Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jram0s

May 30, 2007, 6:55 AM
Post #1 of 69 (3856 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by jram0s
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

majid_sabet

May 30, 2007, 7:24 AM
Post #2 of 69 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jram0s] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jram0s wrote:
TO CLIMB! I currently work full time at a gas station in Smith River. About 12 miles from Oregon but I reside in Crescent City. My day consists of selling beer to drunk Tolowa indians and telling people they have to pre-pay for their gas. And to tell you the truth, I HATE it. I can't stand it. I can't stand mopping the floor just to have it dirty the next day. I come home and fathom the idea of one day, I will be able to climb. I buy Rock & Ice magazines at the local store. I have Freedom of the Hills and a bunch of other mountaineering books. I am such a wanna-be, it isn't even funny. My brother and dad initially got me into backpacking and outdoors in general, so I've always had passion for getting out. First of all, I work. Second, there is nowhere to climb around here. Only miles of great redwood forest, which is beautiful, but not quite what I'm looking for. ramble ramble... The reason I wrote this, is pretty much asking for some advice. Particularly some climbing courses near Yosemite where I can learn some fundamentals. I plan to take a Greyhound with my backpack there sometime this summer, and see if I can kick off things in the climbing world. Call it loopy. I call it the cheap way. My way. Thank you so much, hope to get some feedback!!

DNC in Yosemite is always looking for people to work. Pay is no better than working for Burger King but you meet many people with similar interest to climb on your free time.

look for DNC website in Yosemite and get some info.

rkepley_1

May 30, 2007, 7:42 AM
Post #3 of 69 (3817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well by God get out there and do it man! You may not realize yet, but you are at a point in your life where if you just want to climb and roadtrip you can. Trust me, I'm not. If I knew what I know now when I was your age (I'm 38) I would have done things a lot different. As long as you don't have any debt or children to support then live your life by your own means. Save some money for a while and just hit the road. Yosemite is a climbing mecca! You won't have a hard time finding people to climb with. Just go hang out in "Camp 4" and you'll find all the partners you need.

I'm sure life may seem a bit bleak with your current situation and job but I would trade shoes with you in a heartbeat. You're actually at a really cool point in you life. Life gets more complicated the older you get. Don't even think about settling down with a wife and kids until you're at least in your 30's, or better yet, avoid it altogether. Get out and get after dude!

Peace

(This post was edited by rkepley_1 on May 30, 2007, 7:48 AM)

jram0s

May 30, 2007, 8:01 AM
Post #4 of 69 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by jram0s [In reply to]
Report this Post

jram0s

May 30, 2007, 8:04 AM
Post #5 of 69 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deleware North Companies.. Ok

eastvillage

May 30, 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #6 of 69 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, you should go to Yosemite Valley and try and work there. You will learn everything you need to know by meeting people and being around so many highly motivated climbers. Stay till the fall and you will probably go from wanna-be to climber in short order.
As soon as you have some cash and a bus ticket RUN to the Valley to Camp 4.
Don't look back. You are in a once in a lifetime position. It will be amazing.

billl7

May 30, 2007, 1:21 PM
Post #7 of 69 (3617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go for it. Even if the climbing side doesn't work out you'll learn a lot about yourself.

Assuming you only have book-learning about climbing, take an introductory climbing course first thing and go from there. It isn't going to be cheap - it may be the most expensive item for your trip - but you will then have a descent base to work from.

... and keep in mind that I'm over 40.Wink

Bill L

"I'm 18! I get confused every day!"
AC

Partner j_ung

May 30, 2007, 1:31 PM
Post #8 of 69 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If not now, when? I say go for it, too.

freezorburn

May 30, 2007, 2:33 PM
Post #9 of 69 (3520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jram,

You seam smart and you write well. I am going to give you advice which I may get flammed for.

FORGET CLIMBING go to SCHOOL, local Comunity Collages, Highshool diploma Exct... Man get a Education you will not regret it!

This is a very important time to get a education then Vast options will present themselfs. You can somtimes climb for free at school. Your at a milestone in your life, Don't mess it up fishish school all the way!

The ARMY will pay for your education if you have no money and they will teach you to climb!

dr_feelgood

May 30, 2007, 2:35 PM
Post #10 of 69 (3514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freezorburn] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

freezorburn wrote:
SNIP
The ARMY will pay for your education if you have no money and they will teach you to climb!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!
Don't join the army. Trust me.

billl7

May 30, 2007, 2:47 PM
Post #11 of 69 (3492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

freezorburn wrote:
Jram,

You seam smart and you write well. I am going to give you advice which I may get flammed for.

FORGET CLIMBING go to SCHOOL, local Comunity Collages, Highshool diploma Exct... Man get a Education you will not regret it!

This is a very important time to get a education then Vast options will present themselfs. You can somtimes climb for free at school. Your at a milestone in your life, Don't mess it up fishish school all the way!

That reminds me of one more thing for the OP: On your climbing trip, take along "The Power Of Myth" by Joseph Campbell. Read closely the part about following your bliss.

knieveltech

May 30, 2007, 2:53 PM
Post #12 of 69 (3477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

freezorburn wrote:
Jram,

SOLID advice, except the Army part. It breaks down like this:

Your job/career opportunities (and thus your wage earning potential) are defined by your education (or lack thereof). If you want to blow off school for a year or two and go climb, by all means DO IT, but have a plan that includes getting a four year degree. You'll have a blast at college and are likely to have plenty of free time to climb (assuming you pick a school that's near some decent climbing destinations). When school's over, if you don't feel like getting "a real job", fuck it, go climb. You'll at least have a degree, which will give you more options, and that gets more and more important the older you get. Good luck, climb safe.

freezorburn

May 30, 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #13 of 69 (3469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
freezorburn wrote:
SNIP

feelgood,

Hey, how could you say somthing like that? why? There are many carear opptions. The miss's loves her Army carear. We get great benifits for the whole family too!

R U A Marine, then that would explain then negative Army feelings. Don't forget to put a capitail A in Army.

saphius

May 30, 2007, 3:06 PM
Post #14 of 69 (3447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill7 wrote:
That reminds me of one more thing for the OP: On your climbing trip, take along "The Power Of Myth" by Joseph Campbell. Read closely the part about following your bliss.

Here, here! Very good read, might just open your eyes. Campbell was great.

(This post was edited by saphius on May 30, 2007, 3:06 PM)

socalbolter

May 30, 2007, 3:15 PM
Post #15 of 69 (3425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jram0s wrote:
TO CLIMB! I currently work full time at a gas station in Smith River. About 12 miles from Oregon but I reside in Crescent City. My day consists of selling beer to drunk Tolowa indians and telling people they have to pre-pay for their gas. And to tell you the truth, I HATE it. I can't stand it. I can't stand mopping the floor just to have it dirty the next day. I come home and fathom the idea of one day, I will be able to climb. I buy Rock & Ice magazines at the local store. I have Freedom of the Hills and a bunch of other mountaineering books. I am such a wanna-be, it isn't even funny. My brother and dad initially got me into backpacking and outdoors in general, so I've always had passion for getting out. First of all, I work. Second, there is nowhere to climb around here. Only miles of great redwood forest, which is beautiful, but not quite what I'm looking for. ramble ramble... The reason I wrote this, is pretty much asking for some advice. Particularly some climbing courses near Yosemite where I can learn some fundamentals. I plan to take a Greyhound with my backpack there sometime this summer, and see if I can kick off things in the climbing world. Call it loopy. I call it the cheap way. My way. Thank you so much, hope to get some feedback!!

My grandparents used to live in Crescent City. There is more climbing around you than you probably realize. You will need a car though. Do a little research (on this site and others) and you will find quite a lot of climbing down south of you. Look south of Eureka, around the Arcata and Redding areas.

Lots of sport areas here and there, along with some really good coastline bouldering areas.

I'm far from a local and haven't been up there for a number of years so I can't really offer better info, but there are places to go up there.

Be safe and have fun!

justthemaid

May 30, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #16 of 69 (3321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
Your job/career opportunities (and thus your wage earning potential) are defined by your education (or lack thereof). If you want to blow off school for a year or two and go climb, by all means DO IT, but have a plan that includes getting a four year degree. You'll have a blast at college and are likely to have plenty of free time to climb (assuming you pick a school that's near some decent climbing destinations). When school's over, if you don't feel like getting "a real job", fuck it, go climb. You'll at least have a degree, which will give you more options, and that gets more and more important the older you get. Good luck, climb safe.

Best advice so far.

hugin

May 30, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #17 of 69 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
freezorburn wrote:
Jram,

SOLID advice, except the Army part. It breaks down like this:

Quoted for Great Truth and Justice.

Think long term, but not at the expense of your short-term fun. Take that trip this summer, become a climber, spend those beautiful nights under the stars reflecting on what you want long-term, and seriously consider continuing your education or learning some trade. Most of my friends that are 30+ and still working retail or odd jobs to pay the rent are unhappy and wish they had been more forward looking in pursuing gainful employment. If you're really savvy, you could probably even figure out how to be a consultant or some other job that allows you lots of flexibility to climb (or whatever it is you want later on) while still living a good lifestyle.

And here's the big kicker - a good rack is really hard to build without a solid paycheck.

hugin

May 30, 2007, 4:29 PM
Post #18 of 69 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh ... and ...

In reply to:
I'm 18 and I know what I want

No you don't. This statement is an oxymoron

You never will really know what you want, and there will always be conflict. Do the things that make you happy, and don't forget to think with a long view every so often.

sungam

May 30, 2007, 4:40 PM
Post #19 of 69 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugin] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fuck ALL THAT SHIT.
Here's the key plan; it's called a gap year.
Get to fucking camp 4, send that shit for a year, thenb go to college.
Join the college climbing club, send that shit some more.
Graduate, get a job, get money, buy gear, send that shit in every bit of spare time you have and, most importantly...
STAY PSYCHED!

-MagnuS

shanz

May 30, 2007, 4:46 PM
Post #20 of 69 (3235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do it while you are young - damn hard to do it when you have 3 kids and 3 grandkids -even if the wife is up for like mine is

time2clmb

May 30, 2007, 4:50 PM
Post #21 of 69 (3228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

freezorburn wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
freezorburn wrote:
SNIP

feelgood,

Hey, how could you say somthing like that? why? There are many carear opptions. The miss's loves her Army carear. We get great benifits for the whole family too!

R U A Marine, then that would explain then negative Army feelings. Don't forget to put a capitail A in Army.

Uhhh....yeah....a perfect example of why you should edjicate yous self. You don't want to end up spalling like dis guy.

Look...your 18 fucking years old. You have a life time ahead of you. Do what your heart and gut tell you to do. If your sick of shit and stress, take time off. Even if you take a 4 year course when you are 24 that means you will be 28 when your done. Still young with a life time ahead of you. Don't become a bitch to some company. Life is for living. In the end if you are head of some company what have you really accomplished in the grand scheme of things?....wow you made some company another million. Who gives a fuck about that. Don't be a cog.

Find some thing you love doing and do it.

hummm

May 30, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #22 of 69 (3222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go, go to the Valley right now, pronto. They are looking for a lot of people to work in the summer. Last time I talked to one of a staff at the park, he said they are very short of summer workers since working visa is a lot harder to get now, which means less foreign students can come over and work. This will get you lodging and you won't have to worry about getting kick out of Camp 4. There is ways to stay longer than the 7 days allowed, but getting a job that provide lodging and minimum pay will just give you peace of mind.

One summer will make you a climber if you put your heart to it. So use this summer to think about your future. You are 18, you should think long term. Education is the most important thing in your life. If you are that serious about climbing, you can still live around a great climbing area, study and go climb during the weekends, and during winter and summer break, head out to other places.

You know what, forget about the feedback here. Go to Yosemite where you will meet climbers from every walks of life. Ask them questions, and see it with your own eyes what a climber's life can be, how they made it and didn't make it. Go, you got the passion and drive, now go. Laugh

eastvillage

May 30, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #23 of 69 (3221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll update my previous post. College is an absolute necessity. So, go to the Valley and start applying to schools. Become a California resident. Get yourself into the January term somewhere, anywhere, even part time, but do it. By that time you will be a climber AND you will be taking steps toward greatly improve your future, which is looking very bleak for people w/out college.

hugin

May 30, 2007, 5:03 PM
Post #24 of 69 (3205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eastvillage] I'm 18 and I know what I want [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

College: The New High School

kane_schutzman

May 30, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #25 of 69 (3196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man look,

I am 18 as well, and did the same thing you want, only 3 weeks ago. Just like you, I worked at Papa Johns for a "highschool" job. The day I graduated, I left to Washington, and now work in Mazama at the NCB and I have not yet to look back. For sure, do what you can to get out, but do it right. Let your parents be involved, and hope to God that they support you. If anything, don't just move. Have a solid job where-ever you wana go, before you do go. I did it from Louisiana to Washington, you can do too. Lots a people said that it would never happen, but look at me know?

Kane

Your welcome to pm me if you wanna talk about any plans. Oh and by the way, Yosemite is an excellent way to get involved, but it may be hard to get in. The climbers I talked to said they waited months, plus you gotta take a piss test, so stay clean for life!

Edited to say: Btw if you can get into a college around climbing, then like others that would probably be ideal. Myself though, I know I can go back.

(This post was edited by kane_schutzman on May 30, 2007, 5:10 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook