Degree, 4+ yrs college or specialized training 137 / 73%
187 total votes

Partner epoch

Mar 14, 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #26 of 47 (606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
epoch wrote:
Shortly, though, it will be on paper.

Isn't it funny how much power a piece of paper can have over so many lives?

Honestly, I have seen so many smart people without the paper that I try to ignore those that mention it. Usually the people that have to say it are the ones you want to avoid. Tongue

oldsalt, sorry I missed the point of the thread. All that education obviously isn't helping me a bit. Laugh
Unfortunately, in my line of work that little piece of paper does mean allot. Just actively working for it has brought attention to me and what I'm willing to accomplish and it proves that I have an aptitude for learning and bettering myself.

I work with a guy who should be working a top level engineering job, but because he doesn't have that piece of paper he isn't there. Ultimately that piece of paper should mean $$ in your pocket. It DOES NOT necessarily dictate that the person who has it is quality in nature.

gargrantuan

Mar 14, 2007, 1:33 AM
Post #27 of 47 (596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the only job my philosophy BA qualiifies me for is dirtbag.

microbarn

Mar 14, 2007, 1:47 AM
Post #28 of 47 (593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
oldsalt wrote:
I am guessing that our demographic will show that as a group we are better educated than many other groups sharing a specialized non-academic interest.

I would be surprised, considering that fewer than one person in four on this website knows the difference between the words "your" and "you're."

Jay

your wrong

Partner oldsalt

Mar 14, 2007, 2:44 AM
Post #29 of 47 (582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. What he said.

munky

Mar 14, 2007, 2:48 AM
Post #30 of 47 (581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I is edjemecated!! I is vary smart! So wut I cudent macke it thru 10 grde.

deadhorse

Mar 14, 2007, 5:58 AM
Post #31 of 47 (571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gargrantuan] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gargrantuan wrote:
yeah philo BAs! and yeah for their uselessness. I'm working on mine now. Don't forget, having that hard earned philosophy degree also qualifies you to work at a book store with sixteen year olds. The possibilities are endless!

wrbill

Mar 14, 2007, 7:11 AM
Post #32 of 47 (558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
jt512 wrote:
oldsalt wrote:
I am guessing that our demographic will show that as a group we are better educated than many other groups sharing a specialized non-academic interest.

I would be surprised, considering that fewer than one person in four on this website knows the difference between the words "your" and "you're."

Jay

your wrong

I would have to say "You're wrong, as in you are wrong." The your is to show possession, but i'm no english major and I could be wrong.

jt512

Mar 14, 2007, 7:39 AM
Post #33 of 47 (554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wrbill wrote:
microbarn wrote:
jt512 wrote:
oldsalt wrote:

Jay

your wrong

I would have to say "You're wrong, as in you are wrong." The your is to show possession, but i'm no english major and I could be wrong.

Or you just could have no sense of humor.

Jay

janjaf

Mar 14, 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #34 of 47 (549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what, like you're sense of humou're is worth bragging about?
Wink

troutboy

Mar 14, 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #35 of 47 (538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:

The poll is shifted even more to the high end than I expected. Ain't we a bunch a smart folks?
Which is why there should be additional categories beyond college degree, such as Master's, Ph.D, medical degree, law degree, etc.

Not that it is statistically significant, but it does give a little better breakdown and makes it a bit more interesting (IMHO).

T

Partner j_ung

Mar 14, 2007, 1:39 PM
Post #36 of 47 (520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
oldsalt wrote:

Jay

That's about what I was going to say. Considering the level of education, I'm surprised/annoyed/dismayed by how little of that time was spent, apparently, on basic writing skills.

granite_grrl

Mar 14, 2007, 1:40 PM
Post #37 of 47 (518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
I work with a guy who should be working a top level engineering job, but because he doesn't have that piece of paper he isn't there. Ultimately that piece of paper should mean $$ in your pocket. It DOES NOT necessarily dictate that the person who has it is quality in nature.

Sad but true. I felt that getting my degree was a hoop I had to jump through to start getting paid well.

ebonezercabbage

Mar 14, 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #38 of 47 (512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

actually, i know the difference between the two, but on an internet forum, who cares? I type little notes on here when i have a minute or two inbetween tasks at work......i look at this more like writing an IM, mostly slang, just enough to get the point across. I didn't realize we were being graded on Grammer.......i knew i should have taken up english instead of mathematics.....

winglessangel

Mar 14, 2007, 2:20 PM
Post #39 of 47 (505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
Do you think you are going to get a good view of the climbing spectrum from this website???????

Dirtbags without money to buy a computer. High school drop outs with a fear of computers. Climbers too busy to waste time on computers. These are all examples of people not included in your poll.

I would bet that 90% of the people frequenting this site do it from work or school. If they are doing it from work, then they have a desk job that implies college education. If they are in school, then I would guess they are/will be more educated by that standard of measure.

ps, almost got a PhD here

I agree! And you forgot to mention the people who don't want to admit they didn't finish High school.
Looks like an internet poll I saw once "do you use the internet? yes or no"

and the way, why isn't the poll more specific?? Grad scholl, finished grad, finished post-grad, nobel prize winner...

microbarn

Mar 14, 2007, 2:22 PM
Post #40 of 47 (503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebonezercabbage] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ebonezercabbage wrote:
actually, i know the difference between the two, but on an internet forum, who cares? I type little notes on here when i have a minute or two inbetween tasks at work......i look at this more like writing an IM, mostly slang, just enough to get the point across. I didn't realize we were being graded on Grammer.......i knew i should have taken up english instead of mathematics.....

and there's the point

More often then not, the arguments on RC.com are from misunderstandings. If you tried to get more then the general gist across, then you might succeed in actually conveying your idea.

I agree, you can be very informal on internet forums, but one still needs to succeed in espousing their ideas. Writing skills can be ingrained such that it takes no extra time to write in complete sentences or spell correctly. In my opinion, even informal posts should be reread for clarity. It is easier for the poster to reread a formal post and check for clarity.

vertical_planar

Mar 14, 2007, 2:59 PM
Post #41 of 47 (495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
Sadly climbers are remarkably entirely made of middleclass to upper middleclass.

Not that I totally disagree but the poll is biased as it samples only computer owners

jt512

Mar 14, 2007, 6:55 PM
Post #42 of 47 (473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebonezercabbage] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ebonezercabbage wrote:
I didn't realize we were being graded on Grammer.......

Every time you write you're being "graded" on grammar (which is not capitalized and ends in "-ar"). People judge by your writing whether your post is worth reading and responding to. Many posts are so poorly written that educated readers can't be bothered to read them. In fact, the number one reason that I have heard from well-educated climbers who don't participate in the site is that they can't stand all the semi-literate adolescent-speak in the forums.

Jay

themadmilkman

Mar 14, 2007, 7:00 PM
Post #43 of 47 (470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vertical_planar] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vertical_planar wrote:
summerprophet wrote:
Sadly climbers are remarkably entirely made of middleclass to upper middleclass.

Not that I totally disagree but the poll is biased as it samples only computer owners

More specifically, it only samples computer users with internet access who visit rc.com, read the General forum, and choose to respond.

Statistically speaking, it's complete garbage. But it's still fun to look at and talk about the results.

Partner oldsalt

Mar 14, 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #44 of 47 (444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought about breaking the categories down more, but decided that I really didn't care how many PhDs there are out there.

Now, I find that I am curious because my 4+ years category is waaay overloaded.

I visited the "Free climber fell 100 feet, 3/11" thread put up by Majid Sabet, took this link to http://www.boldering.com/....php?showtopic=25071 Boldering.Com.

I must be a snob, because (based on the thread that I read) it is an entirely tacky site that makes RC.com look like the Journal of the American Medical Association.

I knew that rope users were different, but wow!

oldsnob

alpinismo_flujo

Mar 14, 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #45 of 47 (429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your poll is decent. Although there are many shortcomings (pointed out above) - it does reveal an interesting side of rc.comers.

I starting a family and climbing before I earned my degree. Going to school while trying to be a dad, husband and climber was tough. Glad to be done (with school). Cool

PS I already made the money - just wanted the education to fill in the blanks.

charley

Mar 15, 2007, 1:47 AM
Post #46 of 47 (417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:
gargrantuan wrote:
yeah philo BAs! and yeah for their uselessness. I'm working on mine now. Don't forget, having that hard earned philosophy degree also qualifies you to work at a book store with sixteen year olds. The possibilities are endless!
The possibilities are endless. My daughters is philosophy/religion. She is a massage therapist. wtf!!
On the education thing I have four years in the ateth grade. Then they graduated me.
I really have a bit over a year of college that I picked up 25 years after graduating from high school. I then decided it wasn't worth the stress. I did always want a college education but things didn't work out. I now have less than eight months to I retire and live the dirtbag roadtrip life but with a pension check. I will travel around the country hitting up rc.commers for drinks and a place to stay. J__ung is only a 4-5 hour drive from home so I guess he will be the first stop.Laugh

Ben_Jamin

Mar 15, 2007, 2:36 AM
Post #47 of 47 (412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gargrantuan] Highest Level of Education [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im in high school right now and savin money, as soon as I graduate I am going out west to be a dirt bag.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook