Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Seneca in December
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner mountaindoc

Nov 18, 2006, 3:49 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1628 views)
Shortcut

Seneca in December  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Seneca_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all, I'm taking a 2 week road trip and I'll be swinging through the area the first week of December. What kind of weather can I expect and is climbing a possibility? If not, is there any good boarding in the area? Thanks.

Christopher

braaaaaaaadley

Nov 18, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountaindoc] Seneca in December [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never been to Seneca in December, but I would guess as with most all weather in WVA, it will propably either be hit or miss. Most likely you will propably be facing temps in the area of upper 30's during the day and mid to low 20's at night... that is if Seneca's anything like the resorts 30 or so minutes north. As for snowsports fun there are several resorts in the area. I would reccomend Canaan Valley which is about 30 or so minutes away. They get a lot of snow up there. And if your in the area I would also not miss a chance to stop by Whitegrass touring center, which is located nearby, for a quick XC ski or at least for some killer lunch(the resturant there is 100% organic, inexpensive and just awesome. There website is www.whitegrass.com and its a great place to spend an afternoon or a whole day (this is the nordic side of me talking; I don't work for them or anything). Anyways, I hope that helps.

(This post was edited by braaaaaaaadley on Nov 18, 2006, 5:08 AM)

charley

Nov 18, 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [braaaaaaaadley] Seneca in December [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be climbing there turkey weekend again. I feel blessed to be expecting highs around 50 and lows above 30. That is cold when the wind blows but doable. Last year it was forcast high of 50 two days and one day was nice because of no wind but the next day was three degrees warmer but felt much colder because of the wind. Plan on the wind. It could also be thirty something for the high and snowing.

nutstuffer

Nov 23, 2006, 9:46 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountaindoc] Seneca in December [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is doable. I've climbed every month of the year at Seneca. After xmas plan on climbing in full goretex shell. Climbing on east face is a must, blocks wind and gets the sun during the warmest part of the day. Unless you are hard core, or on a tight budget, ya need a cabin for the night. One more thing, the rock can be iced, in small patches, in the later months. This ice can be very thin and transparent, making in difficult to see, you have to learn to feel for it.

stagg54

Nov 23, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nutstuffer] Seneca in December [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I second nutstuffer. You can definitely climb in December, but you want to climb in the sun. That means start on the East Face in the morning and then migrate to the West in the afternoon. Camping at Snowbird is definitely an option if you have a warm bag. In the morning I suggest you just hit up the 4U for breakfast. Enjoy the viewWink and give the rock some time to warm up.

Climbing will probably be cold. bring some gloves and a belay jacket for belaying and be prepared for wind.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook