Forums: Community: Campground:
Were you affected by Hurricane Katrina???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

jeapord

Mar 6, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #1 of 6 (219 views)
Shortcut

Were you affected by Hurricane Katrina???
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this has nothing to do with climbing, though I wish it did, but I need some help.
I am in college and have to write a paper based on interviews with people on their opinions of the recovery effort of Hurricane Katrina...As the only group of people I know, I turn to you, my fellow climbers. Since there is a chance some of you were affected by Katrina I thought you would be able to answer my questionnaire. You don't have to be affected by the hurricane to answer some question, as some are based on opinion. Please help me!!! I will be your belay slave!!!
here it is:

Please answer as many questions as you can. These questions are for research purposes only so answers will not offend me. If you were not affected by Hurricane Katrina, obviously there are some questions that do not apply. Thank you very much...

1. What of yours was destroyed or damaged by Hurricane Katrina? To what extent? Give examples.

2. Did you or anyone you know get injured or lose their life?

3. Did you ever think this would happen to the Gulf coast?

4. If you live on the coast, did you evacuate or stay behind? Why?

5. How fast was the help from government organizations? What about non-profit organizations?

6. Do you think the government reacted quickly enough as a whole? (i.e. getting supplies to victims, rescuing victims in New Orleans and Gulf coast, etc.)

7. Who did you see on the coast helping the victims the most?

8. Do you think the government should be blamed for the all-around slowness as expressed by the media? Why or why not?

9. In your eyes, who, if anyone, is accountable for the devastation and/or lack of preparedness?

10. Did you receive monetary help from FEMA or other government organizations? Do you believe it was adequate support for the victims?

11. What do you think the government could have done to speed up recovery?

12. Who, from what you have witnessed, made the largest effort in recovery, including civilians, government, and non-profit organizations?

13. Do you know of anyone who took advantage (i.e. didn't deserve) of the government incentives given to hurricane victims?

14. Did you notice any organizational problems associated with the clean-up effort? If so, what were they? What do you think could be done to fix them?

15. Everyone saw the news coverage of the broken levee disaster in New Orleans. Do you believe the government should be blamed for loss of life? Perhaps you can't be prepared if you don't know what to expect.

16. What ways as a nation can we speed up recovery from future natural disasters, like Hurricane Katrina?

17. Do you think we will be better prepared as a nation next time or will we suffer the same consequences (i.e. loss of life, damaged property)?

18. Have you or someone you know made a plan of recovery in case of another hurricane? If so, then what?

Partner chugach001

Mar 6, 2006, 1:33 AM
Post #2 of 6 (219 views)
Shortcut

Re: Were you affected by Hurricane Katrina??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Email me directly at with Katrina in the subject line and I will email you back.
Jeff

boardline22

Mar 6, 2006, 1:45 AM
Post #3 of 6 (219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am adopting a black lab named katrina, oh and good luck with your paper

Partner philbox

Mar 6, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #4 of 6 (219 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from General to Community.

slavetogravity

Mar 6, 2006, 3:04 AM
Post #5 of 6 (219 views)
Shortcut

Re: philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Given that the majority of people who where greatest effected by Hurricane Katrina, where poor black people from Louisiana and the gulf states, and that the vast majority of people on rockclimbing.com are rich/middle class white people from mountain states/provinces.
I don’t think you’re going to find that great of a response here. If you haven’t already, I recommend diverting your efforts to other discussion forums. I’d recommend NASCAR sites.

boondock_saint

Mar 6, 2006, 3:14 AM
Post #6 of 6 (219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pm Tgreene, I'm sure he'd be willing the help you out.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook