RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

fearlessclimber

Apr 23, 2007, 6:01 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2398 views)
Shortcut

BD Reactor Ice axes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone ever had these, just bought a set, i like the weight of them and they seem like they swing great. Ill be doing mixed WI and AI with them, anyone had them, did you like them?

tradmanclimbs

Apr 23, 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fearlessclimber] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't matter what i like, its what you like that is important. your the one climbing with them.

chossmonkey

Apr 23, 2007, 3:02 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to agree with Tradman.

It kinda seems like the type of question you should have been asking before you bought them. Now you just need to go use them and develop your own opinion.

natec

Apr 23, 2007, 3:58 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed with them this past season and I really like mine a lot. For what it's worth.

trebork2
Deleted

Apr 25, 2007, 1:45 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natec] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a pair. They are damn nice! I like them.

the_climber

Apr 25, 2007, 3:32 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trebork2] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have only climbed on them a couple times.

They seem to be quite a good tool, but I can say that if "I" were to climb with them I would need quite an adjustment period. They seem to swing good, but between the handle and the different geometry I found I pumped out way faster on them than my Taa-k-oon's or my Fly's. But that's just what "I" found... you might find you like them more than I did.

When it comes down to it, this really does seem to be a tool that prople either like A LOT or dislike A LOT. Like everyother tool out there it will WORK for anyone, but won't be FOR everyone.

Take it out on a good couple test runs BEFORE you commit to a big climb. That would be my advice.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Apr 25, 2007, 3:33 PM)

Partner taino

Apr 25, 2007, 3:44 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't like Black Diamond tools in general; the swing feels wrong to me. The sole exception seems to be the Cobras, and even then they have to be very well-tuned. However, I make it a point to try different tools whenever I can so that I can give a reasonably informed opinion.

I found that the swing was classic Black Diamond; either you like it, or you don't. The grips felt uncomfortable in my Cloudveil IceFlow gloves; almost like the handle was too large. It also felt a little slippery, but that might be because I'm used to Quarks. The biggest issue I had was with clearance - the secondary handle is so large that it can impede getting a solid placement in cauliflower ice or when moving up over bulges.

As others have mentioned, the time to ask these questions was before you bought them.

T

vdotmatrix

Jun 20, 2007, 3:37 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting point about the BD tools. I don't like the swing either. I tried a couple of BD tools last season. I suppose it takes time to study the geometry of ANY tool and map out what kind of mechanical swing you need to picture in your mind, to make the pick precisely impact the target. I watched Bayard swing them so nicely in a video while he climbed at Cathedral. It looked like he got some good head velocity with the tool. I tried them at Arathusa Falls and kept bashing the front part of the pick on the ice so it would sometimes BOUNCE off the ice. I saw this happen again and again; people bashing the ice. Wrong swing trajectory. i suppose if i had the tool at home and mapped out the tool and practiced the swing in my living room, to get a feel for trajectory and force, i or anyone , would adapt to any tool. I climb with the nomics. ooooo-la-la. There is a film about to tour the country and one of the trailers for the movie HIGHER GROUND, is some guy climbing Ames Ice Hose, solo, using the Petzl nomics. One remarkable, thing i noticed was the similar and familiar tool swing. I climbed with the Quarks, the ERGO and now the Nomics, and they have similar swing or pick position. Shoot, I digress from the subject.....

anykineclimb

Jun 20, 2007, 3:46 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vdotmatrix] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vdotmatrix wrote:
There is a film about to tour the country and one of the trailers for the movie HIGHER GROUND, is some guy climbing Ames Ice Hose, solo, using the Petzl nomics.

LOL

"some guy" well yeah, its GUY Lacelle

(This post was edited by anykineclimb on Jun 20, 2007, 3:48 AM)

vdotmatrix

Jun 20, 2007, 4:13 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anykineclimb wrote:
vdotmatrix wrote:
There is a film about to tour the country and one of the trailers for the movie HIGHER GROUND, is some guy climbing Ames Ice Hose, solo, using the Petzl nomics.

LOL

Thanks, Sorry Guy, Some great climber guy, Mr. Guy Lacelle

Partner kimgraves

Jun 22, 2007, 5:44 PM
Post #11 of 17 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vdotmatrix wrote:
Interesting point about the BD tools. I don't like the swing either. I tried a couple of BD tools last season. I suppose it takes time to study the geometry of ANY tool and map out what kind of mechanical swing you need to picture in your mind, to make the pick precisely impact the target. I watched Bayard swing them so nicely in a video while he climbed at Cathedral. It looked like he got some good head velocity with the tool. I tried them at Arathusa Falls and kept bashing the front part of the pick on the ice so it would sometimes BOUNCE off the ice. I saw this happen again and again; people bashing the ice. Wrong swing trajectory. i suppose if i had the tool at home and mapped out the tool and practiced the swing in my living room, to get a feel for trajectory and force, i or anyone , would adapt to any tool.

I think the BD axes, like the Chouinard pin hammer they descend from, have the balance of a heavy framing hammer. (Remember, Chouinard was a blacksmith.) If you've swung a hammer all day doing construction, you come to appreciate the efficiency of weight in the head. But they can be difficult to control, especially with your non-dominate hand, if you're not practiced. It takes a lot of practice to make precise swings - to control the weight - to give that little flick of your wrist at the end of the swing to set the tool precisely.

My partner Matt and I, when we went to buy tools, went and picked up everything we could find. Matt and I have done carpentry for 25 years each. The BD Vipers were the only tools that felt like the tools we were used to on the job-site. Coupled with a Fang and we've used them leash-less last season.

That said, we climb with a couple of people who are much better ice climbers than we are and they prefer other tools (Quarks, etc). But to us, those other tools feel like mush in our hand. In other words it's all about what works for you.

Best, Kim

(This post was edited by kimgraves on Jun 22, 2007, 5:47 PM)

thedejongs

Jun 22, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #12 of 17 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're interested in seeing an advance vid of the "some Guy" climbing the Ames Ice Hose, click right here:
http://www.alpinist.com/video/

Yesterday was summer solstice. Winter is on its way, now!

tradmanclimbs

Jun 22, 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #13 of 17 (1923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thedejongs] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Buying ice tools based on what works for a hotshot ropegun in a movie or add has little bearing on how you are going to climb with said tools. Get what works for YOU not what works for the advertisers. Its just like those victoria secret adds. Chances are pretty darn good that you ain't gonna look like the model no matter how much money you spendWink that being said the nomic and Quark tools are excelent as are the Vipers w/ fangs. the swings are quite diferent. 100% leashless may not be the best path for you. If you choose to use leashes part of the time the BD android leashes are much better than the CM Clipper leash. many harmen/women mount the BD android on their quarks.

stymingersfink

Jun 23, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #14 of 17 (1886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thedejongs] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thedejongs wrote:
Whoop! WHOOP!!!111Smile

anykineclimb

Jun 24, 2007, 1:57 AM
Post #15 of 17 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
thedejongs wrote:
Whoop! WHOOP!!!111Smile

I was thinking the same thing!! all downhill now!

furrymurry

Jul 7, 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #16 of 17 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Swung them this winter as was not impressed. Handle just felt weird. I climb leashless with Quarks.

Partner brent_e

Jul 12, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #17 of 17 (1628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] BD Reactor Ice axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anykineclimb wrote:
vdotmatrix wrote:

LOL

LaughLaughLaughLaugh

and not pronounced 'guy' but geeeeee

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook