Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
seneca ??s
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alex234

Feb 8, 2006, 6:18 PM
Post #1 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

seneca ??s  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Seneca_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey guys
im plannin on goin to seneca in march and had a few questions about it.
is a standard gunks rack fine for there? what would u suggest for additional gear. Whats a good guidebook to get? What should we expect for weather around march 13ish? is there free camping closeby? Any route reccomendations up to 5.8?

brianc

Feb 8, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #2 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Re: seneca ??s [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunks rack will do ya.

hard to say re: weather. might be super nice, might not be. spring[ish] in the mid-atlantic is a bit of a crap shoot. one thing you can do to max your enjoyment on days that arte likely to be cold is to climb the east face in the morning then switch to the west side in the afternoon. follow the sun and be warm.

routes:
5.3: skyline traverse (jump to kaufman-cardon (5.4)) to stay in the sun, gunsight to south peak (super classic w/ great exposure)

5.4: ectasy jr, conn's west direct, le gourmet

5.5: thais, conn's east (good linkup in the sun from the aforementioned skyline/kaufman hookup), cany corner, easy over

5.6: front-c, banana (akward), debbie(? - it's right above banana), critter crack, dirty old man, le gourmet direct

5.7: ecstasy, simple j malarkey, westpole, green wall, pleasant overhangs, prune (p1 is a good 5.5), soler

5.8: the burn, tomato, triple-s.

Partner tgreene

Feb 8, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #3 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're not familiar w/ Seneca, keep in mind the sandbag ratings... :wink:

fishbelly

Feb 8, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #4 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A standard gunks rack should get it done. More vert cracks than hori. pink tri cams are handy. Some runners or slings the long side

Double ropes

Barnes guide.

Free camping near by.. only if you r quick

Weather in march? most like ly cool and sunny..
Snow is not out of the question

scrapedape

Feb 8, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brianc's recommendations are all pretty good. For the grades you're looking for, I would especially recommend West Pole and Triple S.

Camping: Princess Snowbird is not free, but it's the next best thing: $5 pppn, including (hot) showers. Pay at Yokum's at the highway junction.

wjca

Feb 8, 2006, 7:26 PM
Post #6 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
gunks rack will do ya.

hard to say re: weather. might be super nice, might not be. spring[ish] in the mid-atlantic is a bit of a crap shoot. one thing you can do to max your enjoyment on days that arte likely to be cold is to climb the east face in the morning then switch to the west side in the afternoon. follow the sun and be warm.

routes:
5.3: skyline traverse (jump to kaufman-cardon (5.4)) to stay in the sun, gunsight to south peak (super classic w/ great exposure)

5.4: ectasy jr, conn's west direct, le gourmet

5.5: thais, conn's east (good linkup in the sun from the aforementioned skyline/kaufman hookup), cany corner, easy over

5.6: front-c, banana (akward), debbie(? - it's right above banana), critter crack, dirty old man, le gourmet direct

5.7: ecstasy, simple j malarkey, westpole, green wall, pleasant overhangs, prune (p1 is a good 5.5), soler

5.8: the burn, tomato, triple-s.

What he said, plus here is the guide book you need.

markc

Feb 8, 2006, 7:37 PM
Post #7 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What they said. The Barnes guide is pretty spot-on with suggested routes. As far as weather, the monthly averages for March are listed at 56F for the high, and 29F for the low. That doesn't mean much, as the weather there can change pretty quick. Especially early and late in the season, it pays to come prepared and remain flexible.

reg

Feb 8, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #8 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow that's a lot! tons o climbs up to 8's! i started to name a few but theres to many. pm me and i could photo copy and send you some pages from the guide book by tony barnes which i thought was out of print but it appears that falcon guides is doing it currently:
http://www.amazon.com/...212?%5Fencoding=UTF8

lots of 1-4" cams placements, quick draws - maybe a few, mostly 2 & 4 ft slings - i'd say a dozen mountain draws on two footers, 2-4 on four footers, maybe 2 sets of BD nuts, i always have some tri's. i would also carry some 1" tape (15'?) and rap rings cause not sure the quaility of some raps. guides probably haven't been up to chk um out that early in the season. try the via ferrata as well. here's some links

http://www.senecarocks.com/
http://www.nelsonrocks.org/via.html

forkliftdaddy

Feb 8, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #9 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In more congested areas, you will want a helmet. That may or may not be part of your gunks rack.

One more route suggestion: pitches 1 + 2 of Climbin' Punishment (on the Southern Pillar)

microbarn

Feb 8, 2006, 7:58 PM
Post #10 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am pretty sure it is 5.5 "candy corner" not "cany corner".

I found it very easy to get camping. I can't imagine the cliffs will be packed during march even in good weather.

fishbelly

Feb 8, 2006, 8:28 PM
Post #11 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure you top out. :)

markc

Feb 8, 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #12 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am pretty sure it is 5.5 "candy corner" not "cany corner".

I found it very easy to get camping. I can't imagine the cliffs will be packed during march even in good weather.

Now you're spoiling a little fun. I love Cany Corner.

I've camped at Snowbird on really crowded weekends (like the Memorial Day weekend a few years ago). I haven't always had an official site, but I've always found somewhere to pitch my tent.

erclimb

Feb 8, 2006, 9:39 PM
Post #13 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, definitely take a helmet...even if it's not crowded, there's still plenty of loose rock...and the ratings are typical east coast sandbag...the motto for seneca is "vertical, sustained and exposed"...now, for some reason, 5.7 is the sweet spot, and there are three climbs that are airy but reasonably rated: ecstasy, west pole, and green wall...the start of the third pitch of west pole will test your head and a very large very loose boulder at the second overhang will scare the sh-- out of you, but it's all worth it

all of these climbs are on the west face, so march mornings might be cold...and there is ALWAYS wind so carry your windstopper and use radios if you have them

if it's too cold, head up the road to franklin for some great sport climbing with southern exposure

roshampo

Feb 8, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #14 of 14 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as gear goes, i think two sets of nuts is handy, you can do alot with just these. Bring alot of runners, i always seem to run out by the end of a pitch. Thais is a pile and easy to get lost on. Get on Triple S and The Burn, the first pitch of Marshall's is good if you're feeling good and looking for a hard single pitch. Ye Gods and Little Fishes is great for the one last pitch on your way out. Gunisight to south peak may be one of the most classic easy pitches I've been on.
As much as I hate wearing helmets, it's always a good idea here. Especially if you're by Candy Corner and Ye Gods.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook