RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

chalkfree

Jun 21, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #1 of 7 (584 views)
Shortcut

Fall Factor Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It is generally accepted that the greatest fall factor that can occur is two. As I understand it fall factor is calculated by dividing length of fall by rope out. Thus the concept of letting the rope run that we have from the days of less than ideal ropes.

So what about a bigger than 2 fall? Say for hypothetical example that my partner is ten feet above me and hasn't clipped anything, I'm belaying off my harness, and while I am clipped to the anchor the rope runs from him to my belay device directly. He tells me he is about to pop, and thus I prepare to take some of the slack as he falls shortening his fall. So he falls and while he's dropping I manage to take a foot of rope in, so there are 9 feet of rope between us, when it's over he will have taken a 19 foot fall on 9 feet of rope for a factor 2.111111 fall.

Am I mistaken someplace here?

roy_hinkley_jr

Jun 21, 2007, 7:05 PM
Post #2 of 7 (552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalkfree] Fall Factor Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure, it's possible. Search rec.climbing for extensive discussions.

Also much higher fall factors are easily achieved on via ferrata, which is why special absorbers are required.

greenketch

Jun 21, 2007, 7:26 PM
Post #3 of 7 (536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally accepted is a good way to put it. It is possible to exceed FF of 2. As noted Via Ferrata goes there often and uses special absorbers to assist with the forces developed.

In trad or sport one will usually be 2 or less but in overhung or cave stuff it is easy to exceed. Especially as you noted when the belayer yards in (or runs) either of these are not "general practice". It is a good idea to seek guidance whenever one leaves the norm as forces outside the norm are sometimes involved.

papounet

Jun 21, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #4 of 7 (512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Fall Factor Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thus, you may want to leave a lot of slack to the leader until he as put the jesus nut to protect the belay.

Explanation:
the leader is 2 meter above the belay, he falls 4 m onto 2 m of rope =>ff=2

the leader is 2m above with 2 meter slack, he falls 6m onto 4m of rope ff= 1.5

There is nothing that inspires more the leader to put a jesus pro than a good deal of slack, if he complains, tells him it is the newest pedagogy, if he is angry show him the ledge (of course do this on routes with plenty of ledges Wink)

Partner cracklover

Jun 21, 2007, 8:37 PM
Post #5 of 7 (493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is generally accepted that the sky varies in color from blue, grey, or black.

Yet at sunset, it can be orange or red. Am I mistaken someplace?

GO

rocknice2

Jun 21, 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #6 of 7 (456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chalkfree wrote:
It is generally accepted that the greatest fall factor that can occur is two. As I understand it fall factor is calculated by dividing length of fall by rope out. Thus the concept of letting the rope run that we have from the days of less than ideal ropes.

So what about a bigger than 2 fall? Say for hypothetical example that my partner is ten feet above me and hasn't clipped anything, I'm belaying off my harness, and while I am clipped to the anchor the rope runs from him to my belay device directly. He tells me he is about to pop, and thus I prepare to take some of the slack as he falls shortening his fall. So he falls and while he's dropping I manage to take a foot of rope in, so there are 9 feet of rope between us, when it's over he will have taken a 19 foot fall on 9 feet of rope for a factor 2.111111 fall.

Am I mistaken someplace here?

Your right

curt

Jun 22, 2007, 6:34 AM
Post #7 of 7 (389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Fall Factor Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
It is generally accepted that the sky varies in color from blue, grey, or black.

Yet at sunset, it can be orange or red. Am I mistaken someplace?

GO

No. I think you got it.

Curt

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook