First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mistymountainhop

Nov 15, 2005, 4:59 PM
Post #1 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

I hate Pro Climbers!!!
Report this Post
Can't Post

after reading rockrat511's post about 1/4 life crisis. Its not hard for me to figure out im in the same boat. I just transferred to a college where the climbing sucks, climbers are exclusive, my major is heading towards life in a cubicle and its hard to meet anyone as a new upperclassman. Given such a lame position now is disheartening, a little too much so.

How nice would it be to be one of the 3? i mean, they get paid to climb. Be the best at their sports, make money, and have a huge ego all while we mortals surf climbing sites, climb just a couple times a week and go to work/college? Even thinking about it sucks. Once again.........i hate professional climbers. The few that can actually survive off being obnoxiously good.

remi

Nov 16, 2005, 1:26 AM
Post #2 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Re: I hate Caldwell Sharma and Graham!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if it would be that great to be a pro climber, as a dirtbag said to me when he quit the lifestyle to go to med school 'You know, its great, but I don't want to be living in a van when I'm 40.' Full credit to these guys if they can make a living out of it but there's always going to be someone younger, stronger and crazier.

hasbeen

Nov 16, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #3 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not wanting to live in a van at 40, I don't know about that. I used to live in a van. Those were the best years of my life. Now I work in an office, make a fair amount of money, can buy stuff, blah, blah...

Is life better? Not even close. In fact, I may head back to van life again soon. I'm over 40.

Scott Milton was recently staying with me and Fred Beckey came up 'cause he'd been dossing at a friend's house. Scott got all misty eyed and said something like "imagine, being able to stay on the road for over 60 years. He's livin' the dream." Scott's in his 30's and doing just fine on the road himself.

Why do you live? To work? Buy crap? It's the life everyone tries to sell you, that's for sure. But you're going to get old, and you're going to die, no matter which road you take. For chrissakes, man. If you want to climb, climb. Life in a cubicle is worse than prison. I mean, at least in prison you get a lot of time to workout.

Don't believe, go rent Office Space.

Now I'd better get back to those TPS reports or Lumbergh's gonna have me com in a Saturday.

remi

Nov 16, 2005, 3:14 AM
Post #4 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I guess if you're working a job you hate just to buy material crap then you might as well pack it in and go climbing. For my friend I think he'd tasted the lifestyle but thought 'well, maybe this other path is for me.' I didn't mean to slag off the van dwellers :) If you like to work 50 hours a week, more power to you..if you want to drop out and go climb, same again. My dad's 66 and still working 7 days a week, he loves it and won't stop till he's dead. The important thing I guess is to know what you want and to pursue it.

Partner philbox

Nov 16, 2005, 3:40 AM
Post #5 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`m gunna edit the title of this thread to read "I hate Pro climbers". Best we don`t bring personalities into any of the thread titles. We don`t wish to be perceived as attacking individuals.

iltripp

Nov 16, 2005, 3:44 AM
Post #6 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I`m gunna edit the title of this thread to read "I hate Pro climbers". Best we don`t bring personalities into any of the thread titles. We don`t wish to be perceived as attacking individuals.

Censorship, eh phil?? :wink:

Damn the man, i say

mistymountainhop

Nov 16, 2005, 3:48 AM
Post #7 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Re: I hate Pro Climbers!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh. No prob here, but meant the fact that they are some of the few climbers that have a future in climbing............
They have accomplished so much that even if they cant pull anymore they could write a book or be a rep for a big company.

Im not talking dirtbag climbers, i mean the best of the best of the best.

Partner philbox

Nov 16, 2005, 3:50 AM
Post #8 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Censorship, eh phil?? :wink:

Damn the man, i say

Not really, more like wanting to not scare off the pro climbers if they do happen along here. The management has decided that pointed threads aimed at anyone that is a prominent climber should be moderated. They could be perceived as personal attacks and that is not allowed in the TOS. Not only that it is simply poor form and quite uncivil to boot.

iltripp

Nov 16, 2005, 4:00 AM
Post #9 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Understood... I was just yankin' yer chain.

Partner philbox

Nov 16, 2005, 4:09 AM
Post #10 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Understood... I was just yankin' yer chain.

Hee hee, I thought so, but I needed to make myself clear anyway.

htotsu

Nov 16, 2005, 4:46 AM
Post #11 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not really, more like wanting to not scare off the pro climbers if they do happen along here. The management has decided that pointed threads aimed at anyone that is a prominent climber should be moderated. They could be perceived as personal attacks and that is not allowed in the TOS. Not only that it is simply poor form and quite uncivil to boot.
I don't see why this should be limited to "prominent climbers".

boondock_saint

Nov 16, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #12 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well you don't need to be the best of the best to make money in climbing. There can only be so many of those ya know. I think it's about finding your place in the rockclimbing world and making it work for yourself. Take Dan and Dave Chancellor from So Ill Holds for example. They're good but obviously not the best. I had a chance to meet them at the So Ill showdown last weekend and their hold-manufacturing thing seems to be working pretty well for them.

Partner philbox

Nov 16, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #13 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't see why this should be limited to "prominent climbers".

You`ll note that personal attacks are not welcome on rc.com. There has been somewhat of a disconnect on rc.com in regards to the famous climbers who are not actually members here. It seems that in the past it has been open season on them. Not cool at all, in fact some of the rantings have been nigh on close to defamation.

It`s one thing to flame a mamber here and get called on it but it seems that if a name is not a member it is fine to call them for whatever takes ones fancy. That should not be allowed, we don`t put up with personal attacks so why should we allow the other.

We are trying to build a civil community here but there is a disconnect from what we practice here and what we allow for those that aren`t members. People are people whether they are members or not.

kriso9tails

Nov 16, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #14 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the thread title should be changed again lest we mistakenly offend aid climbers. Then again, who really cares if aid climbers get offended?

htotsu

Nov 16, 2005, 6:11 AM
Post #15 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You`ll note that personal attacks are not welcome on rc.com. There has been somewhat of a disconnect on rc.com in regards to the famous climbers who are not actually members here.
People are people whether they are members or not.
This is good - I was agreeing with this. Your previous post made it sound like "prominent climbers" somehow deserved more respect than the rest of us peons.

mistymountainhop

Nov 16, 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #16 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about the one thread a little while back about a certain pro climbers personnal drug usage, was that before names were edited? I remember it got 10+ pages of replies.

Partner philbox

Nov 18, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #17 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about the one thread a little while back about a certain pro climbers personnal drug usage, was that before names were edited? I remember it got 10+ pages of replies.

I`m more concerned with the here and now and into the future so I shall not be commenting on that train wreck.

iltripp

Nov 18, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #18 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I`m more concerned with the here and now and into the future so I shall not be commenting on that train wreck.

Train wreck?!?!?!

Don't you mean "masterful troll"?

Partner philbox

Nov 18, 2005, 3:55 AM
Post #19 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Train wreck?!?!?!

Don't you mean "masterful troll"?

Oh yeah, my mistake. :lol:

ikefromla

Nov 18, 2005, 5:21 AM
Post #20 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe i should drop out of school and climb. i mean, a bunch of my buddies didn't go to college because they wanted to climb full time, and they remain at the top of the game. don't believe me? open a magazine. i mean, if i dropped out of school, i might incur $40,000 of debt with nothing to show for it, but i mean, i'd be climbing hard right? i could just travel around the globe, getting strong and stronger, and avoiding injury due to my youth. i could finally send 5.14 and up the ante seasonally. i should really just quit school now. it's not like studying fine art printmaking and painting and art history is actually going to get me a well-paying job anyway. i think i'm not going to register for next semester, fuck it, i'm buying a truck and building back up my fingers' biceps ...

or i could just STFU and train harder. catch my drift? :wink:

gene723

Nov 18, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #21 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'm sure you're sincere about your moral convictions but I was wondering what was meant by the above. I'm guessing the principle isn't "no attacks on prominent climbers"." Rather, what the managment wants is "no attacks on people that are not members of this site."

wow, the management must be really cool people. For a moment I thought they had an ulterior, possibly business, motive of doing what they can to not offend and even welcoming "famous climbers" (possibly for promotig their own site).

excuse the irony...but that was just a vague intuition. I don't know the managment personally.

remi

Nov 18, 2005, 4:11 PM
Post #22 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
maybe i should drop out of school and climb. i mean, a bunch of my buddies didn't go to college because they wanted to climb full time, and they remain at the top of the game. don't believe me? open a magazine. i mean, if i dropped out of school, i might incur $40,000 of debt with nothing to show for it, but i mean, i'd be climbing hard right? i could just travel around the globe, getting strong and stronger, and avoiding injury due to my youth. i could finally send 5.14 and up the ante seasonally. i should really just quit school now. it's not like studying fine art printmaking and painting and art history is actually going to get me a well-paying job anyway. i think i'm not going to register for next semester, f--- it, i'm buying a truck and building back up my fingers' biceps ...

or i could just STFU and train harder. catch my drift? :wink:

5.15 now I'm afraid...5.14 is sooo 1998 :)

Partner philbox

Nov 18, 2005, 8:55 PM
Post #23 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'm sure you're sincere about your moral convictions but I was wondering what was meant by the above. I'm guessing the principle isn't "no attacks on prominent climbers"." Rather, what the managment wants is "no attacks on people that are not members of this site."

wow, the management must be really cool people. For a moment I thought they had an ulterior, possibly business, motive of doing what they can to not offend and even welcoming "famous climbers" (possibly for promotig their own site).

excuse the irony...but that was just a vague intuition. I don't know the managment personally.

Nope, you need not look for ulterior motives. Plain and simply if someone is going to say derogatory, unfounded and spiteful things about anyone then they best not do that on this site. If you did that in real life to someones face then you`d be asking for a bloody nose so why do it on this website.

It seems that for a while famous climbers were open season. Why is that. People think they can say whatever they like against someone famous. Well we don`t allow that sort of behaviour for the non famous so why should we all it for someone with a little bit of notoriety.

I`m a simple guy who does see things a little more in black and white. The site management has discussed this and this is what we have come up with collectively.

remi

Nov 18, 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #24 of 28 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope George Bush never happens on this website, he'd be seriously pissed off! :) Is sly innuendo ok? Like 'I saw so and so famous climber going into his tent with a nubile young sheep?'

ClimbSoHigh

Jul 1, 2010, 4:30 PM
Post #25 of 28 (1150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [remi] I hate Pro Climbers!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why can't we rip on pros? I could have sworn they are profesional entertainers, and subject to public ridicule like any other sports/entertainment figure. IMO it comes with the paychecks. I didn't watch Pilgramage for Sharma's insight into life that's for sure.

I think the abstract group of climbers you should really get pissed at are the trust fund climbers. They get to climb all day and night, buy what they need whenever, never work a legitamate day, and not have to deal with sponsers. Pro's have to convince their sponsers to send them places. They need to have camera people follow them everywhere, film every attempt, and do sponsership events and sign crap. If they don't climb for a year, they are canned. The trust fund guys, drive BMW's between destinations, travel the world first class to climb, can choose their own schedules, and if they like a particular spot, they can jsut buy or rent a nice place. I got little beef with the pro's since they have a ton of obligations they have to deal with since climbers can't afford agent's to do it for them. Even Sharma, the highest paid climber, has to handle his own PR and contracts. I would much rather be a working chum and climb 5.11 when I want, than have to keep sending 5.15 to keep my sponsers sending paychecks. I have only been climbing for 8 years now and am starting to fall in love with white water kayaking, if I was a pro climber, I wouldn't have time to persue my new activity.

And screw Bush...his policies and personal oil interests are the reason the world is in the crapper now, if he ever comes to this site, I'll tell him personally that he is right up there with Hitler in my book. (and I would love to bad mouth him to his face and watch him trip over his words as he asks Daddy for advice)... bastard. But then again Clinton and Obama are simple the lesser of evils.

...phew, good rant, now back to work!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook