First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

justthemaid

Oct 20, 2006, 5:12 PM
Post #1 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

I need your quack cures.
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always been a super slow healer, and it seems to get worse as I get older. The average small cut or bruise is taking 4-6 weeks to heal, and due to some in-escapable work crap and climbing, I'm constantly covered in small wounds and bruises that look like hell, and simply won't heal.

Yes, I've seen a doctor.

Many many times.

Doctor says: "quit working" and "quit climbing".

These are NOT acceptable solutions.

I've tried dozens of over the counter and prescription oogaments and balms to try to speed up the healing process.

I take my vitamins, I try to eat healthy. Non-smoker. Non drinker.

I AM a heavy caffeine addict and take a LOT of Ibuprofen for chronic headaches. (doctor has suggested this might be part of the problem).

So give me your secret cures.

Grandma's secret recipe?

Witch doctor friend got a suggestion?

I'll try anything at this point.

Partner wideguy

Oct 20, 2006, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: I need your quack cures. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I AM a heavy caffeine addict and take a LOT of Ibuprofen for chronic headaches. (doctor has suggested this might be part of the problem).

Grandma's secret recipe?

I'll try anything at this point.

A guy I work with suffers from cluster headaches and he recently started using a nasal spray that is essentially Capsaicin 3X and Eucalypytus. He says the improvement is dramatic. Maybe explore that as a remedy for your headaches and see if reducing your "Vitamin I" intake helps the healing.

Also, and I've done this and am fully aware of how much it sucks, but you may want to consider laying off the caffeine. It's a headache trigger as well for some people.

bizarrodrinker

Oct 20, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #3 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vitamin E oil works wonders for small cuts and abrasions (especially worn finger tips). Available at CVS or most pharmacy stores.

reno

Oct 20, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #4 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, I've seen a doctor.

Many many times.

Has this doctor ever done any blood testing? There are numerous pathologies that can cause slow healing.

In reply to:

He (she) is probably correct. Get off the ibuprofen and reduce (don't eliminate... I wouldn't do that to you) the caffine.

What sort of headaches? True migraines, or something different?

Check your diet, look at your vitamin/mineral intake, boost the Vitamin C and Vitamin E intake, and take a long look at your workout routine (you are stretching, warming up, cooling down, and spacing your workouts properly, aren't you?)

wjca

Oct 20, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #5 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Windex.

deleted
Deleted

Oct 20, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #6 of 37 (599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:0262a4f86f="justthemaid"]I've always been a super slow healer, and it seems to get worse as I get older. The average small cut or bruise is taking 4-6 weeks to heal, and due to some in-escapable work crap and climbing, I'm constantly covered in small wounds and bruises that look like hell, and simply won't heal.

Yes, I've seen a doctor.

Many many times.

These are NOT acceptable solutions.

I've tried dozens of over the counter and prescription oogaments and balms to try to speed up the healing process.

I take my vitamins, I try to eat healthy. Non-smoker. Non drinker.

Grandma's secret recipe?

I'll try anything at this point.[/quote:0262a4f86f]

Try oxygen (ya know the medical grade type 8^) ). If ya know someone that has a O2 tank, set the flow meter to about 4lpm and breath on it for around 15 minutes and see if your headache goes away.

justthemaid

Oct 20, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #7 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Yes, I've seen a doctor.

Many many times.

Has this doctor ever done any blood testing? There are numerous pathologies that can cause slow healing.

Yes, I've had several blood tests. They have revealed absolutely nothing up until this year when I had a spike in my lead levels. (15 years in the stained glass industry- I've stopped doing it full time).

In reply to:

In reply to:
He (she) is probably correct. Get off the ibuprofen and reduce (don't eliminate... I wouldn't do that to you) the caffeine.

I try. I really do, but the Advil works wonders on the headaches. I cut the caffeine a bit. Only one soda a day, and replaced coffee with tea. I still drink too much tea.

In reply to:
What sort of headaches? True migraines, or something different?

Some migraines, but mostly sinus headaches and other mystery headaches . Another long story of lots of doctors and ineffective cures.

In reply to:
Check your diet, look at your vitamin/mineral intake, boost the Vitamin C and Vitamin E intake, and take a long look at your workout routine (you are stretching, warming up, cooling down, and spacing your workouts properly, aren't you?)

Doctor has had me on high levels of vitamin C,E and biotin for years. I'm actually in the best physical shape I've been in in years (thanks to climbing)- but climbing = more cuts and bruises.

Chronic tom boy syndrome I guess.

justthemaid

Oct 20, 2006, 6:49 PM
Post #8 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Windex.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

reno

Oct 20, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #9 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
He (she) is probably correct. Get off the ibuprofen and reduce (don't eliminate... I wouldn't do that to you) the caffeine.

I try. I really do, but the Advil works wonders on the headaches. I cut the caffeine a bit. Only one soda a day, and replaced coffee with tea. I still drink too much tea.

I can sympathize, as I've been a big fan of ibuprofen for headaches, muscle aches, and general pains.

It does have some inhibition on the healing process, though (the specific mechanism is pretty boring, unless you're into medicine or biochem) and might be a contributing factor.

I'm not prone to give out medical advice on the web... too many pitfalls for that... but maybe try other pain relievers? Many folks find Excedrin, Extra-Strength Tylenol, or other non-Ibuprofen meds to be equally effective, with fewer or less-significant side effects.

Your mileage might vary, of course, and you should be sure to talk about this with your doctor.

(On that note, have you considered getting a second opinion? Can't hurt.)

Partner climbinginchico

Oct 20, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #10 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first inclination was "diabetic" but if the blood tests were normal, it could be any number of pathologies like Reno says.

Ibuprofen wreaked havoc on my system when I was using a lot of it. Like, caused ulcers and I lost 30 lb. (Don't try to run competitively with a broken foot, and self-medicate with Ib, but that's another story entirely.) So it can definitely slow down the healing process. Excedrin is supposed to be very handy with headaches, but I rarely get headaches, and I've found that by relaxing and drinking more water I can usually get rid of them in 30 mins or so.

Do you drink enough water? Tea and coffee can both potentially dehydrate you...

kimmyt

Oct 20, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #11 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have heard that tea actually has higher caffeine levels than coffee. Not sure though, just something I remember hearing.

wjca

Oct 20, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #12 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My first inclination was "diabetic" but if the blood tests were normal, it could be any number of pathologies like Reno says.

Ibuprofen wreaked havoc on my system when I was using a lot of it. Like, caused ulcers and I lost 30 lb. (Don't try to run competitively with a broken foot, and self-medicate with Ib, but that's another story entirely.) So it can definitely slow down the healing process. Excedrin is supposed to be very handy with headaches, but I rarely get headaches, and I've found that by relaxing and drinking more water I can usually get rid of them in 30 mins or so.

Are you sure it was the IB that slowed the healing process or the fact that you were competitively running with a broken foot? My bet is the IB didn't play all that big of a role in it as did the actually running part. But I'm not a doctor.

Partner climbinginchico

Oct 20, 2006, 7:48 PM
Post #13 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Are you sure it was the IB that slowed the healing process or the fact that you were competitively running with a broken foot? My bet is the IB didn't play all that big of a role in it as did the actually running part. But I'm not a doctor.

What I said, unclearly, was that the Ib caused ulcers, and because of that I lost 30 lb. I know that I didn't heal because I was running on the foot, that was something I was aware of but chose to keep from my coaches, as it would have ended my season.

But, physiologically, Ib can definitely slow down the healing process in some cases. It can definitely reduce swelling, and fever, but also slow down healing in some instances. I didn't state that clearly, my bad.

grampacharlie

Oct 20, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #14 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I figured I throw my two cents in here to try to help out.

I think that laying off the caffeine would probably help with the headaches, as well as drinking more water. I knew a man who had chronic headaches for years, tried different doctors, nothing worked until one doc suggested that he was dehydrated and should stop coffee altogether (which will give you pretty bad headaches for about three days) and start drinking more water.

Cured.

Coffee has a lot of different toxins that affect people differently and to varying degrees. Some people can develop chronic diarrhea, headaches, urinary infections and irritations, mood swings, irritable bowel syndrome, loss of appetite, etc...
Tea is better, but try to break any caffeine addiction (cold turkey for three days) and allow time for you system to recoup.

Excedrin is great for headaches because it is caffeine based. I'd stay away from that.

When did the headaches start? how long do they last? is there a trigger you can identify/ time of day that they typically happen?

Anemia could cause slow healing as well, but you would usually have fatigue or other symptoms as well.. and you would hope that would show up in any blood work.

justthemaid

Oct 21, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #15 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I figured I throw my two cents in here to try to help out.

I think that laying off the caffeine would probably help with the headaches, as well as drinking more water. I knew a man who had chronic headaches for years, tried different doctors, nothing worked until one doc suggested that he was dehydrated and should stop coffee altogether (which will give you pretty bad headaches for about three days) and start drinking more water.

Cured.

Coffee has a lot of different toxins that affect people differently and to varying degrees. Some people can develop chronic diarrhea, headaches, urinary infections and irritations, mood swings, irritable bowel syndrome, loss of appetite, etc...
Tea is better, but try to break any caffeine addiction (cold turkey for three days) and allow time for you system to recoup

Waaa

You guys with your sensible advice (that I don't want to hear :D ).

Anyone who's tries to quit cigarettes or anything else knows it's REALLY hard.

I don't actually drink coffee any more.

I've gone cold turkey while vacationing (where I couldn't hurt anyone being a psycho-bitch coming down off the caffeine) but I was totally miserable and unable to keep it up once I went back to work. Quiting coffee and tea is easier than soda for some reason. De-caf sodas suck.

In reply to:
When did the headaches start? how long do they last? is there a trigger you can identify/ time of day that they typically happen?

My feeling is that I have a combination of sinus headaches from allergies and tension headaches from my work situation, with an occasional migraine thrown in for good measure.

I'll have to check if any of my allergy meds are Ibu- based as well.

I will on occasion take a month off the Ibu, but other pain meds just don't work as well, and I have to take higher doses.

I'm still waiting for someone's eye-of-newt recipe. :D

...and wjca- how often should I apply the Windex? :wink:

dr_feelgood

Oct 21, 2006, 3:01 PM
Post #16 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ever had a thyroid function test done? That could be related.

grampacharlie

Oct 21, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #17 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know what you mean about quitting smoking/coffee/caffeine. I'm currently quitting coffee and smoking. :oops: :evil:

The sinus induced headaches could be a result of a lot of things, but when I have sinus trouble, I tend to eat vast quantities of garlic, (fresh is best, and not overcooked) and vitamin C. Other things you might try are air filters at work, or eating honey. (supposedly helps cut down on the allergic reaction to the flowers use to make the honey)

Breathing exercises could help reduce stress or tension headaches, and I think I might have heard about some migraines being linked to a lack of I think it was either magnesium, or zinc.

Back to the slow healing... do you have poor circulation i.e. do your hands and feet get cold easily? Slow healing
could be due to diabetes, anemia, reduced cirulation, or just extremely low/high humidity. I grew up in a moderately humid environment and was always a quick healer... until I move to Colorado where the average humidity was very low, and lower in the coldness of winter. It took forever for things to heal if I didn't keep them covered, and I'm sure the elevation/ lack of oxygen delayed things even more.

justthemaid

Oct 21, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #18 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know what you mean about quitting smoking/coffee/caffeine. I'm currently quitting coffee and smoking. :oops: :evil:

Egads. My condolences to your family. :shock:

In reply to:
The sinus induced headaches could be a result of a lot of things, but when I have sinus trouble, I tend to eat vast quantities of garlic, (fresh is best, and not overcooked) and vitamin C. Other things you might try are air filters at work, or eating honey. (supposedly helps cut down on the allergic reaction to the flowers use to make the honey)

Already taking high doses of Vitamin C. My sinus problems do clear up any time I go anywhere else. I'm clearly allergic to LA county in general, but I'm reluctant to move. I've got jars and jars of our local honey (bee-keeper neighbor). Doesn't seem to make a difference. Got air filters at work, but they could be better. I'm shopping around.

In reply to:
Breathing exercises could help reduce stress or tension headaches, and I think I might have heard about some migraines being linked to a lack of I think it was either magnesium, or zinc.

In a perfect world I would just quit my job and be a full time dirtbag climber. My headaches magically disappear when I'm climbing. Unfortunately I can't climb every day. Gotta pay those pesky bills and crap.

In reply to:
Back to the slow healing... do you have poor circulation i.e. do your hands and feet get cold easily? Slow healing
could be due to diabetes, anemia, reduced circulation, or just extremely low/high humidity. I grew up in a moderately humid environment and was always a quick healer... until I move to Colorado where the average humidity was very low, and lower in the coldness of winter. It took forever for things to heal if I didn't keep them covered, and I'm sure the elevation/ lack of oxygen delayed things even more.

Been tested for diabetes (family history- yes. Personally- a no) and anemia. My circulation isn't so good. I get cold in the summertime. It is super-dry here. I've been a slow healer ever since I was kid. It's just way slower now. I dread ever getting a real injury. I've been lucky. Never broken a bone. (Knock on wood).

col

Oct 22, 2006, 1:13 PM
Post #19 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.......I take my vitamins, I try to eat healthy. Non-smoker. Non drinker...............

have you considered that you might be too healthy? maybe take up drinking and smoking?

reno

Oct 22, 2006, 1:26 PM
Post #20 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
.......I take my vitamins, I try to eat healthy. Non-smoker. Non drinker...............

have you considered that you might be too healthy? maybe take up drinking and smoking?

/Wipes coffee from computer monitor...

Reminds me of a favorite quip: "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, laying in a hospital, dying of nothing at all."

wjca

Oct 22, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #21 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I need your quack cures.

Robitussin. Or just 'tussin, if you live in the hood. Taken with the application of the Windex, and the two will cure anything from gall stones to cancer. You see, you have to treat the inside and outside.

thomasribiere

Oct 22, 2006, 6:31 PM
Post #22 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course Ibuprofen may really be a part of the problem. But you migth have a defect in your collagen matabolism, in your fibroblasts physiology, and so on; And I'm not sure there's some easy way to test that...

jt512

Oct 23, 2006, 3:09 AM
Post #23 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The ibuprofen might be contributing. Ibuprofen has anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant effects that will prolong bleeding and slow wound healing, if you take enough of it. I find that when I get up to about 1800 mg/day the tiniest cut bleeds like mad. Medical consensus also seems to be forming that ibuprofen retards healing of connective tissue. I had lateral epichondylitis for 2 years that finally started to improve within weeks after I stopped taking ibuprofen. Could be coincidence, of course, but other climbers report similar experiences.

Jay

colotopian

Oct 23, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #24 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, ease off the Vitamin-I and take aspirin. I guess Ear, Nose, and throat MD's recommend stopping unnecessary ibuprofen because of bleeding issues.

Use Neosporin (actually generic is less expensive) on cuts.

Streak every full moon of every month. Rub your body with slices of a freshly cut pumpkin and aloe vera before doing so. To warm-up after streaking: hop in a hot bathtub w/ beez-wax candles and bubbles from organic soap... maybe have a bottle of wine... add a big-hairy-Burmese mountain-dog when you are ready. After toweling off the dog, shake like that dog would in a living room or common room. You will be fixed. You're welcome. :D

jt512

Oct 23, 2006, 4:03 AM
Post #25 of 37 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yes, ease off the Vitamin-I and take aspirin.

Well, she asked for quack opinions, and she's getting them. Aspirin will have the same side effects as ibuprofen (only moreso); they are members of the same class of drugs.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook