RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

redox

Sep 9, 2002, 2:53 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

San Luis Aid Mentor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for someone in the San Luis Obispo area to mentor me in the skills of Aid Climbing. I have some gear, but no where near a full aid rack. Anyways, let me know. (this may be the wrong forum, but hey...)

addiroids

Sep 9, 2002, 3:47 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

San Luis Aid Mentor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the right forum for anything. Aid questions, beer questions, girl(s) questions. You should PM "Apollodorus". He lives in the area. Maybe with a little servant work, he will get off the couch and teach you some things. He just recently learned from the best, as most of us here did.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

jmlangford

Sep 9, 2002, 4:08 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ditto on Apollodorus. That dude even makes his own gear-check out the pics of his 37 foot cams!

joebuzz

Sep 9, 2002, 4:44 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Yea! Hey, I don't really live near you, but I do spend alot of time in Morro Bay, so if you want to get together just PM me. I'm always looking for new friends.
Buzz

bigwallgumbie

Sep 9, 2002, 5:17 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best person in the world to teach you to aid is yourself. Solo. No belayer to get bored, no mentor to make it easy. Just you and the cobra. Grabs some cams, steal your firends cams, solo a few cracks, take some whips and haul your backpack like a haulbag. You'll learn worlds of info. If you know enough to start aiding you know enough to teach yourself. f--- the guides and learn it own your own, you'll be a better climber beacuse of it.

joebuzz

Sep 9, 2002, 5:31 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just checking back. I do have to agree 100% with bigwallgumbie. Solo Aid is the way to go. I've done WAY MORE soloaiding at local crags than with partners or on actual walls, and have learned tons because of it.

[ This Message was edited by: joebuzz on 2002-09-08 22:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: joebuzz on 2002-09-08 22:33 ]

rickoldskool

Sep 10, 2002, 7:21 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redox, you have it right, seek assistance.
The problem with teaching yourself is, surviving your mistakes till you figure it all out. I know many self taught climbers including myself, but I might be dead by now if I hadn't, at some point, learned from other people.
Main thing; do you know how to use your gear correctly? Do you know rope systems and their limitationss? Intimate knowledge of anchors? Be sure you have EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE of your equipment before you decide to embark on a wall career. If your only as experienced as your profile says, the advice others in this forum are giving you may get you KILLED!. Seek some help, if soloing is you thing, do it after you have a couple walls under your belt.
bigwallgumbie,
encouraging someone to go out, totally ignorant, unexperienced, without help is really bad advice and irresponsible! Climbing kills people! This isn't a Fu*cking soccer game. It's high risk! More so if you solo. You might get away with it but the next guy might not.

[ This Message was edited by: rickoldskool on 2002-09-10 12:26 ]

climbingcowboy

Sep 11, 2002, 2:08 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i asked the same kind of question a while back, and the info that helped best since a I'm comfortable with placing gear while climbing and have a good amount was to aid a bunch of stuff on toprope until you get comfortable (as you can be) you can do this by your self with a gri-gri (with a backup), then get someone to belay you while you aid something easy like a 5.11 crack that takes cams and nuts really good basically C1, then as you move on up find some one to help with you harder stuff. belive me some of the stuff youll do toprope that holds will blow your mind espically hooking.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook