RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

drumminmachine62

Mar 2, 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #1 of 8 (629 views)
Shortcut

Best Bouldering in the South?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning on taking between a week and a half or two weeks early this summer (mid to late june) to go bouldering in the south. HP40 is defintely on my list, but i can't decide where else i might like to climb. I've heard good things about rocktown. any recommendations would be great, especially information about camping, water, food, or anything that would be good to know about staying at a certain spot for 3-4 days.

rjtrials

Mar 2, 2007, 4:15 AM
Post #2 of 8 (610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drumminmachine62] Best Bouldering in the South? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At that time of the year, you had better stick to problems with actual holds on them. Rocktown is a good bet, as well as Lilly.

Your best bet however, is to stick to routes at that time of the year...

RJ

dhaulagiri

Mar 2, 2007, 1:36 PM
Post #3 of 8 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, HP40 is a whole different experience when you go in the summer, probably not recommended if you are coming from far away.

tellicomtnman

Mar 2, 2007, 2:17 PM
Post #4 of 8 (567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dhaulagiri] Best Bouldering in the South? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HP40, Rocktown, Little Rock City (Aka Stonefort), and my home stomping grounds, Lilly at the Obed. But like the others said, bouldering is by no means prime mid summer. At least at the Obed you can boulder for a while and then hit some top notch sport routes only a hike away.

munky

Mar 2, 2007, 2:37 PM
Post #5 of 8 (559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wut up drummingmachine! Because of the oppressive heat at that time of the year I would avoid HP40, Rocktown, and LRC. Yea, the climbing is wordclass but man, that heat sucks. I would suggest spending your entire trip in NC High country in Boone. Boone and the surrounding boulder fields are scattered between 3000-5500 feet in elevation and are as good as anything at the above mentioned areas. The only reason that they don't get as much attention is that they are not as condensed and you will have to a little more hiking between areas. There are about 10 different fields in the Boone area all with many estabished problems. You get slopers, crimps, rails, cracks, pockets, burly mantles, big hucks, delicate slabs, and big roofs all on quality gneiss. Also, Boone is a great college town that has a great scene in the summer, much more happening than Lafayette, or Alabama. Chattanooga is fun though. Its all about the temps. Also, rest days in the Boone area are awesome. Great hiking, swimming holes, mtn. biking, bars with hot college chicks, etc. Have fun where ever you go!

Peace Munky

bizarrodrinker

Mar 2, 2007, 2:56 PM
Post #6 of 8 (550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Best Bouldering in the South? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to Highjack, but how is Rocktown in early May??? I am gonna be down there for my friends Basic Training graduation in the middle of a country wid climbing excursion. Also how are the Ozarks around that time?? I can deal with heat as in the summer I am used to 90 deg with 80-90% humidity. Sucks but I climb anyway.

chearlie

Mar 2, 2007, 3:04 PM
Post #7 of 8 (546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

June, go to the Boone Highcountry (grandmother, etc.). That's the only bolderfield that will be easy to find with bearable conditions. Too hot for anyplace else other than a recon mission, except maybe Rocktown. Though at RT in June you'll have to deal with snakes, bugs and shrubbery.

drumminmachine62

Mar 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #8 of 8 (513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was afraid you guys would say its way to hot to boulder down south this time of year, but my RT companion is strictly bouldering unfortunately... we may end up going to just rocktown and maybe some other more featured areas... heck maybe we should head north? the gunks have decent bouldering don't they? any further help is appreciated

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook