Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
The MASS CLIMBERS thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Mar 24, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #16601 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cory's pic of Jen [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
crapola.

I was talking to one of the setters last night at MR who mentioned that a climber was dropped by his/her belayer, near the first clip, but on TR. I guess the drop led to a hospital visit.

Does anybody know have further info?

I'll be in there tonight - I'd like to know more too. If I hear anything I'll let you know. Please let me know if you hear anything more as well. PM is fine if you prefer.

GO

cowpoke

Mar 24, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #16602 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ambler - the spittin' image of his fatha'...looks like the results of too much scuba and climbing in the same trip...where's the report?!?!?!!?

Partner cracklover

Mar 24, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #16603 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Because I'm sure we all need this, on a gray Friday morning:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/...000017108AbOWzdszbNh

Yes indeedy! Thanks for that. Only just whets the appetite, though, Larry. More, please! Does this mean you're back from the sunny isles? How was it?

GO

ambler

Mar 24, 2006, 6:45 PM
Post #16604 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ambler - the spittin' image of his fatha'...looks like the results of too much scuba and climbing in the same trip...where's the report?!?!?!!?
Too much fun makes your head want to explode! A TR is in progress.

In reply to:
Only just whets the appetite, though, Larry. More, please! Does this mean you're back from the sunny isles? How was it?
It was brilliant. I've already checked, but it's too early for United to sell me a free ticket for the same time next year.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/...000017108AbOWzdszbNh

dovaka

Mar 25, 2006, 2:12 PM
Post #16605 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was just parusing some profiles and i read rrradams i noticed that he said his liscense plate on his truck was rrradams i wanted to know if anyone else besides us shared this sickness haha

http://www.dovaka.net/plate.jpg

girlyoutalkto

Mar 26, 2006, 3:01 AM
Post #16606 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well we almost didn't make it to LW today; it was drizzling during the drive there and we nearly turned back. Luckily we didn't, because everything was pretty much dry and it turn out to be an awesome day. Got there around 10:45, left around 5... I'm totally spent, lol. But it was absolutely worth it... I can't WAIT to get outside again. Here's a picture of me on the The Wave, probably one of my favorite problems that I tried. I didn't start at the beginning so I didn't really send it, but it was fun anyway. I look so serious!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=71139

There's a bunch more pictures in my album if anyone is interested, both of me and of Jason.

jakedatc

Mar 26, 2006, 3:21 AM
Post #16607 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NICE!! glad you guys had a good time.. I'll most likely be out there tomorrow around 10:30-11 if folks want to come

portsmouthclimb

Mar 26, 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #16608 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Re: parnters in the Portsmouth area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope this is the right place to look for partners! I am new to Portsmouth NH and looking for folks to climb with. I have been climbing on and off for a while, but have always followed people much better than me! I am looking for someone that may want to meet up at the gym in Dover (and of course outside when it gets a little warmer!). I have not been to the Dover gym yet, how is it?

Jen

orangekyak

Mar 26, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #16609 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome, portsmouth. There are a couple Dover area folks on here. You're welcome to add to their numbers. I've climbed there a couple times and found it to be a nice gym, but that was a couple years ago. I have no idea about current conditions. You are awefully close to Pawtuckaway, which has some fantastic bouldering. I bet a trip or two to Dover will get you oriented to the scene really quickly.

A lot of folks here go to Rumney (pro'bly 1hr40mins drive for you) if you like the sport climbing.

Also, if you're looking for partners for up north (Conway crags, for example) you might consider posting at NEclimbs.com. That's a nice site with lots of conway craggers.

Again, welcome!

jakedatc

Mar 27, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #16610 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had a short but kickass day at the woods today with kate.. also saw a few NEB folks. Finally sent Instant Karma and Try Again(yea. jake dyno'd.. sounds funny to me too)
Try Again v5 (click for full size)
http://img.photobucket.com/...ods/th_TryAgain1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ods/th_TryAgain2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ods/th_TryAgain3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ods/th_TryAgain4.jpg

Partner cracklover

Mar 27, 2006, 4:00 AM
Post #16611 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats, Jake! Damn, dude, you must be getting strong.

Had a decent day at QQ. Had some curious onlookers who hadn't seen aid (or self-belay for that matter) climbing before. Did the climb that goes through all the roofs - in the Under The Big Top area it's the one on the right. It's more involved, more physical than the one on the left, but all bomber gear. Well, I pulled a knifeblade out of that climb before, but I mean it's *basically* all bomber. Oh, and I "rescued" a #4 nut and an oval biner off the climb too. Yay booty! Practiced ascending, too. Couldn't really get the frog system dialed; tried and true method still seems the best for me. Anyway, it was good to get a little practice aid under my belt these last two weekends - remind myself how it's done before I hit towers in Moab and walls in Zion next month.

GO

jakedatc

Mar 27, 2006, 5:12 AM
Post #16612 of 22774 (520253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Gabe.. I've felt awesome the past month or so since a few projects got me back on track and focused again. success brings optimism and that builds confidence.. which is sweet right now
My goal(well.. one of them) at the moment is to try and bust through a new wall at v7 but i'm need to find something that suits me.. which at the moment happens to be slopers.. Although i can't wait to apply some of this power to a few short routes at rumney.. Things as they are now comes to mind.. Storm troopers is another (derek u been on this? help?) , few others meebe.

Nice job on that roof.. i have a scar on the back of my hand from climbing class at school when we rapped off that roof and i shorted one of the lips haha

huktoncrack

Mar 27, 2006, 8:48 PM
Post #16613 of 22774 (520254 views)
Shortcut

bouldering in brookline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was running the other day through Chestnut Hill/Brookline and found a cool little wildlife sancuary to run through. In the process I discovered what looked like some pretty cool bouldering problems. It's all pudding stone like Hammond but in a different location. Unfortunately I forgot the name of it. I will hopefully be back there today so I can let people know the name if they want to check it out. I am not a boulderer so I could be wrong, it may suck completely. But I figured something new is always good. Also saw some white-tailed deer in there around dusk, not too often you see that in the city!

cowpoke

Mar 27, 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #16614 of 22774 (520257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HELP!!! After a few years in Wyoming, I'm moving back to Boston in August. Prior to coming west, I lived in New Hampshire for 5 years and then Cambridge for 2 years. As such, I'm pretty familiar with the general climbing options (and the quickest driving routes from Cambridge to N. Conway, Cannon, etc). However, I might not live in Cambridge this time around and I'd love to get some feedback on ideal locations (if minimizing distances/driving times to climbing and training, e.g., gyms, is a priority) in the greater-Boston area. For example, is the newer gym (in Everett?) a nice place to train? And, is it easy to get to and from?

Also, I have a home wall that consists of about 6 sheets of plywood and about 150 holds that I'll be bringing with me. If anyone is interested in joining forces to create a shared wall (or if you already have a shared wall that you'd be willing to let me add to and use), let me know.

Partner cracklover

Mar 28, 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #16615 of 22774 (520257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Howdy cowpoke!

In reply to:
Prior to coming west, I lived in New Hampshire for 5 years and then Cambridge for 2 years. As such, I'm pretty familiar with the general climbing options (and the quickest driving routes from Cambridge to N. Conway, Cannon, etc). However, I might not live in Cambridge this time around and I'd love to get some feedback on ideal locations (if minimizing distances/driving times to climbing and training, e.g., gyms, is a priority) in the greater-Boston area. For example, is the newer gym (in Everett?) a nice place to train? And, is it easy to get to and from?

Okay, then you already know that if you like to boulder, you'll want to situate yourself close to Hammond Pond; if you'd like to do a quick TR after work, you'll want to be near QQ or College Rock; if you want gyms, you want to be near the BRG or MetroRock. So... what is it you're looking for?

MetroRock (the new gym in Everett) is easy to get to by car if you're in Cambridge/Somerville/Medford/Everett etc. By T, only if you're on the Orange Line.

Cheers!

GO

orangekyak

Mar 28, 2006, 1:21 AM
Post #16616 of 22774 (520257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to keep this under my hat, but for this forum, I'll share.

Worcester is the nuts. You can shorten your trip to the gunks by a bunch, and you'll be close to the best crag in the area (Crow Hill). I'll mention that the cost of living is at a discount, compared to the burbs more proximal to the Shawmut Peninsula.

Now that you have the facts, I'm sure you'll make a well-informed decision. 8^)

cowpoke

Mar 28, 2006, 1:22 AM
Post #16617 of 22774 (520255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Howdy cowpoke!

In reply to:
Prior to coming west, I lived in New Hampshire for 5 years and then Cambridge for 2 years. As such, I'm pretty familiar with the general climbing options (and the quickest driving routes from Cambridge to N. Conway, Cannon, etc). However, I might not live in Cambridge this time around and I'd love to get some feedback on ideal locations (if minimizing distances/driving times to climbing and training, e.g., gyms, is a priority) in the greater-Boston area. For example, is the newer gym (in Everett?) a nice place to train? And, is it easy to get to and from?

Okay, then you already know that if you like to boulder, you'll want to situate yourself close to Hammond Pond; if you'd like to do a quick TR after work, you'll want to be near QQ or College Rock; if you want gyms, you want to be near the BRG or MetroRock. So... what is it you're looking for?

MetroRock (the new gym in Everett) is easy to get to by car if you're in Cambridge/Somerville/Medford/Everett etc. By T, only if you're on the Orange Line.

Cheers!

GO
Howdy! What am I looking for??? Good question. All other things being equal, I'm hoping to find a place that makes Hammond, one of the gyms, and exit to NH as easy as possible (being close to QQ wouldn't hurt, but I've never been to college rock (unless that's the place out west by farmington state u)...where is that?). There is a good chance that we'll end up in Newton (my work is there), which makes access to Hammond nice, but seems a long way from either of the gyms (30+ minutes to BRG?) and doesn't sound like the easiest place to get headed towards NH. Maybe the easiest thing would be to give the areas we're seriously considering moving to and folks can sound off on pros/cons from a climber's perspective...so here they are: Arlington, Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, and Newton.

edit: oops, I meant framingham state college, sorry

Partner cracklover

Mar 28, 2006, 1:40 AM
Post #16618 of 22774 (520257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Arlington, Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, and Newton.

That's it? Wow, you're really splitting hairs here. As for times to any of the destination crags, Arlington, Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford, are functionally equivalent. Newton's closer to the pike, while the other bunch are closer to 93. For most places, driving times will be equivalent, depending on how close you are to the nearest onramp to 95 93, or Rte 2.

As for little local stuff, obviously Newton's close to HP. The other bunch is close to the Black and White Rocks, Waitts Mt., and MetroRock Gym.

GO

cowpoke

Mar 28, 2006, 1:45 AM
Post #16619 of 22774 (520212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Arlington, Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, and Newton.

That's it? Wow, you're really splitting hairs here. As for times to any of the destination crags, Arlington, Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford, are functionally equivalent. Newton's closer to the pike, while the other bunch are closer to 93. For most places, driving times will be equivalent, depending on how close you are to the nearest onramp to 95 93, or Rte 2.

As for little local stuff, obviously Newton's close to HP. The other bunch is close to the Black and White Rocks, Waitts Mt., and MetroRock Gym.

GO
thanks! the short list of places is due to competing demands of public school quality (2 girls) and proximity to work, but we're open to suggestions...we won't be coming out to look for a place until late May.

Partner wideguy

Mar 28, 2006, 1:53 AM
Post #16620 of 22774 (520212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey cowpoke, where exactly will you be working because your commute is something you don't want to discount if you'll be heading downtown every day.

robbovius

Mar 28, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #16621 of 22774 (520212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've never been to college rock (unless that's the place out west by farmington state u)...where is that?)..

CR is in Hopkinton MA. I live 3 miles from there. if you live in Newton, CR will be a 30 minute ride down 16 to 85. it's a decent little crag, very popular, not much under 5.8.

has a stout 200 foot traverse.

it's in the RDB here, check it out.

gymnastc

Mar 28, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #16622 of 22774 (520212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, all of a sudden Newton's the hot topic! I live there (not for much longer...I finally got an acceptance to grad school!) and it takes me about 20 min to get to Metro on a good night. Also, depending on where you are, 95 is right there, leading right up to NH.

Well, I'm out for the week. I'm heading to Vegas...Epinephrine here I come!

Chris

cowpoke

Mar 28, 2006, 2:23 PM
Post #16623 of 22774 (520212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey cowpoke, where exactly will you be working because your commute is something you don't want to discount if you'll be heading downtown every day.
BC, which is why Newton is at the top of our list.

cowpoke

Mar 28, 2006, 2:26 PM
Post #16624 of 22774 (520212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've never been to college rock (unless that's the place out west by farmington state u)...where is that?)..

CR is in Hopkinton MA. I live 3 miles from there. if you live in Newton, CR will be a 30 minute ride down 16 to 85. it's a decent little crag, very popular, not much under 5.8.

has a stout 200 foot traverse.

it's in the RDB here, check it out.
yep, that's the spot I was thinking of, thanks...it was the first place my daughter (then 4, now 8) climbed outdoors.

Partner wideguy

Mar 28, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #16625 of 22774 (520159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
BC, which is why Newton is at the top of our list.

Well Nothing cheap Metro west that's for sure. But most of the towns out that way rate pretty well on schools. If your budget can accomodate Newton then you're in very good shap, short commute, close to HP, close to highway so anywhere else is relatively easy too.

First page Previous page 1 ... 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook