Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
hope for queen creek!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fearlessclimber

Apr 2, 2006, 4:26 AM
Post #1 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

hope for queen creek!!!  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area: Queen_Creek_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My dad was watching the news the other night and they said something about queen creek, he said that they are going to make it into a park for climbers with trails and help develop new areas. does anyone know anytnig about this. perhaps a webpage on it.

After talking to friends and researching the bills on this the outlook for tamo doe not look good, access issues with the area will end up costing us up to 10 million dallars to build a road, campsites and accessable as aokflat compground is.

If anyone hears anymore information about what is going on post here.

(This post was edited by fearlessclimber on May 4, 2007, 7:02 PM)

curt

Apr 2, 2006, 5:18 AM
Post #2 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Re: hope for queen creek!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My dad was watching the news the other night and they said somethingf about queen crek, he said that they are going to make it intoa a prk for climbers with trails and help develop new areas. does anyone know anytnig about this. perhaps a webpage on it.

That wasn't about Queen Creek (Oak Flat) per se, but rather about the development of a new "climbing park" in Arizona to be developed as a "replacement" climbing area to compensate climbers for the eventual loss of Oak Flat. The proposed site of this new climbing park is near Mt. Tamoshanter (Tamo) near Hayden, AZ.

Unfortunately, for reasons that are patently absurd, misguided environmental groups such as the Sierra Club are opposed to the AZ state bill that would create this new climbing park.

With regard to Oak Flat/Queen Creek proper, the Access Fund is close to executing a long-term license with Resolution Copper Company that will allow climbers ongoing access to the Pond, Atlantis and most of the bouldering areas on the withdrawn Oak Flat parcel.

Curt

peakandplateau

Apr 2, 2006, 9:43 PM
Post #3 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All that said, what is the CURRENT status of the Queen Creek Climbing area?; specifically Upper/Lower Devils Canyon and Apache Leap?!! Anyone know if access is still good and what the long term impact to these areas may be, in context with the potential mining operation?

weschrist

Apr 2, 2006, 9:46 PM
Post #4 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what is the CURRENT status of the Queen Creek Climbing area?;

status = choss

slip

Apr 3, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #5 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LONG TERM - The Mine area and Euro Dog Valley will be lost. There is still hope for Atlantis/The Pond, Oak Flat bouldering, and Devils Canyon.

CURRENT - All is open.

curt

Apr 3, 2006, 6:14 AM
Post #6 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
LONG TERM - The Mine area and Euro Dog Valley will be lost. There is still hope for Atlantis/The Pond, Oak Flat bouldering, and Devils Canyon.

CURRENT - All is open.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Curt

roninthorne

Jun 24, 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #7 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone know how the impending loss of the Mine Area and Magma Mine Road is going to affect access to Apache Leap, aside from making it harder to get to the routes. Are the land grabbers also going to deprive AZ of some of its finest "big wall" climbing?

sonso45

Jun 29, 2006, 8:52 PM
Post #8 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Leap isn't specifically closed but the road will be. You can approach it from below, a tad bit of uphill. M

roninthorne

Jun 30, 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #9 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone had a problem leaving cars on 177 and hiking up from there?

sonso45

Jul 4, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #10 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The road area along the canyon has had break-ins but I haven't heard of any problems on the 177; there are dirt roads getting you off the hwy and up the hill a bit. I think the perp will stay near the road, I have heard he drives a white cherokee. M

laurelja

Oct 27, 2006, 9:26 PM
Post #11 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get on here to often so this respoonse is to a thread that may be considered dead BUT......we shoudl be advocating to maintain access to all of QC until Resolution actual starts invasive mining. It has been brought to light that the mine has much work to do in the studying, engineering and constructing of a pump system to pull the water out of the minable area BEFORE they can even start subsidence mining. Best estimates of when they may actually have a pump system in place are 5-8 years! So we should not beleive or accept the major portionof QC being closed to us in the next 2 years.So those who have given up should stay interested and active in trying to at least advocate for insitu usage until they really start invasive work

laurelja

Oct 27, 2006, 9:35 PM
Post #12 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get on here to often so this response is to a thread that may be considered dead BUT......we should be advocating to maintain access to all of QC until Resolution actual start invasive mining. It has been brought to light that the mine has much work to do in the studying, engineering and constructing of a pump system to pull the water out of the minable area BEFORE they can even start subsidence mining. Best estimates of when they may actually have a pump system in place are 5-8 years! So we should not believe or accept that the major portion of QC will be closed to us in the next 2 years.So those who have given up should stay interested and active in trying to at least advocate for insitu usage until they really start invasive work.
To respond directly to the thread, the Arizona State Parks (who is slated to be the steward of Tamo) has NO money to develop, manage or maintain a rock park. In addition it will become part of the State Park system and will cost to enter. We should not be enticed to think this is a good deal. This area is BLM land we could climb on it now except for access through the private land and the miserable physical access. Resolution just needs to build the road and let us come, we don't need no sticken bureaucracy

slip

Oct 30, 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #13 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I know and understand, there will be a 5 year climbing license already worrked out for once RCC takes over ownership of QC.

curt

Oct 30, 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #14 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is already a license in place to cover climbing at the Pond and Atlantis areas--both of which are on Resolution Copper Company property. When (and if) a land exchange goes through for Oak Flat, the license will be expanded to cover those bouldering areas. This license expansion will become effective at the time the Forest Service land is conveyed to RCC ownership. At that time (probably) access to the Mine and Eurodog areas will end--because of mine construction that will occur in or very near to those areas.

Curt

climblouisiana

Oct 30, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #15 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill has not passed yet.

The San Carlos Apaches are involved which will probably cause a delay.

Also mid term elections are coming up.

Kyl's twenty year run in the Senate is being challenged by Pederson. Voting Kyl out may kill the bill in the Senate.

Voting Renzi out may kill the bill in the House.

It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

jp_sucks

Oct 31, 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #16 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm flying into Phoenix in a few weeks to visit my parents who just moved there. Was wondering if QC is the closest climbing area to Phoenix and if access is still good. Also, where is the best place to hook up with partners?

slip

Oct 31, 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #17 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

QC is closest decent climbing to Phoenix. There are some small in-town crags that will be closer, but you are probably better off with QC depending what kind of climbing you are looking to do. If you are going bouldering, www.arizonabouldering.com is a good place to find partners. Looking to rope climb, check out here or one the gyms in town.

jp_sucks

Oct 31, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #18 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, should have specified. Looking primarily for moderate (multi-pitch if possible) trad climbing. Anyone interested, let me know.

fearlessclimber

Nov 3, 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #19 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so is jon kyl for the mining or against it, which senator will sign the bill, does anyone have any headlines on this topic. if you do please post it, im voting in one weeks with the rest of the us. thanks

curt

Nov 3, 2006, 2:05 AM
Post #20 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so is jon kyl for the mining or against it, which senator will sign the bill, does anyone have any headlines on this topic. if you do please post it, im voting in one weeks with the rest of the us. thanks

Kyl and McCain are both sponsoring the land exchange billl in the US Senate. This means they are for the development of the new mine. Rick Renzi (1st Congressional District of AZ) has been the primary sponsor for the land exchange bill in the US House of Representatives.

Curt

climbsomething

Nov 3, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #21 of 22 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know how well Kyl is faring, but now that I live in AZ1, I can say that there is a lot of local Renzi discontent and it's not impossible that he will be ousted by Simon next week.

(Hey, this is the most I've known about politics since 8th grade civics!)

jwkeedy

Oct 30, 2007, 5:03 AM
Post #22 of 22 (3496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [peakandplateau] hope for queen creek!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Arizona Mountaineering Club hosted a cleanup at Queen Creek this past weekend followed by climbing in Upper Devils Canyon. The area is still open for unrestricted climbing, but for how long, we don't know. There is a hearing in Washington on Nov 1st, 2007. If you are interested in this issue I suggest you go to AMCAZ.org and get the latest info.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook