Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Seneca next weekend (6-29 thru 7-2) Anyone need a partner???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

trenchdigger

Jun 25, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2345 views)
Shortcut

Seneca next weekend (6-29 thru 7-2) Anyone need a partner???  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Seneca_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be heading to Seneca Thursday night and staying thru either Sunday or Tuesday depending on whether or not I can get Monday off. I'll be traveling with a rope and rack but partnerless. Anyone interested in climbing that weekend? I'll lead up to easy 5.10 in JTree/Tahquitz, but I'm not sure how that will translate to Seneca, so I'll probably be starting on easier stuff. Safe partners of any ability are welcome, and I'm happy to lead, swing leads, or follow harder stuff.

tradrenn

Jun 26, 2006, 1:19 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2345 views)
Shortcut

Re: Seneca next weekend (6-29 thru 7-2) Anyone need a partne [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

8^)

doubledare

Jun 26, 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be there July 1-5 and could climb on July 2. I'll be at Seneca Shadows. PM for cell phone number if interested.
I can follow 5.8 and would love to try some harder stuff since the rest of the time I'll be leading 5.2-5.5 with my kids following.

wjca

Jun 26, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll be heading to Seneca Thursday night and staying thru either Sunday or Tuesday depending on whether or not I can get Monday off. I'll be traveling with a rope and rack but partnerless. Anyone interested in climbing that weekend? I'll lead up to easy 5.10 in JTree/Tahquitz, but I'm not sure how that will translate to Seneca, so I'll probably be starting on easier stuff. Safe partners of any ability are welcome, and I'm happy to lead, swing leads, or follow harder stuff.

I'm pretty sure that translates to about a 5.5/5.6 at Seneca, but I may be off a grade or so.

trenchdigger

Jun 27, 2006, 3:15 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the responses... Looks like I'll be hooking up with a few of you there. Can't wait! I hope the weather behaves.

In reply to:
In reply to:
... I'll lead up to easy 5.10 in JTree/Tahquitz, but I'm not sure how that will translate to Seneca...

I'm pretty sure that translates to about a 5.5/5.6 at Seneca, but I may be off a grade or so.

Alrighty then... I'll keep that in mind. By "how that will translate," I mean I'm wondering how much that kind of climbing will translate to Seneca. The rock is obviously different and will take a little getting used to. This should be a fun trip...

trenchdigger

Jul 5, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seneca was rad...

Thanks to those that met up with me and showed me around. I camped with the PATC crew for the first few nights, and with one of Pattray's friends on Monday night.

Saturday, I TR'd at the lower slabs with a couple of PATC guys - Jason and Scott. We TR'd Scuttle (5.7), led Discrepancy (5.8), TR'd Warlock (5.9), and TR'd Autumn Fire (5.11c). Autumn Fire was fantastic. Awesome, reachy moves to sharp finger locks and bad feet. Discrepancy was a fun lead. From there we headed to the W. Face of South Peak and I led the 1st pitch of Neck Press (5.7). Fun pitch and an easy lead.

Sunday I paired up with Nas from the PATC. She followed me up Green Wall (5.7-) and then she led Old Lady's Route (5.2).

Monday I planned to climb with PATC folks again, but they bailed 'cause of the rain. I ran into Pat Traynor and a couple of his friends at the Gendarme and hung out with them. The rock dried off nicely midday and we got some good climbing in. I paired up with James Curry and he showed me around on a bunch of good routes on the East Face. We started on The Tomato That Ate Cleveland (5.9). I started the lead, but slipped off the wet jug just off the ground after greasing up my hands with sunscreen. Made the next move on the second try but totally botched the sequence and had to come back down. I felt spanked on that attempt, so I had James lead up. Following, I slotted the correct hand in the first finger locks and it was a cake walk. We swapped leads for the next pitch and I ran up Dufty's Pop Off (5.7) which was my favorite lead of the trip. P1 of Conn's East Direct (5.7) was James' lead, and we threw a TR on Pollux (5.10a) which is on the list to lead next time. It was one of the few routes where I was able to actually use much jamming technique to make the climbing easier. After Pollux, I led up Lichen or Leave It (5.8) and we TR'd Helter Skelter (5.10c) from the anchor. We hit Rox Salt (5.6) as a cooldown before scrambling through the Gunsight and heading back to town for some pizza.

Tuesday James and I planned to do an easy day and run up Prune (5.6) before driving back to the city. Atop the first pitch, it poured rain on us so we bailed.

The climbing there is fantastic. Very different than what I'm used to in So Cal. Features and face holds are everywhere, and though there are cracks, jamming is usually not the easiest way up. Ratings seemed technically consistent with those at JTree and Tahquitz (in some cases softer, and others a little stiffer) though the skills required are very different. The rock is steep and intimidating, but the holds are much larger and more abundant than I'm used to. The climbing at Seneca preyed on my biggest weakness - steep rock with big holds - and I think climbing at Seneca would make me a much more rounded climber.

I had a blast and I hope to be back soon.

'til next time...

rocloco

Jul 5, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice trip report. Was gonna go for the same time frame, but work and shoulderitis confined me to 1 easy day at Great Falls. Pat and whoever he's with are always great folks to spend some time with. On or off the rock...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook