Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beta Needed: Prescott AZ
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ja1484

Aug 19, 2007, 2:29 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Beta Needed: Prescott AZ  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Central: Granite_Mountain)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Guys.

Flying out to Prescott on the 30th of this month. First time to AZ. Going to be in Prescott for 2 months, working during the week, but weekends are wide wide open for climbing.

Already have guidebook.

Requesting beta on the following:

- Recommended areas/routes? Granite Mountain is on the list. What else is good?

- Areas to hook up with local climbers and find potential partners? Trad/Sport/Bouldering all acceptable.

- Any special gear recommendations? Bringing my own "standard" trad rack, but I dunno if there's anything special I should add to the list.

- Access issues that might not be in the guidebook?

Thanks in advance for help. If you're in the Prescott area and interested in partnering up on the weekends for most of Sept/Oct, send me a PM. Onsight sport to the low .11s and trad to .9

Thanks again.

climbsomething

Aug 19, 2007, 2:44 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Beta Needed: Prescott AZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:

- Recommended areas/routes? Granite Mountain is on the list. What else is good?
Yeah, Flagstaff Sly

I'm just biased. Prescott (say it Press-kit) has some goodies too. Watson Lake Dells, High Rappel Dells, Sullivan Canyon- primarily trad/TRs on quartz monzonite, QM and basalt; Promised Land- mostly sport on I forget what (right all?), and Groom Creek boulders, granite. There are some other local boulder fields too.

I've been to all but the Promised Land, but not enough to hook you up, really.

Prescott ain't bad but if you're in north-central AZ, you'd be remiss if you didn't come to Flag too. Sept-Oct is just gorgeous.

ja1484

Aug 19, 2007, 2:51 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Beta Needed: Prescott AZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not opposed to driving. Flagstaff is only ~2hrs. north right? That's no problem.

Beta on Flag also accepted.

climbsomething

Aug 19, 2007, 3:17 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Beta Needed: Prescott AZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
I'm not opposed to driving. Flagstaff is only ~2hrs. north right? That's no problem.

Beta on Flag also accepted.
Beta? So much Beta. Here's the condensed version.

It's all good. You like trad, and basalt, then go to Oak Creek Overlook (mostly 5.10 and under) or Paradise Forks (harder but some stuff in your given range. Can also be TRd with ease.) You like sport, we have the Pit (limestone), which is good for .10-.12 climbers. Get in line for Mr. Slate, 10b, and get somebody to take your photo at the roof, because that's required.

These are the major crags. Boulders, many and varied.

Prescott and Flag are closer to an hour and a half apart, I think. Good easy day trip.

pyrosis

Aug 19, 2007, 4:14 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Beta Needed: Prescott AZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Granite Mountain and Paradise Forks should not be missed, and in two months you'll never be able to send all the classics at these two areas. The overlook is ok for moderate cracks but nothing compared to the forks. The pit is great for a day or two but not really a destination area. Also, don't miss Groom Creek for great grey granite bouldering, nor the Priest Draw up in Flag for uniquely powerful limestone roofs. Sullivan Canyon and the Promised Land are sure to be broiling hot these days.

just my $.02

Sullivan Canyon is sure to be roasting these days.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook