RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

rockngeek

Jun 13, 2007, 1:19 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1174 views)
Shortcut

Indoor Climbing Nessesistes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I appologize if this has been asked previosly but i didnt see it looking through the first couple pages of posts

My question/problem is i climbed before (5 years ago) and i wanted to get back into it but wanted to start at my local gym just to relearn the ropes (literally) what would be the essential equipment and extras to get to get started and price is no issue ( i also plan to continue so if its more advanced its ok). If anyone has any ideas on specefic items that would be extremely helpful

just so im not sounding like a total noob i do know that all equipment is personal preference and what might work for some might not work for others

thanks
mac

reg

Jun 13, 2007, 1:43 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockngeek] Indoor Climbing Nessesistes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

indoor climbing nessesisties: shoes - which you seem to be getting, harness and maybe chalkbag. take some of their courses: belay techniques, top rope anchors, sport leading, etc. read read read training manuals on climbing techniques and anchors. when you venture outside, toprope gear will depend on where your going to climb. if mostly at the same locations near home, then you can buy anchor gear to setup your toprope based on what is needed for those locations.
sport and trad climbing outside is a discussion for another day. have fun!

squarf

Jun 13, 2007, 1:48 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quite honestly you shouldn't need much of anything, just $$.

Rent shoes, a harness and a belay device. Try on some different shoes and harnesses just to see how they fit and how you like them. When you find a brand or type you like, go out and purchase it.

(A good economical choice for me was Black Diamond's Bod)

A personal purchase that might be important would be chalk and a chalk bag. Local gyms usually have reasonably priced chalk bags, and you can buy bulk chalk on-line.

For later on and depending upon your gyms policy, you might need a rope for indoor lead. I would talk to your local gym owner.

Above all else, take a class. You usually get a membership for the time you are in the class and free gear rentals during class time. Start with a beginners class if you want to learn what a biner is and how to tie in.

markc

Jun 13, 2007, 1:51 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Indoor Climbing Nessesistes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:
indoor climbing nessesisties: shoes - which you seem to be getting, harness and maybe chalkbag.

Depending upon the gym, I'd add a belay device, a pear-shaped biner for belaying, and a locking carabiner for anchoring. Some gyms have pre-rigged Gri-Gris or may loan devices. At our gym there is a rental fee, and you're better off making the investment once.

rockngeek

Jun 13, 2007, 1:56 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Indoor Climbing Nessesistes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the gym charges 7 bucks for belay device, shoes, and harness

rockngeek

Jun 13, 2007, 1:57 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

another thing the gym near me charges 70 bucks for a group beginner lesson and 100 dollars for a private beginner lesson

markc

Jun 13, 2007, 2:00 PM
Post #7 of 16 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squarf] Indoor Climbing Nessesistes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squarf wrote:
Quite honestly you shouldn't need much of anything, just $$.

Rent shoes, a harness and a belay device. Try on some different shoes and harnesses just to see how they fit and how you like them. When you find a brand or type you like, go out and purchase it.

It's just a matter of opinion, but I think you should make the investment in personal equipment as soon as you know you're going to stick with climbing (assuming you have sufficient funds). I agree that you want to get a feel for what gear you prefer, but rental fees add up quickly.

rockngeek

Jun 13, 2007, 2:04 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i did it 5 years ago i belive i used a bd and i was in it all day belaying and climbing

i still ahvent used shoes yet (went barefoot) (pain)

also someone told me to buy a gri gri ( i think its too complicated ( would i be better staying with atc

reg

Jun 13, 2007, 2:21 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oops forgot the belay device! anway others covered it - i'd stay away from the grigri for now. you need to learn proper, manual, regular (can't think of the right wording - maybe "basic") belay methods from the beginning.

markc

Jun 13, 2007, 2:48 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:
oops forgot the belay device! anway others covered it - i'd stay away from the grigri for now. you need to learn proper, manual, regular (can't think of the right wording - maybe "basic") belay methods from the beginning.

I figured you might climb in a gym with prerigged devices or free loans, thus the omission. Don't 'fess up to a bad memory if you have a good cover story!

For any gym climbers trying to save money, you can initially share certain items if you have a regular partner. You can get by with one belay device, one set of the necessary biners, and one chalk bag. That's roughly $50 you both won't have to put out at once.

rockngeek

Jun 13, 2007, 2:54 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem/thing is that i dont have a climbing partner so thats something i guess i have to work on

( do you need a climbing partner in the gym)

rballdan

Jun 17, 2007, 8:08 AM
Post #12 of 16 (921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In all the gym's that I have looked into you do need a partner unless you want to boulder all day long. Which I have found quite enjoyable because I am too shy to ask to talk to a ton of people. My advice is no matter what you do enjoy climbing but the sooner you buy your own gear the better because then you will have something that is comfortable for you. When I first started 3 months ago I used the stuff they would rent out and it was pretty uncomfortable. Now I'm hooked especially once I got my own gear to use. Best of luck to you!!!!!
Dan

uzibear

Jun 17, 2007, 8:24 AM
Post #13 of 16 (917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just don't call it (or think about it as) "climbing" : ) it's training, not climbing

markc

Jun 17, 2007, 1:46 PM
Post #14 of 16 (896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rballdan] Indoor Climbing Nessesistes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rballdan wrote:
In all the gym's that I have looked into you do need a partner unless you want to boulder all day long.

Some gyms have autobelay systems. That will permit you to climb routes alone, but you're better off finding a regular partner. I'd suggest finding a friend that may want to start climbing or putting up a note up in the gym. If you put up a note, it's good to include your availability. Bringing a partner is easier than finding one.

If you go to the gym alone, look for any odd-numbered groups. If you can give them more opportunity to climb, you'll be an asset. If you're bumming belays off of pairs, you're cutting into their climbing time. If you're a regular you'll get to know people (at least to say hello to and chat with). At that point, it becomes easier to approach people.

limeydave

Jun 17, 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #15 of 16 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoes and chalk are all I used when I got back in after 5 years off.
~5months of bouldering in the gym 4 days a week and I felt I had enough back that I was going to enjoy the outdoor experience again without feeling like a hasbeen.
But that was me.

OP: Oh, and a dictionary - good luck climbing, but your spelling sucks monkey balls. Wink

dropkicked

Jun 18, 2007, 4:43 PM
Post #16 of 16 (773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockngeek wrote:
The problem/thing is that i dont have a climbing partner so thats something i guess i have to work on

( do you need a climbing partner in the gym)

Normally (at least at my gym) If you are polite in asking someone will give you a belay.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook