Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

organic

Jan 19, 2006, 1:24 AM
Post #101 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vegetarianism + climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
we see that taking protein from poultry is 1.4 times more efficient than taking it from soy. Beef indeed looks very inefficent.

because the only thing poultry needs to grow is corn, right?

you can compare the two (tofu and poultry) but it's more complex than you're making it seem/reading the numbers. the 16 lbs of wheat for a lb of beef doesn't include all the water it takes, for feeding the cow, nor for washign away the feces and urine of the cow, not to mention cleaning the stall, the cow, the equipment, etc. there are all kinds of other resources used in the growing of meat. the food the animals eat is just one of those resources.

sure, both soybeans and beef require harvesting, and trucking, and storage, but do soybeans require someone to wash their s--- away daily?

do you know what a cattle ranch smells like? betcha do.
do you know what a soybean farm smells like? betcha don't.

Actually meat is so much easier to produce and far more environmentally friendly than modern agriculture! Funny how most vegans don't know the facts. Free range bison and cattle require little to no supervision and can live off the land, actually contributing significantly to the prairie and grassland ecosystem(Ted Turner's ranch is an example). Many many scientific papers on this. While agriculture has destroyed the prairies in North America and continues to threaten the whole ecosystem of the united States by fertilizer run-off, removing the top soil layer causing erosion, wiping out whole ecosystems of plants.

The thing is there really is no such thing as sustainable agriculture, rice paddies in asia are the closest anything comes and I would like to see you live off of just rice. Meat has more calories and energy for the amount eaten and is far less harmful to our environment when farmed properly.

veganboyjosh

Jan 19, 2006, 1:30 AM
Post #102 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Free range bison and cattle require little to no supervision and can live off the land, actually contributing significantly to the prairie and grassland ecosystem(Ted Turner's ranch is an example). Many many scientific papers on this.

i'm not disputing that wild animals take less resources than freakin factory farmed beef. i don't think anyone is.

how much of the meat in the average grocery store comes from free range bison?

In reply to:
Meat... is far less harmful to our environment when farmed properly.

again, how much of the beef at safeway was farmed properly? the pork? the turducken?

jred

Jan 19, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #103 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Free range bison and cattle require little to no supervision and can live off the land, actually contributing significantly to the prairie and grassland ecosystem(Ted Turner's ranch is an example). Many many scientific papers on this.

i'm not disputing that wild animals take less resources than freakin factory farmed beef. i don't think anyone is.

how much of the meat in the average grocery store comes from free range bison?

In reply to:
Meat... is far less harmful to our environment when farmed properly.

again, how much of the beef at safeway was farmed properly? the pork? the turducken?
How many vegetables at Safeway are grown properly? How much soy is not genetically modified?

leezerdgirl

Jan 19, 2006, 1:43 AM
Post #104 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just curious, does anybody know of any gold medal winning, power lifters, sprinters, gymnasts who are vegan? What about top climbers, any of those vegan?

How about Carl Lewis? More famous veg and vegan athletes on http://www.veganathlete.com/ or http://www.geocities.com/healthyadvice/Fitness-Exercise-Q5

Also Organic Athlete fields teams of pro and amateur competitive vegan athletes http://www.organicathlete.org

roy_hinkley_jr

Jan 19, 2006, 1:44 AM
Post #105 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Just curious, does anybody know of any gold medal winning, power lifters, sprinters, gymnasts who are vegan? What about top climbers, any of those vegan?

carl lewis, the gold medal winning runner is. and has a nice cookbook out too.

Bad example. He tested positive 3 times for masking drugs.

can_climber

Jan 19, 2006, 2:09 AM
Post #106 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know I am just a "2 poster", but I hope I can contribute to this "discussion".

The people contributing to this post should take a step back, and think about what kind of evidence they would need to see to change their mind.
Meat -> Veggies
Veggies -> Meat
If all you plan on doing is pointing out false dichotomies and building straw man arguments, you ought to stop posting and enter politics. Part of discussing or arguing is keeping an open mind, and using with discretion the principle of charity. If you can not do those things, please save your breath, because you will never convince anyone of your ideas.

There is plenty of information on vegan/veggism, and plenty against it. Don't look to a thread by rock climbers for info. Go to a couple of performance doctors and nutritionists.

Above all, try to use what amount of reason and common sense you might happen to have. Cause we don't all have the same amount.

jred

Jan 19, 2006, 2:40 AM
Post #107 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know I am just a "2 poster", but I hope I can contribute to this "discussion".

The people contributing to this post should take a step back, and think about what kind of evidence they would need to see to change their mind.
Meat -> Veggies
Veggies -> Meat
If all you plan on doing is pointing out false dichotomies and building straw man arguments, you ought to stop posting and enter politics. Part of discussing or arguing is keeping an open mind, and using with discretion the principle of charity. If you can not do those things, please save your breath, because you will never convince anyone of your ideas.

There is plenty of information on vegan/veggism, and plenty against it. Don't look to a thread by rock climbers for info. Go to a couple of performance doctors and nutritionists.

Above all, try to use what amount of reason and common sense you might happen to have. Cause we don't all have the same amount.
This is very well thought out advice, delivered in a clear concise fashion. What the hell is it doing on rockclimbing.com.

veganboyjosh

Jan 19, 2006, 2:52 AM
Post #108 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Meat -> Veggies
Veggies -> Meat

This is very well thought out advice, delivered in a clear concise fashion. What the hell is it doing on rockclimbing.com.

haha. good call. freakin arguing on the internet...

jemco

Jan 19, 2006, 2:57 AM
Post #109 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I have been fascinated by the bizarre arguments both for and against a vegetarian diet, I would like to get back to the main post. I have been a vegetarian for 18 years now (no fish, no eggs, occasional cheese) and I seem to have suffered no ill effects--in fact I climb harder than most of the people I regularly climb with. I think the most important thing to do is to follow your conviction and morality and do what you think is right. If you are disgusted with the meat industry, stay away from it. Despite what the other posters on this site spew, eating lower on the food chain is more efficient. They seem to forget all the land, water and grain it takes to get the cows, pigs and chickens to be big enough to eat. When you factor in the energy required to maintain a cow (heating, shitting, growing, walking, etc...) it is obvious that that land/water would be better spent on a)grains for human consumption, or b)land left to rest. While I agree that much agricultural land is in poor condition, lets look to the government's subsidy program to blame there, NOT vegetarianism.

I always wonder why meat eaters come out so strongly against vegetarians...are they afraid the meat industry is near collapse?? It sounds like all the right wingers crying about the attacks on Christmas...as if we are in some danger of Christmas going away (I wish!)
jemco

crazyakclimber

Jan 19, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #110 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, if you become a vegetarian it will improve your climbing????

jred

Jan 19, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #111 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Although I have been fascinated by the bizarre arguments both for and against a vegetarian diet, I would like to get back to the main post. I have been a vegetarian for 18 years now (no fish, no eggs, occasional cheese) and I seem to have suffered no ill effects--in fact I climb harder than most of the people I regularly climb with. I think the most important thing to do is to follow your conviction and morality and do what you think is right. If you are disgusted with the meat industry, stay away from it. Despite what the other posters on this site spew, eating lower on the food chain is more efficient. They seem to forget all the land, water and grain it takes to get the cows, pigs and chickens to be big enough to eat. When you factor in the energy required to maintain a cow (heating, s---, growing, walking, etc...) it is obvious that that land/water would be better spent on a)grains for human consumption, or b)land left to rest. While I agree that much agricultural land is in poor condition, lets look to the government's subsidy program to blame there, NOT vegetarianism.

I always wonder why meat eaters come out so strongly against vegetarians...are they afraid the meat industry is near collapse?? It sounds like all the right wingers crying about the attacks on Christmas...as if we are in some danger of Christmas going away (I wish!)
jemco
Wow! As an omnivore I thought that the vegans were way more aggressive in this thread, I guess it is just ones perception.
I do find it funny how after all of the arguments pro and con that have quoted various studies etc. have been dismissed with a simple "eating lower on the food chain is more efficient". What are your sources? It is not as you have stated "obvious" to me and apparently many others.
People are not against vegetarians they are against preachy, self righteous vegetarians.
By the way, why would you attack a persons religion or political position to make a point about diet?
It is all just a big conspiracy by the right wingers though isn't it?

cliffwoman

Jan 19, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #112 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being a veggie is awesome-- only positive impacts on life and climbing (just make sure to get your iron).
You don't need 'sources' to show that being a vegetarian conserves resources -- it just makes SENSE. fewer animals to feed = more grain for people that need it. and all those cute animals get to live a happy life :)
also -- if you're not up for a full-on veggie diet, try just buying organic for a while, you still get to eat it and its guilt free

styndall

Jan 19, 2006, 4:13 AM
Post #113 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I do not know the numbers, but I would not be surprised if the animal protein requires less -- after all, evolution means efficiency.

prepare to be surprised.

1 lb of beef= 16 pounds of edible grain and soybeans
1 lb of pork= 4.11 pounds of wheat
1 lb of poultry=1.8 pounds of corn

OK, I found it myself. The protein content in soybeans is only about 40 % (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean). That means:

1 lb of soy protein = 2.5 lb of soybeans, assuming that 100% of soy protein is digestable. Thus, assuming that it takes the same resources to gow 1 lb of corn and 1 lb of soybeans (which is a rather crude assumption, soybeans may require more resources), we see that taking protein from poultry is 1.4 times more efficient than taking it from soy. Beef indeed looks very inefficent.

If you wish to measure only the protein in soybeans and ignore the rest, it's only fair that you do the same for the meat.

Google suggests that beef averages a little under fifty grams in a six ounce portion (some cuts more, some cuts less, so I'm being generous.)

16oz * (50grams/6oz)= ~135 grams of protein in a pound of beef.

Again says google: 135 grams = 0.297624054 pounds

1 pound is ~450 grams.

450/135 = 3.333 etc.

Therefor you need three and a third pounds of beed to get one pound of protein. So you need 2.5 pounds of soybeans to get one pound of protein, as opposed to needing 3.3 pounds of beef, which requires 53.3 pounds of human edible grains.

For poultry, I looked at chicken, which is ~30% protein. Thus, you'll need just over three pounds of chicken to get a pound of protein. Thus, you'll need five and a half pounds edible grain to get a pound of protein from chicken.

Also, like I've pointed out earlier, you're focusing on soy protein to the point of obsession. Many vegetarians, myself included, will sometimes go days, weeks, months, or years without eating any tofu.

In reply to:
hese are good numbers, but not sufficient to justify your point. They do not take into account all these non-perfectly looking tomatos and apples with a little scratch here or there that farmers destroy, or the wast amounts of food been daily damped by supermarkets, restaurants, or wasted in our households. In less developed countries, they waste less. I know as I grew up in one.

This is fundamentally ridiculous. The difference in America at 1.6 hectares and indonesia at .2 hectares is throwing away bruised fruit? You're stating that American grocers throw away 7/8s of our nations total agricultural output. You're either insane or just being disingenuous.

styndall

Jan 19, 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #114 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wow! As an omnivore I thought that the vegans were way more aggressive in this thread, I guess it is just ones perception.

If you think this, you should re-read the thread. Collegekid asked for tips on being a vegetarian. Some folks, me included, gave him some. Then a bunch of people came by arguing that vegetarianism is stupid and silly and that none of the reasons for being a vegetarian are rational at all.

In reply to:
I do find it funny how after all of the arguments pro and con that have quoted various studies etc. have been dismissed with a simple "eating lower on the food chain is more efficient". What are your sources? It is not as you have stated "obvious" to me and apparently many others.

Perhaps you missed the section comparing land use quantities. Or where Annak dismissed that argument based on the bizarre notion that American grocers throw away the vast majority of the food the nation's farmers grow as bruised and unattractive. Perhaps you missed where veganboyjosh listed data regarding the quantities of human-edible grains required to produce a given quantity of human edible meat.

In reply to:
People are not against vegetarians they are against preachy, self righteous vegetarians.
By the way, why would you attack a persons religion or political position to make a point about diet?

The thing is, none of this was preachy until somebody attacked vegetarianism. I personally don't really care how YOU eat. You and Annak and some other folks seem to want to call me stupid for how I choose to eat, and I take issue with that.

crazyakclimber

Jan 19, 2006, 4:30 AM
Post #115 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I just ate a GIANT salad!!! :lol:

annak

Jan 19, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #116 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I do not know the numbers, but I would not be surprised if the animal protein requires less -- after all, evolution means efficiency.

prepare to be surprised.

1 lb of beef= 16 pounds of edible grain and soybeans
1 lb of pork= 4.11 pounds of wheat
1 lb of poultry=1.8 pounds of corn

OK, I found it myself. The protein content in soybeans is only about 40 % (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean). That means:

1 lb of soy protein = 2.5 lb of soybeans, assuming that 100% of soy protein is digestable. Thus, assuming that it takes the same resources to gow 1 lb of corn and 1 lb of soybeans (which is a rather crude assumption, soybeans may require more resources), we see that taking protein from poultry is 1.4 times more efficient than taking it from soy. Beef indeed looks very inefficent.

If you wish to measure only the protein in soybeans and ignore the rest, it's only fair that you do the same for the meat.

Google suggests that beef averages a little under fifty grams in a six ounce portion (some cuts more, some cuts less, so I'm being generous.)

16oz * (50grams/6oz)= ~135 grams of protein in a pound of beef.

Again says google: 135 grams = 0.297624054 pounds

1 pound is ~450 grams.

450/135 = 3.333 etc.

Therefor you need three and a third pounds of beed to get one pound of protein. So you need 2.5 pounds of soybeans to get one pound of protein, as opposed to needing 3.3 pounds of beef, which requires 53.3 pounds of human edible grains.

For poultry, I looked at chicken, which is ~30% protein. Thus, you'll need just over three pounds of chicken to get a pound of protein. Thus, you'll need five and a half pounds edible grain to get a pound of protein from chicken.

Also, like I've pointed out earlier, you're focusing on soy protein to the point of obsession. Many vegetarians, myself included, will sometimes go days, weeks, months, or years without eating any tofu.

In reply to:
hese are good numbers, but not sufficient to justify your point. They do not take into account all these non-perfectly looking tomatos and apples with a little scratch here or there that farmers destroy, or the wast amounts of food been daily damped by supermarkets, restaurants, or wasted in our households. In less developed countries, they waste less. I know as I grew up in one.

This is fundamentally ridiculous. The difference in America at 1.6 hectares and indonesia at .2 hectares is throwing away bruised fruit? You're stating that American grocers throw away 7/8s of our nations total agricultural output. You're either insane or just being disingenuous.

As I was saying, to make a just comparison between the diets one needs much more detailed data than those numbers we jiggled so far. Yes, protein content per gram, and resources to produce that protein, and factors accounting for protein quality (indeed, you can not get all your protein from tofu, as it does not have a complete set of amino acids, I just used it as an example of the most protein rich non-animal food -- to make things look better for vegeterians).

The post by organic on the previous page states that meat production is much more efficient and sustainable than agriculture, it sounds that he may back up his claim by the numbers.

Could it be that the americans are wasting 7/8 of the agricultural output? Based on what I see on everyday basis -- I would not be at all surprised!
Besides, the difference you present may be due to numerous other diet componets -- e.g., what about'em potatos or calorie-low green salads?

styndall

Jan 19, 2006, 5:04 AM
Post #117 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
The post by organic on the previous page states that meat production is much more efficient and sustainable than agriculture, it sounds that he may back up his claim by the numbers.

This is indisputably correct. Hunting and gathering and herding as practiced by many more primitive cultures is far more ecologically sound and sustainable than modern farming. Herd of bison on vast stretches of grassland is an ideal (ecologically speaking) food source for very small groups of people. Nota bene that on the African plain, for every cheetah there are several hundreds of gazelle (the number given in a Nature article I read a few years ago was 400, give or a take a few).

However, meat these days, you might notice, is practically never produced in this fashion. Modern factory farming, which we absolutely require in order to bring our vast population the quantity of meat it wishes to have, is astoundingly inefficient and ecologically destructive.

In the idyllic and pastoral world organic describes, eating bison with our small hunting and gathering band could never be looked at as environmentally damaging. Eating burgers in quantity in our population heavy urban society, however, is another matter entirely. Conflating the two is a mistake.

crazyakclimber

Jan 19, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #118 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NO, I mean this salad was HUGE HUGE!!! NO JOKE! :shock:

veganboyjosh

Jan 19, 2006, 5:10 AM
Post #119 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
NO, I mean this salad was HUGE HUGE!!! NO JOKE! :shock:

http://www.mikedaisey.com/images/bigsalad.jpg

annak

Jan 19, 2006, 5:11 AM
Post #120 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You don't need 'sources' to show that being a vegetarian conserves resources -- it just makes SENSE.

Priceless! That concludes the discussion.

crazyakclimber

Jan 19, 2006, 5:12 AM
Post #121 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YESSSS!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE TOO!!!! :lol: :lol:

pnoone

Jan 19, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #122 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppppppppp!!!

Sorry. That was my vegetarian gas propelling me through the dyno crux of my favorite 5.14 pitch.

darkbluerabbit

Jan 19, 2006, 9:34 AM
Post #123 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel great as a vegetarian, and I think I'm making a great choice both for my health and my beliefs, but that's just me. Different bodies have different requirements, and different people adapt better to different lifestyles.

A lot of people recommend talking to your doctor before making a major dietary change, and it's definitely something one should consider before going veggie. I do know a former vegetarian who became so anemic that she passed out at work. Maybe she wasn't being smart enough about it, or maybe she just wasn't physically suited to vegetarianism.

In reply to:
Have you ever wondered why do you have these canine teeths, in the first place?

As for this argument, my canines are so flat they shouldn't even be called canines. I have a great set of herbivore choppers and I use them as such, unless I am biting humans, which I tend to do frequently.

They are not defenseless and often very much deserve it.

jred

Jan 19, 2006, 7:07 PM
Post #124 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If you think this, you should re-read the thread. Collegekid asked for tips on being a vegetarian. Some folks, me included, gave him some. Then a bunch of people came by arguing that vegetarianism is stupid and silly and that none of the reasons for being a vegetarian are rational at all.

In reply to:

Perhaps you missed the section comparing land use quantities. Or where Annak dismissed that argument based on the bizarre notion that American grocers throw away the vast majority of the food the nation's farmers grow as bruised and unattractive. Perhaps you missed where veganboyjosh listed data regarding the quantities of human-edible grains required to produce a given quantity of human edible meat.

In reply to:

The thing is, none of this was preachy until somebody attacked vegetarianism. I personally don't really care how YOU eat. You and Annak and some other folks seem to want to call me stupid for how I choose to eat, and I take issue with that.
To answer your first point, colkid asked for advice and was given it by various people. Because that advice was not yours you take it as an attack. Vegetarians here were describing being an omnivore as cruel and un-environmental.
As to your diet being more environmentally friendly I would have to disagree. If you would just read the posts I think you will find that there are strong arguments otherwise.
When did anybody call you stupid? When did anybody even insult you at all, other than not agreeing with your point of view?

wonderwoman

Jan 20, 2006, 3:45 AM
Post #125 of 522 (23728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been on a vegetarian diet, excluding occassional fish, for nearly 10yrs or so now. I have been climbing just as long and I consider myself a pretty healthy eater and a healthy person.

I also have high cholesterol and have been told to stay away from animal products, so the vegetarian diet works for me. I usually snack throughout the day on nuts, fruit, hummus, etc. I also stick to unprocessed foods since I get really nasty migraines from MSG which seems to be in all food that taste good (but are really bad for you anyway). This is a bummer when I go to eat over someone's house and I'm afraid to eat the food. I can't eat out too much, either.

So I make my lunch every day with the simplest ingredients. My coworkers think it's funny that I call lunch a peanut butter sandwich and some yogurt while they order chinese! I'm a good cook and have become really creative with my meals. I am also the queen of snacking!

In reply to:
I'm considering eating Fish, however, since it seems to be healthier than land animals (I've thought about mercury levels though, and that kinda worries me).

You don't really have to worry about the mercury too much unless you are a woman of childbearing age (who intends to have children) or a child whose brain is still developing. But the fish high in Hg are the larger, older predator fish like swordfish, king mackeral, tile fish, shark or tuna (steak). Moderation is key, but personally I would never eat swordfish because it is really high in Hg.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook