Anyone a builder......

imnotclever

Oct 17, 2007, 6:50 PM
Post #2 of 10 (430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] New concret forms... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Only an architect could write this crap. I couldn't read all of it.

In reply to:
In this investigation we have focused on the development of concrete masonry units within this context. Our premise was to evaluate the virtues and deficiencies of concrete block and its full life-cycle, identify specific pragmatic changes that could occur, and conduct physical design research within new pragmatic limits. Guided by these limits, we have strived to improve upon the performance and character of concrete block.

The audience for this research is production companies interested in refining their product for economic and ecological reasons, governmental agencies interested in a holistic view of industrial evolution, and specifiers (builders, architects, designers) interested in a wall with more integrity, efficiency and life; one that might offer a maximum of effect with a minimum of means.

Just say: look we've made a new CMU.

And I'll say, oh (yawn) does it meet ASTM C90?

microbarn

Oct 17, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #3 of 10 (404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imnotclever] New concret forms... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

imnotclever wrote:
Only an architect could write this crap. I couldn't read all of it.

In reply to:
In this investigation we have focused on the development of concrete masonry units within this context. Our premise was to evaluate the virtues and deficiencies of concrete block and its full life-cycle, identify specific pragmatic changes that could occur, and conduct physical design research within new pragmatic limits. Guided by these limits, we have strived to improve upon the performance and character of concrete block.

The audience for this research is production companies interested in refining their product for economic and ecological reasons, governmental agencies interested in a holistic view of industrial evolution, and specifiers (builders, architects, designers) interested in a wall with more integrity, efficiency and life; one that might offer a maximum of effect with a minimum of means.

you don't like our cement block of a building?

imnotclever

Oct 17, 2007, 9:07 PM
Post #4 of 10 (398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] New concret forms... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They're talking about masonry. These guys say rock faced block and though what other shapes could we make.

But they couldn't say it like that, because they're architects, so you get that gobbly gook crap that I quoted.

Looks like your building is cast in place concrete or precast concrete.

microbarn

Oct 17, 2007, 9:16 PM
Post #5 of 10 (392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your first post referenced CMU.

In my vocabulary
CMU=Carnegie Mellon University

Additionally, CMU has one building (pictured) that is a block of cement with one classroom hanging off the side like a booger. It is horrible looking from an architect's point of view. So, I was just making a joke on that tangent.

Partner philbox

Oct 17, 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #6 of 10 (379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] New concret forms... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Huh, looks more like a stairwell hanging off the side of the building like a booger.

justroberto

Oct 19, 2007, 1:06 PM
Post #7 of 10 (325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

imnotclever wrote:
These guys say rock faced block and though what other shapes could we make.
Huh? I don't know what to make of this gobbly-gook.

In reply to:
But they couldn't say it like that, because they're architects, so you get that gobbly gook crap that I quoted.
It seems pretty straightforward and easy to understand to me.

In reply to:
Well, they've pretty clearly stated that they're looking to develop a cmu that's more interesting, of equal or better structural integrity, and doesn't use portland cement.
In reply to:
I'm not terribly familiar with all of C90, but couldn't any manufacturer couldn't make it happen, considering the length and height are standard, there's no web or face shell to measure, and they'd just have to worry about compressive tests, weight, and making sure the dimensions from one block are within 1/8" of any other block?

Of course, just about any contractor would bitch and moan about having to put a wall together with this stuff. The form is no great technical innovation, but it's no worse than most of the split face block to come out in the last 50 years. Plus, it could make for some interesting buildering...

chadnsc

Oct 19, 2007, 3:07 PM
Post #8 of 10 (306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

imnotclever wrote:
They're talking about masonry. These guys say rock faced block and though what other shapes could we make.

Looks like your building is cast in place concrete or precast concrete.

I don't think they couldn't say it like that because their architects. They wouldn't say it like that because they are a group of people who need to prove their intelligence by attempting to reinvent and improve a product that has been around for over 2,000 years. Unfortunately many of the masonry shapes that the firm is proposing have already been produced in the 60's. Production of these masonry shapes where stopped due to poor structural stability, difficulties in assembly, high cost, and their tendency to collect water. Not to mention that the masonry shapes where viewed as being a fad that would easily date a building.

Being an architect myself I often find that people in my field who work hard to reinvent the wheel fall into two categories; A truly visionary architect, or someone with a low self image who bases their self worth on their career. Unfortunately most fall into the second category.

imnotclever

Oct 19, 2007, 3:18 PM
Post #9 of 10 (303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] New concret forms... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TYPICAL architect.

Here let me fix this for you:
imnotclever wrote:
These guys saw rock faced block and thought what other shapes could we make.

Anyway, if it's not hollow core, it'd be only a replacement for brick. That is non-structural, a facing only. Looks like it might be hollow core.

As for the buildering, I don't know about that either, some of the shapes look too easy and some look to hard, might work.

imnotclever

Oct 19, 2007, 3:31 PM
Post #10 of 10 (301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah Chad, you're right on.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me: