RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Miura465

May 14, 2007, 2:10 AM
Post #1 of 15 (17078 views)
Shortcut

Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today Sunday 5/13 i witnessed a groundfall at Smith Rock across the river at Rope-de-dope Block. I heard many different things during the commotion but don't want to share because i do not know what is true or not.

Does anyone have any credible information about the accident?

I know it happened at around 2:00 PM on Sunday May 5 2007.

Thanks, and CLIMB SAFE!

clemrick

May 14, 2007, 5:05 AM
Post #2 of 15 (16964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Miura465] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was with a group and witnessed the accident as well. Part of my group went across the river to help. The climber was a female, climbing with a group whom she had just met up with. She was high enough on the main crack on that formation that she had placed 3 pieces. She fell, and all 3 pieces pulled, she struck the rock, then decked. The woman reportedly landed face down, and remained unconcious, was intubated and airlifted out. I don't know the nature of the injuries, but it looked like a definite head injury. She was not wearing a helmet. Please update if anyone knows the condition of the climber. It was a very rattling experience to see. Pray for her.

pink_chalk

May 14, 2007, 5:14 AM
Post #3 of 15 (16947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemrick] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my gosh, how awful. Prayers to all and sending lots of love and support.

(This post was edited by pink_chalk on May 14, 2007, 5:18 AM)

pink_chalk

May 14, 2007, 5:57 PM
Post #4 of 15 (16768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pink_chalk] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any update?

Miura465

May 15, 2007, 3:53 AM
Post #5 of 15 (16577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any update on her condition?

pink_chalk

May 16, 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #6 of 15 (16445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*update*

Found this article online at: http://www.kbnd.com

Rescued at Smith Rock by Redmond Fire
-by Donald Shurtleff
A rock climber was seriously injured this afternoon while climbing on the beginner’s wall called Rope-A-Dope at Smith Rock. Redmond Fire and Rescue responded and carried the unidentified female climber about 200 yards from the wall to a parking lot for AirLife. The climber was transported to St. Charles in Bend. No other details have been released.

billcoe_

May 22, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #7 of 15 (15973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like a terrible end.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...52/page/1#Post685452

bobruef

May 22, 2007, 9:09 PM
Post #8 of 15 (15907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to all involved. Horrible news to be sure.

The climb in question:

(This post was edited by bobruef on May 22, 2007, 9:09 PM)

PaulSiegel

May 22, 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #9 of 15 (15755 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by PaulSiegel [In reply to]
Report this Post

david_smithrock

May 23, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #10 of 15 (15403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Looks like a terrible end.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...52/page/1#Post685452

The guy from that site that had "heard it was fatal" was just passing on rumors, as he later admitted. She was alive the whole time I was there (I got there on my bike a few minutes after she fell), and although unconscious, at least her vitals weren't deteriorating during the 50 minutes or so before she was airlifted out.

I've asked the rangers and done some research, but nobody seems to know how she is doing, whether good or bad.

notapplicable

May 26, 2007, 1:56 AM
Post #11 of 15 (15107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PaulSiegel] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PaulSiegel wrote:
What's even worse is that it's incredibly easy to top rope this climb, there is a short climb-up behind the block and an easy 5.6 on the left side that provides easy acces to the top. But I don't know all the details of the accident, perhaps there were mitigating circumstances, but just wanted to put that out there.

Best wishes to the injured but what does the fact that the climb is easy to TR have to do with the accident being more or less tragic or sad. This accident being "preventable" because the climb could be TR'd is not the same as not doubling back your harness or miss communication between climber and belayer. Climbings not safe and she was practicing her craft in the style she wanted to.

Miura465

Jun 5, 2007, 5:51 AM
Post #12 of 15 (14672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This was posted on cascade climbers earlier today. Pray for Chaya. The medical experience that surrounded her during her time of need could be a key factor to her recovery. As active climbers outside i think we all have a responsibility to educate ourselves in first aid and outdoor medical emergencies. I was supposed to get my WFR last spring, I now seriously regret passing up my 1/2 price offer from my employer at the time.
In reply to:
On Sunday May 13th and about 1:30 p.m. Chaya fell 25-30 feet and landed on her head. She was climbing and camping in Smith Rock State Park outside of Redmond, OR She was not wearing a helmet.

We first want everyone to know how much we appreciate the outpouring of love from our friends and family. There are so many people pulling for Chaya that it is truly amazing.

Chaya was lead climbing with her friend Carin, who she was road tripping with to Oregon, where she was initially working this summer. She was notified by Outward Bound that enrolment was not as high as they had planned for so she was not needed in OR, but they had a spot for her in Montana if she still wanted the job. She did. Chaya and Carin decided to take a day to climb at Smith Rock State Park.

Chaya had already done at least one other lead climb before starting up the route from which she fell. She placed three pieces of protection before she arrived at a spot that made her nervous. Carin took the slack out of the rope and Chaya called 'falling' and fell. She fell and all her pieces of protection zippered out of the rock face. She hit the rock once with her full body, and then reached the ground. She landed face down with her head tilted to the side. The initial point of impact was the left side of her head.

Chaya was breathing on her own after the fall. Carin, a WFR (wilderness first responder) immediately stabilized her head and neck. EMS was called. An ER doctor and a nurse from Portland were climbing across the river and saw her fall, so there was a doctor on the scene almost immediately. An EMS ground crew arrived within 20 minutes. They called in the helicopter. The ground crew stabilized Chaya's neck and head and checked her body for furthur injury. She had two skinned knees, three broken ribs and a collapsed lung. She did not regain consciousness.

Chaya was airlifted from the scene to St. Charles Medical Center in Bend, OR; a level II trauma center. She arrived there just over an hour after she fell. She was intubated. At the ER she was admitted and had a chest tube put in. Her left lung was reinflated. She was put under heavy sedation, in order to minimize the amount (if any) of brain damage.

After she was stabilized enough, she was transefered to the CCU (Critical Care Unit, a.k.a. ICU), where the hospital staff attempted to continue to stabilize her.

Jesse arrived at the hospital at about 3:30 a.m. on May 14th. I (Aliya) arrived the same day at 9:30 a.m. and Mom and Dad got in at about noon.

We met with her neurosergeon, who had placed and ICP (inter-cranial pressure) monitor into her head, in order to better assess her brain functions. He informed us that he suspects a Diffuse Axonal Injury (But Jesse and Steve are highly suspect of this diagnosis). The level of brain damage, he said, could be anywhere on a wide spectrum. All we have to do is wait and see.

Chaya is still in the critical care unit.

time2clmb

Jun 5, 2007, 6:02 AM
Post #13 of 15 (14659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hopefully she recovers from this.

majid_sabet

Jun 5, 2007, 6:33 AM
Post #14 of 15 (14641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [time2clmb] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Miura465
your last report said, she was leading only once before this accident.
Is this correct ?
What this her second time leading a trad pitch ?

Miura465

Jun 5, 2007, 7:04 AM
Post #15 of 15 (14619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Ground fall at Smith Rock - Rope-de-dope Block [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was quoting someone else. you can read her full post at http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/687960/page/1#Post690418 i am the wrong person to ask that question. I do not know any details about the accident beyond what has been posted. But other people in this thread have said that she is relatively inexperienced in leading on gear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook