RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

ltj999

Nov 26, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #1 of 19 (1179 views)
Shortcut

stretching 5.10 galileo's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so i just bought a pair of galileo's. down sized them from a 13 to a 12, im more of a 12.75 shoe, but any way. right on my big toe knuckle it really kills, like to the point where i cant walk. when i was buying them at a store the perosn helping me said to downsize them to this point because they will loosten up a bit and feel much better. been climbing in them once and wearing them around the house as much as a i can as well as putting them in crappy wodden shoe things and stuffing the toe box with newspaper overnight to try to get them to loosten up. i think the have a bit..maby, but will they feel better over time or should i be looking for new shoes?

timm

Nov 26, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 19 (1174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ltj999] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This may sound crazy but I've had success with the following technique to break in shoes to fit your foot.

Put the shoes on and put your feet and your shoes into a tub of warm/hot watter. Let them get entirely soaked and then walk around the house with them until they start to dry (or until you can't stand it anymore). Having them wet seems to help them mold better to my foot.

Haven't done it with 5.10s (only La Sportivas). So, YMMV.

Cheers.

ltj999

Nov 26, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 19 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timm] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya ive been throwing that idea around. i feel as if i just didnt have that one hot spot on my big toe they would be perfect.

drumminmachine62

Nov 26, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #4 of 19 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the exact same thing happened when i bought these shoes, i climbed with them indoors for a couple sessions and they gave me nasty blisters in the same place theyre hurting you. But after i wore them outside, in july, and got them wet (sweating) they stretched out enough that they don't bother my toe knuckle.

nightlion

Nov 26, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #5 of 19 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Galileos are a synthetic shoe. They aren't going to stretch much at all. What they feel like now is probably what they will feel like next year. You might be able to get a slight stretch in them but it won't be much of a change.

sustainedclimber

Nov 26, 2006, 6:07 PM
Post #6 of 19 (1146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nightlion] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a pair of the galileos. I've owned them for a year and half and they have stetched VERY LITTLE. They are a synthetic upper with a bunch of Rand around the heel area. Neither of these materials stretch. See if you can exchange the shoes for a 12.5 if it exists before you do something drastic like soak them in water, making them non-returnable. For reference, I wear a 9.5 street shoe, and a 9.5 galileo and I've been very happy. Good luck.

-Josh

fearlessclimber

Nov 26, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #7 of 19 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ya i had the same problem, it was really tight on my left foot, but after about a month of wearing them they streched out a tiny bit and felt much better. its up to you at what you do at this point. if your not able to walk in them i would take them back go up a size, unless it will change your performance. just my thoughts

ltj999

Nov 27, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #8 of 19 (1086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fearlessclimber] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya i think im just gunna wear them around some more, and call ems tommro and ask if i can return them or what not. if not then im going to go with the shower method and see how it works out. it feels as if they are conforming somewhat, becuase now it doesnt kill instantly as soon as i put them on, it just hurts within a few minits of walking around and what not. i just dont want to go larger becuase i feel if i go larger my toes will not be curled and thus defeat the puropose of buying high-end power oriented shoes.

shimanilami

Nov 27, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #9 of 19 (1083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm on my second pair. Besides the very little bit of stretch they provide when I put them on each day, they do not stretch. They have not gotten bigger over time. (I weigh 205+, so if they won't stretch for me, they probably won't stretch for anyone.)

However, if my feet are just a bit sweaty, they seem to shift around to find a comfortable "sweet spot". So a warm-up climb is key. But if you've already spent some time in them and they still hurt, you need the next size up.

mushroomsamba

Nov 27, 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #10 of 19 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a friend of mine has the exact same problem. But then he bought his shoes 3 sizes to small. So I guess they'll stretch as much as most shoes, but they're prety stiff, so good luck

catbird_seat

Nov 27, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #11 of 19 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nightlion] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nightlion wrote:
The Galileos are a synthetic shoe. They aren't going to stretch much at all. What they feel like now is probably what they will feel like next year. You might be able to get a slight stretch in them but it won't be much of a change.
Bob's your uncle. Only leather shoes will stretch in response to the wet treatment.

ltj999

Nov 28, 2006, 4:17 AM
Post #12 of 19 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catbird_seat] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya i called up 5.10 today and ended up sending them back in exchange for my street shoe size (13). the 5.10 guy said that 12 is way to small and a common problem with people going from other shoes to high performance bouldering shoes like 5.10 or laSportiva, evolve etc from like mad rock pheonix's like me. awsome customer sirvace because i have climbed in them before and they are exchanging them for free. awsome.

climb_plastic

Nov 29, 2006, 8:49 AM
Post #13 of 19 (969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wear 8.5 in street and got the anazasi at 7. Anasasi eventually stetched a little but still got a tight fit where I felt a 7.5 would be better. I bought the galileo at 7.5 and they are tighter than the size 7 anasazi.

Partner j_ung

Nov 29, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #14 of 19 (938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Walking around in them will only hurt you unnecessarily, and wetting them is also a mistake, IMO, unless you're willing to wear them that way until they dry. Honestly, I think you just need time to break them in more. Certainly take them off between routes/pitches, to alleviate the pain.

If, however, you do get to the point where you're ready to give up on them, before you toss 'em, try taking a razor blade and cutting a small knick in the top of the slingshot rand. This will alleviate some pressure and allow you to extend your big toe some more. Viola -- no more hot spot. Use a very sharp blade and increse the size of the knick by tiny amounts as necessary, so you don't accidentally over cut. Be very careful to only cut the rubber, not the cloth heel cup itself.

A buddy had to do exactly this with his Gallileos and even ended up disconnecting the slingshot entirely. Even that wasn't quite enough, though, and he gave them to me. I freaking love 'em. They fit me perfectly, but they'd be a hair too tight if the slingshot were still intact.

hanginaround

Nov 29, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #15 of 19 (911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the same prob with a pair of anazasi's. I wore them around the house, bought a professional type shoe stretcher, and continued to try and wear them climbing. All to no avail, they still hurt after months of trying. I'd sell them on Ebay and start over. You could try J ung's idea, it sounds like it might work, but it'll kill the resale value if it doesn't.

playouts1de

Nov 29, 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #16 of 19 (891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hanginaround] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IMO.....The best thing to do if you love everything about a shoe, except for a single hot spot, is take it to a shoe shop and have them hammer out the spot thats giving you trouble. Most shops can provide this service free of charge, but at most it will run 10$.

climb_plastic

Nov 29, 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #17 of 19 (890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hanginaround] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're really close then you can try continually pulling on the slingshot really hard to stretch it before you cut it. the slingshot does a lot in the way of keeping the shoe shape and providing power and spring to the shoe, so it's not a good thing to cut it. also give it a good pull again right before you put it on.

punk_rocker333

Dec 1, 2006, 9:14 AM
Post #18 of 19 (840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_plastic] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just deal with it, they'll stretch eventually. My Gallileos are 2 sizes too small and through wearing them I've stretched the toe box considerably. Great shoes but I only use them for sport climbing,

thefleck

Dec 3, 2006, 5:53 AM
Post #19 of 19 (796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [punk_rocker333] stretching 5.10 galileo's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any cut you make on them will probably extend itself over time and ruin your shoe. It will also ruin the resale value if it doesn't work. As said above, your best bet is to take them to a professional shoe alteration store and see if they can work out the hot spot. If that doesn't work, sell them. The water technique works well with leather but it won't work on a synthetic material. Likewise, they probably won't stretch much over time, and wearing overly tight shoes can lead to long-term orthopaedic damage in your foot. That's no good.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook