Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Jun 14, 2006, 8:36 PM
Post #26 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Re: Heartattack and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
My personal experience dealing with those having heart attack in the wilderness has not been so good.

Pray tell us a bit more about your personal experience, like how many times, where, how,... ?

In reply to:
If you are close to a clinic either via helicopter or an ambulance, you will get a chance but been out there in the middle of nowhere is just much harder and people do not carry AED in their medical survival kit to jump start you like a old FORD trying to restart after 10 months been parked in the garage;
a defribillator is not needed in all cases of heartattacks (I would even go to say most), despite what TV series may have shown to the public.
A the doctor of a group in very remote area (aka a expedition) will carry a very small set of general drugs (even true aspirin will help).

In reply to:
CPR is not going to help after 5 minutes
wrong, spimply and plainly wrong
Go and take your emergency help training again

In reply to:
and even with best cell phone and best doctor next to you, you are still hours away if not days from any real help.
A good doctor will already do a lot (in some cases)
a medicalized helo will have a lot of support to get the injured person to the hospital
A true story (2002, french alps): a friend of mind, after falling 35m in a crevasse was recovered in a very bad shape, he was extricated and flown to the hospital, he did 2 cardiac arrests while in flight, the doctor in the helo got him back, he died at the hospital.

In reply to:
What should you in such a case in the wilderness? Let me open my book

1-Relax take a deep breath , you are out there for long time
2-Get a cigarette and fire it up, if Vodka, Tequila, whiskey handy get a glass
3-Think about what you done good and bad in the past before the heart attack
4-Do check and balance and make sure the KARMA level stays within the limit.

5-relax again and ask yourself this

6-Did I enjoy this life like I have too if not, when you get a chance to go back with that helicopter , make sure you enjoy life cause next time there will be no warning.

where can I get your book ? :roll: :roll:

popunet

tell me why they could save that guy ?

majid_sabet

Jun 15, 2006, 5:55 AM
Post #27 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

papounet

Back in 2000,I spend some time in Chamonix with Peloton de Gendarmerie de Haute-Montagne as guest due to having common ground with the Gendarme over there .

majid_sabet

Jun 15, 2006, 6:02 AM
Post #28 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Re: Heart attack and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

papounet

Back in 2000,I spend some time in Chamonix with Peloton de Gendarmerie de Haute-Montagne as guest due to having common ground with the Gendarme over there .

quicksilver52

Jun 22, 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #29 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great threads - I just posted on the A-FIB thread and now this.
Two heart attacks one at 42 and one at 48 - didn't really know for sure about the first one and was just kind of down with low energy for a few days. Second one resulted in a 1/3 loss of heart muscle and now permanent A-FIB. Luckily my rate is reasonable. I climb, mountain bike and swim. I go at my own pace and never try to keep up with the kids.
I am passionate about my activities and also about my kids and grand kids.
Although I have been very scared at times due to these problems I refuse to let my family see me become the shell of the person that I am. I had a co-worker in his late 50's die two days after having symptoms last year - he never exercised, ate poorly, never missed work and had over 4,00 hours sick leave on the books when he passed. Saving it to sell back when he retired. When I was laying in the hospital I never thought about how little sick leave I had - just how glad I was to have done all the climbing and took the trips while I could. When I was in the emergency room my first question was will I be able to climb again. I love life but I can't sit in the corner scared. My electro physiologist says do what I feel comfortable with. I find all of your posts inspiring and feel less alone when I see others are fighting on through health issues. A while back I read about a fellow who passed away on an airplane full of cardiologists returning from a convention - I guess when the man calls your number you will go and not a second sooner.

sonso45

Jun 22, 2006, 1:28 AM
Post #30 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had an MI and didn't know it. I was lucky cause I had developed collateral arteries over time prior to this event. I had been feeling kinda light-headed when approaching climbs, especially if I was walking uphill with a pack. I didn't think I had cardiac problems cause I never felt pain.

A couple weeks after my heart attack, I had an annual physical. While on the treadmill, I started feeling funny and the tech monitoring the test stopped it and went to get the doc. It all went downhill from there.

A few weeks later I awoke from a cardiac catheterization. As I became aware after being under anesthesia, I saw my cardiologist. I told him great job, I feel great. He looked at me and said, "I didn't do anything cause you wouldn't have made it to the operating room if something had gone wrong. This is Dr. Fang, your cardiac surgeon. Dr. Fang looked at me and said, "you got two choices, stay for emergency surgery tomorrow or go home and die."

This July will be the 3rd anniversary of my triple bypass. By September I was feeling good enough to follow a 5.10 at Granite Mtn. This past month I went on a 2 week road trip. My biggest climb was a grade IV. My cardiologist told me to watch for symptoms and I felt a bit slow at higher altitudes, I reached an 11,000' summit by walking slowly. During all the climbing I did, I felt fine. Living in Phoenix and climbing at altitude was the main challenge. I have been climbing lots anyways and like someone who said earlier, climbing isn't cardiovascular, it's the rest that makes me work, like steep approaches. I take it easy and move slower but I am climbing pretty much the same. I try to enjoy life and think positive but I am also monitoring myself more closely. I am glad to be here and climbing as usual.

omegaprime

Jun 22, 2006, 2:22 AM
Post #31 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couldn't agree more, great thread.
Thanks for sharing, keep it coming.

my_name_is_fake

Jun 22, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #32 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

agreed with omegaprime. this is a very good thread. some of us may not even be aware of this type of risk.
btw omegaprime, are you Mei's partner??

Question:

Im 31 this yr, in fairly good shape. Last yr, during my extensive health checkup, i found out my cholesterol level was at borderline ( just at the top of the normal rnage) but it was not alarming. 2 years ago i was mis diagnosed of having ischemic heart disease but it turned out it was GERD instead and also some stress related anxiety atatcks. I had to undergo a stress test and come out at 95% fitness level.

Ive been climbing intensively since last December and ive been reading abt the risk of adfibs (sp)? what is it exactly? should i inform my doctor about my new hobby?

Thanks.

omegaprime

Jun 22, 2006, 3:15 AM
Post #33 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No, although I wish I could climb like him. You will normally see me fumbling on the TR with my partner, Ming Ming. ;)

In reply to:
agreed with omegaprime. this is a very good thread. some of us may not even be aware of this type of risk.
I'm turning 30 this year, and the experiences shared here got me thinking hard. Never had cholesterol level checkup in my whole life, and my last medical checkup was 7 years ago. I think I'll go make an appointment soon.

Riza

my_name_is_fake

Jun 22, 2006, 3:20 AM
Post #34 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:
No, although I wish I could climb like him. You will normally see me fumbling on the TR with my partner, Ming Ming. ;)

Riza

is your partner a chinese lady, short hair, and works for an NGO?

edit: sorry. am hijacking this thread. will continue the rest of my discussion privately.

chollapete

Jul 18, 2006, 3:13 PM
Post #35 of 35 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Basketball?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you say "doc", do you mean cardiologist or PCP (primary care physician, i.e., "general practice doc"?

My favorite question for anyone offering me advice is, "And how do you reach that conclusion?" Ideally, what I want to hear is (objective) evidence and reasoning that leads them from the actual, factual circumstances to the their advice. Usually, however, the answer is just a changing of the subject. I.e., they're just yakking based on unexamined assumptions or beliefs they hold but couldn't tell you why they hold the belief.

I work as a new nurse and I can say that there is a whole bunch of CYA going on in health care. I spend hours of each shift doing CYA documentation and making sure that tests and procedures get done that were ordered by docs to CYA themselves. It's a fact of life in our society. (BTW, I can't say anything about you or your condition because (CYA) I'm not licensed to diagnose and it would jeopardize my license to give you advice over the internet. :-) )

Here's some non-professional advice: check out this doc's waistline--do you think he's seen the inside of a gym or broken a sweat working out in the last week? If not, find a cardiologist who is an athlete himself. I'm sure that the local "sports medicine" clinic, if you have one in your area, could recommend/refer a cardiologist who works with athletes and wouldn't just shoot from the hip.

I'm not saying that anyone did, but when you state that your doc recommended basketball after medically advising you to give up climbing, well, I would like to know the evidence and reasoning by which he reached that conclusion.

Best wishes,
Mark

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook