Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

roy_hinkley_jr

May 22, 2007, 1:59 PM
Post #26 of 43 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [simon_dmm] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Simon, you state that some companies are using 6000 series aluminum in their biners. Could you tell us who they are? Seems like 7075-T6 has been the industry standard for decades.

And what exactly is the relationship between DMM and Wild Country? Do you make their carabiners? Do they make your cams? It's all so confusing on this side of the pond.

Mike, what's significant about the ISO or is that just marketing? Are there real differences in cold forging? Seems like you just squeeze the hell out of aluminum rod to get the shape and then heat treat like everyone else. And when can I get some OP Uri Geller carabiners?!

docjacen

May 22, 2007, 2:36 PM
Post #27 of 43 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, while we're asking questions, when is OP going to introduce more sizes in the link cams? I want lots of those.

billcoe_

May 22, 2007, 5:30 PM
Post #28 of 43 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dretket] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the only remaining player not heard from on this issue is Malcom from Trango.

I love that DMM (and Wild Country using the DMM process's) have pushed the envelope so hard on lighter, stronger, better biners.

When I started climbing, the Eigher Ovals common on every rack then, probably weighed double of a Helium, and at 1800lbs breaking strength WITH THE GATE CLOSED!, were signifigantly weaker than any crab made today.

I love those Trango superlight lockers too. Need a bit bigger gate, but 41 gms, dear lord, even us elderly folks can drag that stuff vertical.

michaellane

May 22, 2007, 5:52 PM
Post #29 of 43 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
<clip> ... Mike, what's significant about the ISO or is that just marketing? Are there real differences in cold forging? Seems like you just squeeze the hell out of aluminum rod to get the shape and then heat treat like everyone else. And when can I get some OP Uri Geller carabiners?!

ISO Cold Forging is the real deal ... not just a marketing gimmick. By virtue of our unique tooling, dies, choice of materials, the combo of speed and pressure of our presses and other proprietary knowledge and assets, we discovered ways to move cold material further than anyone used to before in the manufacture of carabiners. Without the ISO Cold Forging technology, you'd break dies and materials all day long before you could successfully produce a single Jake or JC frame, for instance.

Our ISO Cold Forged biners were the first cold units to feature tri-lobing (the beefed-up corners for added strength), true rope-bearing radii (mentioned earlier), tapered noses and gates (for better long-term tuning and added strength) as well as fully-hooded gates (to prevent shredded ropes) and flat-spin rivets (to eliminate accidental gate opening).

All these features were introduced on cold-forged biners by Omega in the middle to late nineties. Many of them are now found on other brands, by the way.

To answer the question about Link Cams ... soon!

We're working out the bugs and release schedule for more units ... both smaller than the #1 and larger than the #2. I don't have anything more than that, but please stand by. We're working as hard as we can to get more sizes out. And thanks for the interest.

Regards to all ...

--ML

madrock

May 22, 2007, 7:21 PM
Post #30 of 43 (1409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michaellane] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We have decided that our next production will be made with ISO Hot Forging. This will eliminate any questions about which manufacturing process is the best. Smile

We currently have Hot Forged Products and Cold Forged products. We have not made any Forged itmes with ISO letters in front of it. Which process is best seems to be in the Eyes for the Company selling the product.

I think what was originally being address was that a member on the site seemed to think that Hot Forging was always better process and that the new Mad Rock Carabiners might be inferior because of a chosen manufacturing process. I hope at least this misconception has been cleared up and we now know that every manufaturer has their own best process. We did not think so many people would take notice of us having a few pieces of climbing hardware in our range but it seems to have drawn out all the big dogs and little ones.

Joe

(This post was edited by madrock on May 29, 2007, 7:21 PM)

skidawg

May 29, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #31 of 43 (1262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrock] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why the quick change to hot from cold after only one production run? If it's true that the difference between the two is in the eyes of the company selling it, and both are safe, then why the quick switch/intro to your gear with hot forging. I would trust they would both be safe enough to merit no noticeable difference to the climber, but I almost wonder if I shouldn't be second guessing the cold forge biners I have comming after seeing the last post.
I'm sure they're fine, but when a company sways so easily on such crucial gear, I get a little tingle up my spine.

djoseph

May 29, 2007, 7:09 PM
Post #32 of 43 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madrock wrote:
the new Mad Rack Carabiners

Now that's some good branding. Trademark it while you can...

madrock

May 29, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #33 of 43 (1212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djoseph] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mad Rack tm. Its F*cking Truck.

Done

ckirkwood9

May 29, 2007, 8:00 PM
Post #34 of 43 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madrock wrote:
Mad Rack tm. Its F*cking Truck.

Done

**POW**

there it is!

Madrock... i've not seen any others pick up on this... i'm very disappointed. i've been using the phrase exclusively at the local gym and have dropped it a few times at the Gunks; but my phrasiology has fallen 'pon deaf ears.

perhaps we should change it to be more p.c....

how about "that's f*cking hybrid"

ckirkwood9

Oct 22, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #35 of 43 (750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just checking in after over a year ... i STILL love my mad rock wiregate biners. i've not had any problems with them... they rack really well, look great and i've taken a few falls on them while trad climbing. nothing huge anywhere from a little slip/few feet to about 15 feet.

love them!

kellymoe

Oct 23, 2008, 4:10 PM
Post #36 of 43 (681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am definitely buying some MR biners when the time comes. I haven't heard of any problems and the price cant be beat.

Partner j_ung

Oct 23, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #37 of 43 (666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kellymoe] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I suspect Mad Rock will do well in the current/coming economic climate. Might have to look into that myself.

kellymoe

Oct 23, 2008, 7:10 PM
Post #38 of 43 (645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why would someone not buy MR biners? They are safe and cheap. What's not to like about them? Too many people think that if it's cheap it must be cheaply made. The same people think that if it's expensive it must be super high quality and better. Not always true.

djnevick

Oct 23, 2008, 7:40 PM
Post #39 of 43 (634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kellymoe] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am the supervisor of a rock gym in Clarion PA and we use nothing but mad rock gear. Through my experiences with their biners they are very strong esp. for the price. the twist lock gates however do not last very long ( roughly a year) I have a set of the Ultra Light Tech Draws and I have taken many many falls on them, some of considerable height, and they hold up magnificently!Wink

billcoe_

Oct 23, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #40 of 43 (620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djnevick] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why wouldn't you just buy steel for your rock gym and be done with it?

anykineclimb

Oct 23, 2008, 9:42 PM
Post #41 of 43 (601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:

steel's more expensive.

DUH!Tongue

acorneau

Oct 23, 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #42 of 43 (574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anykineclimb wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

steel's more expensive.

DUH!Tongue

And much more durable, saving you money and time replacing gear!

anykineclimb

Oct 24, 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #43 of 43 (528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Mad Rock biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you captain obvious.

please note the winky face...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook