RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

rock_fencer

Dec 24, 2005, 9:12 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Resume
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im looking at working at my wall at school over the summer, and the person in charge got back to me to send her my climbing resume. So i was kinda wondering what all goes into a resume for climbing. ANy ideas would be helpful or if you could post an example of one that be great.

Thanks
T

misanthropic_nihilist

Dec 24, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Resume [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

T-
Just because it's a resume for a climbing job doesn't mean they are only looking for a background in climbing. What type of job are you applying for? Desk position, giving belay tests, belaying for birthday parties, all of the above?
After adequate skills, most gyms want people with outgoing personalities. If possible, I'd drop off your resume in person so she put a face with your name.
On your resume, include anything outdoors related, to show you are enthusiastic. Also make note of any places you've climbed outdoors, and the specific skills you've used (setting TR anchors, sport, lead, rappelling...). State how long you've been climbing.
If you're job will include handling money, make sure you list any job experience with money; maybe even get a reference from that employer.
List any first aid or CPR certifications you have- they'll be a huge bonus for you.
Include a cover letter that explains why you want to work for them and how excited you are to have the opportunity to work at such a great place.

Check your resume and cover letter multiple times for errors, then do it again, then have someone else do it. Even though you wont be writing papers for them, simple errors in your resume let them know you don't care enough about the job to spend 2 minutes proof reading.
The exact format of your resume isn't important, as long as it looks like you spent time to make it look neat.

Good luck

Partner tattooed_climber

Dec 24, 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #3 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you want a CV and a personal skills resume

here's a good example:
http://www.acmg.ca/...0november%202002.pdf

rock_fencer

Dec 24, 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most excellent. Thanks for the help.

T

justafurnaceman

Dec 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #5 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not to hijack this thread but I volunteer with the Young Marines (like a JROTC program) as the PT instructor and I do all of the rappelling. The Commander just asked me about my experience in rappelling and I explained that I've been doing it since I was 8 (i'm 27) and that I rock climb, and he didn't have any problem with it. But I was thinking that if anyone else asked (like one of HIS superiors) I don't know what they might say because I'm not "certified" anywhere.

Is it important to get certified as part of your resume?

timmy_t

Dec 24, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #6 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sure is great when you can get so much help from a misanthropic nihilist. I just had to point that out because I thought it was funny.

misanthropic_nihilist

Dec 25, 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #7 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T-
By the way, if you're looking for an easy way to format your resume, MS Word has some templates, if you don't mind it forcing you to autoformat things....
They also have templates for professional letters- a good start for your cover letter.

FurnaceMan-
The only 'certification' that I know of is through the AMGA. They are extremely expensive, and way too advanced for any indoor climbing facility. I believe the lowest level certification you can get is "Top Rope Site Coordinator" or something like that, and you actually need a fairly extensive climbing resume to even enroll.

rock_fencer

Dec 25, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #8 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

second the question by justafurnaceman. Im not certified by anybody except for a couple of gyms to climb in. All my experience is from just going out and climbing with friends and more systematic stuff from books. I dont even know where i learned how to belay. Learned to sport lead from a friend this past summer.

another question would be how would one present personal experiences.
FOr example ive set bunches of topropes when i go climbing with my friends but i obviously cant say ' yeah i strung some slings together around a tree made sure it was equalized and started climbing'.

tucsonalex

Dec 25, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #9 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
T-
FurnaceMan-
The only 'certification' that I know of is through the AMGA. They are extremely expensive, and way too advanced for any indoor climbing facility. I believe the lowest level certification you can get is "Top Rope Site Coordinator" or something like that, and you actually need a fairly extensive climbing resume to even enroll.

From the AMGA website:

In reply to:
TRSM Course Candidate Pre-Requisites

You meet the pre-requisites for the course if you:

* You are at least age 18.
* You have at least two years prior climbing experience.
* You provide a resume showing at least 40 days of recreational climbing and/or climbing instruction in the past two years or a minimum of five years climbing experience.
* You are able to comfortably set-up top rope climbs, to belay, and to rappel without guidance and can demonstrate basic familiarity with anchoring principles, natural anchors and artificial anchors (wedges, hexes, passive and active cams). These skills may be assessed at the start of the course.
* You are capable of comfortably climbing 5.7 – 5.8 terrain while on a top rope.
* You possess the personal equipment necessary in the course.

Lead climbing experience is highly recommended but not required. If you are unsure of your skill levels we suggest hiring an AMGA/IFMGA certified guide to evaluate and enhance your skills prior to participation.

Those requirements shouldn't be that hard to meet for anyone that's been climbing more than a few years.

brutusofwyde

Dec 25, 2005, 8:51 AM
Post #10 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CLIMBING EXPERIENCE

NOTE:
W = WINTER ASCENT
NR = NEW ROUTE (I.E. FIRST ASCENT)
NV = NEW VARIATION
FFA = FIRST FREE ASCENT
FWA = FIRST WINTER ASCENT OF FORMATION

c_kryll

Dec 25, 2005, 6:02 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Resume:

Gunks, NY: (all Trad)
Nose Dive 5.10a
Retribution 5.10a
Directissima 5.9
Modern Times 5.8+

Seneca Rocks, WV (all Trad)
Triple S 5.8+
Marshalls Madness 5.9
The Burn 5.8
Castor 5.10

Something like the above is what I used when asked for a climbing resume.

cintune

Dec 25, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpinist runs resumes of high-profile climbers every month that would work for a basic format.

misanthropic_nihilist

Dec 25, 2005, 8:20 PM
Post #13 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion, I'd try to tone down the route ratings. Employers aren't looking for the hardest climber around (and definitely not the one who brags the most)- at least for the job T is applying for.

If he was applying to be a guide, I'd recommend listing routes in that area and corresponding ratings. If the gyms wants to know his hardest sends, they can ask him in an interview.

rock_fencer

Dec 25, 2005, 9:11 PM
Post #14 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THanks for all the input. Im pretty much gonna narrow it down to who i am contact info, education level, why i wanna work there and what i could bring, what skills i have learned and from where etc... Ill provide a short tick list of what ive climbed (seeing that its short as is shouldnt be a problem).

The position is officially called a wall supervisor - aka students making sure other students dont do stupid things. Belay tests are included in this position. Hopefully they will let me set some routes cause all of ours are either mad easy or extremely powerfull, not alot of intermediate routes.

Happy holidays and thanks for the help.

T

if anybody is in Greenville SC im frickin bored

misanthropic_nihilist

Dec 26, 2005, 2:41 AM
Post #15 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T-
I'd mention that you would like to set some routes. It's shows you are enthusiastic. Plus it will get others more into climbing (and climbing more often).

Partner grovehunter

Dec 26, 2005, 2:53 AM
Post #16 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Send them a copy of brutus' resume and rest assured you got the job! :lol:
Peace,
chuck

brutusofwyde

Dec 26, 2005, 3:05 AM
Post #17 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(and definitely not the one who brags the most)

Yep, that was why I cut it down to just a few of my Sierra ascents.

:wink:

Since they asked for a "climbing resume", however, It would seem that something like what I posted would be exactly what they are looking for.

Plus mentioning any self rescue, first aid, WFR, or other classes taught or taken.

Partner grovehunter

Dec 26, 2005, 3:30 AM
Post #18 of 18 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly Brutus, he wouldn't want to put too much on his resume or they may begin to think he is overqualified! :P Then his resume gets put in the big pile over on the far reaches of the desk.....
Peace,
Chuck

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook