Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Real Directions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gigz5

Aug 26, 2007, 6:55 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3315 views)
Shortcut

Real Directions?  (North_America: United_States: Ohio: Northeast_Ohio: Whipps_Ledges)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Please either update the directions on this page or take the current one off. We've got people burning holes in the ozone with the amount of gas they're burning looking for some non-existing signs for whipps ledges on 606. When I say people, I mean me. If anybody has actual directions could you please let know, thanks.

dani32

Aug 27, 2007, 1:35 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gigz5] Real Directions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel your pain gigz. The whipps ledges are nowhere near 94 or 606. You could drive up and down 94 and 606 for years and never find whipps. I don't know who put those directions up there, I feel bad for people who arn't from around here and are using this site to tell them where to go. Especially when the actual directions are so simple.

going west on 303, turn left onto STATE RD, go strait until you hit rt 44, turn RIGHT on 44, now follow the signs.

If you're coming north from I-271 on 94 north, turn right on STATE RD and proceed as stated above.

Have fun gigz!

(I also would like to say that I hope at some point the climbing community can get together and do something about this REDICULOUS permit thing proving liability insurance. I am from MT so maybe I'm just a crazy outsider, but having to have liability insuance to go rock climing makes me want to puke. It goes against everything about being in the outdoors and climbing. One of the last true freedoms, to leave all behind and rely soley on self relience out from under anyones authority except natures, to test yourself as a person and injoy this awsome earth.

Hold on, let me call state farm and see what kind of policy i can get that will allow me to climb and then go to the park office and beg for their permission to do something NO PERSON has the right to control. Whats next, 70 year old congresman deciding who gets to climb MT Hood?
Hopefully somebody who might have a say in this matter will actually think about it and do something, or we get enough people together to have a voice to stop goverment control of climbing. My guess is, this will never change and anybody who is reading this is saying "calm down man, its not that big of deal" and you're probably right. It still pisses me off to think that some smug fatass in a park uniform is deciding whether or not we get to climb on Gods rock, or Evalutions rock depending what you believe, but either way, its not fatass park person's rock.

Climb free and respect the earth. Peace.

dreday3000

Aug 27, 2007, 3:21 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dani32] Real Directions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you kidding me, that is retarded! Is this normal? Are there any other places out there where this is an issue, cause I have never come across it.

Retarded.

dani32

Aug 27, 2007, 4:08 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Real Directions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know it blows my mind. This is the only place in the world that I know of to have something like this, it's laughable. The sad part is that with very few options for rockclimbing locations in ohio, this is the best area. We've had to resort to going in at night after the park is closed with batery powered halogen lights. Which is actually pretty fun, but it is a bigger pain in the ass. All we want to do is ckimb!! Thats it!! Climb on rocks!!! How do insurance agencies have anything to do with that.

Where are you from?

dani32

Aug 27, 2007, 4:14 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in Maryland I mean?

dreday3000

Aug 27, 2007, 1:42 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Bethesda. Not great for climbing. We have Carderock and greatfalls which are top roping areas. I really don't like top roping but it does in a pinch. Mostly we take weekend trips to the New and Seneca. 6 and 3 hours respectively.

Aside from this Nazi area., you guys in Ohio seem to have it pretty good. Reasonably close to the New and the Red right?

So you climb at night to avoid the park service? Don't the lights attract attention?

I have done that a bit myself, its pretty fun really. Spent a few weeks in Potrero during the summer. It was hot during the day so we hooked up a generator and climbed at night. Pretty fun. Check it out:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos/Sport/Andre_Dahlman_on_Surfer_Rosa_13a_75528.html

mojomonkey

Aug 28, 2007, 5:48 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Real Directions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was back in Ohio to visit family and climbed there without bothering about a permit. Seems silly that I can go hike through the dessert and in Las Vegas without issue, but need to jump through hoops for the little bit of rock available in Ohio...

shaylily

Aug 28, 2007, 5:55 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Real Directions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You forgot the best part - you only need to have a permit if you are using gear. Yep, any fool can free solo and get stuck at the top of a free standing chunk of rock or fall off of the face. My partner had to resue one of those idiots a few weeks ago.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook