Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ontario Climbers Please read this!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Oct 3, 2001, 6:26 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Ontario Climbers Please read this!  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Upper_Bridge_Bands: Hideout_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok guys, not sure how usefull you find the website right now, but I want to change all of that.

Here's what I want, and you guys can help me with.

1. Adding routes. I want to have this province be the most complete routes database on the site. I want every route from every tiny little area posted on here for people to use. I've added a tiny fraction but I'm going to need lot's of help.
Don't really feel like sitting down and plugging in some routes? How about just doing one or two every time you come on? Think about it, free route beta for the whole province, 1 source for sport, bouldering, trad and ice. No need for multiple (and expensive guidebooks). Once stop shopping.
I'd also like to get photos loaded for every crag, making it easier to find areas, so if you've got some shots of Nemo or Rattlesnake sitting around then submit them and link them to the apropriate areas.

2. Grabbing new users. More users means more people adding routes, more partners to hook up with, more options for road-trips, places to stay, first hand beta on new areas.
If your local gym or climbing store doesn't have a rockclimbing.com flyer then click here to download one in PDF format You'll also need the Adobe Acrobat Reader which you can get here (don't worry, it's free!)

3. Advertising. If you know of any climbing related company that would like to reach thousands of climbing users then tell them to contact us. For smaller companies we have excellent target advertisement options (see Halcyon ad in Ontario Routes section) at a great cost.
Know of a small climbing company that doesn't have a website? We'll set one up for them and hook them up with advertising.

Let's make this somewhat of a contest, get all the Ontario users we possibly can, using this website. See if we can't get our climbing community to represent on this site. C'mon guys, I need your help to make me look good here

Any questions or if you want to direct advertisers etc, then send them to fiend@rockclimbing.com or send me a private message.

downshift

Oct 3, 2001, 6:08 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Ontario Climbers Please read this! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in sounds good.

krillen

Oct 3, 2001, 7:06 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Already in the works man, I have requests into my climbing group for photos, and as soon as I get my mittens on an Escapment Guide book I can enter all the routes I've done (mostly Nemo, and Buffalo Crag, but also Metcalfe, and Lion's head) I'm just not sure of some of the names etc. right now.

Oh and I "should" (weather permitting) have some photos/beta for Devil's Glen in two weeks.

[ This Message was edited by: krillen on 2001-10-03 14:01 ]

c_plante

Oct 4, 2001, 9:12 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds great to me, I can barely afford this new fangled "oxeegen" that the government is so keen on taxing. So if I can download route info from a website that I acess from a free internet connection than all the better. 'Sides I've already added stuff.

Problem is I don't know how to rate bouldering runs, so if someone wants to go to kearns cliff with me, I'll show them where the climbs are and we can rate it.

downshift

Oct 5, 2001, 2:08 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok I've gotten a good start. I've update the info for Elora Gorge and Fraggle Rock. I have also added most known routes for those areas. c_plante and I are going to map out the crevasses at Sunset / Twiss, from what I know there are alot of decent routes in there. I'm going to start carrying my GPS and get co-ordiantes for the major areas as I go to them. As well, in the next month or so I'll clean up the northern ontario area and add what I know about Sudbury (I'll just need some help for my GF for directions and stuff).

passthepitonspete

Oct 10, 2001, 7:13 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Way back when (1980-82) John Kaandorp, Steve DeMaio and I developed a lot of crags (we were the first to rediscover Metcalfe and Old Baldy, not to mention Lion's Head) plus we did lots of odds and ends here and there, things that I'm not sure ever got recorded at places up on the Bruce Penninsula and stuff. I've got some old notes kicking around here somewhere that might be of use - email me and we'll talk. Cheers, "Pass the Pitons" Pete

c_plante

Oct 10, 2001, 8:10 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Passthepitonspete> any notes for the burlington/hamilton area?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook