Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

m2j1s

Jan 26, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #1 of 27 (1262 views)
Shortcut

daydream about climbing anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

do any of you other students out there (college, high school...middle school?) sit in class and daydream about the rock, the gear, pretty much climbing in general? man i cant even remember the last time i payed attention to what was going on in class.... its even gotten to the point where i get so desperate i DrAwww the routes ive done and even the gear i use on them!!

d1ll1gaf

Jan 26, 2007, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 27 (1254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [m2j1s] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I am not a student... but I do spend most of the day at work day dreaming about climbing.

granite_grrl

Jan 26, 2007, 5:29 PM
Post #3 of 27 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

m2j1s wrote:
do any of you other students out there (college, high school...middle school?) sit in class and daydream about the rock, the gear, pretty much climbing in general? man i cant even remember the last time i payed attention to what was going on in class.... its even gotten to the point where i get so desperate i DrAwww the routes ive done and even the gear i use on them!!

Who the hell doesn't daydream while they're in class. As climbers we daydream about climbing.

Just wait till you graduate (if you do graduate, considering you tess us that you never pay attention in class). You'll sit at work entertaining your self by reading and posting to rock climbing message boards all day.

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Jan 26, 2007, 5:30 PM)

shockabuku

Jan 26, 2007, 5:30 PM
Post #4 of 27 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d1ll1gaf] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second that.

bizarrodrinker

Jan 26, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #5 of 27 (1242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Third, shall we vote on the motion, to post to rock climbing websites instead of doing what we are paid to do?Tongue

shanz

Jan 26, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #6 of 27 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ill vote on that motion -- at work i do so little but daydream about climbign and spend most the day on message boards. Why i came up with that poll yesterday cause i was wondering how many work hours were wasted due to vertical visualization

(This post was edited by shanz on Jan 26, 2007, 6:04 PM)

jmeizis

Jan 26, 2007, 6:18 PM
Post #7 of 27 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shanz] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What are we talking about daydreaming for, I dream about it at night too. I did it in school, I did it at my job, and I'm doing it right now as an unemployed bum!
Cool

ebonezercabbage

Jan 26, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #8 of 27 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. Work hours daydreaming or doing research about climbing.....hm....probably 4 out of 8, 2 hours playing online games, 45 min of smoke breaks, 45 min lunch, half hour of real work. Working for the government has its perks.

shanz

Jan 26, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 27 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
What are we talking about daydreaming for, I dream about it at night too. I did it in school, I did it at my job, and I'm doing it right now as an unemployed bum!
Cool

Hell if you are unemployed why dream about it when you can go do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bizarrodrinker

Jan 26, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #10 of 27 (1200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebonezercabbage] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's to the underachievers of the world around!!!

miademus

Jan 26, 2007, 6:51 PM
Post #11 of 27 (1188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well infact thats the bad fact of climbing,
it's like a girl you love which is treating you very bad, but you can't stop loving her....the difference with climbing is that you don't feel even bad.

It's hard not to be mad about climbing all the time, most ppl stop climbing when it comes to their exams, and this is probably the best thing a person could do...

ps granite gr: ...did working with other layers work?

ebonezercabbage

Jan 26, 2007, 6:57 PM
Post #12 of 27 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey bizarrodrinker! Why u call me an underachiever? I've got a cushy job that gives me 23 paid holidays a year, plus the big 6......that gives me a lot of time to go climbing, not to mention the money to do it. Plus i get to work on things that go boooooom ( the biggest kind of boom you can get )

coastal_climber

Jan 26, 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #13 of 27 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Every day. I wake up and think about climbing, I go to bed thinking about climbing, and during school, Idk what the teacher even talks about, I'm to busy thinking about climbing.

boulderer420

Jan 26, 2007, 7:45 PM
Post #14 of 27 (1164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I as I'm sure every other climber am constantly dreaming and all in all thinking about climbing in some way. But my question is this:

Why is it almost every single time I do start thinking about climbing and multiply a few times over the same feeling when I'm watching a climbing video or someone climbing. My hands and feet begin to sweat profusely, and by profusely I mean like as close to dripping as one can get. Do other people experience this, and why do our bodies do this? Is it just the mere fact that our bodies know what its like to be there, or does it have to do with endorphins starting to flow a bit more heavily causing the sweat glands to pour?

heelhook

Jan 26, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #15 of 27 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boulderer420] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I spend my time trying to find good traverses around the classroom. Damn near made it all the way around my Econ room today.

shanz

Jan 26, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #16 of 27 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulderer420 wrote:
I as I'm sure every other climber am constantly dreaming and all in all thinking about climbing in some way. But my question is this:

Why is it almost every single time I do start thinking about climbing and multiply a few times over the same feeling when I'm watching a climbing video or someone climbing. My hands and feet begin to sweat profusely, and by profusely I mean like as close to dripping as one can get. Do other people experience this, and why do our bodies do this? Is it just the mere fact that our bodies know what its like to be there, or does it have to do with endorphins starting to flow a bit more heavily causing the sweat glands to pour?

Sounds like you are terminal might wanna carry your chalk bag wherever you go

(This post was edited by shanz on Jan 26, 2007, 8:16 PM)

m2j1s

Jan 26, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #17 of 27 (1150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulderer420 wrote:

Look up Pavlov and you will find the answer to this question

bizarrodrinker

Jan 26, 2007, 8:20 PM
Post #18 of 27 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was a cumulative statement. But whatev, I am totally an underachiever accept with things I care about like climbing.

Partner angry

Jan 26, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #19 of 27 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I teach classes while daydreaming about climbing.

ebonezercabbage

Jan 26, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #20 of 27 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no worries bizarro, wouldn't it be great if climbing actually held some kind of monetary value besides the super ellite or sponsored climbers? We could actually make money climbing. ( and real money, not the $4/hr you make in a gym. )

hugin

Jan 27, 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #21 of 27 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah ... that would suck. If we were paid for it, then the work it takes to send your projects would feel just like writing process documents, or doing configuration management. Not cool at all.

JiBs22

Jan 27, 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #22 of 27 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugin] daydream about climbing anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Today I was folding a flag in a Full Honors funeral in Arlington National Cemetary, while I was folding, I was thinking about a bouldering problem I have been stuck on for 2 weeks....I almost missed my queue to present it to the family...whoops

deadhorse

Jan 27, 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #23 of 27 (1033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulderer420 wrote:

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!

At all times when reading about climbing, watching climbing vids, checking out pics, or just zoning out thinkning about climbing (and even RIGHT NOW) my feet get soo soggy and my hands are straight WET. I have sweaty hands i guess, but when climbing is on my mind, and it so often is, it's disgusting. I try to wash them alot, but it comes back. I don't know what does it. I even got a prescription for it! it's called drysol (anybody else tried the stuff? didn't do much for me)

the other day i was so antsy to go climbing that i brought a #1 stopper to class with me and just played with it, and kept "placing" it in the cracks in the desk, and holding it in my mouth like i do before i place. haha yeaaa, think of what people thought about that one...

(This post was edited by deadhorse on Jan 29, 2007, 7:17 PM)

dan2see

Jan 29, 2007, 4:45 AM
Post #24 of 27 (966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I day-dream about climbs I've done.
At night in bed, I'd lie awake and review the high-lights of the route.

Like "Keel Haul Wall" on Kid Goat, 5 pitches, 5.6, mostly trad, with good bolted belay stations. Andrew led. I seconded, because this was my first-ever trad route in the Rockies.

The fun starts with the first step off the ground. The guide-book says "Follow a diagonal line up right to small ledges..." so Andrew goes up and then right, and finds himself in trouble. He down-climbs and reads the instructions again "up right" ??? so this time he goes "up right" not "up and right" and it's easy. So right away I don't trust the guide book!

Somewhere on the second pitch I find myself at the base of this vertical mini-wall with no way up. All I can find is this crystal for my left foot, so I try it -- maybe I can get some advantage? Nope. There's some dis-colored rock for my right foot, so I try it -- maybe I can see something? Nope. Somehow I grovel up (I don't know how) till I gain the upper edge, which is a sloper but better than a groper. I grovel up some more, and peer over the top edge, and there's a nice flake for me to grab! But to grab it, I must let go of the sloper. So I let go, and grab the flake, and I'm up and over.

On the third pitch, the guide-book warns of "...a large bulging overhang. Traverse steeply left...". OK Andrew has clipped the bolt at the start of the traverse. It's a steep-sloping rock, alright. It doesn't have any actual holds but there's a vegetated groove extending straight over from the start of this stuff, into the gloom cast by the bulging overhang. I can step on that. The traverse also has a horizontal groove for you fingers, it's not entirely full of moss. The roof has more moss. As I proceed along this corridor, the grooves get thinner and thinner. Soon the finger-groove has disappeared, so I'm walking sideways on a slab. Then the toe-groove disappears, and I'm really on a slab. Then the slab disappears, and I step down to a toe-hold, which is (of course) 90 meters off the ground. Finally I reach the exit bolt, unclip Andrew's draw, and thankfully climb out into the light and onto merely vertical limestone.

Well what do you expect for a first-ever trad climb?

But (and this is where the day-dream goes into high gear) but next time on that route, I'm leading!

deadhorse

Jan 29, 2007, 7:21 PM
Post #25 of 27 (933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well pavlov doesn't QUITE cut it here. sweating in the hands is not really the reaction of climbing, more the mental processes that surround it. and conditioning would require a couple more things. but, certainly the sympathetic nervous system is at work when we think of climbing. sweat in the hands and feet but also increase other areas of sweat, BP, HR, adrenal release, etc.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook