Forums: Community: Campground:
I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I:
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I:
Quit my job, live in the mountains and be a rock-monkey-bum? 7 / 30%
Join the military so they will pay for the rest of my flight training? (heli-pilots liscence) 3 / 13%
Take an office job, make some mula, climb on weekends and go crazy? (office girls) 6 / 26%
Other? (I'd like to see some tips please) 7 / 30%
23 total votes

sara_faye

Feb 7, 2007, 8:07 PM
Post #1 of 17 (744 views)
Shortcut

I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I:
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im serious guys and gals. Need to make a decision here.

What the boy-george am I to do?

bizarrodrinker

Feb 7, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #2 of 17 (737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sara_faye] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were not in debt, I would take option A.

Right now I am stuck in option C which is pretty horrific so I wouldn't go there. Worst comes to worst, I would join the military.

jumpingrock

Feb 7, 2007, 8:15 PM
Post #3 of 17 (736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we should chat about this over beer. Nowhere else will you get a good answer.

bizarrodrinker

Feb 7, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #4 of 17 (734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He's got a point

imnotclever

Feb 7, 2007, 8:39 PM
Post #5 of 17 (724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And some pints too, it sounds.

Partner wideguy

Feb 7, 2007, 8:51 PM
Post #6 of 17 (712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imnotclever] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I said "C" but with a modifier. Take an office job but go into it know it is JUST a job. Don't let it define you. When people ask you what you do, you are a pilot in training, a rock climber, a whatever. You job is just something that is a means to an end. Then once you get over that hurtle in how you define yorself, take the moolah and finish your flight training.

A buddy of mine took out a $10K personal loan to pay for his flight time, worked a bunch of jobs to pay that monthly payment but had every weekend to fly. Quickly got enough hours for his commercial, became an instructor so now he was logging hours and making money on weekends.

Point is, too many people will try to make it seem like your job needs to be your bliss. For me getting home every evening, having weekends to myself, and having cash in the bank to enjoy that free time, is the bliss. The rest is just how I get that money.

dr_feelgood

Feb 7, 2007, 9:03 PM
Post #7 of 17 (703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NOT THE MILITARY!!!! whatever you do, for the love of all that is good in the world, don't throw your life away into the soul-sucking, mind-numbing, stupifying 'organization'

Just say no.

petsfed

Feb 7, 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #8 of 17 (667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could just take a soul-sucking job in some field that gives you as many hours as you want, then only work four months out of the year. If you can make 20 grand in those four months, you're set for the rest of the year.

gymbo

Feb 7, 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #9 of 17 (664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I chose D-Other because I don't think you should limit yourself to three choices. Surely there are more options.

If none of the three you are currently considering feel right don't choose any of them now. One of them might become the right choice later.

I am one of those people who feels it's important to do whats right in your heart. As a result if something doesn't feel right I won't do it. It's worked very well for me since I started doing it.

I recommend doing what feels right to get you along for now. Do what you need to do to live and continue to pursue your desires. Either one of the three options will become the clear choice and feel like the right thing to do or some other option you haven't even considered or currently isn't even available will come up and you'll be on the right path.

dripdry

Feb 7, 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #10 of 17 (659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As someone who chose 'C', I'd advocate that to an extent. I'm in a very flexible position, though, in terms of hours. My job does bring me a modicum of bliss, too, so it works out well.

Having worked the office crap, though, it pays well at the cost of one's sanity. Could it mean you can take out your rage on the rock during the weekend?
Mayhap you'll have to work hard now and work up a resume toward something more flexible in the future.

Meh, just an opinion, they're a dime a dozen. Keep mulling it over, and I'm sure that in time you'll figure out what is best for you. Enjoy life in the mean time!

Opinions are like assholes... you can tell a lot about someone by how big it is. Shocked

heelhook

Feb 8, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #11 of 17 (627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dripdry] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh Jesus... Not the military. I would sell magazine subscriptions and work the McDonalds drive through before I joined the military again. It will suck your soul out through which ever orifice will fit it.
Just my .02
O

flying_dutchman

Feb 8, 2007, 3:43 AM
Post #12 of 17 (617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [heelhook] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think that the Canadain military is as constricting as the American war machine. Not like he's gonna get marched out to Iraq, eh? There is a little more freedom/less commitment with Canada's armed forces. You don't sell your soul...

drunkenhighball

Feb 8, 2007, 3:56 AM
Post #13 of 17 (611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i say D. just get drunk tonight and go climbing tommorrow and forget all about it.

dr_feelgood

Feb 8, 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #14 of 17 (611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flying_dutchman] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Iraq is inconsequential... Yes there is the risk of dying, but any military requires substantial soul-sucking...
I actually liked/had fun/was amused by iraq.

sara_faye

Feb 9, 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #15 of 17 (551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] I'd like to use a lifeline...? Should I: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guinness anyone? I like your thinking...

Really though. I'm so stuck. Im just a kid trying to get by with no money and too many things on my plate. I'm still afraid of loans/credit because half of my friends are deep in debt and I dont know how to be smart about that route. I think Ill chat with someone at a bank this week.

The main money thing right now is that I'm stuck in a shitty WCB technicality. Not sure how to fight it. I've been working seismic to make money for flying and climbing on my time off (while im working I have everything paid for, so virtually no expenses) but because I busted my knee, I moved back to town for physio/surgery/physio.... now still trying to get the money from WCB (when I was off after surgery for a while) and making less than usual, plus now having rent, car insurance, gas, food, and all that. It was pretty much like, "I know your not a city/office/stay-in-one-place girl, but WELCOME TO THE 'REAL' WORLD! ..give me your money!"

I went from a field working flying climbing moving around having fun life to a paycheck to paycheck situation with a busted knee (expected full recov in a couple more months). I know I dont have it that bad, but im getting squirmy and dont like where im at at all.

Im going climbing now. And then for a beer.

sara_faye

Feb 9, 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #16 of 17 (541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
I think we should chat about this over beer. Nowhere else will you get a good answer.

imnotclever wrote:
And some pints too, it sounds.

Sounds like a party. Im down.

ihategrigris

Feb 9, 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #17 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know your situation somewhat. I'm working an office job in town (same town as you interestingly enough!) that I don't particularly enjoy.

Right now, i'm thinking time off and live in the mountains (and decide what I want to do with the rest of my life).

Interestingly enough, I'd love to get my fixed-wing license, but don't see it as something I'd pursue as a career.... so it comes down to a choice between climbing and flying, these days climbing seems to be winning.

I don't have any advice... but I like drinking beer and am in the same town as ya'll.... so if your up for something, i'm down.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook