RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

xanx

Aug 15, 2002, 7:44 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

rope for top roping
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi i am flat broke
anyway in like 2 weeks i am going up to NH mainly to boulder. But like right near the cabin i will be staying at there are some 25-30ft walls with great trees on top for anchors. They are a bit too high for me to boulder though with just one small pad cause they are basically slabs. seeing as i am broke i was wondering, since it is TR and rather small distance, if like 10mm thick nylon rope (just woven nylon) would be ok or if i am asking to dye. i will probably use static line or something for the anchors (plus i can put up 3 if i need to). any thoughts on low cost alternatives from home depot or such?

[ This Message was edited by: xanx on 2002-08-15 12:45 ]

punk

Aug 15, 2002, 7:48 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

rope for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If u like to live long with almost injury free and you do like your friends too
Invest in real rope it is only 12 movies or 24 pints worth and allot cheaper then hospital bill

timmyclimber

Aug 15, 2002, 7:49 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wouldnt use anything except climbing rope. period. If its money that is your problem, you can check an army surplus store, sometimes they cell army issue rope that is cheaper but its not uiaa certified. Safety first!!!

wildtrail

Aug 15, 2002, 7:59 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes. Like punk and timmy said. USE A CLIMBING ROPE ONLY!!! To use anything else would be insane. Literally.

You probably shouldn't be climbing with that attitude, in my opinion. Ask yourself this:

Isn't your life worth the money? What is cheaper, a broken leg, brain surgery, wheel chairs, specialized care, or a climbing rope?

I understand being broke. We've all been there (except this natec guy, he's got a silver spoon and the attitude to boot [j/k]). When you can't afford it, climb with someone that has the equipment or boulder or something. Perhaps, the gym until you can afford the gear.

Your life is REALLY worth the money. Besides, you can get online deals on ropes for about 90 dollars. There is a thread on this site about a 90 dollar rope.

Climb safe and have fun!

Steve

chuckd278

Aug 15, 2002, 8:05 PM
Post #5 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are lacking funds you may look into a short rope. Places like gearexpress.com always have them and since the climbs are only 25 to 30 you can get a 60 foot rope and be fine. If you are only going to toprope you can also use a static line if it is cheaper.

Chuck

punk

Aug 15, 2002, 8:09 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chuck,
Everything was good till the static line ...look under pervious posts for the general consensus of using static line for TR

wildtrail

Aug 15, 2002, 8:11 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chuck,

I don't mean to step on toes, but I would NEVER use a static line. There has been a big debate on this already, but it isn't safe. Static is for rappelling and jugging. Even a good fall on top rope (which happens) could have serious consequences. There has been several incidents where a static line has snapped at our local crag alone. Writing for Accidents in North American Mountaineering, I've seen many cases of this.

I don't doubt that you have used it safely, but it isn't recommended and I suggest (if you still use a static line for TR) that you switch to dynamic for your safety.

Steve

pir8penguin

Aug 16, 2002, 2:35 AM
Post #8 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are full length dynamic climbing ropes at 10.5mm thick and 60m long for under $100. somebody posted a link a few days back.

here!

http://www.linkupgear.com/mall/Dynamic_Climb.asp?type=Dynamic

[ This Message was edited by: pir8penguin on 2002-08-15 19:36 ]

xen_monkey

Aug 16, 2002, 2:59 AM
Post #9 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need to save some money, you can always (as mentioned) by shorter ropes. I know Esprit sells off lengths. You can also stick to non-Cry ropes. You're not paying extra for a dry treatment you probobly won't need. Especially at that length, you can pull it down and coil it easily is it starts to rain.

chuckd278

Aug 16, 2002, 3:20 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok sorry about the static line post. I have used them, but only on highball boulder problems when we knew the rope would not get cut by anything and the landing was too uneven for crashpad landings.

Chuck

waxman

Aug 17, 2002, 3:51 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USE A CLIMBING ROPE! I bought a great top rope from sportextreme.com/climbing It is a Beal top gun standard 50m 10.5mm rope for about $115 with shipping and all. It came in like 5 business days!

Good Luck!

evs786

Aug 19, 2002, 10:09 AM
Post #12 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use your common sense. Would you really want to risk your life with something that was cut at the home depot? I suggest buying at LEAST a static line for a top rope, although dynamic would be preference. Safe Climbing.

wlderdude

Aug 20, 2002, 8:27 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I knew someone with a climbing wall who just used regular hardware store rope. The wall was only 16 feet high, but I admit I wasn't real comfortable with it.

The worst was the belay they had set up. The was an eye bolt in the wall that you run the rope trough. That's it! Somone I was with had his ATC with him (thank goodness).

The man who had the wall only had it to atract his kids and other people to visit him. I suppose he has insurace. I probably won't climb ther again. He complained that my rock shoes scuffed up the foor.

As for your question, if you do insist on using non-climbing rope, make sure that the safe working load rating far exceeds your body weight and never let any slack in the system to allow for a hard fall. If the spool does not have a rating, don't even think about it. Don't rappel with it. Hardware store rope tends to be really stretchy so it is hard to work with as the diameter shrinks when loaded. It is pretty flimsy and slippery, too. Good rope is expensive, even at Home Depot.

But seriously, it is probably just as cheap to but some 3/8" static line climbing rope. It is sold by the foot. Keep the system free of slack so that your falls are short when using a static rope. The rope isn't necisarily going to break, but it will hurt.

climbjs

Aug 20, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Xanx- If you can tell me the "exact" length of rope you need, I may be able to help you. I've got a BlueWater 10.2mm rope that eventually got a core shot in the middle and I was forced to cut the rope in order to remove the core-exposed section. Essentially I've got 2- 75-80 foot sections that are in good shape. I'll check out their lenght tonight to ensure they're long enough. Drop me a line. schumaj@aruplab.com

[ This Message was edited by: climbjs on 2002-08-20 13:43 ]

dantman

Aug 23, 2002, 12:01 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use CLIMBING ROPE!!!! Save,save,save but don't put your life in danger. Just think about it. It takes only one fall and ohhh all the bad possibilities. Nobody likes to think about it, but just one fall could change everything (if you live through it) Climbing ropes are not cheap but worth every penny.
STAY SAFE

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook