Forums: Community: Campground:
You know how you all evolutionary thinkers...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

vivalargo

Aug 30, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #51 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Re: You know how you all evolutionary thinkers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, Fracture, I've been tossing off stuff at work without really boring into the holes in your presentation, but if you refuse to heel, here goes:

First, I used the "square of opposition" because someone used the old "If A is B and all Bs are C etc." which is classical SOO, the first thing you learn in bonehead logic 101 courses. Nevertheless if you took out math constructs and probablility you have no modern logic and you have no logical positivism.

Also, the guy I ride with is just finishing his PhD in evolutionary psychology at UCSB, one of the really good programs for that field, and we talk about that stuff all the time. There is nothing in that field that insists on a purely determininistic interpretation of human behavior, something you inferred in your last post. That's one of the myths that most people have junked (If we had enough data, everything can be explained), and psychologically the equivalant to fundamentalist religious thought in that it is "all or nothing" thinking, known in cognitive science as a "thought distortion."

But I think we need to look at some general terms just to see where you really are. Theere's the classic statement, "The map is not the territory." Do you agreee or disagree with this? Next, give me an example of intelligent creation--or are you saying no such thing exists? Next, what is the difference between the rational and evaluating mental processes we seen in biological life, and those found in artificial intelligence? Are you trying to bring back the idea (that died with the Enlightment) that eveything can be rationally "known" providing we have sufficient data, and that if something is currently unknown, it's just a matter of data collection and evaluation to get it all squared away. And who said I was supporting the idea of infinite regress? However, if you're saying there is a starting point to time and space, you're left with an even greater riddle--remember what Whitehead said so many years ago--Nothing comes from nothing.

JL

fracture

Aug 30, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #52 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, Fracture, I've been tossing off stuff at work without really boring into the holes in your presentation, but if you refuse to heel, here goes:

First, I used the "square of opposition" because someone used the old "If A is B and all Bs are C etc." which is classical SOO, the first thing you learn in bonehead logic 101 courses.

Blondgecko and I both made some statements resembling traditional logical arguments, however both of our points were to demonstrate the errors in such thinking. Actually, we basically pointed out precisely the same error: biological essentialism.

In reply to:
Also, the guy I ride with is just finishing his PhD in evolutionary psychology at UCSB, one of the really good programs for that field, and we talk about that stuff all the time. There is nothing in that field that insists on a purely determininistic interpretation of human behavior, something you inferred in your last post.

What do you mean by "determinism" here? Predictable? I wouldn't (and didn't) claim any such thing. Don't confuse innateness and predictability (or you'll end up thinking things like non-learning AI can't be creative, which is false). And I'd wager your friend may well agree that emotions (or at least, some of them) are far from the "non-programmed intelligence" you are describing them as.

In reply to:
But I think we need to look at some general terms just to see where you really are. Theere's the classic statement, "The map is not the territory." Do you agreee or disagree with this?

Sure. I reserve the right to reject nonsense applications of it, though. (Such as to the human brain and consciousness.)

In reply to:
Next, give me an example of intelligent creation--or are you saying no such thing exists?

It definitely exists. Here's two examples: novel AI theorem proving, and chipped limestone sport routes.

In reply to:
Next, what is the difference between the rational and evaluating mental processes we seen in biological life, and those found in artificial intelligence?

A matter of degree, and also the areas in which they are (currently) capable of specializing. For example, computers are (generally speaking) better than us at doing "difficult" problems like vast searches of possible moves in a chess position. But parsing human language, something any 3 year old can do (due to her highly specialized hardware), is an extremely difficult problem in AI. As Steven Pinker puts it: "The main lesson of thirty-five years of AI research is that the hard problems are easy and the easy problems are hard."

In reply to:
Are you trying to bring back the idea (that died with the Enlightment) that eveything can be rationally "known" providing we have sufficient data, and that if something is currently unknown, it's just a matter of data collection and evaluation to get it all squared away.

Nope. Don't you think heisenberg uncertainty pretty much kills any unrestricted version of that?

In reply to:
And who said I was supporting the idea of infinite regress?

You seemed to be indicating that you thought the issue of a "first cause" (or even a "first intelligence") was a real problem. (It isn't.)

Maybe I misunderstood.

In reply to:
However, if you're saying there is a starting point to time and space, you're left with an even greater riddle--remember what Whitehead said so many years ago--Nothing comes from nothing.

I don't even want to get into that one. ;)

pinktricam

Aug 30, 2006, 5:01 PM
Post #53 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
But I think we need to look at some general terms just to see where you really are. Theere's the classic statement, "The map is not the territory." Do you agreee or disagree with this?

Sure. I reserve the right to reject nonsense applications of it, though. (Such as to the human brain and consciousness.)
By this do you mean to say that the human brain and consciousness are one and the same?

In reply to:
In reply to:
However, if you're saying there is a starting point to time and space, you're left with an even greater riddle--remember what Whitehead said so many years ago--Nothing comes from nothing.

I don't even want to get into that one. ;)
Why not? It's a fair and intriguing subject.

vivalargo

Aug 30, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #54 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fracture--

I'm at work so I can't really dig into this but are you suggesting that the "map," in terms of consciousness, is actually the territory itself?? If so, man do I have some questions for you to tackle. Really good ones drawn from everyday experience.

Also, are you one of those who believe that sould write off everything prior to the Big Bang as "meaningless" simply because we can't measure or quantify anything with our current tool kit?

These are great questions and grand themes.

JL

fracture

Aug 30, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #55 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Fracture--

I'm at work so I can't really dig into this but are you suggesting that the "map," in terms of consciousness, is actually the territory itself?? If so, man do I have some questions for you to tackle. Really good ones drawn from everyday experience.

What I (and many others) would say is that any explanation of consciousness based on some inexplicable, special, supernatural mind-stuff is not an explanation at all. The mind is distinct from the brain but only in the sense that the mind is hardware-independent. If you were to replace a single neuron in your head with a tiny machine that behaved in the precise same way, your mind would be unaffected.

(I don't know what that means, if anything, for your map/territory thing.)

In reply to:
Also, are you one of those who believe that sould write off everything prior to the Big Bang as "meaningless" simply because we can't measure or quantify anything with our current tool kit?

I don't know much about the topic, although from what I understand some very tempting concepts like what happened "prior" to the Big Bang are self-contradictory (because space and time don't exist prior to the Big Bang).

But lacking more knowledge on the topic, my answer is just "I don't know".

vivalargo

Aug 30, 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #56 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Fracture--

What I (and many others) would say is that any explanation of consciousness based on some inexplicable, special, supernatural mind-stuff is not an explanation at all. The mind is distinct from the brain but only in the sense that the mind is hardware-independent. If you were to replace a single neuron in your head with a tiny machine that behaved in the precise same way, your mind would be unaffected.

(I don't know what that means, if anything, for your map/territory thing.)

In reply to:

I don't know much about the topic, although from what I understand some very tempting concepts like what happened "prior" to the Big Bang are self-contradictory (because space and time don't exist prior to the Big Bang).

Those are the answers I expected, but I didn’t expect the “I don’t know,” which makes it worth continuing the conversation. Let’s take a look at the last statement, that any kind of discussions about existence prior to the Big Bang are de facto “self contradictory.”

One of the illusions of this perspective is that it isn’t a perspective at all, rather it’s the plain and simple truth. But like most all arguments, it is based on a few basic suppositions. What are those?

First, that perspective is purely materialistic—but what does that actually mean? It means that this perspective is based entirely on the dictums of physics, which is the process in one form or another of measuring “things,” stuff, material, or the phenomenon arising in the interface of stuff in the space/time continuum. That’s the tool kit of this perspective—basically, various measuring devices and formulae (including probability and statistics) used to build a model of stuff reliable enough to predict, and sometimes control, or to otherwise explain in mechanical/causal terms how things interact. Now according to this perspective, which relies on data collection, if you can’t collect data to measure et al with the available toolkit, than whatever you are talking about is not “real,” so far as reality is defined by that particular perspective. In other words, unless you can “prove” something is real with said toolkit, it is imaginary, illusory, etc., according to that perspective (IOWs, reality always has a material component, lest it is unreal). That’s why people from this perspective say that existence et al prior to the big bang is not worth talking about—or it’s “impossible” to even ponder--because the available toolkit can not function outside of time and space as it is commonly understood.

Most anyone can appreciate that the limitation with this perspective is the toolkit, not existence/reality itself. This perspective has defined reality one way, and anything that does not fit is “unreal,” false and so forth—but only to that perspective. This perspective dead ends when the space time continuum runs out, but it doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t a way to investigate these things with another tool kit not anchored in material. The problem is that this other toolkit works under different criteria, so for the time being there is little interface between the various perspective, with the materialistic camp yelling foul, and labeling all other perspectives “pseudoscience,” mystical mumbo jumbo, et al. It’s worth someone trying to bridge that seemingly infinite gap between perspectives, someone who can understand that various wisdom traditions have been working on the imponderables for upwards of 4,000 years.

The next issue is the illusion that in terms of consciousness, the map is actually the territory—which suggests that if we only understood (could measure) the territory with enough precision, we could devise a perfect map that would include and to a large degree predict human behavior—meaning it is, at bottom, mechanistic and pretty damn determined.

Consider the following example: There’s a guy on the street in a blind rage and yelling at five guys standing in front of him. The five guys are in turn cringing, crying, laughing, yelling back and neutrally considering the guy in a blind rage. This tells us that the guy in the rage is not “creating,” the responses of the five guys, rather, the five guys are basically sourcing their own reality according to genetic disposition, conditioning, blood sugar level, how much coffee they’ve pounded, how their wife treated them that morning, etc. The thing to take away from this is that by and large we source our own experience. A staunch materialist would say that if we had sufficient data on each, we could how each of the five would respond. If we couldn’t, we simply lacked sufficient data—but so long as our data was complete (the map), we could pretty much know how the territory (behavior) would play out. Behavior being the outcome of measurable, mechanistic patterns inherent in the host.

Now consider one of the techniques used in wisdom traditions called a “pattern interrupt.” Once a person has stabilize raw awareness, they can catch their impulses to act one way or anther—be it picking a certain food or refusing a certain activity or responding this way or that. A pattern interrupt involves doing the opposite of your own programming and impulses, or doing something randomly, or best of all, not doing anything at all. How then, is a person supposed to be entirely programmed and beholden to alogrhythms which include an alogrhythm to ignore, change, and vary the behavior determined by the alogrhythm itself?
Moreover, there is the agency of conscious choice, which can go entirely for, against, or outside what a person’s hardware and software (personality) are insisting (impulses, thoughts, feelings) to do. A mechanical choice function can only function with an end in mind, an outcome, by which it can determine through probability the odds of this of that choice making good on. But what is at work when no end is sought at all, when a person sinks into the process entirely? And how about the experiences that are not tied to sense data, thinking, etc?

My lunch break is now over . . .

JL

blondgecko

Aug 30, 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #57 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm continually intrigued by how people will go to any lengths to convince themselves that they "know" the unknowable. Rather than be satisfied with the intellectually honest "I don't know" they will claim against all reason that what they believe is the way things are, and that they feel sorry for the poor people mired in humdrum reality.

I also find that it's common for these people to project this behaviour onto those they oppose, misrepresenting their argument as "if you can't measure it, it doesn't exist". Of course, in reality the argument is much different: if there is no evidence and no way of getting any, then it is utterly irrational to make any claim whatsoever, positive or negative. You may speculate all you like, as long as you realise that your preferred speculation is no more likely than any other.

vivalargo

Aug 31, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #58 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm continually intrigued by how people will go to any lengths to convince themselves that they "know" the unknowable. Rather than be satisfied with the intellectually honest "I don't know" they will claim against all reason that what they believe is the way things are, and that they feel sorry for the poor people mired in humdrum reality.

I also find that it's common for these people to project this behaviour onto those they oppose, misrepresenting their argument as "if you can't measure it, it doesn't exist". Of course, in reality the argument is much different: if there is no evidence and no way of getting any, then it is utterly irrational to make any claim whatsoever, positive or negative. You may speculate all you like, as long as you realise that your preferred speculation is no more likely than any other.

Let us take a close look at what you are saying here--you didn't read what I wrote earlier since I answered those questions already.

What you are saying--with no questions asked, incidentally--is that the only "knowing" pertains to stuff that you can measure. Material things, in other words. YOU are saying that anything else is unknowable--but how do you know that for a fact? You don't--of that we may be sure. To claim as much is to say that every person from ever wisdom tradition since the beginning of time has been deluded and mistaken--and that only those who can measure material really and truly know at all. Silly rabbit... If you define knowing as purely materialistic, you might want to study epistomology, which has been an active topic for going on 4,000 years.

Lastly, who said there was no evidence of what I've been talking about? Here you are supposed to ask a question--not toss off a daft and uninformed piece of refutation based on your own experience. Of course you may be one of those who's perspective is only open to material evidence, thereby locking yourself into a closed loop to which nothing else will be sought.

What do you think the fundamental nature of mind really is? Content??
Not at all.

Lastly, the study of mind as followed by many traditions is not belief based at all. You need no faith and no beliefs. It's all experiential.

JL

blondgecko

Aug 31, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #59 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What you are saying--with no questions asked, incidentally--is that the only "knowing" pertains to stuff that you can measure. Material things, in other words.

No. Observable things.

In reply to:
YOU are saying that anything else is unknowable--but how do you know that for a fact? You don't--of that we may be sure. To claim as much is to say that every person from ever wisdom tradition since the beginning of time has been deluded and mistaken--and that only those who can measure material really and truly know at all.

Ah, what's a good internet debate without an argument from numbers/authority? :D

Besides that, I didn't say that at all. What I said was, if you cannot observe something, then you do not "know" about it. You can think about it, and you might even stumble upon the correct answer, but you will never "know" until you can actually observe it.

If I was pushed on whether I think that these "wisdom traditions" have been deluded and mistaken, I would have to lean towards "probably". I only have to look at all the weird and wonderful gobbledegook spewed by cults, new agers and various religions in existence today, often with enormous followings, and I realise that vast numbers of people can be wrong about all sorts of things.

In reply to:
Silly rabbit... If you define knowing as purely materialistic, you might want to study epistomology, which has been an active topic for going on 4,000 years.

Another argument from authority. Age in and of itself means absolutely nothing. There's a number of religions at least this old, and so far I find them all to be more or less universally silly.

Personally, I'm much more interested in the more recent fields of study of neuroscience and emergent phenomena, which together are producing an increasingly detailed body of evidence that the mind is firmly and inextricably anchored to the material brain. In other words, all this evidence indicates that we are nothing more than the software running on the brain's "hardware" (for want of a better term).

In reply to:
Lastly, who said there was no evidence of what I've been talking about? Here you are supposed to ask a question--not toss off a daft and uninformed piece of refutation based on your own experience.

Why am I supposed to ask a question. I wasn't refuting anything, simply making an observation based on my experiences to date. Your post actually backs that up quite nicely.

In reply to:
Of course you may be one of those who's perspective is only open to material evidence, thereby locking yourself into a closed loop to which nothing else will be sought.

Let me ask you a question now. What is your criteria as to what constitutes evidence? What is an example of "immaterial" evidence that you find convincing?

In reply to:
What do you think the fundamental nature of mind really is? Content??
Not at all.

Lastly, the study of mind as followed by many traditions is not belief based at all. You need no faith and no beliefs. It's all experiential.

JL

Well, for starters, you seem to need the belief that the mind exists somehow independent of the brain...

vivalargo

Aug 31, 2006, 3:37 AM
Post #60 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He wrote: "If I was pushed on whether I think that these "wisdom traditions" have been deluded and mistaken, I would have to lean towards "probably". I only have to look at all the weird and wonderful gobbledegook spewed by cults, new agers and various religions in existence today, often with enormous followings, and I realise that vast numbers of people can be wrong about all sorts of things."

Dude, are you kidding me? What are you doing chucking cults, new age fluff and all that trash (all the sketchy belief and faith based stuff) in with serious wisdom traditions? Do you understand how a legitimate wisdom tradition actually operates? Do you really believe that everyone who has ever spent the long years studying their mind is totally deluded? Probably? That's a remarkable statement that is really one for the ages--especially since many wisdom traditions use modern neuroscience (especially neurofeedback, qEEG and a ton of other tools)
as training tools. Modern wisdom traditions have no qualms against- material based tools--that's the starting point. We're in a body, after all, and there will always be a biological signature to all brain-based activity. But why stop there? Why stop with observable data?

And your "authority" crack is straight out of somatics/linguistics, whihc used to be my wheelhouse. It's a sly way to snub and dismiss (by those who rarely gointo what they are actually dismissing) everything that has gone before in an attempt to shift authority (usually in absolutist terms) to the sad sac wielding the retort.

Ironic thing is that while wisdom traditions go about their practices in different ways (which best fit different personality types), all begin with observing "observable" data--namely, the content of our minds. It takes long years to get unhooked for this content and that's when mind itself becomes the subject of study. In it's nascent form, mind has no content, in the same sense that Zen has no content. You can't grasp and measure it, but the adventure continues nonetheless.

No viable wisdom tradition is in conflict with what your are saying and your perspective for one simple reason: at bottom, wisdom traditions have no inherent content, just like your mind, just like the space between your thoughts. The famed neuroscientist Les Fehmi was one of the first westerners to provide a technology how we can develop as intimate a relationship with the unobserved as the observed.

Another interesting thing to consider is the relationship of choice (mentioned earlier), impulses, and the witness state. The mechanistic and materialistic models totally break down in this investigation, leaving us--what?

At the bottom of all materialistic perspectives is a causal belief that matter creates mind, meaning that biology is the first or "efficient" cause of mind. It also means that this perspective is basically reductionism, leading some to believe that if were were to have a sufficiently accurate map, we could replicate mind. Wonder who is working on the program for choice and the witness agency that can connect with the unobserved?

JL

blondgecko

Aug 31, 2006, 6:04 AM
Post #61 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He wrote: "If I was pushed on whether I think that these "wisdom traditions" have been deluded and mistaken, I would have to lean towards "probably". I only have to look at all the weird and wonderful gobbledegook spewed by cults, new agers and various religions in existence today, often with enormous followings, and I realise that vast numbers of people can be wrong about all sorts of things."

Dude, are you kidding me? What are you doing chucking cults, new age fluff and all that trash (all the sketchy belief and faith based stuff) in with serious wisdom traditions? Do you understand how a legitimate wisdom tradition actually operates? Do you really believe that everyone who has ever spent the long years studying their mind is totally deluded? Probably? That's a remarkable statement that is really one for the ages--especially since many wisdom traditions use modern neuroscience (especially neurofeedback, qEEG and a ton of other tools)
as training tools. Modern wisdom traditions have no qualms against- material based tools--that's the starting point. We're in a body, after all, and there will always be a biological signature to all brain-based activity. But why stop there? Why stop with observable data?

And your "authority" crack is straight out of somatics/linguistics, whihc used to be my wheelhouse. It's a sly way to snub and dismiss (by those who rarely gointo what they are actually dismissing) everything that has gone before in an attempt to shift authority (usually in absolutist terms) to the sad sac wielding the retort.

Ok, a couple of things here. The argument you made that this was in reply to was a classic argument from numbers/argument from authority. Implicit in your statement
In reply to:
To claim as much is to say that every person from ever wisdom tradition since the beginning of time has been deluded and mistaken
is the idea that "this number of wise people over this much time could not possibly be wrong. Of course, this is a logical fallacy straight from "bonehead logic 101", as you so eloquently put it.

C'mon - for the majority of human history, the majority of the population has been only semi-literate and poorly educated, and has held on to some pretty strange beliefs (some would say that not much has changed). The fact that a particular belief system has been around for a long time, or has a lot of adherents, means very little.

Also, you might want to point me towards a few references for what you consider "serious" wisdom traditions. The links I've found so far have done very little to dissuade me from my categorization above.

Finally, your talk about the use of modern tools reminds me of the time I was stopped at a train station by a pair of Scientologists wielding a galvanic skin response biofeedback device. Having used one of these before, I though "what the hell" and had a go. They then proceeded to tell me how this device was measuring the state of my inner Thetan, and told me I should buy a bunch of books. :roll: Point is, using the instruments means very little - it's the analysis and interpretation that counts.

Oh, and if you can tell me a way to get at "non-observable data", I'd be very glad to hear it. Of course, then it would be observable data... :? I'm lost. Help me out here.

In reply to:
Ironic thing is that while wisdom traditions go about their practices in different ways (which best fit different personality types), all begin with observing "observable" data--namely, the content of our minds. It takes long years to get unhooked for this content and that's when mind itself becomes the subject of study. In it's nascent form, mind has no content, in the same sense that Zen has no content. You can't grasp and measure it, but the adventure continues nonetheless.

No viable wisdom tradition is in conflict with what your are saying and your perspective for one simple reason: at bottom, wisdom traditions have no inherent content, just like your mind, just like the space between your thoughts. The famed neuroscientist Les Fehmi was one of the first westerners to provide a technology how we can develop as intimate a relationship with the unobserved as the observed.

But from what you've described, they are in conflict with what I'm saying. You seem to be claiming that the mind exists as an entity apart from the body. All the evidence I've seen (and there's a lot) says that this simply isn't the case. There may be a lot going on in the brain that we are't aware of, but the evidence says that everything is firmly rooted in the material.

In reply to:

Another interesting thing to consider is the relationship of choice (mentioned earlier), impulses, and the witness state. The mechanistic and materialistic models totally break down in this investigation, leaving us--what?

No, they don't. See above.

In reply to:
At the bottom of all materialistic perspectives is a causal belief that matter creates mind, meaning that biology is the first or "efficient" cause of mind. It also means that this perspective is basically reductionism, leading some to believe that if were were to have a sufficiently accurate map, we could replicate mind. Wonder who is working on the program for choice

I think that's nowhere near as difficult a problem as you seem to think. and the witness agency that can connect with the unobserved?

JL
Here, I'm afraid, I have no idea what you're talking about.

robbovius

Aug 31, 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #62 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[---mysterianism dies hard...

very true, I'll carry the torch for "96 Tears" to my fucking GRAVE.

pinktricam

Aug 31, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #63 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
MAYBE THIS WOULD ALL MAKE SENSE TO YOU IF YOU HAD TAKEN HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL BIOLOGY AND PAID ATTENTION!
...or maybe I should go back and retake the two college level biology courses and also the anatomy and physiology one and two courses, all with their repective labs...the ones I made A's and B's in. Yeah, maybe if I retook them all then I would learn something.

Young man, you should learn to think outside of the box. Don't just bovinely accept all that's fed to you.

yanqui

Aug 31, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #64 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, for starters, you seem to need the belief that the mind exists somehow independent of the brain...

Even a digital computer needs a program. Though I seriously doubt the human mind, even when it's working on mathematical or logical problems, functions anything like a programmed Turing machine. Of course I could be wrong.

Can a digital computer, operating from a human based program show creativity independent of any creativity already inherent in the program? This might be an interesting question, but I don't know the answer. I guess I would say, if I saw a digital computer that could select interrelated 'interesting' conjectures from an infinite range of possibilities, focus on proving the self selected 'interesting' conjectures, then in turn develop more advanced conjectures based on it's earlier work, and in this way evolve a (more or less) unified body of uniquely structured 'computer-interest' generated mathematics, then I would say that the computer had been creative. I not sure if this is just a matter of degree, but I doubt it.

Human mathematics is much more than theorem proving. A fundamental part of mathematics is trying to decide what theorems one should even try to prove. What's given mathematics its direction and progress in history has been the 'important' conjectures, the 'big' problems, the ideas and concepts, and the speculations which have lead mathematicians to work in certain directions (and not others). These lead us to work in the directions we deem as 'interesting'. Of course mathematicians are always fighting about that. What results, directions, problems, conjectures, etc. are the 'interesting' ones? One thing's for sure, historically speaking, the criteria has never been pure utility.

Mathematics gives a clear example of the logical human mind. Yet mathematics is not some fixed structure, predetermined by logic. Rather it has evolved in a uniquely human way. The culture of mathematics that we share, certainly does exist apart from any single brain (although brains are necessary equipment). So in this sense, the human mind is not 'just' the brain. If you want to do mathematics, if you want posses that sort of 'knowledge' you must first confront that preexisting structure. You must sit in classrooms, talk to teachers, write e-mails, read books, study. And especially you must confront, adapt to, and try to understand the rigid structures left by so many others. Even if you are some extremely rare genius, you will not realize and prove the million dollar Clay Institute problems with just your brain alone in isolation.

I recently read about a tribe in the Amazon that had a culture with absolutely no concept of number. The researcher who lived with them tried for months to teach a small group to count to 20. He had no success. They just weren't interested. You see, I seriously doubt the brains of these tribesman are much different from mine. But their 'mind', that is their basic experience of the world, is to some extent fundamentally different from mine. Is their experience of the world somehow 'wrong' or 'false'? Is it 'primitive' and 'backwards'? Perhaps interesting questions. But I doubt these questions can be answered just by comparing brains.

reno

Aug 31, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #65 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is really not much difference between a "mutation" and a pre-existing "genetic variable", since once DNA has been mutated, it becomes a pre-existing "genetic variable". DNA is just a long chain molecule, with the ordering of the chain representing the ordering of protein structures. Certain lucky combinations of codes transcribe, under the right cicumstances, to become functioning proteins within a given organism. Sometimes, a code will be knocked loose (by ionizing radiation, such as UV light from the sun, for instance) and result in a failure to produce the desired protein--this results in death if the change is significant. Rarely, the changed code will cause a very minor change in the protein/organism/cell/whatever, such that the organism is only slightly different from the other organisms.

You don't know much about genetics, do you?

vivalargo

Aug 31, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #66 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, Bondgeko, dig this: You shold know better--and I trust that you do--that it's not the fault of the tool (galvanic skin biofeedback), but how it's used that makes all the difference. You're example of Scientologists (surely one of the most wacko outfits in the universe) using biofeedback gear seems to imply that it's the gear, not the wacos, who are guilty of foolishness. That's like saying that because a terrorist group uses a computer, all computers are bogus. That's not only plain wrong, but hints that you're not really serious in your handling of this material. Howeever you did say one thing that holds out hope for escaping the chains of your perspective: and the witness agency that can connect with the unobserved?

JL

Here, I'm afraid, I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you realliy want to find out, I can direct you to a source, but you've got to do the work yourself, and no one is going to give you an answer for you to mull over in your rational mind, since the rational/linear mind is for most the stumbling block in the first place. The meaning most folks hold so dear is nothing more than the content of the rational mind--and no, sources of other meaning and so forth are not "irrational." But as you said, you don't know, but the will to find out is a good first step.

Lastly, you mentioned that programming choice (not based on statistics, measuring or numbers) ) in a computer is not so difficult a problem as I suggested? Really now--kindly name one source that has made any headway on this problem in a way that is not totally beholden to the programming itself. One of the great myths of the rational mind is that if we can only get the map accurate enough, it will be synonomous with the territory--but we will never see that played out in this world.

And dude, who said that the observing mind is independent of the body?? It's just that consciousness is non-local--but you'd have to do a lot of conwsciousness work to experience that first hand.

I wish I had time to reply to your statistical based attempt to write off the wisdom of the past as ingnorant and superstitious. Like I said, if you're considering Scientology in terms of wisdom traditions I suspect you're tossing legitimate science in with biblical based creationism, both being patently absurd.

JL

phillygoat

Aug 31, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #67 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One of the great myths of the rational mind is that if we can only get the map accurate enough, it will be synonomous with the territory--

JL

This reminds me of something the author Jim Harrison said- That writers believe they can solve the world's problems if they can just get the language right. (Or something to that effect)

vivalargo

Aug 31, 2006, 8:26 PM
Post #68 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
One of the great myths of the rational mind is that if we can only get the map accurate enough, it will be synonomous with the territory--

JL

This reminds me of something the author Jim Harrison said- That writers believe they can solve the world's problems if they can just get the language right. (Or something to that effect)

One of the other things that get lost in this kind of conversation is the simple fact that the rational mind can only get hold of things and functions. So no matter how accurate a map one works up for the rational and analytical aspect of our minds, it will never capture what underlies and animates all function—being itself, an immeasurable quality that transcends and yet contains all equations, and from which all functions arise.

JL

fracture

Aug 31, 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #69 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Those are the answers I expected, but I didn’t expect the “I don’t know,” which makes it worth continuing the conversation. Let’s take a look at the last statement, that any kind of discussions about existence prior to the Big Bang are de facto “self contradictory.”

One of the illusions of this perspective is that it isn’t a perspective at all, rather it’s the plain and simple truth. But like most all arguments, it is based on a few basic suppositions. What are those?

First, that perspective is purely materialistic—

Right.

In reply to:
Most anyone can appreciate that the limitation with this perspective is the toolkit, not existence/reality itself. This perspective has defined reality one way, and anything that does not fit is “unreal,” false and so forth—but only to that perspective.

Hmm. What do you think there is that doesn't fit into that perspective? If it is really true that "most anyone can appreciate" it, I'd like to think I'm not one of the unlucky few who is incapable of understanding whatever argument it is that you're thinking of. ;)

In reply to:
It’s worth someone trying to bridge that seemingly infinite gap between perspectives, someone who can understand that various wisdom traditions have been working on the imponderables for upwards of 4,000 years.

Like blondgecko, I'm curious what you're granting the status of "wisdom tradition".

One interesting thing to note about modern science, is that while it arguably is a couple millennia old, the rate at which it is achieving results has rapidly accelerated in the past few centuries. The past couple hundred years have probably had as many revolutions in our fundamental understanding of physics as the couple thousand years before them.

Thus, if the age of any thing is actually relevant (and it isn't), we would probably be better tempted toward a healthy skepticism that is proportional to how old the system of thought is. "4,000 years old" is a demerit for a philosophy, not a merit, if it is anything at all.

In reply to:
The next issue is the illusion that in terms of consciousness, the map is actually the territory—which suggests that if we only understood (could measure) the territory with enough precision, we could devise a perfect map that would include and to a large degree predict human behavior—meaning it is, at bottom, mechanistic and pretty damn determined.

Human behavior is already pretty predictable on some levels without the map you're talking about. But even so, your suggestion isn't necessarily a tenet of physicalism. There are people (I know because I'm one of them) with a physicalist world-view who would reject the claim that one could (in principle) accurately predict human behavior based on perfect knowledge of the states of all the stuff that comprises them.

For an analogy, imagine predicting the behavior of a (uncontroversially) determinstic computer program purely from a description of the positions of all the sub-atomic particles that comprise the machine. Even if we cheat, and give you the source code instead---which is a much higher level of description---it can be difficult or impossible to predict the behavior. A general problem of this nature (the halting problem) is in fact provably unsolvable---yet there is no contradiction with either determinism or physicalism there.

A second objection here is that a perfect description of the state of a human is not sufficient to predict its actions anyway, without an equally perfect description of everything in its environment (its interaction with its parents, friends, or even the tiny gravitational pull from the non-planet Pluto). This description isn't even possible in principle: a perfect description of the state of a universe is impossible unless the thing doing the describing is completely outside of the universe itself (or at least, far enough from the thing being described that it cannot have influence in the relevant time-frame, due to the limit on the speed of light). Perfect self-information is impossible for any information processing device, and that information is relevant in the type of prediction you are talking about.

Perhaps an even simpler exposition of this common misunderstanding of determinism is the difficulties in solving the n-body problem. The best way we know how to predict the (nontheless deterministic) behavior of a system of three or more point-masses subject to the mutual effects of Newtonian gravitation is to try it in a computer simulation (shameless plug: a friend of mine has written one of these), which necessarily gives you results that are inaccurate to some degree.

In reply to:
A pattern interrupt involves doing the opposite of your own programming and impulses, or doing something randomly, or best of all, not doing anything at all. How then, is a person supposed to be entirely programmed and beholden to alogrhythms which include an alogrhythm to ignore, change, and vary the behavior determined by the alogrhythm itself?

You are asking how apparently random action could come from a determinstic algorithm?

I'd suggest you read up on psuedorandom number generators, which is what your computer uses to fake non-determinism. Playing chess against your computer would be pretty un-fun if it always made the same response in a given situation, eh?

In reply to:
Moreover, there is the agency of conscious choice, which can go entirely for, against, or outside what a person’s hardware and software (personality) are insisting (impulses, thoughts, feelings) to do. A mechanical choice function can only function with an end in mind, an outcome, by which it can determine through probability the odds of this of that choice making good on.

This isn't true. Evolution by natural selection is a good example of an algorithm with no "end in mind".

fracture

Aug 31, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #70 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At the bottom of all materialistic perspectives is a causal belief that matter creates mind, meaning that biology is the first or "efficient" cause of mind. It also means that this perspective is basically reductionism, leading some to believe that if were were to have a sufficiently accurate map, we could replicate mind

Again, "reductionism" is a term often thrown about without a good understanding of what is supposed to be meant by it. If you are saying that a theory of mind that isn't dualistic is "reductionist" in the sense that it explains complex things in terms of interactions of simpler things, you are uttering an uncontroversial (and uninteresting) truism. But if you mean that it is tantamount to insisting that the only meaningful explanation of things is the one available at the lowest level where small particles interact ("greedy reductionism"), you're simply wrong. Experience in computer programming (where layers of abstraction are continually being added to make reasoning about programs simpler) is probably one of the best examples of why, as I was arguing earlier.

Dennett describes the "good" (non-greedy) kind of reductionism as "... simply the commitment to non-question-begging science without any cheating by embracing mysteries or miracles at the outset."

fracture

Aug 31, 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #71 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Even a digital computer needs a program. Though I seriously doubt the human mind, even when it's working on mathematical or logical problems, functions anything like a programmed Turing machine. Of course I could be wrong.

Well, for one thing it's obviously not serial hardware. But I think you're trying to make a broader assertion than that---namely that the actions of a brain can't even be simulated by a serial Turing machine, because it is fundamentally not describable as information processing or computation?

In reply to:
Can a digital computer, operating from a human based program show creativity independent of any creativity already inherent in the program? This might be an interesting question, but I don't know the answer. I guess I would say, if I saw a digital computer that could select interrelated 'interesting' conjectures from an infinite range of possibilities, focus on proving the self selected 'interesting' conjectures, then in turn develop more advanced conjectures based on it's earlier work, and in this way evolve a (more or less) unified body of uniquely structured 'computer-interest' generated mathematics, then I would say that the computer had been creative. I not sure if this is just a matter of degree, but I doubt it.

But why do you doubt it? And why set the bar so high for "real" creativity? Are you sure you're not just going to move it higher and higher as machines get more and more creative?

In reply to:
Human mathematics is much more than theorem proving.

That's true. But I don't know very many math guys who think theorem proving doesn't require creativity....

In reply to:
I recently read about a tribe in the Amazon that had a culture with absolutely no concept of number.

According to Steven Pinker, despite (many) historical claims of the above sort by deluded anthropologists, all languages have words for numbers. (At the least, for "one", "two", and "more than two".)

Anyway, what's your source for that? I'd like to look into it.

In reply to:
The researcher who lived with them tried for months to teach a small group to count to 20. He had no success. They just weren't interested. You see, I seriously doubt the brains of these tribesman are much different from mine. But their 'mind', that is their basic experience of the world, is to some extent fundamentally different from mine.

No way. Just because you don't have a word for a concept doesn't mean that you can't understand the concept.

If the above anecdote is even remotely accurate, perhaps the "small group" just didn't feel like learning about counting, or understand why they were being asked to do it. There are tons of amusing anecdotes in the history of anthropology where anthropologists have misinterpreted lack of cooperation (or even deliberate mischief-making) for fundamental differences in culture (or even fundamental differences in the way people think).

English doesn't have a word for a number-with-exactly-three-prime-factors, but that doesn't mean we can't reason about such numbers, if we want to.

vivalargo

Aug 31, 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #72 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This starting to hone in on the good stuff:

He wrote: Quote:
A pattern interrupt involves doing the opposite of your own programming and impulses, or doing something randomly, or best of all, not doing anything at all. How then, is a person supposed to be entirely programmed and beholden to alogrhythms which include an alogrhythm to ignore, change, and vary the behavior determined by the alogrhythm itself?

You are asking how apparently random action could come from a determinstic algorithm?

Nope. No cigar. There's nothing "apparently" random about a pattern intterup. Choice, as we know it, is largely determined by psychological and genetic factors and conditioning--till you take the time to move outside that closed loop. The deterministic alogrithm, in terms of behavior, are the mechanical thoughts and impulses that drive behavior. For instance, I somewhat understand how you have been programmed and how your personality type processes information, and so your answers are going to largely be predictable according to a certain mode of thought/perspective. But what happens when you consciously choose to go against your impulses and automatic conditioned answers and to look at things from another perspective? It's not a random choice.

Quote:
Moreover, there is the agency of conscious choice, which can go entirely for, against, or outside what a person’s hardware and software (personality) are insisting (impulses, thoughts, feelings) to do. A mechanical choice function can only function with an end in mind, an outcome, by which it can determine through probability the odds of this of that choice making good on.

This isn't true. Evolution by natural selection is a good example of an algorithm with no "end in mind".

Dude, ask any evolutionary psychoilogist and they'll tell you straight out that most ever human behavior has at it's base the intention of securing their survival--a very definate goal or "end." Read up on attachment theory--the impulse to bond with caregivers is stronger than even the impuse to eat.

Lastly, wisdom traditions are not "schools of thought." Thought is the stumbling block in the first place to ever rubbing elbows with infinate qualities, as are beliefs based on doctrine.

JL

fracture

Aug 31, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #73 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Nope. No cigar. There's nothing "apparently" random about a pattern intterup. Choice, as we know it, is largely determined by psychological and genetic factors and conditioning--till you take the time to move outside that closed loop. The deterministic alogrithm, in terms of behavior, are the mechanical thoughts and impulses that drive behavior. For instance, I somewhat understand how you have been programmed and how your personality type processes information, and so your answers are going to largely be predictable according to a certain mode of thought/perspective. But what happens when you consciously choose to go against your impulses and automatic conditioned answers and to look at things from another perspective? It's not a random choice.

Care to give an example of a "pattern interrupt"? While the concept sounds interesting, I have to say it's starting to sound vaguely like there is a requirement bordering on supernatural....

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
A mechanical choice function can only function with an end in mind, an outcome, by which it can determine through probability the odds of this of that choice making good on.

Dude, ask any evolutionary psychoilogist and they'll tell you straight out that most ever human behavior has at it's base the intention of securing their survival--a very definate goal or "end."

"Most"? I guess the truth of your claim depends on how wide you mean that. I think there is likely no one who believes all human behavior is simply about survival (by which I think you probably meant replication). Otherwise, how would you explain phenomena like suicide cults?

Anyway: natural selection, regardless of the above, doesn't have an end in mind. That's part of why it's such a revolutionary theory. Natural selection can only countenance mutations which either have no effect on fitness or which benefit fitness in the very short term. It can't make mutations that make an organism temporarily less efficient in order to eventually get to some goal---it doesn't and can't look ahead. This is why Dawkins describes it as a "Blind Watchmaker".

In reply to:
Lastly, wisdom traditions are not "schools of thought." Thought is the stumbling block in the first place to ever rubbing elbows with infinate qualities, as are beliefs based on doctrine.

I'm afraid there's likely no way to convince me of this. (Pending the still-missing examples of "wisdom traditions".)

vivalargo

Aug 31, 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #74 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I'd suggest you read up on psuedorandom number generators, which is what your computer uses to fake non-determinism."

Implied in this whopper is that all acts are wholly determined, though we can't say quite how because that would require a feedback system that was outside of "everything." This is tantamount to mechanicalism, whereas anything outside of the purely mechanical is postulated as "fake," and was in fact determined all along. Where this dries up and runs aground is again related to being. Mechanicalism is all about prediction what is done, what you do, and has no correlate per patern interrupts where you feel an impulse and do nothing but ride the energy of the impulse of the physio-psychological alogr. You might program a pause function into the equation according to a given stimulus, but the temporal switching from on to off, from doing to being to doing again, can be a matter of conscious choice, not impulse. Mechanicalism is totally beholden to impulses (thoughts, feelings, sensations, et al), but the task and non task of heeding, ignoring, abiding in, and going in another direction from, is unprogrammable because it is not random and is not programmed.

A greater question is: of all the functions and experiences of mind, which ones are not unprogrammable? Guess what a materialist will believe.

JL

fracture

Sep 1, 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #75 of 123 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"I'd suggest you read up on psuedorandom number generators, which is what your computer uses to fake non-determinism."

Implied in this whopper is that all acts are wholly determined, though we can't say quite how because that would require a feedback system that was outside of "everything."

I didn't imply that at all. The truth is that we don't know whether the universe is deterministic or not, and for that matter we probably can't know (because of Heisenberg uncertainty).

However, we do know that the sub-universe of (many) computer programs is determinstic. And we do know that they can't generate real random numbers.

Either way, the question doesn't have as many implications as many people think. If you swapped out the random number generator used in a computer chess algorithm for a random number generator that was truly indeterministic (some sort of special hardware), the thing would play the same quality game of chess. In fact, it would be very difficult for an outside observer to figure out which program uses the generator that is really random and which uses the one that is only psuedo-random.

The determinism vs. indeterminism thing is really not very important for philosophy of mind. At the least, not nearly as important as people have historically made it out to be.

In reply to:
A greater question is: of all the functions and experiences of mind, which ones are not unprogrammable? Guess what a materialist will believe.

I don't understand the question... What do you mean by "unprogrammable"?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook