RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

trekker883

Feb 21, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Just Starting Out
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

O.K. so I'm just starting out and I live in Delaware. Not a very big community here that I'm aware of. I'm not really sure what my first move should be. I mean a friend introduced me to climbing and now I move away and am itching t go again.

In a month or so I'll be out in Los Angeles, and I'm sure there are plenty of places for people like me who are "greener than grass."

Anybody with some words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and see you out there!

Jess

taller_climber_dude

Feb 23, 2006, 4:56 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Re: Just Starting Out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wisdom. well it wouldn't call it wisdom just climber beta(info) to another climber. well to start out you'll need the basics. shoes, harness, chock, and a belay and rapple device which you can get online or at REI, Sport Chelat, or at any climbing store. next you'll need to learn the basics of climbing: knots, lead climbing achor set up and more. the best way to learn is to take a climbing class which you can find online or at some climbing gyms. if you know some who is experenced enough to teach you then go in that direction but climbing classes are the best way to learn the basics. i would suggest taking a class in joshua tree nation park. a climbers wonder land of all types and grades of climbing hopthis helped

taller_climber_dude

trad climbing is the way to go

dafenga

Feb 24, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think tall dude has you covered. I would say join a local climbing gym, see if you can get into a beginner class to meet people. Another good option is to just boulder for a while and try and meet folks, ask for advice on problems, start conversation... etc... Pretty much everyone in a climbing gym is willing to give some advice.

Good luck, we all were new climbers at one point.

salamanizer

Feb 24, 2006, 4:22 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are not just starting out. I have been climbing for over 5 years, lead .11+ish trad, climb ice, big wall, and have done a lot in the high Sierra and I am just starting out. You my friend have only just developed an interest. One day when you realize this is the truth, then maybe you will have started out and you can begin down the road to achieving your climbing goals. I'm not saying this to mock you. Merely as a warning and some good advice once given to me when I first developed an interest in climbing. You can learn a lot of stuff very quickly, and in several years develop enough knowledge to propel you far in the climbing world and do it without incident or putting yourself in a dangerous situation. However, it only takes one stuck rope, one fall into a glacier or something as simple as forgetting to tighten down a locker to realize that you are still "just starting out". So keep in mind several years down the road when you are high up on some multi pitch climb in Yosemite or elsewhere, trying to climb some highball boulder problem in Jtree or going for the summit of a long awaited peak, that what you really know, is just enough to get yourself really screwed.

rowdyburro

Feb 24, 2006, 4:34 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: oh yah, buy a helmet and get a good book on knots

nykko

Feb 24, 2006, 6:05 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man don't sweat it.

I have been climbing for about 3 years on and off. My best advise to you is start small. Get some shoes, and a chalk bag, if you have extra cash invest on a crash pad and start bouldering. I love bouldering it gets straight to the point. Join a local gym and get to know some people. If there are no gyms available look for rock building or some with good climbing walls (ask for permission) this is how I started and this past summer it helped me alot. I went to Spain and found some awsome building to climb and bridges. I also found some some rocks and walls you can boulder anywhere. It's cheap and fun. go to urban-climber.com and see some of the buildering vids, we have just uploaded a couple of new ones.

good luck, and if you need anything just post it or contact me.

Partner jammer

Feb 24, 2006, 7:27 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, for partners in Delaware, click here and for LA, click here. This should keep you busy for awhile :wink:

ninja_climber

Feb 24, 2006, 7:51 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy the book Freedom of the Hills . That will exlain a lot of things. Then try to get into a beginners course or meet some people at the gym that are experianced and that can teach you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook