RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

prusik123

Oct 1, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4721 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by prusik123
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

kimsismour

Oct 1, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [prusik123] New Pittsburgh Climbing Shop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another gear shop in the pittsburgh area would be great!!! There is only one real gear shop located in monroeville, and they carry more than just climbing gear. It would be nice to have some competition in the area. Although beating their customer service is going to be a tough battle. Good Luck on your future endeavors!!

microbarn

Oct 1, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There have been a LOT of climbing shops going out of business in the pgh area over the last couple of years. This tells me that the market probably isn't big enough to support a new one. EMS just gave up recently.

REI and Exkursion are two good shops. Exkursion is going to be impossible to beat on knowledge and helpfulness. You could hope to match them though. I understand "the climbing wall" is investigating selling a few items inside of their gym. You would be a competitor with all of those stores I think.

Personally, I would love to see another shop, but it would be sad if you ended up closing shortly thereafter. The climbing market in pittsburgh just isn't very large.

markc

Oct 1, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I won't beat around the bush. I shop almost exclusively at Exkursion. There have been a number of independent shops and larger retailers in the area over the years, and none get much of my business. Fred and Susan are friends, as are many of their employees. You'd be hard-pressed to find more knowledgeable, friendly folks.

prusik123

Oct 1, 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] New Pittsburgh Climbing Shop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your quick replies. I am very familiar with the past and present climbing shop situations. I feel EMS did not cut it with knowledge or product selection. I am familiar with Exkursion and agree that they have fantastic customer service. I am not looking to drive any one out of business or do anything other than try and instill more of a sense of outdoor community in the area with a friendly environment, knowledgeable staff, and passion for climbing. I would really appreciate more input.

stagg54

Oct 1, 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] New Pittsburgh Climbing Shop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:

REI and Exkursion are two good shops.

REI and Exkursion are not even in the same league. The people at REI have no clue. They recommend climbing gear based on whether the color matches your nice new prana jacket.

You'll definitely be able to compete with REI, but its a tough market. All of the noobs and wanna be climbers go to REI because of the pretty clothes. Exkursions gets all of the experienced people.

Good luck

charley

Oct 2, 2007, 1:15 AM
Post #7 of 7 (4652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you know about exkursions you they are good and knowledgable ppl. Their prices are competetive and customer service is tops. Mountain dreams for whatever reason couldn't make it. Maybe it was the flood. Rei and Ems don't even count as gear shops.
What side of pburgh you are in may make a difference. You would need to advertise a lot even meadville, erie, and youngstown.
I would guess that there are maybe a hundred climbers in the burgh you could double that if you go out aways. How many of them are like me and have rack, rope, shoes, harness, most everything. I get a pair of shoes every few years, thre same with rope, harness, ect. I don't buy much anymore.
You might try working through the colleges in the area because they get new ppl climbing every year. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook