RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner chugach001

Jun 9, 2007, 4:14 PM
Post #1 of 3 (481 views)
Shortcut

Contact Straps? Garmont Vetta?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My crampon experience is with Step in and Click type crampons. And big heavy boots. But I want a light weight rig. Do the contract straps work well enough for semi-technical ice? I am considering getting these with a pair of Garmont Vetta's for alpine ice routes.
Here's the Vetta.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Garmont/idesc/Vetta+Plus+%2D+Men%27s/Store/MG/item/111213/N/670

If the package works well for WI3 then I'm happy. Solid enough for WI4 and I would be thrilled.

Anyone have experience with these?
Thanks,
Jeff

studclimber

Jun 10, 2007, 6:52 PM
Post #2 of 3 (458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chugach001] Contact Straps? Garmont Vetta? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I don't know what everyone else will think, but I would not go with the contact strap crampon for alpine ice. It is extremely flexible, and would probably pop off if you tried frontpointing very much on hard ice. A friend of mine owns them, and he uses them for moderate glacier travel, and thats it. Try the sabretooth. i use a clip version, and they work great for alpine stiff.

mqsack

Jul 5, 2007, 8:14 PM
Post #3 of 3 (380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chugach001] Contact Straps? Garmont Vetta? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used the crampons for alpine ice, would not recommend for much water ice over easy WI3, since short point not as stable as say more traditional 12 pointers, but hey it all depends on the climber! a pair of sabretooths would be the best choice for this type of climbing though.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook