Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

katona6c

Dec 29, 2005, 7:03 PM
Post #1 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Hello Im new.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently tried some rock climbing with some friends and thought it was tons of fun and a good way to get some excersize. So I was wondering what kind of equipment do I need to buy to get started at my local gym or college wall? Any good sites to buy equipment as well, any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

cal_gundert05

Dec 29, 2005, 7:23 PM
Post #2 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hello Im new. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You've asked some pretty heavy questions my friend. Most college walls are top-ropes, so all you need is a harness, shoes, and a rope (the harness and rope they usually provide). There are plenty of good deals on shoes online, but you should try some on at a local shop before buying any. Oh, don't be suckered into thinking you need shoes 2 sizes too small to climb well. They should be snug but comfortable with no really painful spots. And try them on around the time you expect to be climbing because your feet enlarge slightly throughout the day, so what fit in the morning may not feel comfortable in your evening sessions.
If you can, try to find a partner at an indoor wall that is willing to take you outdoors. They will have all the gear and you can find out what you need/want. The gear will depend on what type of climbing you like to do--sport, top-rope, bouldering, trad.
Here are some good gear websites:
www.pagangear.com
www.gearexpress.com
www.rei.com
www.sierratradingpost.com
and there's a link at the bottom of this page for shoes at www.altrec.com

Good luck

overlord

Dec 29, 2005, 7:25 PM
Post #3 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

youll need shoes and chalkbag.

the next step is a harness or a crashpad.

and then, if you bought the harness, a rope plus whichever gear youll need.

if you bought the crashpad, youre a boulderer and youre screwed :P

rockhound71

Dec 29, 2005, 7:26 PM
Post #4 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome!!!

katona6c

Dec 29, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #5 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think im going to do both bouldering and big wall. They both seem fun, but bouldering seems like something i can do in my free time at the local gym. Anyone possible know any shops in Santa Barbara where I could purchase gear?

bobruef

Dec 29, 2005, 7:28 PM
Post #6 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can usually rent gear for a while. Most gyms rent everything. Then, you'll need the following in this rough order:

chalkbag (doesn't matter which kind you get)
shoes (try many on, snug is good, painful is not)

Harness (again, try many on, get assistance)
Belay device and locking Caribiner (I'd highly reccomend the new ATC-guide by black daimond, it comes out in late jan)

If you want to purchase gear online, watch the Hotdeals thread on this site, it's your best source for discounts on the web. Other than that, I like gearexpress.com

Again, make sure you try on many shoes. Do not buy agressively curved models. You're probably going to want some lace-ups. An exception is the Madrock flash, which is a great velcro shoe, and the price is right. Stay away from slippers. Don't let some retard at your local shop force you into shoes 2 sizes too small, but they need to be snug. As for the Harness, a good climbing shop should have some method of letting you sit in and hang, in a harness before you buy it. For a beginner harness, I'd suggest the BD momentum-al, or a petzl (more comfortable, self doubling back buckles). You can purchase a package deal with the BD momentum-al, a chalkbag, chalk, a locking biner, and an atc for pretty cheap (under 80 bucks at gearexpress). I'd try on the harness first though.

If you went with madrock flash shoes, and that package, you could well on your way to a lifetime of gear-whoring debauchery for under $150. When you're ready to toprope, you can easily get the gear to do that (rope and anchoring material) for under 200 bucks if not 150.

Have fun, good luck, and be safe

clayman

Dec 29, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #7 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, welcome to climbing. Be prepared to alienate all your non-climbing friends and relatives, sell blood and plasma to support your climbing habits and never sleep (too busy planning next trip). As for gear, others have pretty much summed that up. But, I would say that the most crucial piece of "equipment" is finding a compatible (experienced) partner who is as into climbing as you are going to be...because you will be addicted...(dark Yoda voice)... you will be...you will be

also, I would say that unless you have an experienced big wall climbing partner you shouldn't be trying any big walls this early in your climbing career. Stick to small stuff to work everything out. Cheers

cl

maldaly

Dec 29, 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #8 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of good info here: http://www.spadout.com/rock_climbing/rock_climbing.htm
Mal

climbmore999

Dec 29, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #9 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A chalkbag and shoes are essential, once you get going make sure you buy a good, comfortable harness. The more you get into the sport the more you'll learn. Your local gym is a great place to find answers to all your climbing questions.

plund

Dec 29, 2005, 8:48 PM
Post #10 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before this gets off the first page, I feel obligated to issue a preemptive "STFU, n00b"!!!

If you don't realize I'm kidding, please flee this site NOW...thick skin required!

***WELCOME*** from one n00b to another!

enjoimx

Dec 29, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #11 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Overlord Wrote:

In reply to:
youll need shoes and chalkbag.

the next step is a harness or a crashpad.

and then, if you bought the harness, a rope plus whichever gear youll need.

if you bought the crashpad, youre a boulderer and youre screwed

There is so much wisdom in this quote! I love it. :lol:

enjoimx

Dec 29, 2005, 9:11 PM
Post #12 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah...in Santa Barbara on State street there is a gear shop called something-Outfitters. I forgot the first part of their name. Its the only gear shop on State Street I think.

Have fun and check out Brickyard for amazing bouldering.

dudemanbu

Dec 30, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #13 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chalk is for losers.

That being said, you need shoes, a harness, a belay device, a locking biner, and someone to teach you how to tie in and belay safely in order to climb indoors.

To climb outdoors, you need a book on anchors, a dynamic rope, webbing and a cordolette for setting equalized anchors, a few more locking biners, maybe some hardware for setting anchors when there aren't trees around, and a book and a person/class to teach you how to use all your new gear.

Maybe in a few months you'll be ready to move to leading sport.

thomasribiere

Dec 30, 2005, 9:05 AM
Post #14 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Chalk is for losers.
That's why people said chalkbag and not chalk! But I agree, the chalk might not be essential at the beginning, considering you might use one for 2 (it's more difficult with the harness and with the shoes).

As we are talking of chalkbags, someone said something like "any chalkbag". I disagree.
Not so important, but not a completely stupid topic : buy a wide one (in which you can dip you full hand - some are so narrow you can only put 3 fingers inside - annoying!), with a good closing system (nothing more irritating than to open the backpack and to see some chalk dispersed in it). Less important might be the way it's attached : through a small biner on the harness, or with a webbing around the hips (the second solution might be the best if you both boulder and climb). Not important, but that's what is nice in chalkbags : the funny colours (cow-like, tiger-like, all red so it's nice on pictures... as you want, have fun with it).

I can't believe I made such a long answer for a chalkbag. Free time...

whoa

Dec 30, 2005, 5:54 PM
Post #15 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chalkbag attachment---a valid use for a keychain biner? or maybe a cable tie?

jld1167

Dec 30, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #16 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Before this gets off the first page, I feel obligated to issue a preemptive "STFU, n00b"!!!

I have only been on the site for a couple months, but what is STFU?
I've done searches and can't figure it out.

samxbam8

Dec 30, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #17 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I have only been on the site for a couple months, but what is STFU?
I've done searches and can't figure it out.

STFU n00b!!!!! no its ok i'm n00beish too

reg

Dec 30, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #18 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shut the F#$k up ( i think)(googled stfu)

samxbam8

Dec 30, 2005, 6:13 PM
Post #19 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ouch

curt

Dec 30, 2005, 6:15 PM
Post #20 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Chalk is for losers.

Or for those of us who climb harder than 5.6 :wink:

Curt

jld1167

Dec 30, 2005, 6:32 PM
Post #21 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
shut the F#$k up ( i think)(googled stfu)

Thanks

twiggy

Dec 30, 2005, 6:55 PM
Post #22 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't go out and buy all this crap you don't know what to do with. Get yourself a comfortable pair of shoes but don't go out and spend tons of money becuase you'll ruin them fast until your feet obtain a feel for the rock. Once you get your shoes, just get a chalkbag and you're good to go. I recommend starting off bouldering until you get a feel for moving on rock. Who know's you may think you like it now and hate it once you take a bunch of spills and realize it can hurt. Bouldering is also good to meet new people that can introduce you to the ropes, and it also helps build strength. My main point --> don't buy all this shit until you learn to use it!!

leezerdgirl

Dec 30, 2005, 8:20 PM
Post #23 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
unless you have an experienced big wall climbing partner you shouldn't be trying any big walls this early in your climbing career. Stick to small stuff to work everything out. Cheers

I think there may be some confusion here. Katana6c probably means toproping walls in the gym, not actual big walls (which, for the unintiated, are huge outdoor faces that can take multiple days to climb, like El Capitan in Yosemite).

If what you meant was a gym wall, then that's fine to do as a brand spankin' new climber. Those walls are actually easier for many people to learn on, as opposed to bouldering which packs a lot of difficulty into a short vertical span.

To summarize:

For gym bouldering, you need shoes, maybe a chalk bag, and shorts or pants that don't bind, crush your bits, nor slide off your ass. (Please. Do it for the ladies). You don't need a shirt though (again, for the ladies...and probably some of the gentlemen :D ). If you're bouldering outside, add a crash pad.

For gym toproping, you need harness and shoes at minimum, the aforementioned pants, and probably a chalk bag. If you're going to belay others, add a locking carabiner and belay device (probably an ATC).

If you're going to start setting up your own topropes outside, you'll need more gear, but you're definitely not there yet. Wait until you've been taken outside by experienced folks a few times before you start worrying about that stuff.

elvislegs

Dec 30, 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #24 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welcome to the sport. here is a link to some answers to the questions you asked, and some other information you should know.
cheers.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/site/faq/index.php?t=28

colotopian

Dec 30, 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #25 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, welcome to rc.com and climbing!
As you have seen philosophy, and opinions are abundant in this web site, and you will learn this is for the sport at large too. I have been a member of rc.com for like a month, but have climbed for a couple years. I have had the privilage of climbing in many of the facets that make up climbing so far, and look forward to doing more. My advice is this...

>>"So I was wondering what kind of equipment do I need"
The best equipment is a good head and a good mentor. In the long run, watch your ass, and your partners ass. Keep things in perspective, dont do anything stupid unless you can see yourself (and everyone else) walking away from it, and keep climbing. Experience is an asset, and the only way to get experience is practice. So far, the worst result from an accident I have seen is from a college gym wall. Gravity works everywhere on this planet regardless of the chalk bag or shoes you own.

>>"to buy to get started at my local gym or college wall?"
Shoes are just about essential (different shoes fit different feet. go with snug abd w/o pain or slipping), as is a harness, unless you want to protect yourself by other means or climb alone (both of which are generally not an option in society, but outside is another story). A bouldering pad is great, it saves your ankles and etc., it's also great to sleep on if needed (for outside).

>>"Any good sites to buy equipment as well,"
I try to be consistant with gear because of sizing issues... (this is a can of worms). Use your best judgment. The simplest systems are the best.
www.bdel.com
www.patagonia.com
...shop locally if you can, for many reasons though. One of which is you get to meet people who climb doing this.
Good luck! Have fun!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook