RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

kydd76

Feb 4, 2006, 2:55 AM
Post #1 of 3 (3370 views)
Shortcut

top rope solo.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today I did an ice route on top rope solo. I have a long back ground in ropes and know how to set many types of top rope solo systems and sound anchors. I was Ice climbing which is a new medium too me as for as climbing goes. So I set my rope and then double, triple checked my system. I rapped off the rope with no problem. When I got to the bottom I switched over my gear for the ascent. I check my harness and every thing else twice before I set off.

Then fear, came after my first move. The fear was not in the rope are my gear. A could almost not move. So I down climbed, and was ready to quit. I started to think about the warrior’s way, I could climb with the fear and learn, or leave the climb with out regret. Then I thought about what I had to learn from this. The fear of gear failing was unjustified since the rope was solid and I had already rapped on the system. The ice was prime in conditions for climbing and was not going to fall down either.

Since as I said ice is new to me, I started to think there are a lot of thing that I can learn about ice. I can learn how it grows, flows, falls, and then most of all how it feels to climb on. I let go of my fear of the system failing and my fear of the unknown. I started to move up the flow, knowing that I was in for an adventure. Every move got easier as the adventure grew bigger. I still had fear but let it help guide me on my adventure, instead of limit me to a failed climb. I felt like I was really growing on the inside as I let the fear help guide me. I thought in an open mind, as to let my mind learn from what I was doing. What was it I feared in this climb? Why was I scared? Then I put those thoughts away, with the statement out load to my self about how much fun I was having.

Then I was sitting on top of the route laughing and watching the traffic pass below. I could only think about how much fun the route had turn out to be. It fractured and plated on me in spots. I saw water flowing under the ice in a magic rainbow of white and clear blue. I learned where my feet would feel solid. I learned most of all that my fear was real but unjustified in this time and place. I needed my fear to learn, and grow.

treez

Feb 4, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #2 of 3 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Re: top rope solo. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa. That's deep, dude.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 4, 2006, 4:59 AM
Post #3 of 3 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Re: top rope solo. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like a child jumping in a puddle after a summer rain.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook