blondgecko

Oct 20, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #1 of 179 (4493 views)
Shortcut

The End of Faith
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm about halfway through it now. My review so far:

Read this book. If you call yourself a christian, read this book. Mulsim? Read this book. Liberal? Read it. Conservative? Read it. Moderate? Read it.

Just... read this book.

chossmonkey

Oct 21, 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #2 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Re: The End of Faith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about the atheists?

Who's the author?

jt512

Oct 21, 2006, 3:32 AM
Post #3 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about the atheists?

Definitely read it. It's what you've always wanted to say, but were afraid of offending someone.

In reply to:
Who's the author?

Sam Harris.

-Jay

blondgecko

Oct 21, 2006, 6:09 AM
Post #4 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find it here.

I'll be reading his follow-up, Letter to a Christian Nation next.

madriver

Oct 21, 2006, 1:29 PM
Post #5 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

after you have read that...try this..

Fundementals of the Faith

by Peter Kreeft.....

boondock_saint

Oct 22, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #6 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, because the best way to fight Islamofacist fundamentalists is with our own homegrown Christian-ultraconservo-facist fundamentalists ...

ok, so I'm mostly kidding with that first statement. I didn't read the book so I really don't know what it says.

Anyway,
I think it's pretty pointless for the kind of [insert religion here] fundamentalist that we all fear to even bother with that book because whatever is thrown their way is usually disregarded as nonsense and a test of God.

I believe in evolution more than anything else, and I don't mean just the biological kind. The united states got the upper hand at the turn of the century because of how quickly they adapted to emerging technologies. Innovation will go on and the only difference is that it won't happen here if shut ourselves off from science and research. So we'll fall behind and let someone else be the most powerful nation for a while.

Same goes for global warming. I don't think we can destroy this planet, we just might kill ourselves. Eath will go on and the only question is, will we still be on it?

As for Sam's book, I personally don't like his purely atheist attitude. I agree with his reasons for not believing in God, but since there is no proof for God or the lack thereof, I'm not going to pretend that I know that answer.

jt512

Oct 23, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #7 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for Sam's book, I personally don't like his purely atheist attitude. I agree with his reasons for not believing in God, but since there is no proof for God or the lack thereof, I'm not going to pretend that I know that answer.

You don't have to "know" the answer. The burden of proof is not on you; it's on those who believe. The existence of God is not a 50/50 proposition. The addition of a god to the Universe is no more justifiable than the addition of Martians, flying green spaghetti monsters, or an infinite number of other unsupportable propositions. In this sesne, the probably of god approaches 0 (1 divided by an infinite number of unjustifiable propositions), and the probability of no god approaches 1. Sitting on the fence when the probabilities are essentially 0 vs. 1 is absurd.

Jay

Partner tradman

Oct 23, 2006, 8:50 AM
Post #8 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sitting on the fence when the probabilities are essentially 0 vs. 1 is absurd.

Probability of the universe forming spontaneously: almost zero.

Probability of life beginning without outside intervention: almost zero.

Can you see the problem here? It's simple, and the same problem you have with using probability to determine whether God exists: these questions have nothing to do with probability. They either happened/exist or they don't.

All you're doing is putting numbers in place of "I don't know" and using as an excuse not to consider any other possibilities. I feel sorry for you.

Partner tradman

Oct 23, 2006, 8:52 AM
Post #9 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and regarding the OP:

People who have faith: 97% of all human beings.

People who don't: a tiny fringe minority of wackos.

End of faith?

Let's not pretend you've got it on the ropes just yet, eh?

:lol:

blondgecko

Oct 23, 2006, 9:41 AM
Post #10 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

End of faith?

Still flogging that old untruth, huh? Seriously, this is starting to look like carelessness:

Non-religious, non-theistic worldwide: 8%.

Non-religious, Australia, 1996: 16.5%.

Non-religious, Asia, 1996: around 20% (or 700 million) :shock:

Non-religious, Canada, 2001: 28%

Non-religious, Europe, 1998: 14.8%

Non-religious, US, 1998: 9% (up from around 3% in 1950) - ZOMG, they're multiplying!!! :shock:

Non-religious, UK, 2002: 21%

All from adherents.com.

Remember, of course, that putting "atheist" on a multiple choice list of religions makes about as much sense as putting "reading" on a multiple choice list of sports. The Australian census got this right, at least: I picked "nonreligious".

blondgecko

Oct 23, 2006, 9:51 AM
Post #11 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

End of faith?

Oh, and by the way, I take it you haven't read the book?

Partner tradman

Oct 23, 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #12 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Still flogging that old untruth, huh?

Depends on your definitions. Unless you're totally atheistic and include no supernatural component of any kind in your worldview, you have faith of some sort. The number of people falling into that category is very, very small.

In reply to:

A book by an atheist about why faith is dangerous? Sounds startlingly original and ground-breaking, but no.

I have to read "Niggers Are Taking Over the World" by the Klu Klux Klan and "The Global Jew Conspiracy" by the Neo-Nazi Alliance first. They contain about the same level of bias but at least have the distinction of not hiding the fact that they're on a crusade.

blondgecko

Oct 23, 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #13 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Still flogging that old untruth, huh?

Depends on your definitions. Unless you're totally atheistic and include no supernatural component of any kind in your worldview, you have faith of some sort. The number of people falling into that category is very, very small.

Bullshit - and I just provided evidence to back up my position. Where's yours?

In reply to:

In reply to:

A book by an atheist about why faith is dangerous? Sounds startlingly original and ground-breaking, but no.

I have to read "Niggers Are Taking Over the World" by the Klu Klux Klan and "The Global Jew Conspiracy" by the Neo-Nazi Alliance first. They contain about the same level of bias but at least have the distinction of not hiding the fact that they're on a crusade.

:roll:

Typical inflammatory, prejudiced Tradman.

Partner tradman

Oct 23, 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #14 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Where's yours?

The same page you posted, and I was being generous. The notes further down the page on atheism say this:

"Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: This is a highly disparate group and not a single religion. Although atheists are a small subset of this grouping, this category is not synonymous with atheism. People who specify atheism as their religious preference actually make up less than one-half of one percent of the population in many countries where much large numbers claim no religious preference"

And goes on to state:

"In most countries only a tiny number of people (zero to a fraction of 1 percent) will answer "atheism" or "atheist" when asked an open-ended question about what their religious preference."

I decided to give atheism the benefit of the doubt and put in a large margin of error to avoid exactly this kind of pointless wrangling over figures. But, since you pushed the point, there you are: people without faith are a tiny, tiny fringe minority of wackos whose numbers are so limited as to be almost nonexistent.

In reply to:

Hmmm. You're plugging a book which is a 336 page attack on others' beliefs, and which actually says,"the very ideal of religious tolerance... is one of the principal forces driving us toward the abyss" - and you claim that I'm the one being inflammatory and prejudiced?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

blondgecko

Oct 23, 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #15 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Where's yours?

The same page you posted, and I was being generous. The notes further down the page on atheism say this:

"Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: This is a highly disparate group and not a single religion. Although atheists are a small subset of this grouping, this category is not synonymous with atheism. People who specify atheism as their religious preference actually make up less than one-half of one percent of the population in many countries where much large numbers claim no religious preference"

And goes on to state:

"In most countries only a tiny number of people (zero to a fraction of 1 percent) will answer "atheism" or "atheist" when asked an open-ended question about what their religious preference."

I decided to give atheism the benefit of the doubt and put in a large margin of error to avoid exactly this kind of pointless wrangling over figures. But, since you pushed the point, there you are: people without faith are a tiny, tiny fringe minority of wackos whose numbers are so limited as to be almost nonexistent.

You're deluding yourself.

And... "wackos"?

:roll: Please.
In reply to:
In reply to:

Hmmm. You're plugging a book which is a 336 page attack on others' beliefs, and which actually says,"the very ideal of religious tolerance... is one of the principal forces driving us toward the abyss" - and you claim that I'm the one being inflammatory and prejudiced?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

So, in your mind, questioning the rationality of somebody's beliefs is on a par with violent racism and anti-Semitism?

See, that frightens the crap out of me.

Partner tradman

Oct 23, 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #16 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And... "wackos"?

Well, well.

Looks like somebody likes to hand it out but can't take it in return.

In reply to:
So, in your mind, questioning the rationality of somebody's beliefs is on a par with violent racism and anti-Semitism?

No, but it's no more surprising to see anti-religious sentiment from an atheist these days than it is to see anti-semitism from a neo-nazi or racism from a klansman.

I think it's sad that guys like Dawkins and Harris have made "atheist" synonymous with "anti-religion". Atheism isn't necessarily about hatred, bigotry and intolerance, so it's unfortunate to see what I presume is a small minority even of that small minority drag its values down to that.

chossmonkey

Oct 23, 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #17 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Still flogging that old untruth, huh? Seriously, this is starting to look like carelessness:

Non-religious, non-theistic worldwide: 8%.

Non-religious, Australia, 1996: 16.5%.

Non-religious, Asia, 1996: around 20% (or 700 million) :shock:

Non-religious, Canada, 2001: 28%

Non-religious, Europe, 1998: 14.8%

Non-religious, US, 1998: 9% (up from around 3% in 1950) - ZOMG, they're multiplying!!! :shock:

Non-religious, UK, 2002: 21%

Its funny how it seems like 99% of them post here. :wink:

Just because someone is "non-religious" doesn't mean they are an atheist.

Partner tradman

Oct 23, 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #18 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just because someone is "non-religious" doesn't mean they are an atheist.

That's right, the notes on that same page say that the actual figure for atheists is between half a percent and zero.

boondock_saint

Oct 23, 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #19 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that when you put it all together the probability of God approaches 0. But regardless, I for once don't feel arrogant enough to say that I know this for certain.

And I'm not on the fence. I don't believe in God, but I'll hold off on running around trying to convert others cause why should I ultimately be right?? I pay the same courtesy to believers as I want them to do it to me.

robbovius

Oct 23, 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #20 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is the End of Faith tapered?

So your asshole doesn't slam shut!
;-)

blondgecko

Oct 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #21 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, perhaps a few definitions would be apropos here:

Atheist: literally, non-theist: one who does not believe in the existence of a god. Usually separated further into weak atheist: one who simply lacks belief (this often gets lumped together with agnostic: one who does not believe it is possible to know whether there is a god), and strong atheist: one who actively believes there is no god.

Prejudice: the formation of a belief prior to the gaining of evidence or knowledge.

Note, by this definition, weak atheism is the very antithesis of prejudice.

Personally, growing up I was fairly open-minded about the possibility of the Christian God - I simply saw no reason to believe given the piss-poor "evidence" I had up to that point. This made me, of course, a weak atheist (although if you asked me at the time, I would have called myself an agnostic).

That all changed when I read the Bible.

In reply to:
Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.

At the time, I'd never heard the above quote, but that's pretty much the effect it had on me. What I found was a hodgepodge collection of stories, a few fairly nice, many utterly barbaric, and some just plain infantile. More to the point, the God described throughout its pages, apart from being jealous, bloodthirsty and tyrannical, was self-contradictory in many, many ways, making him either utterly insane, or (more likely) non-existent. This was the point he went the way of all those other mythical creatures I read about growing up.

Prejudice? Hardly. Prejudice only applies if, like Tradman, you've never actually read what you're arguing against.

One last thing:

In reply to:
I think it's sad that guys like Dawkins and Harris have made "atheist" synonymous with "anti-religion". Atheism isn't necessarily about hatred, bigotry and intolerance, so it's unfortunate to see what I presume is a small minority even of that small minority drag its values down to that.

No matter how many times you throw around accusations such as these, it's not going to make them any more true.

chossmonkey

Oct 23, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #22 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That all changed when I read the Bible.

In reply to:
Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.

At the time, I'd never heard the above quote, but that's pretty much the effect it had on me. What I found was a hodgepodge collection of stories, a few fairly nice, many utterly barbaric, and some just plain infantile. More to the point, the God described throughout its pages, apart from being jealous, bloodthirsty and tyrannical, was self-contradictory in many, many ways, making him either utterly insane, or (more likely) non-existent. This was the point he went the way of all those other mythical creatures I read about growing up.

Religions represented by the Bible are only one slice of the religious pie.

Also keep in mind that the Bible has been translated many times. Ever play the game "telephone"? Add in a few different languages and see what you come up with. Add in some interpretation and before you know it you end up with something that hardly resembles what you started with.

Partner tradman

Oct 23, 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #23 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it's not going to make them any more true.

This is interesting. Are you going to tell us that you have no problem with religion? Would you like to try to convince us that Dawkins and Harris have no problem with religion?

Similarly, would you like to try to convince us that "The End of Faith" is not anti-religion? How about "The God delusion"?

Don't be coy, Tristan. You yourself have described - in your own last post, no less - religion and its content as "barbaric", "infantile", "bloodthirsty", "tyrannical" and "self-contradictory".

Are you seriously going to try to convince us that atheism as demonstrated by you, Harris and Dawkins, is not anti-religion?

(This should be good)

:D

vivalargo

Oct 23, 2006, 4:38 PM
Post #24 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He wrote: "Atheist: literally, non-theist: one who does not believe in the existence of a god. Usually separated further into weak atheist: one who simply lacks belief (this often gets lumped together with agnostic: one who does not believe it is possible to know whether there is a god), and strong atheist: one who actively believes there is no god."

Interesting to note that, like many religious folk, an atheist (as defined above) is belief-driven, not knowledge-driven. In fact, atheism (as has been pointed out by many) is just another belief system--i.e, based on his ideas and direct experiences, an atheist simply has not accumulated the data to know (not believe) otherwise.

The mistake sosme make is to assert--as if they actually know--that "otherwise' does not exist. That's basing all experience of all mankind on your own intelligence, experience, and beliefs, which is arrogence with no limit.

JL

fracture

Oct 23, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #25 of 179 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He wrote: "Atheist: literally, non-theist: one who does not believe in the existence of a god. Usually separated further into weak atheist: one who simply lacks belief (this often gets lumped together with agnostic: one who does not believe it is possible to know whether there is a god), and strong atheist: one who actively believes there is no god."

Interesting to note that, like many religious folk, an atheist (as defined above) is believe-driven, no knowledge-driven.

"Knowledge" is just a term for beliefs that are true.

... And since the truth of various types of religious propositions is exactly the question, what are you talking about?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook