Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Good climing/camping in Arkansas
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbhigh2005

Jan 13, 2006, 1:59 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Good climing/camping in Arkansas  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Hawksbill: Lower_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am going on a road trip and was planning on stayin a few nights in Arkansas... We may have a pop up trailer... Where is the cheapest/most climber friendly place to stay? Also where are the best places to climb? thanks!

Partner tgreene

Jan 13, 2006, 2:28 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Re: Good climing/camping in Arkansas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jamestown in the Batesville area is a great place for sport & limited trad, and has a great area to camp that is trailer friendly.

It's my local crag, so if you're interested in more details, gimmie a call...

Tim Greene
870-627-0594

cliffhanger2040

Jan 13, 2006, 2:29 AM
Post #3 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been there but I'm considering the Horseshoe canyon ranch. five bucks a night to camp? I'm planning on checking in out in a couple of weeks from now. Oh yea... five bucks a day to climb there.

pendereki

Jan 13, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Horseshoe Canyon Ranch is great, camping in sight of 300 bolted sandstone routes, 5.4 to 5.12 or something. routebook is available free online at www.climbhcr.com. This is just across the road from some great hiking and camping on the Buffalo National river. Let me know if you would like more info 'bout this area.

Chad

bsignorelli

Jan 13, 2006, 6:18 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's free camping this time of year at Steele Creek and Kyles Landing...both are just a couple of miles from HCR. If yo uwere towing a trailer I'd go to Steel Creek first...their road tends to be nicer.

climbhigh2005

Jan 13, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys... How much is the camping at Jamestown that is trailer friendly? Also are these places dog friendly? ( I am hoping to get a dog as soon as I get my own place off campus)

kaylinr

Jan 13, 2006, 5:24 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do yourself a favor and check out Horseshoe Canyon if its your first trip through Arkansas. There are other great climbing camping areas in the state, but they either don't have guides, or the guides are nearly impossible to get. If you can find someone to guide you then there are a dozen areas that are worth the vist, especially this time of year. If your coming through the state without a guide go to HCR. You can camp for free on the Buffalo river. Steele creek has much better roads than Kyles Landing, but both are great. The $5 a day thing at the ranch is your honor (the way it should be) and is well worth it. You can print the HCR guide of the web for free.

cliffhanger2040

Jan 13, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so the weather is typically decent this time of year? in the next 2 or 3 weeks? what about rain? also I'm coming for hopefully a week. Anyone willing to show me around the hcr?

Partner tgreene

Jan 14, 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camping would be free at Jamestown, and dogs are not a concern, although I would not advise taking a brand new dog into an unknown wilderness area.

You could easily hit Jamestown and HCR, because Jamestown is more towards the NE part of the state, while HCR is NW... Just something to consider.

Also, if you hit Jamestown, it's likely that you'll have an oppportunity to climb w/ the guy that actually developed the whole place. If I'm off of my crutches by the time you get this way, I can certainly show you around the area and spend some time out there as well, because I'm self employed and currently have no contracts that I'm working on... I just have to be able to walk, that's all. ;)

crzdriver

Jan 15, 2006, 8:56 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weather-most years I would tell you to bring a boat, but we are in the middle of a drought, and the NOAA forecasts that it won't be leaving us anytime soon. Expect the current roller coaster for several weeks-seasonally cold one day; a sauna the next. The link for HCR is http://www.climbhcr.com

yamama

Jan 15, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, both places Jamestown and HCR are great. I guess it just depends on where in arkansas you will be or if you have enough time for both places. Jamestown is near Batesville, HCR is near.... Jasper (Bob's Ag. Market).

What kind of car/truck will you be taking?

fitzontherocks

Jan 17, 2006, 2:36 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a good statewide overview: http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/Rock-Climbing/. The weather today: 61 and misty. And it's January. Go figure.

Partner csgambill

Jan 17, 2006, 2:57 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really have to say, HCR is a sport climber's paradise. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of trad, but the sheer number of climbs you can crush into one day makes up for the lack of trad routes.
Here's the website:
http://www.climbhcr.com

Steel(sp) Creek was definitely a nice, well-kept campground. During warmer weather it was great to get back to camp after a long day of climbing and go for a swim in the river. Then grab an ice cold beer that's been chilling in the river. Mmm... good times. Just buy your beer BEFORE you get to Arkansas. Otherwise you'll have to drive all the way back to Branson MO!

The first time I was there, my buddy and I stopped in a little "convenience" store - really just a shack on the side of the road with a couple old cans of something - and asked if they had any alcohol. The dude in there said, "Only the local kind, and that'll make you go blind." :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook