Forums: Community: Campground:
You know how you all evolutionary thinkers...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

vivalargo

Sep 1, 2006, 1:57 AM
Post #76 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Re: You know how you all evolutionary thinkers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
A greater question is: of all the functions and experiences of mind, which ones are not unprogrammable? Guess what a materialist will believe.

I don't understand the question... What do you mean by "unprogrammable"?

That was sly of me because it's a trick question used in grad school philosophy--i.e., it is a question to determine if you think that every action is the consequent of antecedent causes, meaning you perceive biological (living) reality (not "machine" reality, which deals only with quantifiable functions and processes) to be wholly linear, like A, B, C, etc...

Another question is: what human activities, no matter how discrete, are not determined but are in fact outside the loop of conditioned and genetically/culturally programmed factors.

Thens there's the issue of intelligence manifesting that is not the product of the rational part of the mind and that is in fact too fast for the rational mind to compute and produce--like a jazz soloist playing at light speed. By the way, when is the program going to come along to replace all our favorite jazz and pop artists??

I guess I'm just poking fun at those who actually believe that someone smart enough can fashion a good enough map of biological intelligence that someday they will be able to surpass it in creative fields. But some folks believe creativity is itself determined, or the fruit of programming, meaning a machine can and will do every human task in time. That's basically transferring the all or nothing thinking of religious fanatics onto science, and science is not life itself and never can be. Why do you think they call it "artificial" intelligence? Because it deals only in probabilities--high and small--indispensible for practical living, useless for answering, or even addressing, the really big questions.

JL

organic

Sep 1, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #77 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, I think this is the worst evolution thread ever. Almost saved by reno's ocassional cracks on genetics and my understanding of bacteria.

fracture

Sep 1, 2006, 4:32 AM
Post #78 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
A greater question is: of all the functions and experiences of mind, which ones are not unprogrammable? Guess what a materialist will believe.

I don't understand the question... What do you mean by "unprogrammable"?

That was sly of me because it's a trick question used in grad school philosophy--i.e., it is a question to determine if you think that every action is the consequent of antecedent causes, meaning you perceive biological (living) reality (not "machine" reality, which deals only with quantifiable functions and processes) to be wholly linear, like A, B, C, etc...

I don't think I understand the question still. Unless the following is supposed to be a rephrasing of it...

In reply to:
Another question is: what human activities, no matter how discrete, are not determined but are in fact outside the loop of conditioned and genetically/culturally programmed factors.

This question seems to simply be "is determinism true". My answer is "I don't know", and moreover it isn't particularly important for answering important questions in philosophy of mind. (Cf. what I was saying earlier about the usually unimportant consequences of replacing a psuedo-random number generator with a real indeterministic random number generator.)

In reply to:
Thens there's the issue of intelligence manifesting that is not the product of the rational part of the mind and that is in fact too fast for the rational mind to compute and produce--like a jazz soloist playing at light speed.

What's the problem with that? Same thing happens for climbers executing difficult movement sequences after practice. You could ask fluxus if you want an explanation of some of the science about how the process of motor learning takes us from a very cognitively expensive state to an autonomous, efficient ability level. (None of this refutes physicalism or even causes problems for it, by the way. I'm not really sure why you bring it up.)

In reply to:
But some folks believe creativity is itself determined, or the fruit of programming, meaning a machine can and will do every human task in time. That's basically transferring the all or nothing thinking of religious fanatics onto science, and science is not life itself and never can be.

No one in this thread (so far as I can recall) has been claiming that a machine "will do every human task in time". I don't think there is anywhere near enough information for us to give a verdict on that issue yet (cf. Minsky from earlier).

Perhaps we won't be able to create computer programs with intelligence on par with humans; but there's no reason to believe that they can't be intelligent at all. They already are capable of being programmed to demonstrate some amount of intelligence in highly specialized areas (expert systems, computer chess, etc).

In reply to:
Why do you think they call it "artificial" intelligence? Because it deals only in probabilities--high and small--indispensible for practical living, useless for answering, or even addressing, the really big questions.

Artificial Intelligence (together with the theory of computation) has done more for philosophy of mind than philosophers have managed in a couple thousand years, and it's done it in about half a century. Couple it with neo-Darwinism, and we're already capable of a rough, naturalistic sketch of a theory of consciousness.

Presumably the more we learn about it, the more the "sketch" of consciousness will turn into a real scientific theory.

[Edited slightly; I misread what you were saying about "uselessness".]

mojorisin

Sep 1, 2006, 1:58 PM
Post #79 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is one tight thread.

Partner tradman

Sep 1, 2006, 2:13 PM
Post #80 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Artificial Intelligence (together with the theory of computation) has done more for philosophy of mind than philosophers have managed in a couple thousand years, and it's done it in about half a century.

I'd imagine most people would say that that's very, very debateable. Apart from anything else, AI and computability theory wouldn't exist at all without those millennia of philosophy.

It seems a little hasty to trash 2000 years of philosophy just because it didn't yield the answers you wanted, hmmm?

yanqui

Sep 1, 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #81 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, for one thing it's obviously not serial hardware. But I think you're trying to make a broader assertion than that---namely that the actions of a brain can't even be simulated by a serial Turing machine, because it is fundamentally not describable as information processing or computation?

I don't know what 'serial' hardware is, but my point was not that some actions of the brain cannot be simulated by a Turing machine (I know what a Turing machine is - I could even give a precise definition and maybe prove theorems about them- but I have no idea what a 'serial' Turing machine is). Turing machines were developed as a sort of thought experiment to simulate the algorithimic type of calulations which play a small (if not insiginificant) role in mathematics, e.g. long division, matix multiplication, etc.

My point is that, even in mathematics, which is one of the most precisely logical disciplines there is, carrying out algorithms seems to be a very small, perhaps even rather unimportant part of the thought process that goes on. This is an 'observation' I am making from having worked in the field for more than 20 years. Ask any working research mathematician how they think about and solve problems, and hardly a single one of them will say they work from algorithms, except perhaps in a very few special cases. Read what that NY Times article has to say about what mathematicians say about how they do work. That sounds right to me. We don't choose the star students for scholarships based on the fact those students can calculate rapidly and precisely with algorithms.

So that's why I say the human mind probably does not function like a Turing machine, even when it's doing math. Because the theory that it does runs totally counter to my experience and the experience of other mathematicians I've known. I admit that this experience could be some kind of an illusion, and that maybe this hypothetical theory that the brain works like a Turing machine, even when it appears not to be, is correct. I'm just saying that I doubt it's correct and the evidence for it seems to be weak.

In reply to:
Can a digital computer, operating from a human based program show creativity independent of any creativity already inherent in the program? This might be an interesting question, but I don't know the answer. I guess I would say, if I saw a digital computer that could select interrelated 'interesting' conjectures from an infinite range of possibilities, focus on proving the self selected 'interesting' conjectures, then in turn develop more advanced conjectures based on it's earlier work, and in this way evolve a (more or less) unified body of uniquely structured 'computer-interest' generated mathematics, then I would say that the computer had been creative. I not sure if this is just a matter of degree, but I doubt it.

In reply to:
But why do you doubt it?

Again: my saying 'I doubt it' is based on my experience. I do not know a logical proof that what I'm calling creativity cannot be reproduced by a Turining machine. Such a proof may or may not be possible. Maybe we should ask a theorem proving computer?

What I am saying is it seems to me to what I'm calling 'creativity' involves a different level of thinking and I don't see any reason to doubt that. Maybe you can give me one?

In reply to:
And why set the bar so high for "real" creativity? Are you sure you're not just going to move it higher and higher as machines get more and more creative?

If a computer actually began to do what I'm suggesting, I suppose I would want to start asking it's opinion about whether it got turned off or not. But I think we'll have to wait, at least, for the quantum computer, or more probably: for some yet undiscovered possibity. Perhaps a mix of the organic and the binary?

In reply to:
Human mathematics is much more than theorem proving.

In reply to:
That's true. But I don't know very many math guys who think theorem proving doesn't require creativity....

There's no doubt that the way human beings discover proofs seems remarkably creative. Downright amazing. Even in the simplest things they sometimes see remarkable connections. How does that happen? I would love to know. Do you know the story/legend about Gauss as a child and the sum of all integers to 100? If you don't, ask me, because it's a beautiful illustration of this.

In reply to:
I recently read about a tribe in the Amazon that had a culture with absolutely no concept of number.

In reply to:
According to Steven Pinker, despite (many) historical claims of the above sort by deluded anthropologists, all languages have words for numbers. (At the least, for "one", "two", and "more than two".)

Anyway, what's your source for that? I'd like to look into it.

Anthropolists are deluded, but Steven Pinker isn't? Hmmmm...., whatever. I guess we all need our heroes. At any rate I read about this pretty recently in 'New Scientist', which is a popular English science rag. I think the guy wrote a book or something and still hangs out with the tribe. I will try to find you a reference.

In reply to:
The researcher who lived with them tried for months to teach a small group to count to 20. He had no success. They just weren't interested. You see, I seriously doubt the brains of these tribesman are much different from mine. But their 'mind', that is their basic experience of the world, is to some extent fundamentally different from mine.

In reply to:
No way. Just because you don't have a word for a concept doesn't mean that you can't understand the concept.

If the above anecdote is even remotely accurate, perhaps the "small group" just didn't feel like learning about counting, or understand why they were being asked to do it. There are tons of amusing anecdotes in the history of anthropology where anthropologists have misinterpreted lack of cooperation (or even deliberate mischief-making) for fundamental differences in culture (or even fundamental differences in the way people think).

English doesn't have a word for a number-with-exactly-three-prime-factors, but that doesn't mean we can't reason about such numbers, if we want to.

It's kind of ironic the attitude about anthropologists. If their experiences run counter some 'theory' about way people think, then those experiences must be delusions. And so it goes with all of us in so many of our interpretations. The funny thing is, replace my example of the tribe, with your example of anthropologists and it amounts to same point I was trying to make originally. Although you make a value judgement about the quality of the anthropolgist's experience: it must be 'deluded', and I was dancing away from such assesments.

We do seem to have a somewhat different idea about what 'experience' means and where it comes from. If I look at the sky, see the planet Mars and know that it's whirling anout the sun in (roughly) an elliptical orbit that can be mathematical deduced, via calculus, from Newton's simple law of gravity, is my 'experience' of what I see, different, in some fundamental way, from the 'experience' of people of, say, in some remote indigenous tribe that look up and see points of light that mean .... (fill in the blank).

What I mean by 'experience' includes these differences (the 'interpretation' or 'our understanding' of what we see). In some ways our 'experience' can fundamentally different, even while we look at exactly the same thing. We approach these things with different theories, concepts, interests, cultures, memories, emotions, feelings, etc. etc. which are as important to our 'experince' as is the 'reality' we are facing. This is not, for example, simply a matter of 'words'. It is much more complex than that. The fact that our imaginary tribe lacks certain 'words' is not enough to explain the difference.

Nor is my experience of Mars necessarily 'deluded' just because it's fairly certain the Newtonian mechanics is wrong. If I look at Mars from the point of view of General Relavity, I may experience things which I would have been blind to from the point of view of Newtonian mechanics. But indeed, and in spite of its elegance and accuracy, most physicists think General Relativity must be wrong, as well.

Now I'm kind of getting off the point, but I was thinking numbers, integers in particular (and less so real numbers) are more fundamentally connected to the word. In particular for the way human beings learn them, but also think of the definition of counting we have in mathematics. My daughter first learned to count, like a rythmic chant, to 10 or so. Soon after, and with some effort. she could match the rythmic chant to a collection of objects and count them, although she often lost focus and made mistakes. Now, years later, if you put 3 or 4 or 5 objects in her vision, she will almost immediatley recognize how many are there, and that 3 things plus 2 more things makes 5 things (at first she had to rythmically chant or count fingers to add). At any rate, this seems interesting to me, but it's kind of beside the point, since my point was that the way we experience the world depends on the concepts and theories we have, which in turn depends, in part, on the culture we belong to. And I agree, I think, with vivalargo when he seems to be saying that if you begin to treat your particular theoretical construct as the get-all end-all of eveything, then you've stepped outside the learning process.

Holy moly, that was a wind-bag of an answer (but kind of interesting, at least for me) and I need to get work NOW.

by the way I put "anthropologist counting Amazon Brazil New scientist" into google and got like 90,000 hits. The tribe is the called th Piraha. Try googling and read away. In fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%C3%A3_people

vivalargo

Sep 1, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #82 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:

This question seems to simply be "is determinism true". My answer is "I don't know", and moreover it isn't particularly important for answering important questions in philosophy of mind. (Cf. what I was saying earlier about the usually unimportant consequences of replacing a psuedo-random number generator with a real indeterministic random number generator.)

Now that is the most remarkable and to me ridiculous statement in this whole thread--despite you bringing up some fantastic points elsewhere.

It's interesting to approach this from the psychological perspective. This statement, and others like it, come from the "It is so because I say it is so," or "the theory of mind according to me and my friends." As though the only meaningful thought going on per the study of mind is in the budding field of AI. Aslo, as Yanqui pointed out, attempts to write off all other inquiries are basically rants and efforts to shift authority to one camp--AI.

Let's look at the most outrageous of the statements above--that determinism isn't important in the philosophy of mind. What is really being said here is that determinins isn't important in computer programming, which itself is debatable.

I wish I had time to dig into this, but the question of determinism isn't going to go away because a few programmers say it should or try and write it off as a needless non-question (to them this may be true).

JL

fracture

Sep 1, 2006, 5:38 PM
Post #83 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Well, for one thing it's obviously not serial hardware. But I think you're trying to make a broader assertion than that---namely that the actions of a brain can't even be simulated by a serial Turing machine, because it is fundamentally not describable as information processing or computation?

I don't know what 'serial' hardware is, but my point was not that some actions of the brain cannot be simulated by a Turing machine (I know what a Turing machine is - I could even give a precise definition and maybe prove theorems about them- but I have no idea what a 'serial' Turing machine is).

Sorry; "serial" means all the operations carried out by the machine are executed in a linear sequence. A real Turing Machine (if one were built) is inherently serial, but the brain is inherently parallel.

(A serial machine can be used to simulate parallel computation, though.)

In reply to:
My point is that, even in mathematics, which is one of the most precisely logical disciplines there is, carrying out algorithms seems to be a very small, perhaps even rather unimportant part of the thought process that goes on. This is an 'observation' I am making from having worked in the field for more than 20 years.

That's probably quite true; but remember, humans are not really very self-aware. Introspection is an inherently flawed (non-scientific) way to try to learn things about how you think, or even about consciousness and self. It's no accident that introspection leads some people to declare consciousness is "continuous", while leading other people to claim the exact opposite.

Daniel Dennett describes the method of "third-person phenomonology" as "heterophenomonology", and really, it's nothing new. As he puts it, he is simply "urging that prevailing methodology of scientific investigation on human consciousness is not only sound, but readily extendable in non-revolutionary ways to incorporate all the purported exotica and hard cases of human subjectivity. I want to put the burden of proof on those who insist that third-person science is incapable of grasping the nettle of consciousness." (You can read a brief description of this online at Who's on First? Heterophenomenology Explained.).

In reply to:
Ask any working research mathematician how they think about and solve problems, and hardly a single one of them will say they work from algorithms, except perhaps in a very few special cases.

Most, if they're honest, probably will say "I dunno". Ask a chess genius how they find the good moves---they're completely unaware of how.

In reply to:
What I am saying is it seems to me to what I'm calling 'creativity' involves a different level of thinking and I don't see any reason to doubt that. Maybe you can give me one?

Well, depends what you mean by "a different level of thinking". Here's the best I can do to plant seeds of doubt: if you cannot articulate quite clearly what makes it different, and how it would possibly work, just maybe it's not really any different (in a fundamental way) despite appearances. The other seed is what I mentioned earlier: don't give too much trust to how things "seem" to you.

In reply to:
In reply to:
That's true. But I don't know very many math guys who think theorem proving doesn't require creativity....

There's no doubt that the way human beings discover proofs seems remarkably creative. Downright amazing. Even in the simplest things they sometimes see remarkable connections. How does that happen? I would love to know. Do you know the story/legend about Gauss as a child and the sum of all integers to 100? If you don't, ask me, because it's a beautiful illustration of this.

A cool story; but it is worth mentioning that an (unconscious) digital machine wouldn't have any trouble quickly summing the integers using a brute force method.... Gauss's method more accurately demonstrates a limitation of our consiousness, not a feature---we simply didn't evolve to do massive number-crunching consciously.

In reply to:
In reply to:
I recently read about a tribe in the Amazon that had a culture with absolutely no concept of number.

In reply to:
According to Steven Pinker, despite (many) historical claims of the above sort by deluded anthropologists, all languages have words for numbers. (At the least, for "one", "two", and "more than two".)

Anyway, what's your source for that? I'd like to look into it.

Anthropolists are deluded, but Steven Pinker isn't? Hmmmm....,

They certainly have been. Margaret Mead described Samoa as some sort of free sex, jealousy-free utopia, people have claimed Eskimos have an unusually large number of words for "snow" (The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax), Whorf claimed that the Hopi had "no general notion" of time. All of these claims turned out false.

In reply to:
It's kind of ironic the attitude about anthropologists. If their experiences run counter some 'theory' about way people think, then those experiences must be delusions.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that people make mistakes, and anthropology is no exception. It just seems so cool to believe that Hopi don't think about time the way we do, or to think that some tribe in location X doesn't have words for numbers---this is probably why it's so tempting. But science doesn't operate based merely on what seems cool.

In reply to:
If I look at the sky, see the planet Mars and know that it's whirling anout the sun in (roughly) an elliptical orbit that can be mathematical deduced, via calculus, from Newton's simple law of gravity, is my 'experience' of what I see, different, in some fundamental way, from the 'experience' of people of, say, in some remote indigenous tribe that look up and see points of light that mean .... (fill in the blank).

I'd say "no", but it's probably mostly a semantic issue over "fundamentally".

In reply to:
by the way I put "anthropologist counting Amazon Brazil New scientist" into google and got like 90,000 hits. The tribe is the called th Piraha. Try googling and read away. In fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%C3%A3_people

Nice. This is actually a perfect example. More googling takes me here, where the actual findings are discussed a little: they do in fact have words for "one", "two", and "many".

Don't trust everything you read. This article even claims that they "... have no history, no descriptive words and no subordinate clauses." Hah!

:)

fracture

Sep 1, 2006, 6:07 PM
Post #84 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Now that is the most remarkable and to me ridiculous statement in this whole thread--despite you bringing up some fantastic points elsewhere.

Perhaps, but of course it's not my idea, anyway. (I'd suggest reading Owen Flanagan or Daniel Dennett if you want a good exposition of the position.)

To quote Flanagan: "The reason that framing the problem in terms of free will and determinism is a bad idea is that neither concept adequately points to something that is credibly at stake. The problem, assuming there is one, is with the alleged ubiquity of causation, be it deterministic or indeterministic."

The deal is that even in a purely deterministic universe (and we don't know whether this describes our universe), it is possible for events not to have causes (I linked to a paper a few pages back if you are interested in reading arguments on this). It is also possible for things to be possible (determinism is not the same as fatalism or actualism). And for that matter it is also possible for things to be extremely difficult or computationally impossible to predict.

vivalargo

Sep 1, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #85 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To quote Flanagan: "The reason that framing the problem in terms of free will and determinism is a bad idea is that neither concept adequately points to something that is credibly at stake. The problem, assuming there is one, is with the alleged ubiquity of causation, be it deterministic or indeterministic."

I wouldn't go so far as to say we are "framing' the problem in terms of free will and determinism, only that these are themes that won't go away in the investigation. The crucial point here is indeed causation, and what you really mean by it. The challenge here--and it is a problem--is that if you start with a first event like the Big Bang, it's logical (but not necessarily true) that following events will dribble out in a linear sequence--A follows B which lead to C et al. IOWs, the flux of matter will have this effect on that event and the sequence can be tracked in a linear fashion. If B follows C which leads to A, then the whole notion of "first" event goes out the window since sequencing in not merely random (which is a non answer or solution), but seemingly unrelated to a temporal progression.

The idea tha the future affects the present starts to take some traction in this paradigm.

Very interesting stuff, but we need to focus on the interface between the virtual world Flannagan is talking about and the actual lived world we exist within. There is a mutual feedback loop between the two that is very exciting and interesting to ponder.

JL

yanqui

Sep 1, 2006, 7:45 PM
Post #86 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only time for a couple of things. Maybe I'll look back again on Monday.

In reply to:
Most, if they're honest, probably will say "I dunno".

OK, I'll admit it. How about you?

In reply to:
Well, depends what you mean by "a different level of thinking". Here's the best I can do to plant seeds of doubt: if you cannot articulate quite clearly what makes it different, and how it would possibly work, just maybe it's not really any different (in a fundamental way) despite appearances. The other seed is what I mentioned earlier: don't give too much trust to how things "seem" to you.

Wait a minute. What else can we trust? In everything we do we, if we want to take action, we are forced to trust what seems to be true. Unless you maybe want to yield to an authority, you cannot escape that. I mean, what else are gonna do: trust what seems to be false? Even in Math, people are reduced to this, or their work could not advance. The proof or counterexample only comes as an end result and even this can be mistaken, in spite of the fact it seems right.

But at any rate, I did give a sort of definition which included: selecting the 'interesting' conjectures, focusing on their proof or disproof, then building new, more advanced conjectures on the previous work, and in the end developing what we could recognize as an evolved theory. Whether or not this is fundamentally different from theorem proving or is just a matter of degree, I don't know. But it seems to be different. And why not?

In reply to:
A cool story; but it is worth mentioning that an (unconscious) digital machine wouldn't have any trouble quickly summing the integers using a brute force method.... Gauss's method more accurately demonstrates a limitation of our consiousness, not a feature---we simply didn't evolve to do massive number-crunching consciously.

Of course it's simple to find problems, even involving just a few hundred objects, where the 'brute force' method yields many more possibilities to check than atoms in the universe. Thus a binary supercomputer could not possibly check the answer by massive number crunching. And yet human beings have sometimes found simple and elegant solutions. My point though, was not to show human beings were 'superior' to computers in the way they think. I'm not trying to repeat John Henry's mistake:

John Henry was hammering on the right side,
The big steam drill on the left,
Before that steam drill could beat him down,
He hammered his fool self to death.

I'm saying that it seems like computers operate differently from the kind of thinking that mathematicians usually do. And of course, as I mentioned above, any reasonable human being must base their actions on what seems to be true. What else is there? The Bible? Steven Pinkerton?

OK, let me put it this way. In practical terms. Computers are great at executing algorithms. Big deal. Too bad I can't find any use for them when I gotta do the kind thinking I gotta do when I do mathematics. In fact, the most useful features of my computer for my mathematical work have been: word processing, e-mail and online access to mathematical journals. Except for that, my computer hasn't helped me one iota. Yet I get the feeling that you're insisting that they show me how I think when I do mathematics. I'm saying I'm less than convinced.

In reply to:
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that people make mistakes, and anthropology is no exception. It just seems so cool to believe that Hopi don't think about time the way we do, or to think that some tribe in location X doesn't have words for numbers---this is probably why it's so tempting. But science doesn't operate based merely on what seems cool.

Actually, I don't to even have to go to anthropology to find examples of people who lack basic concepts. I just have to look at the incoming freshman in the university. Maybe with all this expertise on the human mind and how it works, you AI guys can give us something like a practical guide to programming college freshman. Cause I can tell you, for the most part, the high schools just ain't working.

fracture

Sep 1, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #87 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Only time for a couple of things. Maybe I'll look back again on Monday.

In reply to:
Most, if they're honest, probably will say "I dunno".

OK, I'll admit it. How about you?

Of course.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Wait a minute. What else can we trust? In everything we do we, if we want to take action, we are forced to trust what seems to be true. Unless you maybe want to yield to an authority, you cannot escape that. I mean, what else are gonna do: trust what seems to be false?

No; the idea is that you trust that what people report about their subjective experience is really what they believe that experience to be. That doesn't mean they're right.

A good example is the much-publicized (and debated) experiment done by Benjamin Libet, where subjects were found to have a 300 millisecond "gap" between when their brains seem to begin initiatiation of certain actions and they report having decided to undertake the action. Some have even gone so far as to argue that this proves free will and consciousness are simple myths (hah), because "you" only learn about the decision after it's been made---but a better interpretation is that the subjects are fallible and their reports are not necessarily accurate, except insofar as they report how things seem to be. Basically, it actually just takes a certain amount of time for "news" of the decision to reach the part of the brain that can report it to the experimenter.

In reply to:
Of course it's simple to find problems, even involving just a few hundred objects, where the 'brute force' method yields many more possibilities to check than atoms in the universe. Thus a binary supercomputer could not possibly check the answer by massive number crunching.

Quite true. Chess is a perfect example. Of course, hueristic search methods have allowed computer chess players to compete with humans at a grandmaster level. However, the techniques are almost certainly different from what humans do (which probably involves more pattern recognition and things of that nature), which becomes pretty clear if you try to apply it to Go (which is many times more complex, so the searches don't work so well).

I'm sure you're aware of all this. My point is just that finding solutions in those types of spaces is inherently hueristic. If a computer can't brute force it, neither can we (we're a lot slower for that type of thing), and whatever it is we're doing has to be something, right? (Even if it is fundamentally impossible to program a computer to do it for some reason we don't yet understand.)

Or do you think humans are capable of something supernatural?

In reply to:
OK, let me put it this way. In practical terms. Computers are great at executing algorithms. Big deal. Too bad I can't find any use for them when I gotta do the kind thinking I gotta do when I do mathematics.

[edit: I don't know if by "use for them" you mean "computers" or "algorithms". I wrote the below response thinking "algorithms", before I realized the ambiguity.]

This is just the question itself, however. You don't know whether you find any use for them, because you don't know if the kind of thinking you do when you "do mathematics" is algorithmic or not.

But it is difficult (at least to me) to see what else it could be. (It's certainly possible that we'll discover something new and different, though, in the process of trying to learn how the brain works.)

In reply to:
Yet I get the feeling that you're insisting that they show me how I think when I do mathematics. I'm saying I'm less than convinced.

I'm not saying that, though.

Most likely, the nontheless algorithmic techniques used by humans when doing mathematics (or playing Go, or even when playing chess) are probably substatantially different from our current arsenal of techniques in AI. But that doesn't make them non-algorithmic, or mean that a computer couldn't do it if only we knew how to program it. John McCarthy has suggested that even the computers of 30 years ago were likely fast and powerful enough to do many things we would consider "intelligent", if only we knew the techniques to program them.

In reply to:
Actually, I don't to even have to go to anthropology to find examples of people who lack basic concepts. I just have to look at the incoming freshman in the university. Maybe with all this expertise on the human mind and how it works, you AI guys can give us something like a practical guide to programming college freshman. Cause I can tell you, for the most part, the high schools just ain't working.

Tried electroshock? ;)

yanqui

Sep 1, 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #88 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Or do you think humans are capable of something supernatural?

Me, supernatural? Hell, I used to want to pull the beard off the department store Santa Claus when my Mom used to take me to see him as a little kid.

Unnatural, maybe. But supernatural? I think not.

Now I have to put on my magic cape and fly home from work ...

vivalargo

Sep 1, 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #89 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No; the idea is that you trust that what people report about their subjective experience is really what they believe that experience to be. That doesn't mean they're right.

Are you sugewsting we need a machine to measure and tell us what is "right." And what's your take on objective experience? The raw witness state (once stabalized) is not subjective in the normal sense of the word because it has no bias or preference and is all inclusive.

But more interesting to me is how the virtual (thought) realms are capable of time traveling (remembering and imagining) which can pull the corporeal (present) backward and forward and change to whole fabric of our lives.

JL

mojorisin

Sep 1, 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #90 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a question, and I guess its to yanqui. Its seems like to much technology is causing alot of psychological distress such as anxiety and depression. Alot of kids I know(13 to 21) seem to have problems where the intellectual and developmental roads are suppose to meet. I mean I know alot of kids who have a hard time reading and cant even complete a sentence that can get on a computer and do whatever they need, stuff I cant even figure out (granted I'm know expert). But it just seems like they need something else to make the commitment and do the "thinking" for them. And cell phones as handy as they are, I know my daughter is a touch away when I'm worried about her, but don't you think because they have instant access to a decision by us(the parents) that that to may some how cause people to not have to think and account for anything?
I'm not downing the computer age or stereotyping anyone but it just seems the more we remove ourselves from solving everyday problems the more anxiety and depression seem to be an issue. I mean how many kids do you know who are ADD or just completely off the wall and on some kind of horse tranquilizer. Just a question and I don't mean to get off track but I couldn't think of a better bunch of people to ask.

fracture

Sep 1, 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #91 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Are you sugewsting we need a machine to measure and tell us what is "right." And what's your take on objective experience? The raw witness state (once stabalized) is not subjective in the normal sense of the word because it has no bias or preference and is all inclusive.

But more interesting to me is how the virtual (thought) realms are capable of time traveling (remembering and imagining) which can pull the corporeal (present) backward and forward and change to whole fabric of our lives.

I don't understand what any of that means. Maybe you could explain it using a concrete example? Like, how would you use...whatever it is you're saying above...to interpret the reportings of the subjects in Libet's experiment?

blondgecko

Sep 2, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #92 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I'm just having a "jaded" day, but these debates are really starting all feel the same to me (surprising, I know...). Somebody picks on something that they have decided (rightly or wrongly) that science cannot currently explain. They then make the incredible leap to saying that science will never be able to explain it, and then further proceed to assert their own explanation, with no further justification than "because I/someone important/God says it is so". Any dissent is met with accusations of closed-mindedness.

Partner tradman

Sep 4, 2006, 9:57 AM
Post #93 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tristan, what would be the point in debating at all if you're hoping to change some else's mind? That's impossible!

Discussion is only useful for checking whether or not you should be changing your own mind. And it's only when you stop checking your own beliefs that they become unreliable.

yanqui

Sep 4, 2006, 8:21 PM
Post #94 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just a question, and I guess its to yanqui. Its seems like to much technology is causing alot of psychological distress such as anxiety and depression. Alot of kids I know(13 to 21) seem to have problems where the intellectual and developmental roads are suppose to meet. I mean I know alot of kids who have a hard time reading and cant even complete a sentence that can get on a computer and do whatever they need, stuff I cant even figure out (granted I'm know expert). But it just seems like they need something else to make the commitment and do the "thinking" for them. And cell phones as handy as they are, I know my daughter is a touch away when I'm worried about her, but don't you think because they have instant access to a decision by us(the parents) that that to may some how cause people to not have to think and account for anything?
I'm not downing the computer age or stereotyping anyone but it just seems the more we remove ourselves from solving everyday problems the more anxiety and depression seem to be an issue. I mean how many kids do you know who are ADD or just completely off the wall and on some kind of horse tranquilizer. Just a question and I don't mean to get off track but I couldn't think of a better bunch of people to ask.

Gee, I wish I could give you a good answer to this, but I probably won't. I suppose there are lots of interesting books about alienation and technology, and I don't doubt that alienation is a real problem that exists, but I don't see how it can help our understanding much to frame things from the point of view that technology is 'the cause'. Don't get me wrong: I really think there are times when the concepts of 'cause' and 'effect' can help us understand with more clarity what's going on. I just don't think that's the case when it comes to understanding the kinds of problems you refer to about people relating to technology.

I guess I could recommend a couple of easy to read popular books, which can serve as a sort of starting point for thinking about other possibilities when it comes to our relationship to technology. One is 'Wind , Sand and Stars' by Saint-Exupéry, in particular when he talks about the pilot's relation to his flying machine. The other one is 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Pirsig. This second book has some more serious flaws, for example in Pirsig's interpretation of Plato, however I think it makes some interesting points about experience and the way people can relate to technology. Sorry if that doesn't help.

By the way tradman ....

GREAT post

blondgecko

Sep 4, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #95 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Tristan, what would be the point in debating at all if you're hoping to change some else's mind? That's impossible!

Discussion is only useful for checking whether or not you should be changing your own mind. And it's only when you stop checking your own beliefs that they become unreliable.

Believe me, I realised long ago that you are utterly impervious to logic and evidence. :wink:

But more to the point, while a person unrepentantly makes naked assertions, commits numerous logical fallacies in their arguments, and dismisses enormous swathes of evidence with a wave of their hand, they are never going to convince me of anything.

There is another reason to debate that you forgot about, which is the main reason I do this. There are many people who read these threads without ever posting. I hate imagining these people sitting at their computers, reading these ridiculous arguments, and nodding along.

If I help just one of these people to see the errors in this sort of reasoning, then I'll have done something worthwhile.

jred

Sep 4, 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #96 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On such threads I am one of the head nodders that Blondegecko speaks of. Although I may agree with certain people more than others, I still do enjoying reading the opinions/perspectives of those who differ from my own.

1 part intelligent scientific debate,
1 part religious un-wavering faith
add a dash of grade school insults
and a dash of good ol' stubbornness
heat slowly over many pages with conviction and voila!

You have just made a big bowl of.............well...shit.

The problem is, most of us here are already full of shit.

vivalargo

Sep 5, 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #97 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't understand what any of that means. Maybe you could explain it using a concrete example?

First, a thought is a representation of some thing or agency or phenonenon, etc. In open focus our minds can experience in a different way but thoughts, which involves our rational and evaluating mind wrapping around some thing, are always anchored in specific stuff (including imaginary stuff)--not to be confused with impressions. This gets tricky when you start considering thoughts about imaginary things, but you get the idea.

Now say you are driving to Yosemite to climb Half Dome. You have workd up a whole slew of mental thoughts and notions about the Dome, all representations drawn from imagination or reading or friends etc. The virtual Dome in your head is not the actual granite article itself, but the thoughts and desires you have, triggered by your vitrual or cognitive take on the Dome can greatly influence your present actions in terms of driving to climb the thing or turing around and going home. So a virtual and imagined future impacts your present subjective reality and many of your decisions. Likewise, events from the past greatly color your present life and future decisions.

The great breakthrough is when you can separate your mind from the past and the future and be totally present with what your life actually is, as opposed to a conditioned or virtual representation of it, or an accreation of associations you normally bring to it. Most everyone has these kinds of experiences sometimes, and they never forget them.

But I can't really dig into this because of work.

JL

fracture

Sep 6, 2006, 3:54 AM
Post #98 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't understand what any of that means. Maybe you could explain it using a concrete example?

First, a thought is a representation of some thing or agency or phenonenon, etc.
[..]
Now say you are driving to Yosemite to climb Half Dome. You have workd up a whole slew of mental thoughts and notions about the Dome, all representations drawn from imagination or reading or friends etc. The virtual Dome in your head is not the actual granite article itself, but the thoughts and desires you have, triggered by your vitrual or cognitive take on the Dome can greatly influence your present actions in terms of driving to climb the thing or turing around and going home.

This seems relatively non-controversial, but it depends on how extreme you mean it. There is certainly some separation between reality and your representation of reality (this is proven trivially by our ability to make sense of optical illusions), but it's important to keep in mind that your thoughts and interpretations of sense-data aren't completely disconnected from that reality (as it is sometimes fashionable to pretend).

Reality (and truth) is not something we are incapable of having knowledge of---far from it: we've evolved under pressures that lead us to a pretty high-quality intuitive (innate) ability to interpret several different aspects of reality (at least, when it comes to things roughly congruent with our size and time-scale). A complete disconnect between sense-data and truth is just an evolutionary impossibility.

Hopefully I'm just taking aim at straw here. (The pomobabble relativist reality/truth mind-disease is a pet peeve of mine.)

In reply to:
The great breakthrough is when you can separate your mind from the past and the future and be totally present with what your life actually is, as opposed to a conditioned or virtual representation of it, or an accreation of associations you normally bring to it.

This is probably either meaningless or just plain impossible, but moreover, even if you can somehow manage to shape it into something that makes coherent sense, it's probably far too mystic to really be defensible.

By the way, you didn't answer the question about Libet's experiment. Also, you still haven't told us what you meant by "wisdom traditions"; generally I'm having trouble figuring out what type of position you're trying to advance here. To me, it seems that you are basically accepting of neo-Darwinism (as long it stays away from the mind), but vaguely supernaturalistic, mysterian, and dualistic---am I mis-grokking?

vivalargo

Sep 6, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #99 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the things that make some points in your otherwise intelligent posts are sweeping generalizations per about what is and is not possible. This is a common pitfall that's been explored and pretty well defined in psychology for many years--you take your perspecive and experience, and universalize it to cover all of mankind and all of history. When you are not sure of something, how about asking a question, such as--how do you become present.

And if you want to find out about wisdom traditions, the first steps are always psychological, meaing you have to work through your own patterns and so forth, which is not another fandango in mentalizing but something else. If interestd, PM me and I'll mame a few suggestions. I'm not going to start debating this stuff at the almost worthless and superficial level of ideas and concepts.

Lastly, of course you perceptions are grounded in reality. But for most, said perceptions are experienced through a conditioned skrim of conditioned evaluations and so forth, meaning reality is not experienced neat, but with a whole lot of mixer.

JL

petsfed

Sep 6, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #100 of 123 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lastly, of course you perceptions are grounded in reality. But for most, said perceptions are experienced through a conditioned skrim of conditioned evaluations and so forth, meaning reality is not experienced neat, but with a whole lot of mixer.

JL

Usually too much mixer to be certain that your perceptions are reliable. Remember that while it seems like we are very well suited to the way we percieve reality, we can't discount the possibility that our brains have simply manufactured a logic system where that seems to be true. Our own external appearance could very well be a hallucination. Its not until you reduce your own beliefs (justified or not) down to the most basic, unjustifiable beliefs, do you really have an adequate understanding of how everything really seems to work. Its not until that happens that you can be really honest about your own beliefs.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook