Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

supabro15

May 5, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #1 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Ive never climbed? *HELP*
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok guys ive searched the forums and what not and i cant seem to find anything to help me.

ive never climbed before, and i am really looking to get into the sport, but i dont really know from which angle to approach it.

it seems like a challenging sport, and from the posts ive been reading from you guys, you seem like pretty mature and helpful people. (i paintball as well, so the other forums im accustomed to getting flamed for living :? )

but i was just wondering where about i would go to get involved / tips / things you wish you would have done / ways to get the 'rents chilled, etc.

oh and i live in dallas....is that a problem?

ummmmm im in the dark when it comes to this sport...*HELP*

Partner angry

May 5, 2006, 5:13 AM
Post #2 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ive never climbed? *HELP* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, from the title of this post, I was worried.

I thought you were stranded on some rock accessing the net with your cell, asking for a rescue.

I'm relieved to learn that everything is OK.

chikinv10

May 5, 2006, 5:14 AM
Post #3 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Meet someone who climbs. or go to your cities climbing gym.

oh and by the way, welcome to the sport you chuckin' noob. (the word fucking as been changed, instead of fucking a guy up, its now refered to as Chucking a guy up due to Chuck Norris's amazing ability to round house kick all evil through a brick wall.)

dudemanbu

May 5, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #4 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, from the title of this post, I was worried.

I thought you were stranded on some rock accessing the net with your cell, asking for a rescue.

I'm relieved to learn that everything is OK.

:lol: Jerk.

SupaBro. Head to your local climbing gym. They will hook you up.

sbaclimber

May 5, 2006, 5:16 AM
Post #5 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
oh and i live in dallas....is that a problem?
YES, and not just a climbing related one :wink:

majid_sabet

May 5, 2006, 5:22 AM
Post #6 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

living in Chucking Dallas is a problem, you need to move away and get closer to real Chuckup rock and feel the pain however ,start from local gym first ,go for few month and once you become good at chucking around with boulders , try it outside.

taller_climber_dude

May 5, 2006, 5:31 AM
Post #7 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

listen to dude go to a gym meet some climbers and maybe take some classes good luck

supabro15

May 5, 2006, 1:27 PM
Post #8 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the chucking help guys :lol:

any advice on training and such? something i should strictly work on at the gym for RC? i dont really want to walk into the gym and look like a weakling or anything.

rockguide

May 5, 2006, 1:39 PM
Post #9 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

any advice on training and such? something i should strictly work on at the gym for RC? i dont really want to walk into the gym and look like a weakling or anything.

The best way to train for climbing is to go climbing. climbing works muscles (forearm) that nothing else works, and strength is only part of the equation - movement skill is more important.

xjlx

May 5, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #10 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We all walked into the gym as weaklings. If you can get in a gym a few times a week for a month you will notice lots of improvement right away. You will also meet people that can take you outside to climb.

fenix83

May 5, 2006, 4:00 PM
Post #11 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like all the posters above said, try your local gym. Another good option (if you can afford it) is taking a couple of days in Jtree or Moab with a guide/class. It will give you a chance to travel, meet some cool people, and see some real rock.

Anyway, welcome to the sport and the site. Don't let the smilies fool you, we have some Grade-A, USDA aproved flamers, eh Curt? :lol:

-F

bernard

May 5, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #12 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try your local gym and look to connect with folks going to Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Enchanted Rock down near Austin. I'd advise against biting off on a long distance, beginners trip to Joshua Tree or some such.....travel is costly now with fuel prices up. If you got a lot of cash lying around.....well, that's different.

Stick for now with a general regime for base fitness as far as exercise goes.....throw in some running or aerobic stuff a couple of days out of seven.....be mindful of your diet. Your weight will have some effect on your immediate feelings of whether or not climbing is right for you right now. Try to attend any local climbing related slide shows/media events that you might see posted coming to climbing gyms or gear stores.......and browse through the climbing rags periodically for inspiration.

There are some decent climbing resources near you.....read up on guidebooks, how-tos, etc.... Teaming up with others is gonna be crucial to getting feedback, guidance in gear purchases, staying motivated.

Get going.......

ninja_climber

May 5, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #13 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cough*Hueco*cough

Ohh about the parent thing...I had to to go through the same thing. I suggest learning more about the sport...uur rather way of life...(that was for you Trad guys)... then explain everything to your parents. I like the fact that a biner can hold a VW Beetle, or you can bring out the statistics...

kriso9tails

May 5, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #14 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I like the fact that a biner can hold a VW Beetle

Are you sure about that? 'Cause my friend took a ten foot whipper in a VW Golf and that just shattered the top draw.

rhythm164

May 5, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #15 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
from the posts ive been reading from you guys, you seem like pretty mature and helpful people.

What posts are you reading?? :lol:

xjlx

May 5, 2006, 8:02 PM
Post #16 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if your wanting to go outside, I saw several guide services out at Enchanted Rocks near Austin. Also check out Reimer's ranch (near Austin) and the Greenbelt (downtown Austin). I'm not sure about guides at the last two, or how easy it will be for you to get to the Austin area, but they are closer to you then Hueco, and you will be sure to be able to climb at either place.

Partner hosh

May 5, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #17 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to live in Garland, I pretty much hated Texas. But when I was there, I climbed at this gym. It's called "exposure." It was a pretty good gym, or so I remember... Nice people, I was usually able to get a belay when I was there by myself, and there were several people who were more than willing to help me learn. I learned to lead climb, and went climbing outside several times with people I met there. Of course it didn't hurt that I was willing to drive if they were willing to teach... I don't know if he still climbs there, but there used to be a guy named Peter (last name?) who taught me a ton of useful stuff. He might still be around, but there's got to be at least a dozen climbers named Peter who frequent that gym... Good luck man!

hosh.

dumbsocrates

May 5, 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #18 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If nothing else, I wanna say, "dude, you ain't the only one who's a noob." Sort of a support statement there... I think.... or something... Anyway, I think climbing at a gym sucks and it takes away from the whole experience. Come on! A huge part of climbing is the experience of the sublime... You can't get that in a gym!

But as the others said: Do Enchanged! It's nice there :) And perfect for us noobs... not too challenging, not too high, but nice nevertheless and offers interesting bouldering/ climbing options.

Sincerely,

Your fellow noob,
EN

ps. What do I know? I'm just a noob :)

-----
How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable seem to me all the uses of this world!

supabro15

May 6, 2006, 2:02 AM
Post #19 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea ive been to enchanted when i visited fredricksburg. walked up the dome thingy and when i got to the top i saw some RC's on another peak and said...i wanna do that. but yea i guess im not the only nub and that makes me feel a bit better haha. i just got a pm from a guy in frisco that will teach me some stuff i think. forums already doin me alot of good :D

anti_bolt_climber

May 7, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #20 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First hit up your local REI. They offer intro classes every so often. Then head to your local gym and meet some people who know what they're doing.

dawgbone6

May 7, 2006, 3:58 AM
Post #21 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK if you are wanting to get into climbing around Dallas, you need to go to either Exposure climbing gym in farmers branch, stone works climbing gym off of beltline and the 35E over by vallwood pkwy or if you are in alrington area go to dyno rocks. anyone of these places can help you get started with classes and gear and generally have pretty helpfull staff. let me know if you need any more info from the dallas area

shanz

May 7, 2006, 3:59 AM
Post #22 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you dont know then we aint gonna tell ya -- seriously find a gym chances are it will help you meet other climbers - BUT try to find those that frequent the gym less and spend more time on real rock and you will find a inner peace that no gym can provide

DISCLAIMER : anything in this thread the poster cannot be held accountable for. Oh shit knocked over my shot trying to type!!!!

dawgbone6

May 7, 2006, 4:16 AM
Post #23 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can also head to Lake Mineral Wells State Park west of dallas by mineral wells TX and just west of that a little bit is a little place called paradise on the brazos ranch they have a small climbing area there too.. just watch out for the rattlesnakes

supabro15

May 7, 2006, 6:19 AM
Post #24 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

il look out for the snakes :D

now i just need to convince my parents to let me get into it....i know several of you promote outdoor rock climbing but im thinking slow exposure to the sport to get them accustomed to it.

im heading to a gym next weekend most likely so thanks for all the help guys.

dawgbone - big help, muchos gracias

nola_angie

May 7, 2006, 1:48 PM
Post #25 of 31 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yes, you can really only train for climbing by climbing...specifically, I say go to a gym, and traverse like crazy until you build up some good calluses and grip strength! The only thing you can do outside a gym is work on your core strength.

Also, ditch any ideas of caring about what you 'look like' walking into a gym...we all started out weak, but once you get strong, the faces start... Man, you think women make ugly faces in labor? You should see my try to stick a problem thats at my limit...nothing attractive there! Pretty much, be prepared to go from looking weak to looking like a dirty, raving, sweating maniac with veins pulsing at your temples!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook