Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Southwest National Parks (UT; NV; WY; ...)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nullnullschneider

Jul 21, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #1 of 5 (450 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Southwest National Parks (UT; NV; WY; ...)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

we are planning on a 4-week camping tour in the Southwest in September. We also want to climb once in a while but not spent our time on researching every climing area and and our money on 30 different climbing guides.
All we are looking for are easy & fun climbs (<5.7) that are not too long (1..3 pitches) and not several miles off the road.

I have considered the "Road n Rock" book... will this help us any?
Are you allowed to climb in National Parks/State Parks? Do the visitor centers provide any informations for climbers (Yellowstone, Zion, Arches, ...)?
Do you have anything else to recommend? (web, books..?)

Thanks a lot in advance,

- 00S

builttospill

Jul 21, 2006, 4:40 AM
Post #2 of 5 (450 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Southwest National Parks (UT; NV; WY; ...) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is your route going to be around the west? That will help determine where you should go and what will be close to where you are driving. If you don't have specific climbs in mind, there's no sense sending you wandering around the desert trying to find something. There are climbs that are easier to find.

Climbing is allowed in all of the national parks in utah (as well as all others that I know of). Arches National Park has some restrictions on formations, and Zion may have a formation or two closed, but they will most likely be the ones with longer routes than what you are looking for.

There is a rock shop in Zion that will be your best source of information for climbing in that area if you decide to climb there.

Their website is here:

http://www.zionrockguides.com/

You can call them when you're in the states for help.

But yeah, give the detailed list and people would be happy to help more than I'm able. Also, are you talking sept 1-31st or are you coming mid-september and staying until mid-october. A lot of the parks will be very hot in early-mid september and some will be quite cold by then, depending on the location, so that will be useful to know.

green_eyes

Jul 21, 2006, 8:02 AM
Post #3 of 5 (450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, i did a trip like that in may, we drove from SLC, UT.,TO to the south, we went to ZION, CANYONLANDS, C.REEF , ZION, and a good spot to stay is for sure INDIAN CREEK, (right before canyonlands) close to the roads, great climbing, trees ( which mean shadow),stream ( water), and a lot of climbers will be there in Sept. That's all i can say about south Utah.....i hope it will help...good luck

nullnullschneider

Jul 21, 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #4 of 5 (450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We will be on the road for September only. We start in the midwest, will head north first (Devils Tower, Yellowstone) and then go south via Salt Lake City to the "National Park Corner".
We have never been there so I think Arches, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef all are worth a visit just for the scenery.
When time allows Yosemite is probably worth the detour, too, right?

I was asking about the visitor centers because that's where we would go anyway... and maybe would save us driving around for local outdoor stores.

You read a lot about big walls and high skill climbing... I hope there is some easy stuff around as well :)

Indian Creeks sound good, I will keep that in mind!

Partner phaedrus

Jul 25, 2006, 5:43 AM
Post #5 of 5 (450 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook