Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jengurl

Sep 25, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #1 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Tashed Metabolisim
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not specifically climbing related, but was hoping someone here can help me out.

Years of borderline eating disorders (not eating, throwing up after meals, binge and purge, laxitives, ect) have left my metabolisim completely trashed. I really want to start eating helthy, but whenever I eat anywhere near a normal ammount of food, I gain weight. And trust me, I do not need more weight (BMI of 23) - in fact, I would like to lose some. But I eat around 1000-1200 calories a day to maintain my weight, even with climbing, kayaking, skiing and hockey. I'm afraid to eat less than this for fear of slowing my metabolisim down further and I'm pretty active... I fit as much exercise into my schedule as I can.

So I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how I can lose some weight without ruining my metabolisim further?

Thanks

redlegrangerone

Sep 25, 2006, 1:44 AM
Post #2 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trashed Metabolism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to hook up with a good nutritionist. 1000-1200 calories is not enough intake for even a sedentary person. The average person needs around 2000. More if you are being active or training.

joeforte

Sep 25, 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #3 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tashed Metabolisim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, running every morning at the ass crack of dawn. Yay. If that doesn't get you excited, then try this.

Find something active you love to do, maybe even take up a new hobby. Bike, scramble on rocks, hike, anything but sit on an excercise machine. You'll be more likely to do it often, and you'll enjoy it more. The more you enjoy it, the harder you will go. You're not going to get inspired on any machine, but if you fall in love with something, you'll find yourself getting up early and staying up late to do it, just cuz it's FUN. Don't kill yourself. Your metabolism will readjust slowly. Give it time. Enjoy this life!!!!

By the way, you're obviously aware of your weaknesses, and admiting to them is a very strong and humble thing to do. Congradulations on your decision to get healthy! I'd wait on the professional help. They'll just prescribe you something. Listen to your body, You seem like an inteligent person, your body will tell you what is good and what is bad.

lena_chita

Sep 25, 2006, 6:45 PM
Post #4 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second (third?) the nutritionist advice given your history.

I know someone who also claims that she is eating 1300-1400 calories and claims to be active and still can't seem to lose weight. I believe that she is 1) over-estimating her activity level 2) under-estimating her calorie intake 3) possibly has a thyroid problem. WHether that in any way applies to you I wouldn't know...

I don't think you will get any solid advice by asking a quiestion like that online where people don't know you, and have no way of judging how accurate your self-assessment is. But I can only say that there are serious health problems associatied with eating disporder history, so you sholud be even more careful than an average person when taking advice of strangers regarding your exercise plan and eating.

fracture

Sep 25, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #5 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We all know restricting caloric intake too excessively doesn't work in the long run (so anorexia is as bad of a weight loss strategy as the fad diets), but out of curiousity, do any of our resident nutrition gurus (i.e. Jay) know if vomiting after meals actually works? (As in, can you lose weight that way and keep it off in the long run, not as in is it "healthy" or will it damage your esophagus.)

It seems like it could be hard to accurately gauge caloric intake, but maybe if you're careful you could. (e.g. eat some, puke, brush teeth, and then eat the planned amount of calories for the meal :lol:)

jengurl

Sep 26, 2006, 3:46 AM
Post #6 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From expereince, voimiting does work, at least to lose weight, as do laxitives, as long as you do not binge as well. Binge and purge, in the long run, will result in weight gain.

And thanks for your suggestions

mixedphat

Sep 26, 2006, 1:04 PM
Post #7 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i second (4th now?) the idea of going to a proper nutritionist or even just your family doctor.

but i'll tag some advice on the end like everyone else:

along with the extra excise and actually monitoring the calories you consume i'd look at how you are consuming those calories. i'd try and fit in eating you daily quoter over a 6 separate small meals, this lets your body have a steady stream of energy to burn off and keeps your metabolism working all through the day, rather than just in bursts at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

good luck

mountain_racer

Sep 26, 2006, 1:26 PM
Post #8 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tashed Metabolism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jengurl,
Try having someone reevaluate your workouts. Be more focused on a steady increase in the amount of work you do in order to increase the number of calories you burn. Your body is probably in survival mode, saving itself from the starvation you have subjected it too in the past (not a condemnation just an observation). Try, in addition to a nutritionist, seeking out a trainer in order to better optimize the time you do have for exercise. Most of all try to focus on improving your performance in the activities you love, make the weight a secondary or tertiary goal!

keinangst

Sep 26, 2006, 1:33 PM
Post #9 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This study just came out this morning, made me think of this thread:

ST. LOUIS -- Women athletes watching their waistlines could be more susceptible to leg pain and stress fractures, a small study says.

A Saint Louis University study looked at 76 women college athletes and found that abnormal and low-calorie eating habits could put them at greater risk for injury.

"I wanted to understand if two people were undergoing the same exercise regime, why only one of them would have leg pain," said Dr. Mark Reinking, a physical therapy expert who led the study.

The old-school prescription for sore legs -- running less or wearing different shoes -- doesn't really alleviate the pain, Reinking said. Diet appears to be the single most important factor, he said.

The study found women with "disordered eating," including bulimia and anorexia, and those who take in too few calories because of dieting, experienced decreased estrogen production, a key factor in bone development.

tradmanclimbs

Sep 26, 2006, 2:14 PM
Post #10 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beeing Anni Physicaly screws up your heart and bones. It also mentaly messes up your head and generany makes you extremly dificult to get allong with. Don't be that bag of bones who still thinks she is fat. Its a horrible way to live your life and misrebal for you as well as the people who love you and care about you. You have to learn to love yourself and be comfortable with your body type. You have to eat otherwise you will turn into a pscyco. eat good healthy food and work out hard. You may never look like that bimbo on the cover of 17 mag but who freaking cares :roll: Its more important to be healthy and happy.. best of luck.

lena_chita

Sep 26, 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #11 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ST. LOUIS -- Women athletes watching their waistlines could be more susceptible to leg pain and stress fractures, a small study says.

Hmmm... I am not sure what's so novel about this 'small study', since "Female athlete triad" -- a combination of three conditions: disordered eating, amenorrhea, and osteoporosis/stress fractures -- has been recognized a long time ago and has been studied quite a bit, I think...

Yeah, playing sports too hard without providing adequate fuel for the body will do that to you. Why is that news again?

schveety

Sep 26, 2006, 3:09 PM
Post #12 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no psychologist, but it sounds to me like you may still be having some issues with assessing your body image. A BMI of 23 is considered in the normal body weight range (18.5-24.9), so I'm not sure why exactly you're trying to lose weight? Maintaining your weight is okay, but losing some?!? Cutting calories would definitely hurt you here because any less than 1200 would probably start to slow your metabolism, but I don't see anything wrong with eating only 1200 calories to maintain your weight.

I would definitely check out some nutrition books, and keep a normal exercise schedule. Don't be that person at the gym 3 times a day for 12 hours, there is more to life than your weight. Keep your BMI in the limit, your cholesterol down, and your heart and lungs in good shape and don't worry so much about being ultra-skinny.

tradmanclimbs

Sep 26, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #13 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shes trying to lose weight because she is Anni, its what they do.. somehow you have to move on. be healthy and eat..

mtn_eagle

Sep 26, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #14 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BMI measurements make little sense for athletes. It is a ratio of weight to height and those with a lot of muscle mass will have higher BMI's but not necessarily more fat.

To the original poster: decide whether you want to be an athlete or a leggy supermodel and then eat accordingly.

mtn_eagle

Sep 26, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #15 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BMI measurements make little sense for athletes. It is a ratio of weight to height and those with a lot of muscle mass will have higher BMI's but not necessarily more fat.

To the original poster: decide whether you want to be an athlete or a leggy supermodel and then eat accordingly.

tradmanclimbs

Sep 26, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #16 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

She is trying to lose weight because she is anni, its what they do. somehow she has to get over it and move on.. Don't eat crap junk food but eat good healthy meals and excersise...

mtn_eagle

Sep 26, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #17 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those who would like to calculate your basal energy expedditure, this is the Harris-Benedict Equation that we use in the ICU to figure out how much to feed people on tube feeds.

Men:

BEE (Kcal) = 66.5 + (13.75 x wt in kg) + (5.003 x ht in cm) - (6.775 x age in yrs)

Women:

BEE (Kcal) = 665.1 + (9.563 x wt in kg) + (1.85 x ht in cm) - (4.676 x age in yrs)

All the decimals are in the right places. The formulas are very different for men and women but have been validated. These are the numbers of Kcals someone needs to avoid catabolism, or the breaking down tissues to make up for Kcal debt (AKA starvation). For really sick people with life threatening infections we usually multiply the number of kcal by 1.2. For an athlete it all depends on how much you are exercising and there is no great formula to use.

If you were a 25 year old women who is 5ft 8in tall and have a BMI of 23 your BEE is about 1500 Kcal. If you were 5ft 6in with the same BMI and age it would be 1460 Kcal. If you are eating equal to or less than your BEE and are exercising regularly you are guaranteed TO BE HURTING YOURSELF.

keinangst

Sep 26, 2006, 4:10 PM
Post #18 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great formula, thanks!

2028 kcal...I need to eat more. I actually have a really hard time staying fully energized when out climbing. I'm thinking about switching from gatorade to Ultra Fuel or another similar carb-dense beverage. I just can't wolf down enough calorie-rich food to keep from feeling lethargic. I used to find that was an easy way to keep my cals up during 2+ hour workouts, maybe the OP should consider it.

sawtooth_ridge

Sep 26, 2006, 5:10 PM
Post #19 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An earlier post along this line:

***1000-1200 calories is not enough intake for even a sedentary person. The average person needs around 2000. More if you are being active or training.***

New research suggests that this is not the case at all. In one of the more recent "bio-dome" studies conducted in the US, participants were unable to produce (grow) enough food to achieve the usual 2000 calorie/day level assumed to be required for normal health. They only achieved about 800-1000 calories/day, and, after 2 or 3 months of eating this diet (which was composed of low-cal foods with very high nutritional content otherwise), they experienced a dramatic reduction in chronic health problems associated with diet. I'm talking blood pressure, cholesterol, and general "feeling" of health. Members of the study have largely chosen to remain on this diet after the study.

This event has lead to calorie-health studies with mice/rats that have affirmed the bio-dome results. Mice fed 1/2 the usual "accepted" caloric requirement (but still, very high-nutritional content food) live dramatically longer lives, statistically speaking. The observed and validated reason for this is that increased calories also equal increased consumption of free-radicals, and associated cell damage caused by free-radicals.

Most of us in the Western world feel "hungry" if not eating 2000+ calories/day, however this is in-part because our bodies have adjusted to processing this amount of food. Sugars especially, have a dramatic effect on the body's perceived need for sustenance. Most of the developed world is fully addicted to massive doses of sugar, and sugars account for a significant amount of the usual 2000 calorie/day "requirement". On the other hand, many people in the developing world are physically fit (athletically speaking), and could easily out-perform any of us in terms of athletic ability, day-in day-out, while consuming half the calories that we do. Of course, most of the developing world has poor health care and/or less than ideal nutitional content/calorie as well.

It should be noted that the bio-dome participants were not undergoing any sort of intense physical activities, other than possibly stretching. It should be common sense, that, if you routinely lift weights, climb, bike long distances, etc., you will accelerate the rate at which you use calories and must account for that.

The point I am trying to make is that "caloric requirement" is largely a subjective and arbitrary mark, based largely on societal eating habitats instead of on genuine physical need. Other new evidence suggests that our genetic heritage plays a large role in this as well. (For instance, if you are caucasion, it has been suggested that you are genetically adapted to large meals AND to heavy workloads........Genetic heritages originating in the tropics show the opposite trend......the tropical environment contributes to "unhealthier working conditions" and thus, slower metabolisms (ever tried to "work-out" in 110 degree heat and near 100% humidity over a lifetime? It is no myth that our genetics determine, in part, our caloric needs).

The real message is to choose foods that have very high nutritional content/calorie, and ignore foods that don't have these qualities. Sugar is most likely the worst "bad guy", in that none of us are truly adapted to refined sugar. If, you are physically active and remain hungry or lethargic after eating a quality diet, increase your intake of starches and proteins, and continue to avoid simple sugars..........

There's more than 2 cents, and I don't mean to over-simplify the discussion at all. However, it is very likely that a small woman does not need to eat more than 1200 calories per day to remain healthy. If she wants to build muscle mass, or exert herself dramatically, the caloric requirement changes......

lena_chita

Sep 26, 2006, 6:41 PM
Post #20 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sawtooth_ridge, I remember reading about it. There are quite a few studies out there about mice on on "starvation diet" and reduced risk of cancer associated with it, and there are couple high-profile cancer researchers who have been living on it for years. Supposedly people on a low-calorie diet get reduced body temperature, so there is less energy required to maintain it, and get some other benefits like reduced mutation rate and delayed aging...

But it is a dangerous thing to suggest to a recovering anorexic! B/c just the calorie-count are not the whole story.

I think all the calorie-count plans don't take into account the quality of food. It is one thing to estimate the amount of calories needed to maintain life by feeding someone through IV. I am sure the counts are accurate (LOL, they better be!). But is is not meant to be a long-term scenario. Surviving on IV glucose and being healthy while fed IV glucose are different things entirely...

The 1100-1200-some calories that I personally need to avoid catabolism according to the calculations from mtn_eagle could come from couple TBSP of olive oil and X teaspoons of sugar, and while that would provide the calories all right it obviously wouldn't cover the body needs in any way, even if you supplement that with 100% RDA of every vitamin that is out there and throw in some of those fiber supplements for good measure. :P

There is a great diet that I believe in: It is a no-food-label diet. As much as possible you eat things that don't come in bags and boxes labeled with portion sizes and calories. And get a bonus if those things are grown within 100 mile radius from where you live and eaten as soon as possible after picking ... LOL, double bonus if you grew them yourself organically and expended calories on weeding the garden. ( and No, I'm not a vegetarian -- I just have friends who keep chickens, sell me eggs, and occasionally even treat me to home-made goat cheese :lol: )

I actually have no idea how many calories I take in and how many I spend. Not the faintest idea. But as someone who weighs 105 lb at 5'2'' and has been there stably for about 18 years except for 3 pregnancies that pushed the weight up by 25 lb before it bounced right back, I'd say that my diet plan is working so far.

sawtooth_ridge

Sep 26, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #21 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quote referring to my earlier post....

***But it is a dangerous thing to suggest to a recovering anorexic!***

Absolutely correct and an important point. I probably should have been more sensitive to the situation of the original poster.......

I agree 100% with the "no-label" diet, although I certainly endorse labelling laws on pre-packaged foods. I also agree 100% that supplements are in no way a substitute for pesticide-free, fresh produce.....whether or not the fertilizers are organic is less important to your personal health and more relevant to whole-earth health. (i.e., fertilizing with ammonium nitrate won't hurt YOU via produce directly, but it does indirectly create by-products from the manufacturing process that aren't very friendly)

Another suggestion is to explore the world of ethically-collected wild foods. In the Pacific Northwest, for instance, huckleberry (or wild blueberry, depending on where you are) picking for personal use is a great way to get outdoors, have a wonderful weekend, and secure delicious berries for your whole year. Of course, if it's really good, there are likely commercial harvesters out there ruining it for everyone......Do your homework concerning local plants, and explore the benefits of harvesting them or growing them (if native stocks are impacted). It's a calorire-burning, cultural connection that most of us desperately need, but have lost.........

Weeding is excellent exercise, as is harvesting produce and cooking/canning it as well. If you live rurally, consider cutting your firewood manually, rather than with a chainsaw, etc. Kneading bread is much more physical than people realize, and there are psychological benefits to "doing things the hard way" as well.

In any case, "losing weight" is something that no one should ever consider. Rather, set goals such as "reduce body fat percentage while simultaneously increasing useful muscle mass" Lifting weights to "bulk up" will not give you benefits over the long term.......choosing a lifestyle that requires daily use of dense muscle tissue will.

Enough from me. I'm beginning to sound preachy and foolish, when I should be picking the last of my beans or sawing firewood (and getting buff!).

Take care, all!

jt512

Sep 26, 2006, 7:51 PM
Post #22 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
An earlier post along this line:

***1000-1200 calories is not enough intake for even a sedentary person. The average person needs around 2000. More if you are being active or training.***

New research suggests that this is not the case at all. In one of the more recent "bio-dome" studies conducted in the US, participants were unable to produce (grow) enough food to achieve the usual 2000 calorie/day level assumed to be required for normal health. They only achieved about 800-1000 calories/day, and, after 2 or 3 months of eating this diet (which was composed of low-cal foods with very high nutritional content otherwise), they experienced a dramatic reduction in chronic health problems associated with diet. I'm talking blood pressure, cholesterol, and general "feeling" of health. Members of the study have largely chosen to remain on this diet after the study.

This event has lead to calorie-health studies with mice/rats that have affirmed the bio-dome results. Mice fed 1/2 the usual "accepted" caloric requirement (but still, very high-nutritional content food) live dramatically longer lives, statistically speaking. The observed and validated reason for this is that increased calories also equal increased consumption of free-radicals, and associated cell damage caused by free-radicals.

Most of us in the Western world feel "hungry" if not eating 2000+ calories/day, however this is in-part because our bodies have adjusted to processing this amount of food. Sugars especially, have a dramatic effect on the body's perceived need for sustenance. Most of the developed world is fully addicted to massive doses of sugar, and sugars account for a significant amount of the usual 2000 calorie/day "requirement". On the other hand, many people in the developing world are physically fit (athletically speaking), and could easily out-perform any of us in terms of athletic ability, day-in day-out, while consuming half the calories that we do. Of course, most of the developing world has poor health care and/or less than ideal nutitional content/calorie as well.

It should be noted that the bio-dome participants were not undergoing any sort of intense physical activities, other than possibly stretching. It should be common sense, that, if you routinely lift weights, climb, bike long distances, etc., you will accelerate the rate at which you use calories and must account for that.

The point I am trying to make is that "caloric requirement" is largely a subjective and arbitrary mark, based largely on societal eating habitats instead of on genuine physical need. Other new evidence suggests that our genetic heritage plays a large role in this as well. (For instance, if you are caucasion, it has been suggested that you are genetically adapted to large meals AND to heavy workloads........Genetic heritages originating in the tropics show the opposite trend......the tropical environment contributes to "unhealthier working conditions" and thus, slower metabolisms (ever tried to "work-out" in 110 degree heat and near 100% humidity over a lifetime? It is no myth that our genetics determine, in part, our caloric needs).

The real message is to choose foods that have very high nutritional content/calorie, and ignore foods that don't have these qualities. Sugar is most likely the worst "bad guy", in that none of us are truly adapted to refined sugar. If, you are physically active and remain hungry or lethargic after eating a quality diet, increase your intake of starches and proteins, and continue to avoid simple sugars..........

There's more than 2 cents, and I don't mean to over-simplify the discussion at all. However, it is very likely that a small woman does not need to eat more than 1200 calories per day to remain healthy. If she wants to build muscle mass, or exert herself dramatically, the caloric requirement changes......

100% bullshit.

Jay

tradmanclimbs

Sep 26, 2006, 8:01 PM
Post #23 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thankyou JT!! The last thing that a sick person needs is bullshit theorys that support starvation :roll: when your system is so screwed up from starvation that you haven't menstrated in a year and you have a heart murmer from you flesh consuming itself you don't think too clearly and are easily influenced by anything that supports your twisted thought process.

fracture

Sep 26, 2006, 8:16 PM
Post #24 of 41 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
From expereince, voimiting does work, at least to lose weight, as do laxitives, as long as you do not binge as well. Binge and purge, in the long run, will result in weight gain.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not particularly interested in anecdotal information. You can find people who will attest, "from experience", to the effectivity of just about any diet-technique. False, but convincing-sounding information on this topic spreads extremely rapidly (see above), and personal experience can be deceptive.

Also, by the way, I don't mean to imply that post-meal vomiting is potentially a good choice as a weight-loss technique. But to me it is on precisely the same level as the Atkins Diet or the South Beach Diet or things of that sort. That is to say, it is something people widely do in order to lose weight, without a scientific understanding of whether it is effective or safe.

maldaly

Sep 26, 2006, 9:11 PM
Post #25 of 41 (3449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jengurl,
I feel your pain. Lots of good advice here...and some that's supect. I don't have much to add but I'll reiterrate some prior words. Eat only the highest quality foods you can get. Organically grown, close to the source and nutrient-dense. Don't eat anything white except for frech coconut. Lose the white flour, white sugar and white rice. There's nothing good in them and lots bad. Eat salmon. Use olive oil. Saute in grape seed oil. Don't use mayonaise...use hummus instead. I could go on and on but I think you get the drift. Best rule I've ever followed is to pay attention to what I put in my mouth. If I think about everything that passes my lips I usually get it right.
Good luck,
Mal

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook