Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Great Falls Adopt-A-Crag Sat, Sep 30, 2006
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

earthclimber

Sep 1, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #1 of 1 (1284 views)
Shortcut

Great Falls Adopt-A-Crag Sat, Sep 30, 2006  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: DC_Metro_-_North_Eastern: Great_Falls_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What: 2006 DC Area Adopt-A-Crag Events
Where: Carderock (9/9) and Great Falls (9/30)
When: 9am to 2pm, Check-in at 8:30am

Dear Climbers,
I would like to invite you to participate in the 2006 DC Area Adopt-A-Crag on:
Saturday, September 9th at Carderock Recreation Area, MD and/or on
Saturday, September 30th at Great Falls Park, VA.

For those of you who have never volunteered at Adopt-A-Crag, these events bring climbing community members together to preserve and maintain the national parks. The DC Area Adopt-A-Crag days along with other Adopt-A-Crag's around the country, make up the largest climbing volunteer effort in history. Photos from previous year's events can be found at: < http://www.dcmetroclimbing.com>

This years Adopt-A-Crag days come at a critical time when the National Park Service is seriously considering the impact of rock climbers and other recreational users on the environment. The National Park Service has discussed closure of climbing areas as a possible solution. In response to these threats of closures, rock climbers are focusing this year's volunteer work on projects that demonstrate how recreation and conservation can co-exist. For instance, working to maintain trails that run through unique habitats. The goal of this years projects are to demonstrate the dedication of rock climbers to ensuring that the natural resources of climbing as well as the biological diversity of the park are there for future generations of visitors.

Climbers from all over the area as well as many local climbing organizations volunteer at Adopt-A-Crag and it's a great way to give back to your local climbing areas. No experience is necessary, only a willingness to meet and work to ensure that these parks will be here tomorrow.

Please contact me if you who would like to participate in one or both of these Adopt-A-Crag events ( adoptacrag@dcmetroclimbing.com; 301-460-4327).

And if you still aren't convinced, here are ten reasons to volunteer at Adopt-A-Crag...
10. Free T-shirt.
9. Meet lots of interesting people (climbers, hikers, pool boys).
8. You can't remember the last time you did something other than climb.
7. More fun than having Saturday brunch.
6. Chance to win climbing schwag.
5. Good warm up for climbing in the afternoon.
4. Your mom would be proud.
3. Hone your off-road wheelbarrow skills.
2. Did I mention lots of free schwag?
1. Ensure your climbing future!

As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this event or want any information about the Access Fund.

Sincerely,
Thomson Ling, "Your local Access Fund Guy!"

Regional Coordinator for Maryland
The Access Fund
www.accessfund.org

DC Metro Climbing
www.dcmetroclimbing .com

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register