Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Top Rope Requirements at Shaffer Rocks PA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

adh24

May 31, 2007, 6:18 PM
Post #1 of 7 (6453 views)
Shortcut

Top Rope Requirements at Shaffer Rocks PA  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southcentral_Region: Shaffer_Rock__aka_The_Hermitage_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok new here to the sport. I have been climbing here and there for about a year but my buddy has gott'n me fully roped in now (pun intended).

As to the top roping at Shaffer Rocks, what gear is needed for a proper top rope. Where are the anchors if any? Are they close to the edge or back further? Natural or placed by man? Will I need a separate fixed rope?

Reason I ask is that I recently took a hiking trip on the AT near Pine Grove. Packed our climbing gear and decided to stop off at Pole Steeple. The beta I got here on this site just said there were top ropes. Didn't realize the anchor points were as far back from the edge of the face as they were till we got there. Saw that the out reach group there had a separate rope around a tree so they could put there top rope directly at the edge.

Any help would be cool Thanks

fulton

May 31, 2007, 6:38 PM
Post #2 of 7 (6446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adh24] Top Rope Requirements at Shaffer Rocks PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting question. Shaffer's is typical of PA top ropping, especially in the Blue Mountain Area where Shaffer's and Pole Steeple are located (White Rock Acers and White Rock Pond Bank are two other near by venues worth checking out).

When my Dad and I used to top rope at these places we'd get by with:

Several section of webbing; at least one forty-foot section, and 2 twenty-foot sections and a couple of ten-foot sections.

A couple pieces of gear; a couple stoppers and hexes (cams aren't necessary)

Binners, for top ropes such as these that require rigging, bring at least 10 carabineers

And that’s all you really need, we climbed for years in the Central Pa area with little more, however; a long piece of static rope (9-11mm) is a total luxury and worth lugging around.

Also, the Climbnasium, in Mechanicsburg (795-9580), offers top rope anchors courses that are usually conducted at Shaffer’s, White Rocks, etc. (they'd probably let you pick if you really had a preference). Their courses are great because they will teach you how to set up anchors (generally) on the very climbs that you’re interested in top ropping.

Have fun and watch out for Rattle Snakes - there are alot of them on the rocks this time of year.

mwunder424

May 31, 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #3 of 7 (6440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] Top Rope Requirements at Shaffer Rocks PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
Interesting question. Shaffer's is typical of PA top ropping, especially in the Blue Mountain Area where Shaffer's and Pole Steeple are located (White Rock Acers and White Rock Pond Bank are two other near by venues worth checking out).

When my Dad and I used to top rope at these places we'd get by with:

Several section of webbing; at least one forty-foot section, and 2 twenty-foot sections and a couple of ten-foot sections.

A couple pieces of gear; a couple stoppers and hexes (cams aren't necessary)

Binners, for top ropes such as these that require rigging, bring at least 10 carabineers

And that’s all you really need, we climbed for years in the Central Pa area with little more, however; a long piece of static rope (9-11mm) is a total luxury and worth lugging around.

Also, the Climbnasium, in Mechanicsburg (795-9580), offers top rope anchors courses that are usually conducted at Shaffer’s, White Rocks, etc. (they'd probably let you pick if you really had a preference). Their courses are great because they will teach you how to set up anchors (generally) on the very climbs that you’re interested in top ropping.

Have fun and watch out for Rattle Snakes - there are alot of them on the rocks this time of year.

yeah.. beat me to it.. that wraps it up though... there are no fixed "man made anchors"

and second on the snake warning - real deal

reg

May 31, 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man wish i could remember exactly but i was there stayin in the cabin - didn't climb that day but seems like there were plenty of trees within 10-20 feet - some closer. you'll get some penn climbers here who can be more accurate. sorry

roclimb

Jun 1, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #5 of 7 (6416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Top Rope Requirements at Shaffer Rocks PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

last I heard someone from Maryland bolted a two bolt anchor on the pinnacle. Don't know if the bolt nazzi's got to it yet though

mattltambor

Jun 1, 2007, 1:28 AM
Post #6 of 7 (6411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roclimb] Top Rope Requirements at Shaffer Rocks PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two sets of bolts there - one more recently placed. Other than those, you'll either need 40-50ft. of webbing/static line as previously mentioned for anchoring off trees set back from the cliff, or simple gear like hexes - again, as already mentioned. I've climbed there plenty and never needed more than that. You will need basic toprope stuff, though, like a couple lockers, slings/draws, and extra biners, etc. just for rigging purposes. As always, make sure you know what you're doing. Either go with someone more experienced, take a course, or at least have another climber double check your rig. Climbing is more fun if you're not injured or dead... Wink

dharmatreez

Jun 1, 2007, 1:57 AM
Post #7 of 7 (6400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most climbs will just require a long static line, my 80 foot works well there and a few 20+ foot sections of webbing to slings a few blocks and trees.

there is two shuts on top of the Spider Man climbs, the one set works for all the variations, as the climbs join up halfway up and head straight to the anchor

there is two recently placed bolts on top of Lost Religion (a .12), they are down a few feet on the face, best to rap down to them or lead Blazing Saddles in the corner.

most of the set ups can use some passive pro, but with creativity and LENGTH on your web or stat line and you will be alright without it.

just a HEADS UP i was there a few days ago and there is a large black snake (known in the Hermitage Cabin log as "Jake the Snake") that is digesting a chipmunk in a large horizontal crack on the backside of the tower. i would stay off of Lichen Lizard if he is still there, even though it is only a black snake, Jake will be cranky with a belly full of chippy.

i'm uploading two new topos tonight (sorry too large to attach here), i'm sure they will be validated in a day or two, so check back to the database and check them out, they might help you get a feel for the place, they are a "work in progress", so take them as such

happy trails and safe climbing,

jae

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook