RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

kc2lvh

Sep 7, 2006, 2:27 PM
Post #1 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Haul Loops
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a new harness, and the feature I really want is a rated haul loop that can be used for aussie rapelling. I've checked out a bunch of harnesses, and most that mention the haul loop sometimes refer to it as "full strength" or just "rated." This is kind of vague for me. I know ABC makes a cheap harness with a haul loop that can be used (my school had those), but I want one that's padded with gear loops too. I've seen people clip right into the waistbelt, but I'd rather have a loop to clip into. Any suggestions on how much the haul loops should hold or specific harnesses I should check out?

dynoho

Sep 7, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Re: Haul Loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Metolius Safe-Tech harness has a rear haul loop rated to 16Kn which should be plenty for your application.

Partner hosh

Sep 7, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a question, but what would be the advantage of Aussie Rapin' anyway? Why not just go down the good ol' fashioned Yankee way?

hosh.

Partner euroford

Sep 7, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #4 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like an insanely stupid thing to do.

percious

Sep 7, 2006, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its good if you need to shoot at people on the way down.

-percious

redlegrangerone

Sep 7, 2006, 4:38 PM
Post #6 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aussie style is good for getting down quick. It is really important when you are taking fire. But, it is also the most dangerous way down. In the service, splat vs. gunshot was a good trade-off. In climbing, I do not think it is a good trade-off.

kc2lvh

Sep 7, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #7 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken to aussi rapelling for two reasons. First, I just love it - it gives me a rush. Second, we use it at camp to run down a rock face with torches to light a campfire. Also, the belay mechanism works just the same as with normal rapelling - you pull, you stop, so there's really not much difference as long as the haul loop is rated for weight - and as with normal rapelling there is someone on belay to pull tight in case you let go. We're also using 11mm chord - the army's combat rapell line is 3mm, and most people use 9-10mm - so it slows you down a bit.

thegroundhurts

Sep 7, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're on solid ground before you start the rappel, just put your harness on backwards, it'll even move the padding to the side you want it on.

shockabuku

Sep 7, 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #9 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! :x

(Mostly) Total nonsense.

mdavid01

Sep 7, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #10 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Second, we use it at camp to run down a rock face with torches to light a campfire."
are you serious?
I'm not sure if I should point out the obvious errors in judgement, encourage you to build larger torches or correct you by saying that the military does not ever rap off 3mm cord.

andypro

Sep 7, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #11 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The thinnest line the military uses for rappels is 5mm. And tha'ts an emergency last ditch resort sort of thing. 99.999999% of the time it's 11mm static (or maybe half inch? I never brought calipers out). And that 5mm line is only carried by the specialest of special forces...

Aussie rappeling is not always good for shooting. It's difficult to shoot accurately because your body is essentially unsupported. You generally really shouldn't be shooting people while rappelling anyways. It's a good way to get yourself kilt.

Aussie rappeling clipped to the haul loop hurts alot more than clipping it all the way through waist belt (to me anyways).

Just my thoughts.

jimdavis

Sep 7, 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #12 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The thinnest line the military uses for rappels is 5mm. And tha'ts an emergency last ditch resort sort of thing. 99.999999% of the time it's 11mm static (or maybe half inch? I never brought calipers out). And that 5mm line is only carried by the specialest of special forces...

Aussie rappeling is not always good for shooting. It's difficult to shoot accurately because your body is essentially unsupported. You generally really shouldn't be shooting people while rappelling anyways. It's a good way to get yourself kilt.

Aussie rappeling clipped to the haul loop hurts alot more than clipping it all the way through waist belt (to me anyways).

Just my thoughts.

Agreed. I rode a zipline clipped into my rear haul loop on my SafeTech harness and it hurt like a mofo.

Also, you'll rip out some of the directional stitching on the harness doing this. It's still full strength, but it's stitched in place anticipating a downward pull on your harness....the outward and up, pull of a rappel device back there will rip out some of the (non bartack) stitching.

If you want a rush that bad...go bite some tin foil.

It's fools like you that make climbing seem more dangerous than it already is to the un-informed public.

Jim

kc2lvh

Sep 8, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #13 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you take a fall into your harness (i.e. from the platform of a zipline onto the zipline) it's bound to hurt, even if you're hooked up in front. I have rappelled aussie before, and I didn't think it hurt at all, even in an ABC harness with no padding - the key is to just walk down, not jump. I didn't mean to make myself out to as a daredevil, but I and most of the people I've climbed with go aussie occationally for fun. They have harnesses with haul loops designed for rappelling, and I was interested in finding out if anyone has suggestions on harnesses. I didn't ask for judgements on my behavior.

iamthewallress

Sep 8, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #14 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you take a shorty sewn spectra runner (i.e. the middle part of a homemade quickdraw) and feed it around the waist band of any rated harness, you'll have yourself a rated haul loop.

jimdavis

Sep 8, 2006, 4:03 AM
Post #15 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you take a fall into your harness (i.e. from the platform of a zipline onto the zipline) it's bound to hurt, even if you're hooked up in front. I have rappelled aussie before, and I didn't think it hurt at all, even in an ABC harness with no padding - the key is to just walk down, not jump.

any way you do it, the waistbelt will be cutting into your stomach. there was no sudden fall...if you think about how much slack is built into ziplines...it become rather gentle whether you sit down into one of jump onto it.

deltav

Sep 8, 2006, 6:04 AM
Post #16 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you're on solid ground before you start the rappel, just put your harness on backwards, it'll even move the padding to the side you want it on.

Stupid advice :shock: WTF

iamthewallress

Sep 9, 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #17 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Why is it stupid?

fleshwater

Sep 9, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #18 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kinda hijacking the guys thread here folks... all he wanted was some info and opinions on the narnesses. Everyone climbs for fun despite the danger, if the dude wants to come down aussi style cause its fun then more power to him.

el_layclimber

Sep 9, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #19 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Why is it stupid?

I don't know either, but it probably involves kilonewtons.

In response to the OP's question: I all the harnesses you really like don't feature a haul loop, you can easily make one. A single or doubled loop of supertape or other skinny webbing tied in a water knot costs about 30 cents, and you won't even notice it's there.

coolklimber

Sep 9, 2006, 4:40 AM
Post #20 of 20 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302690983&bmUID=1157776830261

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook