petsfed

Oct 12, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #51 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Re: Another existential moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is my favorite discussion to have.. the one where the "hard fact" scientist can't accept that religion has consistency and value, but will take great leaps of faith to accept scientific theories that may eventually be disproven.

I'm chuckling already.

I'm glad you've already found the answers. If you don't mind going away, or at least leaving your preconcieved notions at the door, I'd appreciate it.

blondgecko

Oct 12, 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #52 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
This is my favorite discussion to have.. the one where the "hard fact" scientist can't accept that religion has consistency and value, but will take great leaps of faith to accept scientific theories that may eventually be disproven.

I'm chuckling already.

I'm glad you've already found the answers. If you don't mind going away, or at least leaving your preconcieved notions at the door, I'd appreciate it.

D'ya think he'll last? I'm betting he's just a drive-by myself.

vivalargo

Oct 14, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #53 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blondy wrote: "We waste far too much time fixating on this alleged eternal truth and not enough questioning what it means to presume there is such a thing."

That's where you've lost your way there, Blondy--"presuming" that eveyone, since the beginning of time, who has encountered something beyond provisional truth, has merely been "presuming" it was more than provisional, when in fact, according to you, said truth was only the fruit of performance, or a rhetorical construct, or an idea that we cooked or dreamed up in our heads, or that tumbled out of our time-bound lives.

The million-dollah question, for those who truly are curious, is: How do I encounter same? If the curiosity is not there, but rather you'd just like to try and negate things, rather than explore what is currently outside your experience, what's the point in even discussing this stuff? There's no chance of movement or expansion since you're basically fixed in a perspective.

Bit I don't want to pollute that grat picture of that strip of stars with this dithering. That's were the adventure is--in that strip of stars.

JL

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Oct 15, 2006, 1:02 AM
Post #54 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Blondy wrote: "We waste far too much time fixating on this alleged eternal truth and not enough questioning what it means to presume there is such a thing."

That's where you've lost your way there, Blondy--"presuming" that eveyone, since the beginning of time, who has encountered something beyond provisional truth, has merely been "presuming" it was more than provisional, when in fact, according to you, said truth was only the fruit of performance, or a rhetorical construct, or an idea that we cooked or dreamed up in our heads, or that tumbled out of our time-bound lives.

Whoa there, cowboy... I used the word 'we,' and YOU took it to mean 'everyone since the beginning of time.' Seems like quite a leap, doesn't it?

All I said in that aforementioned quote was that it does seem a little off to operate based on a presumed concept without even questioning why we need to believe in it.

In reply to:
There's no chance of movement or expansion since you're basically fixed in a perspective.

You say 'perspective' like it's a limitation. If that's the case, I suppose we are quite limited creatures, because literally EVERYTHING is perspectival. Everything. Even a 'godlike' role, should such an entity exist, is still just another induplicable perspective. Now, it's obviously possible to explore new things and to actively change the way you look at what is outside of yourself, but everything you do is by means of your own unique perspective.

In reply to:
Bit I don't want to pollute that grat picture of that strip of stars with this dithering. That's were the adventure is--in that strip of stars.

Perhaps it is for you. If so, good luck with that.

vivalargo

Oct 15, 2006, 4:00 PM
Post #55 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blondy wrote: "All I said in that aforementioned quote was that it does seem a little off to operate based on a presumed concept without even questioning why we need to believe in it."

You're still missing it, Sweet Pea. What I'm talking about is not presumed and it's not a concept. Presumed means, in common usage, that one goes on an idea or concept that seems to be the case, not one that IS the case.
The "need to believe" thing assumes, falsely, that what I am referring to is a belief, which it is not. This is a notion that you will never grasp till experience shows you otherwise--before that experience, it's just an idea, a mental construct, a concept, something for the "weak" to believe in. And a concept is the map, not the territory. Also, perspective, beliefs et al can be experienced from a witness state that has no bias, meaning it's not a perspective in the normal sense of the word, anymore than that strand of stars is a perspective. Perspective enters into the scene once "I" enters the scene, when in fact the "I" is just another mental construct, entirely provisional.

Most of this comes down to what Aalmas called "essential qualities," and what the Suffis called objective reality (most people are only dialed into subjective or cognitive reality). If you only have experience of the later, that will be your world view, whereas everything and everyone is carrying out a "role" dependent on positioning in space and time. This gives us the idea that we concoct everything, including meaning. And this is so on one level. But not so on all levels.

JL

thelogictheorist

Oct 15, 2006, 8:49 PM
Post #56 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I read this board a whole lot more than I post. But worry not, I'm here to stay. :D

blondgecko

Oct 15, 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #57 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I read this board a whole lot more than I post. But worry not, I'm here to stay. :D

Cool. Now, as Petsfed said, drop some of those preconceptions and you might just be worth talking to.

petsfed

Oct 15, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #58 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Cool. Now, as Petsfed said, drop some of those preconceptions and you might just be worth talking to.

Totally.

On another note, I have to disagree with largo on this. I spend a lot of time deleting incidental perspective from my work when I do research. That is, I bias subtract, flat field, etc, all so I can get at what is actually hitting my reciever, not what the reciever is creating randomly. But there is still a strong point of view intrinsic to any observation. Sure, over a large enough scale, the universe does appear isotropic and homogenous, but you start to dial it in and look at local phenomena and you're stuck with a perspective. Humans evaluate based on comparison which is dependent on point of view. Remove a point of view and you don't have enough basis to even comment on relative existence, because neither nothing or something is defined under those terms.

Which is a fancy way of saying that you're being all hand-wavey, largo, but not really saying anything we can go out and experience, no matter how much we meditate on it.

And now back to the quantum mechanics homework...

Oct 16, 2006, 4:04 AM
Post #59 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Blondy wrote: "All I said in that aforementioned quote was that it does seem a little off to operate based on a presumed concept without even questioning why we need to believe in it."

You're still missing it, Sweet Pea. What I'm talking about is not presumed and it's not a concept. Presumed means, in common usage, that one goes on an idea or concept that seems to be the case, not one that IS the case.
The "need to believe" thing assumes, falsely, that what I am referring to is a belief, which it is not. This is a notion that you will never grasp till experience shows you otherwise--before that experience, it's just an idea, a mental construct, a concept, something for the "weak" to believe in. And a concept is the map, not the territory...

As usual, you're too busy being condescending in your responses towards me to address my actual objection. The idea that there is something all encompassing and greater than us is a concept. I don't even have to substantiate that argument here; all I have to do is sit back, wait for you to step on your high horse, and watch you continue to evade the actual points I'm making while making a total ass out of yourself. If you want to keep giving me attitude, go ahead. But it's obviously not getting us anywhere.

blondgecko

Oct 16, 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #60 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just coming back to this wonderful little bit:

In reply to:
Fortunately, thanks to a whole host of things which scientists have no way to understand or describe and which terrify them to the point of hatred and invective, I know that there are people and things in this world which mean infinitely more than all those countless stars and planets put together...

In reply to:
... I was actually talking about love, emotion and simple compassion.

I've been wracking my brain, and I can't for the life of me figure out where you got the impression that love, emotion and compassion are difficult for science to explain. As any behavioural biologist would tell you, similar behaviours, ranging from the rudimentary to the highly complex, can be seen in many animal societies. Very little mystery at all, let alone "terror-inducing".

Partner tradman

Oct 17, 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #61 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I thought you'd probably pretend not to get it.

I appreciate your predicament, though: it must be very difficult to maintain your "if-science-can't-explain-it-then-it-must-not-exist" posture when we're all surrounded every day by things for which there is no scientific explanation whatsoever.

:D

petsfed

Oct 17, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #62 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I appreciate your predicament, though: it must be very difficult to maintain your "if-science-can't-explain-it-then-it-must-not-exist" posture when we're all surrounded every day by things for which there is no scientific explanation whatsoever.

Oh no, his predicament is that he doesn't see the leap you're making from professionally empirical to privately, well, human. Once more Tradman, (lord knows I've said this about 20 times to you alone) science is not concerned with what is, it is concerned with the recreation of what is. So if emotions are actually caused by magical pixie dust that can't be brought into the lab, then it won't figure into the scientific explanation of it. The scientist might instead look at the chemical reactions in the brain that mimic the effect of the pixie dust.

That is not to say that scientists are inhuman, or don't believe in the non-material (although there are some that subscribe to that belief in their private life, its the exception, not the rule), just that it holds no professional interest for them.

If you want to talk about wierd, unexplainable things, look at the EPR paradox. In fact, look it up on wikipedia. There's clearly something non-physical and non-measurable going on, and outside of quantum mechanics, it looks like magic. But its still true.

But you were saying something about how if science can't explain something, it can't be there?

blondgecko

Oct 17, 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #63 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Oh no, his predicament is that he doesn't see the leap you're making from professionally empirical to privately, well, human. Once more Tradman, (lord knows I've said this about 20 times to you alone) science is not concerned with what is, it is concerned with the recreation of what is. So if emotions are actually caused by magical pixie dust that can't be brought into the lab, then it won't figure into the scientific explanation of it. The scientist might instead look at the chemical reactions in the brain that mimic the effect of the pixie dust.

That is not to say that scientists are inhuman, or don't believe in the non-material (although there are some that subscribe to that belief in their private life, its the exception, not the rule), just that it holds no professional interest for them.

If you want to talk about wierd, unexplainable things, look at the EPR paradox. In fact, look it up on wikipedia. There's clearly something non-physical and non-measurable going on, and outside of quantum mechanics, it looks like magic. But its still true.

But you were saying something about how if science can't explain something, it can't be there?

Thanks. What can you do but laugh?

Partner tradman

Oct 18, 2006, 8:54 AM
Post #64 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Quite right.

I'm laughing too. The difference is that I'm not pretending science has an invisible secret "explanation" which I can't and won't provide for the emotions which lead to me cracking up.

:lol:

blondgecko

Oct 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #65 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Quite right.

I'm laughing too. The difference is that I'm not pretending science has an invisible secret "explanation" which I can't and won't provide for the emotions which lead to me cracking up.

:?

There's no big secret. We evolved as a social species, dependent on social coherence for our survival. Without, as a bare minimum, the two "golden rules" of empathy and reciprocity, it is very difficult to imagine how a stable society could exist. Surprisingly, studies of social animals have, again and again, revealed exactly these rules implemented at an instinctive level.

You may not like it, but that's what the evidence seems to indicate - these "unexplainable, fear-and-hatred-inducing" phenomena are simply the instincts necessary for a social species to remain coherent.

Partner tradman

Oct 18, 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #66 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'm sure they are for you.

And just when I thought there were no romantics left in the world.

vivalargo

Oct 18, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #67 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I leave for a week and look what happens.

First, Blondy, it's my weakness to want to lampoon your style of taking in the Voice of God with those pronouncements of yours, which in my opinion are not based onthe solid stuff of direct experience, but are rather second-hand ideas cribbed from who knows what qauagmire of erudition. That there is something all encompassing -- as I've stressed all along -- is only a concept to someone who had not experienced same. To claim that everyone in the history of mankind who has had such experiences is delusional is also a concept--and a false one in my experience. But there's no need to hammer this one any longer. If you were interested in having those kinds of experiences, rather than just ideas or speculations, you'd ask how to go about that, and since youu haven't, I guess your're not. Fair enough. However to guess about the experiences of others, and to speculte on their verity, is a slipper slope indeed.

Someone wrote: Humans evaluate based on comparison which is dependent on point of view. Remove a point of view and you don't have enough basis to even comment on relative existence, because neither nothing or something is defined under those terms.

Which is a fancy way of saying that you're being all hand-wavey, largo, but not really saying anything we can go out and experience, no matter how much we meditate on it.

The whole point is to get past comparisons and experience the thing, or non-thing, directly, "neat," with no rose water or olive. There is a way to experience in this way, without having to "define' the experience in the usual way--which is normally contrasting the new with the old.

JL

blondgecko

Oct 18, 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #68 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I'm sure they are for you.

And just when I thought there were no romantics left in the world.

:wtf:

That's your argument?

Well, in the same spirit:

I know you are, but what am I?

:P

Oct 19, 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #69 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First, Blondy, it's my weakness to want to lampoon your style of taking in the Voice of God with those pronouncements of yours, which in my opinion are not based onthe solid stuff of direct experience, but are rather second-hand ideas cribbed from who knows what qauagmire of erudition.

Your ability to fallaciously invert and excrete my words is simply astounding. Also, the fact that you lack maturity in responding to my posts is your problem, not mine.

In reply to:
That there is something all encompassing -- as I've stressed all along -- is only a concept to someone who had not experienced same.

This statement can only hold true if you've had an all-encompassing experience (meaning, you've been omniscient) or you've experienced everything there is to experience. Largo, while it's lofty and narcissistic for you to assert that you've had a godlike experience, your claim certainly doesn't surprise me.

In reply to:
To claim that everyone in the history of mankind who has had such experiences is delusional is also a concept--and a false one in my experience.

I'm not making any claims regarding what everyone has or hasn't done. Give me a little credit for being contextual here.

In reply to:
But there's no need to hammer this one any longer. If you were interested in having those kinds of experiences, rather than just ideas or speculations, you'd ask how to go about that, and since youu haven't, I guess your're not.

Still bitter that you don't know an actual thing about me? If you were interested in arguing substantively and not personally, you'd stop throwing out useless and fallacious 'insights' about me in the hopes that one might stick. Since you haven't made that evolutionary leap, I guess your blockheadedness is still holding you back.

In reply to:
However, to guess about the experiences of others, and to speculate on their verity, is a slippery slope indeed.

That line, edited for emphasis, spelling and grammar, is golden. Seriously. In fact, I think you ought to read it out loud everytime you're about to post a response to me.

In reply to:
Someone wrote: Humans evaluate based on comparison which is dependent on point of view. Remove a point of view and you don't have enough basis to even comment on relative existence, because neither nothing or something is defined under those terms.

I think that quote provides an excellent slice of insight. If you read it closely, it's supporting perspectivalism, which is what I've been advocating all along. But seeing as you see exactly what you want to see, I won't hold my breath for you to learn something new.

In reply to:
The whole point is to get past comparisons and experience the thing, or non-thing, directly, "neat," with no rose water or olive. There is a way to experience in this way, without having to "define' the experience in the usual way--which is normally contrasting the new with the old.

Every experience is both unprecedented and repetitive, a combination of the new as well as everything you've ever experienced up until this moment. Hence, everything is perspectival.

Partner tradman

Oct 19, 2006, 8:13 AM
Post #70 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's your argument?

Not quite. Petsfed already made my argument for me, and you endorsed it: just because something isn't explainable by one system of rules doesn't mean it isn't true or doesn't exist.

If you only use one system of rules and dismiss all others, of course you'll end up foolishly trying to cram funny "explanations" of things it doesn't cover into it.

blondgecko

Oct 19, 2006, 8:28 AM
Post #71 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
That's your argument?

Not quite. Petsfed already made my argument for me, and you endorsed it: just because something isn't explainable by one system of rules doesn't mean it isn't true or doesn't exist.

If you only use one system of rules and dismiss all others, of course you'll end up foolishly trying to cram funny "explanations" of things it doesn't cover into it.

:roll:

Partner tradman

Oct 19, 2006, 8:50 AM
Post #72 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:P

petsfed

Oct 19, 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #73 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
That's your argument?

Which is funny because I used it as a counter-argument to your claim that scientists neither felt, nor understood, emotion. So please, justify yourself.

Partner tradman

Oct 19, 2006, 4:05 PM
Post #74 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Which is funny because I used it as a counter-argument to your claim that scientists neither felt, nor understood, emotion. So please, justify yourself.

What, back up a claim which I didn't make? Er, don't think I'll bother thanks.

No, scientists don't understand emotion. Nobody does. But I'm quite sure they experience it, or you wouldn't be so irritated by somebody questioning science's abilities.

vivalargo

Oct 19, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #75 of 84 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Still bitter that you don't know an actual thing about me? If you were interested in arguing substantively and not personally, you'd stop throwing out useless and fallacious 'insights' about me in the hopes that one might stick. Since you haven't made that evolutionary leap, I guess your blockheadedness is still holding you back."

Huh? For starters, I take about .0001 seconds to hack out responses on this and other threads so kindly forgive all my many typos. Nevertheless you are inverting things again, there, Blondy.

When a peson posits a particular take on things, it is a personal take, simple as that. You cannot wrench out the personal and suddenly arrive at a magical "substance" devoid of the personal, as though the two were separate. It is clear that you have a certain belief about how consciousness actually works and doesn't work, what it involves and what it doesn't involve. I use the word "belief" because even though out forth in your pronouncements the vibration that it is the plain and simple truth that is being set forth, your beliefs are based on your own experience, which leads you believe in perspectivism (I think), or something close to it. That's your experience, and more power to you. My only contention is that when you attempt to universalize that experience to cover all of mankind, meaning exeryone's experience MUST be the same as yours, your into the arena of beliefs and concepts, since you do not actually know that is the case. How would you know unless you've lived in other people's heads and had their experiences? When you judge everyone by your own experiences, your bound to be mistaken at least some of the time.

Lastly, consciousness is itself omnicient and non-local. "We" are not. The task is to step away from the "us" and move toward the global and away from the merely perspective. I suspect that no one every gets all the way there--out to that strand of stars--since the adventure is without end.

JL

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook