Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

the_leech

Jan 10, 2008, 6:34 PM
Post #26 of 56 (8806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:
I remember reading the results of some EDK roll tests that were posted on this site....probably within the last year. This was not long after the EDK had received much press in at least 2, if not more, accidents. In one accident (perhaps the Zion event that folks are referring too), the joined ropes had the knot come apart. Preliminary reports were that the knot was EDK, but perhaps not. Anyhow.

The upshot of the tests (multiple trials) were that the EDK was totally unpredictable in the amount of rolling that occurred. In one trial, it rolled twice before it seized hard. In another trial it rolled like 5 times, coming very close to the end of their tails (which were reasonably long, but probably 8" or less).

The conclusion of the testers upon completion, was that the EDK was unpredictable enough to be discarded as a regularly used knot.

I'll look around for that post where the test results were displayed. In any case, my memory serves accurately (for my person), so I don't need to re-read it to for myself. If anyone else has it, you might post it here for others to review.

Hippie,

Perhaps now would be a good time to gather some mushrooms and hang out by the river with your family.

You can report back once you have something useful to say.

Tree_wrangler

Jan 10, 2008, 6:35 PM
Post #27 of 56 (8806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll try to fix the link?

I'm not exactly disagreeing with you.....but I've yet to see any review of the knot declare it to be failproof.

But then....what is when you consider the human component?

I guess, for me.....I'd consider it a tool in the toolbox, but I'm not going to show a beginner how to tie it while extolling it's virtues....

aerili

Jan 10, 2008, 6:35 PM
Post #28 of 56 (8806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Magazines are supposed to be authorities and definers

Who told you such nonsense?

Tree_wrangler

Jan 10, 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #29 of 56 (8797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't get that link to work....totally weird.

It was copied from the "more on the ultimate abseil knot" thread. It is posted as a working link there if you're interested. I give up.

Tree_wrangler

Jan 10, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #30 of 56 (8795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_leech] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hippie,

Perhaps now would be a good time to gather some mushrooms and hang out by the river with your family.

I did. You should experiment with being useful. I think it might be a much needed life-change for you. Better than the human door-stop that you are.

the_leech

Jan 10, 2008, 6:47 PM
Post #31 of 56 (8801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:
In reply to:
Hippie,

I did. You should experiment with being useful. I think it might be a much needed life-change for you. Better than the human door-stop that you are.

Shhhhh...

Hippie, relax.

This is The Lab. Not the place for name calling.

Stick to the facts about the topic at hand. That is, if you can provide any.

boku

Jan 10, 2008, 6:49 PM
Post #32 of 56 (8794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:
...EDK w/ wet ropes....knot rolls indefinitely and comes undone...

That test, I believe number 17 in Moyer's sequence, featured wet ropes with a relatively wide disparity between the diameters (11mm vs 8mm - think gym rope plus tag line).

That particular test of that sequence is one of the reasons I:

* Look somewhat askance at EDKing ropes more than a few mm difference (10mm and 8mm is my personal limit)

* Leave lots of tail (generally around 50 diameters)

* Dress the knot carefully (no crossing strands)

* Use extra care with wet ropes

Thanks, Bob K.

(This post was edited by boku on Jan 10, 2008, 6:52 PM)

Tree_wrangler

Jan 10, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #33 of 56 (8793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Stick to the facts about the topic at hand. That is, if you can provide any.

I already did. How 'bout you? Are going to present anything relevant to the topic at all? Or are you just here to irritate me?

I dig your humor. Really.

the_leech

Jan 10, 2008, 6:58 PM
Post #34 of 56 (8782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:
...are you just here to irritate me?

Don't be so narcissistic, hippie.

This isn't just about you.

Tree_wrangler

Jan 10, 2008, 7:02 PM
Post #35 of 56 (8771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok. You win. Congratulations.

jt512

Jan 10, 2008, 7:05 PM
Post #36 of 56 (8766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:

I'm not exactly disagreeing with you.....but I've yet to see any review of the knot declare it to be failproof.

That is the very report that convinced me to switch to the EDK (overhand) for my default rappel knot. When the knot is tied properly it doesn't even roll under loads that it would be subjected to on a rappel. If it is tied badly it rolls, but tightens as it rolls, so that with standard 18-inch tails it has the same strength as when the knot is tied well. The only test in the report where the knot performed questionably is when it was tied in wet ropes of significantly different diameter, but even then it failed at > 1400 lb, a greater load then it would be subjected to on a rappel.

The one failure of the knot in the field noted in the report was in a knot that Gumby #1 untied and retied for no apparent reason, leaving only 6- to 8-in tails, and which looked "loose" to Gumby #2. In spite of the knot failing visual inspection Gumby #2 rapped on it anyway, and it failed. Hell, even the rangers who were called in used EDKs on the rescue.

Jay

Tree_wrangler

Jan 10, 2008, 7:09 PM
Post #37 of 56 (8761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds good.

ja1484

Jan 11, 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #38 of 56 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Tree_wrangler wrote:

That is the very report that convinced me to switch to the EDK (overhand) for my default rappel knot. When the knot is tied properly it doesn't even roll under loads that it would be subjected to on a rappel. If it is tied badly it rolls, but tightens as it rolls, so that with standard 18-inch tails it has the same strength as when the knot is tied well. The only test in the report where the knot performed questionably is when it was tied in wet ropes of significantly different diameter, but even then it failed at > 1400 lb, a greater load then it would be subjected to on a rappel.

The one failure of the knot in the field noted in the report was in a knot that Gumby #1 untied and retied for no apparent reason, leaving only 6- to 8-in tails, and which looked "loose" to Gumby #2. In spite of the knot failing visual inspection Gumby #2 rapped on it anyway, and it failed. Hell, even the rangers who were called in used EDKs on the rescue.

Jay

Per usual, stupidity and bad decisions get people hurt. That's pretty much the way all these stories end.

healyje

Jan 11, 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #39 of 56 (8699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobruef] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In thirty four years of using the double fishermans I've never gotten a rope stuck using it, but I'm pretty careful about where and how ropes run when rappelling. That said, I will switch do a well-dressed, long-tailed overhand when in places like Red Rocks and the rap isn't clean - otherwise I stay with the DF which has no concerns beyond those of getting stuck. Rapping and pulling ropes, while fraught with a bunch of non-deterministic aspects no matter what you do, still embodies some skills. Paying careful attention to how you set one up, where the rope and knot lays, etc. can make all the difference in the world. Carelessness in the lay of the rope and rope path at the top of the rappel can easily offset any advantages gained in using an overhand, or any other, knot.

kiwiprincess

Jan 11, 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #40 of 56 (8690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I originally used the Double fishermans but after having a few problems have been using an overhand (EDK) for a few years.

Since I had heard warnings of slippage I always veer on the cautious side
- Pull it tight, have long tags( 30-40cm) and put stopper knots just incase. And I always check it when I pull the rope. I have only ever had slippage on different diameter ropes and only about 4 cm.
We have even rapp bolted our way down a new route (1 person cleaning 1 bolting) with a person on each strand.
I have Found it to be the least likely to get snagged, and quick and easy to use.

knudenoggin

Jan 11, 2008, 6:44 AM
Post #41 of 56 (8639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

An old topic, but still with many facets not recognized (and the same,
simpler questions, arguments, & myths rise again) ...

1.) "EDK" has some ambiguity--between the Fig.8 & Overhand versions.
The Real(tm) "EDK" is the Offset Ring Bend (Water knot); the Offset
Fig.8 bend has been wrongly guessed as being a half-turn better (in
American thinking: more is better)--but it's worse. (The Mt.Zion tragedy
was presumed to be with an Offset Fig.8 bend, and very stiff rope(s).)

2.) Moyer doesn't depict the actual geometry of the tested knots,
and there are subtleties therein yet to be well explored. --to wit:

2.b) In the case of different-dia. ropes (climbing & haul lines),
which rope is it that (first) chokes the "live" ends, and so first resists
being pried apart? (I submit that it should be the thinner or more
flexible
rope--with a probable security advantage over equal size!)

2.c) How is the knot oriented (which way do the tails point)? Under
light tension, one can rotate the knot body (as it, e.g., is drawn taut
against a surface) over a range of about 180degrees--from the extremes
where the 1st-choking rope (see 2.a) makes a backwards arc and its
twin a forwards arc, to vice versa, with the mid-range position (which
might be the worst, re rolling/flyping) seeing each rope abut the other
and arc perpendicular to the axis of tension, then turn.

3.) Note that in Tom Moyer's testing, the lowest force at which any
"well dressed but not well pre-tensioned"
knot (Offset-8 or ORB)
rolled is over 250#! That means 500# load on the rap's twin ropes.
For better set knots, the figure of initial flype is much greater, way
beyond reasonable abseil forces. I.p., test #17 of mixed-dia wet ropes
registered 950# for its first capsizing, and the human body cannot well
endure the implied 1800# force.

4.) All that said for Moyer's results, they are just that: HIS particular
materials, knotting, and slow-pull loading. This last aspect might suggest
that on an actual, dead-weight-induced flype, the result would be more
of a "shock"/sudden peak loading than the presumably slow build-up
done by a test machine, so run-on behavior after a capsize could be
worse than his results!? --different exact loading, anyway.

5.) I think that these offset bends will see their worst behavior
(i.e., are most vulnerable to flyping) in stiff, stretchy ropes,
and with the thicker one (if diff.dia.s) making the initial choke,
AND with the arcing-perpendicular knot-body orientation (in this case,
the ends tend to lie parallel with the ropes).

6.) Each climber should be able to take her own particular ropes
and test the knot(s) with some force-increasing mechanism (use a 'biner
for a cheap pulley). Just loading the knot single-strand, after all, is
roughly doubling the expected force; bouncing on it and doing so with
a pulley advantage further loads it.

7.) It's simple to secure the ORB: tie off the end of the thinner, or
initial-choking rope around the other end, snug against the body.
(This should be as effective and less bulky than that Needlesports
solution of tying an entire 2nd Overhand in both ropes.) Or make
a FULL wrap of the live ends with the initial-choking rope (i.e., go
around the ends 1 extra turn before tucking it out with the other end).

The R&I knots article was quite disappointing, especially given the grand
promise of its title hype. I've seen since then a couple other articles re
knots written by maybe the same guy there, and they had problems, too.

*kN*

curtis_g

Jan 11, 2008, 7:35 AM
Post #42 of 56 (8634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What ever happened to "the guy that showed me had been climbing for awhile and he's still alive," being a good enough statement to end an argument with a mutual shrug of the shoulders?

Partner rgold

Jan 11, 2008, 6:26 PM
Post #43 of 56 (8593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree Wrangler wrote:
The upshot of the tests (multiple trials) were that the EDK was totally unpredictable in the amount of rolling that occurred. In one trial, it rolled twice before it seized hard. In another trial it rolled like 5 times, coming very close to the end of their tails (which were reasonably long, but probably 8" or less).

In my opinion, this constitutes a misreading of Moyers tests. I do hope that anyone who wants to argue with this perspective will read the comments below carefully before responding. We get into these pickles because people don't take the time required to understand complex issues.

Moyers did 17 slow-pull tests on two versions of the EDK, the figure-8 version and the overhand version. The figure-8 version proved unreliable, leaving 6 tests on the EDK. Of these 6 tests, 4 were well-dressed and pretensioned, and 2 were on ropes of the same diameter. Of the two on ropes of the same diameter, only one was on dynamic ropes. So all the so-called variability and uncertainty are artifacts of the broad scope of the testing rather than any feature of the knot---as it is typically used---that could be detected by these tests.

Note that in order to achieve any of the knot loads reported by Moyers, the corresponding load to the rappel rope must be double Moyers knot load, and more or less constantly double Moyers knot load in order to correspond to the slow-pull testing method.

Only one of Moyers 17 test involves a properly tied overhand EDK on dynamic ropes of the same diameter. In that test the knot rolled at 1400 pounds, a level that is unachievable under any rappelling circumstances, and the rope broke at 2070 lbf.

In the second of the two tests of a properly tied EDK in two ropes of the same diameter, two static ropes were used and the EDK did not roll and broke at 2170 lbf.

Moyers also performed two tests of the EDK for two ropes of unequal diameter, specifically an 11mm dynamic rope and an 8mm static rope. One test was with dry ropes and one with wet ropes. As KnudeNoggin has explained several times now in different threads, there are two ways to tie the overhand EDK in different diameter ropes, one of which is likely to be less resistant to rolling than the same-diameter knot. Unfortunately, we don't know which configuration Moyers tested, but his dry rope result was rolling at 1230 lbf, again a level that cannot be achieved by rappelling, with the 8mm line breaking at 1770 lbf. His wet rope result was 950 lbf, which is extremely unlikely, if not unachievable by rappelling.

For those who are skeptical about this last claim, let me offer a quantified argument. Remember that the load to the rappel ropes has to be double the knot load, so the rappeller would have to produce 1900 lbf in order to load the knot with 950 lbf. Since the peak tension in a fall arrested by double ropes is about 40% higher than the tension that would occur if a single rope arrested the same fall, we are speaking here of a fall that would result in a peak load of 1360 lbf or about 6 kN if arrested by a single rope.

Let's say that our rope has a UIAA rating of 10 kN (which is higher than most ropes, but allows for the stiffening that is part of the aging process). Then fall factor required to load the knot with 950 lbf is about 0.6. To fall on rappel, the rappeller has to somehow accumulate slack and then drop. If the rappeller has rappelled a distance D feet from the anchor, stops on a ledge, and somehow contrives to pull up and through the rappel device S feet of slack, then a fall factor of 0.6 corresponds to the slack equation S=1.5D; you have to pull up and through the rappel device 50% more slack than your distance from the anchor in order to provide an instantaneous peak load to the anchor of 950 lbf, a load which caused the knot to roll in unequal diameter wet ropes under slow-pull conditions.

From this I would say that the very worst of Moyers tests, unequal diameter wet ropes joined by an overhand EDK that might possibly be tied the wrong way, although properly dressed and tensioned, produced rolling that cannot be achieved under any normal rappelling situations.

A qualification is in order: you could manage this by being 1 foot from the anchor and falling with 6 inches of slack. We don't know whether an instantaneous peak load will have the same effect on rolling as a more-or-less constantly applied slow-pull load; I would think not, but if so than here is a reason to have sufficiently long tails. It took 1300 lbf to roll the knot again, and this cannot be achieved by a rappeller.

No tests with so few trials can be considered to confirm the safety of a knot. As far as I know, such tests have never been performed on any knot. But we can say that there is nothing in Moyers tests to indicate any safety concerns about the a properly dressed and tensioned EDK for ordinary rappelling, especially in two ropes of the same diameter but even in the case of wet unequal diameter ropes.

Tree Wrangler wrote:
The conclusion of the testers upon completion, was that the EDK was unpredictable enough to be discarded as a regularly used knot.

I think Tree is remembering---well, misremembering---the parts that help to confirm the conclusion he has already reached. The part of Moyers report that I can find is his reponse to the claim that the data shows the EDK is safe:

Tom Moyers wrote:
There's an enormous variability in the force it takes to start flipping the knot. I have no confidence that I've fully explored the parameters that affect the flipping, or that one test for each set of parameters creates much statistical confidence in the answer. As someone said, "it's not the average that's the concern, it's the standard deviation." What I do know is that I didn't find any combinations of factors for a well-dressed, well-preloaded, flat-overhand or flat-figure-eight knot with sufficient tails that would cause failure at less than body weight. I also know that millions of rappels have taken place on these knots without failures. I suspect that in each of the four accidents I mentioned above, the knots were too loose and the tails were too short, but it's also possible that they simply found a combination of rope sizes and conditions that doesn't hold as well as the ropes that I tested.

Note that three of the four accidents involved the definitely discredited figure-8 version, and the one EDK accident (the only one that I know of that has ever been reported) involved some strange circumstances in which the knot was undone and retied for some reason just before it failed. Moreover, it is important to note that Moyers' tests do not contain any evidence of high variability in rolling loads for the properly dressed and tensioned overhand EDK. The variability he describes may or may not be an artifact of the range of testing situations he employed, but there aren't enough trials on the cases relevant to proper practice to tell anything about variability there. In other words, variability may be a problem, as it always is with so few trials, but one cannot take the variation in the extremely different testing circumstances as evidence for unseen variability in the relevant tests.

Trying to find something in Moyers that confirms Tree's recollection, we also have:
Tom Moyers wrote:
I think to use them for a rescue lowering or belay is to invite an accident. There are a few rescue teams who use them for lowering, and they have had no accidents yet that I know of. One team that I spoke to about my testing has now changed their protocols and discontinued their use of the knot.

In the rescue situation, two strands are not bearing the load and there can be two, perhaps three people plus a stretcher hanging on the rope, which will probably be a static rope and so capable of producing much higher forces if slack accumulates and there is a drop. I can't see that this situation is one that bears on climbing practice. If we adopted the rescue perspective, we'd probably have to conclude that none of our belay devices are safe, for example.

Others have tested the EDK. No one that I have heard of has found any failure issues of concern for rappelling as it is done by climbing parties, as long as the knot is properly dressed and tensioned.

The one lesson we've learned from Moyers tests is that the rolling threshold for the EDK is far more sensitive to poor tying than the breaking threshold of the double fisherman's knot. But as long as climbers are aware of that sensitivity and are diligent about tying, I can't see any reason to view the EDK as unsafe, but I'll let Moyers have the last word here:

Tom Moyers wrote:
I have personally used the flat-overhand on some rappels where I thought pulling the ropes across an edge might cause problems. Otherwise, I use a figure-eight follow-through knot with grapevine safeties. Most of the people I know use the flat-overhand, including Chris Harmston, who co-wrote the high-strength cord paper with me. I don't believe the flat-overhand will ever fail under body weight if it is tied well.

mheyman

Jan 12, 2008, 8:52 PM
Post #44 of 56 (8531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:
In reply to:
I believe that 8" tails is unreasonably short for an EDK in ~ 10mm rope. I'd use 18" tails, and accept no less than 12".

Sounds fine.....I'm not for or against the knot (disclaimer)

Here's the test I remembered.

http://www.xmission.com/...yer/testing/EDK.html

Quick summary (I didn't carefully pore through it)

EDK w/ dry ropes....knot held, ropes broke at a wide spread of pulls, during multiple tests. Anywhere from 1400-2100 lbs.

EDK w/ wet ropes....knot rolls indefinitely and comes undone.

(just for perspective)

Double Fishermans....ropes break at over 2500 lbs, even when tied improperly or ropes are wet.

I'm sure there is more out there. I'll let y'all decide for yourselves, but one thing is certain: The results are far from conclusive, and the EDK does not appear to be totally failproof. What that means in the real world is hard to say.

Not a very good summary, Toms test data supports the use of the EDK,

TM used only 12" tails and the only roll failure was with 8mm and 11mm wet ropes in one knot. For anyone who does not remember this, it is not a good idea to use ropes of very different diameters in a EDK.

(This post was edited by mheyman on Jan 12, 2008, 8:53 PM)

quiteatingmysteak

Jan 12, 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #45 of 56 (8513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

R & I has the same authority to post a "Best knots to use for rappels" as VH1 has to post "100 Best songs of the 90's."

I don't own a lab or a transmogrifier, what I know is only from experience. I was taught many years ago that Dub fissuremangs is the absolute safest. About two years ago I did a bit of climbing with a old fart hard man who used 18" tails on a EDK. Before than, I would routinely say a short prayer to saint hoochie coochie to keep the huge dubble fishars from snagging on the most miniscue of ungulations or offsets in a crack. Haven't snagged yet since switching... never using anything but the EDK.

There are a lot of ways to die on a wall. One of them is trying to free a line LaughLaugh

knudenoggin

Jan 13, 2008, 6:33 AM
Post #46 of 56 (8483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
In my opinion, this constitutes a misreading of Moyers tests. I do hope that anyone who wants to argue with this perspective will read the comments below carefully before responding. We get into these pickles because people don't take the time required to understand complex issues.
Amen!
Some of the mis-reading betrays lame thinking, as well, which is surprising.

In reply to:
Note that in order to achieve any of the knot loads reported by Moyers, the corresponding load to the rappel rope must be double Moyers knot load, and more or less constantly double Moyers knot load in order to correspond to the slow-pull testing method.
The "double" aspect speaks to the safety of the Offset bends in abseiling.
The "constant load" should raise a question about more sudden loading;
but we have some evidence of the myth of "shock loading" via Jim Ewing's
testing done on anchors for John Long's book. But in any case, except for
deliberately poorly tied Offset Ring Bends (EDK-Oh), the forces at which
something might happen appear to be well greater than rappels generate.
(And beyond Moyer's testing--and some others--, there is a long history
of safe useage. The 1997-09-19 injury of Karen Turk remains a disturbing
mystery.)

In reply to:
... involves a properly tied overhand EDK ...
NB: What is continually ignored is that, lacking good images of the exact
tested knots, we have little idea of the knot geometries at issue.

In reply to:
... tests of the EDK for two ropes of unequal diameter, specifically an 11mm dynamic rope and an 8mm static rope. One test was with dry ropes and one with wet ropes. As KnudeNoggin has explained several times now in different threads, there are two ways to tie the overhand EDK in different diameter ropes, one of which is likely to be less resistant to rolling than the same-diameter knot. Unfortunately, we don't know which configuration Moyer[] tested, but his dry rope result was rolling at 1230 lbf, again a level that cannot be achieved by rappelling, with the 8mm line breaking at 1770 lbf. His wet rope result was 950 lbf, which is extremely unlikely, if not unachievable by rappelling.
To be more precise: mixed-nature (dia., flexibility, surface friction) ropes
add two orientations for each of already approx. THREE. (2x3=6)

The "three" are the two extremes plus the center orientation of the 180deg.
range that these offset knots can be "dialed": the ropes resp. arcing
forward/backward, or equally perpendicularly; the visual cue from the knot
being resp. the ends exiting perpendicular (extremes) or parallel (middle).

Consider Moyer's page's greyscale image at www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/knots_EDK.jpg.

First, let's correct its (mis)dressing: that lighter-grey rope end (top)
should be pulled rightwards behind its twin, and in further setting pulled
more towards the viewer, with the darker (and now left) one pulled more
upwards. This *embeds* the light strand against the draw of the loaded
parts, which will work to rotate the ends anticlockwise as shown.
(Btw, in mis-matched ropes, the lighter strand--which makes the initial
choke and is what should be set to well resist prying forces--should be
the smaller/more-flexible/(? &)slicker; it should be the haul line. Yes,
this should result in a weaker knot--but one that does NOT flype!
("weaker" only to a test device; of equal, non-breaking strength in practice))

Now, to explain about the orientations within-180deg-range I've noted.
As illustrated, if the ends of Moyer's knot-image are pulled apart left/right,
the initial arcs of the ropes are perpendicular; this is the "mid-range" one.
The extreme/ends-of-range cases have resp. one or the other rope pulled
towards the viewer, away from the viewer. E.g., bring the left, lighter
live end AT you, pull the darker one away, and you see the arcs of the
ropes going away from your view--a forward arcing for left/lighter rope,
a looping arc for the right/darker one; ends exit perpendicularly right.
(Without great effort on a not-heavily-set knot, one can re-set it into
any of these orientations, and some in-between positions.

In reply to:
From this I would say that the very worst of Moyer[']s tests, ...
... one still cannot see the behavior reported for the Karen Turk case!!
I.e., in none of Moyer's cases does failure occur at such low loads (80#?).

(Btw, I tried to ask--w/o success--if there might have been contact
of the knot w/a surface, to help cause untying. Can RC.com users take
some of their myriad ropes and replicate this failure, using a crude 'biner
pulley, even (noting that even loading a SINGLE strand w/knot would be
exceeding the likely forces put on double ropes by Karen) ?! I recall one
attempt to capsize the knot by "Brian-in-SLC", with a short drop, w/o
success (at failing); he's a big guy, I think.) The issue is here IS abseil
load, and that is something everyone can well exceed AT HOME (the old
"don't try this at home" gets reversed, i.e.).

In reply to:
No tests with so few trials can be considered to confirm the safety of a knot. As far as I know, such tests have never been performed on any knot.
And not merely counting cases, but much better noting exact geometries
(or, failing that, capturing images of them on camera for others to make
such analysis). Heck, one typically cannot learn which end of a Fig.8
loopknot has been loaded (or which rope in the asymmetric Sheet Bend
breaks). And then there's the issue of material: I heard that the ropes
at issue in the Zion (presumed) Offset-Fig.8 fatality were "like cables"
(and the guy who saw this had continued to recommend the Offset-8).

Tree Wrangler wrote:
No. Tom however does wonder at the need for esp. the compact EDK
(Offset Ring Bend): how many cases of stuck ropes would actually be
avoided? There has been testimony to this forum to paint this as good
question. Still, against this, there ARE damn simple things to do to give
the EDK-Oh enhanced resistance to "rolling"--just tie off the choking rope
end (lighter grey, in the Moyer image) with an Overhand snug against the
EDK (to resist that end's being pulled through the knot and loosening its
choke; or, take this rope one full wrap around the live ends before
tucking it out through the knot's loop; the full turn is harder to pry open.
(Take one half-turn extra, and tuck it out in opp. direction to the other
end, and you have the Offset 8-Oh, which looks good. The full turn gives
the Offset 9-Oh.)

Tom Moyer wrote:
What I do know is that I didn't find any combinations of factors for a well-dressed, well-preloaded, [offset]-overhand or [offset]-figure-eight knot with sufficient tails that would cause failure at less than body weight. I also know that millions of rappels have taken place on these knots without failures. I suspect that in each of the four accidents I mentioned above, the knots were too loose and the tails were too short, but it's also possible that they simply found a combination of rope sizes and conditions that doesn't hold as well as the ropes that I tested.
If the material is stiff, it will be hard to dress & set it compactly; there
will be much space within the knot to threaten its integrity. If the material
is elastic (shock cord!), there is greater chance to deform, to open up.
If the surface is frictive (old rope), the live ends get more grip to
pull the choking turn open (vs. sliding over it). So, in the Zion case,
one had this trio of bad aspects--old, stiff, dynamic ropes, AND a poor
offset knot, the Offset Fig.8 (which, we should remark, seems to have NOT
failed on their prior uses?). And we can but guess at the final tying.

In reply to:
In the rescue situation, two strands are not bearing the load and there can be two, perhaps three people plus a stretcher hanging on the rope, which will probably be a static rope and so capable of producing much higher forces if slack accumulates and there is a drop.
But on the plus side are typically slick & low-elongation ropes, to resist
the prying open.

In reply to:
Double Fishermans....ropes break at over 2500 lbs, even when tied improperly or ropes are wet
Please note that "improperly tied" is a HIGHLY vague indication of the exact
geometry. Interestingly, in the Moyer case #19, it was the Fig.8 loopknot
that broke!?
But, in the case of joining abseil ropes, breaking is NOT an issue.

*kN*

(This post was edited by knudenoggin on Jan 14, 2008, 5:03 AM)

the_leech

Jan 13, 2008, 7:02 AM
Post #47 of 56 (8471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
Tree Wrangler wrote:

Moyers did 17 slow-pull tests on two versions of the EDK, the figure-8 version and the overhand version. The figure-8 version proved unreliable, leaving 6 tests on the EDK. Of these 6 tests, 4 were well-dressed and pretensioned, and 2 were on ropes of the same diameter. Of the two on ropes of the same diameter, only one was on dynamic ropes. So all the so-called variability and uncertainty are artifacts of the broad scope of the testing rather than any feature of the knot---as it is typically used---that could be detected by these tests.

Only one of Moyers 17 test involves a properly tied overhand EDK on dynamic ropes of the same diameter. In that test the knot rolled at 1400 pounds, a level that is unachievable under any rappelling circumstances, and the rope broke at 2070 lbf.

In the second of the two tests of a properly tied EDK in two ropes of the same diameter, two static ropes were used and the EDK did not roll and broke at 2170 lbf.

Moyers also performed two tests of the EDK for two ropes of unequal diameter, specifically an 11mm dynamic rope and an 8mm static rope. One test was with dry ropes and one with wet ropes. As KnudeNoggin has explained several times now in different threads, there are two ways to tie the overhand EDK in different diameter ropes, one of which is likely to be less resistant to rolling than the same-diameter knot. Unfortunately, we don't know which configuration Moyers tested, but his dry rope result was rolling at 1230 lbf, again a level that cannot be achieved by rappelling, with the 8mm line breaking at 1770 lbf. His wet rope result was 950 lbf, which is extremely unlikely, if not unachievable by rappelling.

For those who are skeptical about this last claim, let me offer a quantified argument. Remember that the load to the rappel ropes has to be double the knot load, so the rappeller would have to produce 1900 lbf in order to load the knot with 950 lbf. Since the peak tension in a fall arrested by double ropes is about 40% higher than the tension that would occur if a single rope arrested the same fall, we are speaking here of a fall that would result in a peak load of 1360 lbf or about 6 kN if arrested by a single rope.

Let's say that our rope has a UIAA rating of 10 kN (which is higher than most ropes, but allows for the stiffening that is part of the aging process). Then fall factor required to load the knot with 950 lbf is about 0.6. To fall on rappel, the rappeller has to somehow accumulate slack and then drop. If the rappeller has rappelled a distance D feet from the anchor, stops on a ledge, and somehow contrives to pull up and through the rappel device S feet of slack, then a fall factor of 0.6 corresponds to the slack equation S=1.5D; you have to pull up and through the rappel device 50% more slack than your distance from the anchor in order to provide an instantaneous peak load to the anchor of 950 lbf, a load which caused the knot to roll in unequal diameter wet ropes under slow-pull conditions.

From this I would say that the very worst of Moyers tests, unequal diameter wet ropes joined by an overhand EDK that might possibly be tied the wrong way, although properly dressed and tensioned, produced rolling that cannot be achieved under any normal rappelling situations.

A qualification is in order: you could manage this by being 1 foot from the anchor and falling with 6 inches of slack. We don't know whether an instantaneous peak load will have the same effect on rolling as a more-or-less constantly applied slow-pull load; I would think not, but if so than here is a reason to have sufficiently long tails. It took 1300 lbf to roll the knot again, and this cannot be achieved by a rappeller.

No tests with so few trials can be considered to confirm the safety of a knot. As far as I know, such tests have never been performed on any knot. But we can say that there is nothing in Moyers tests to indicate any safety concerns about the a properly dressed and tensioned EDK for ordinary rappelling, especially in two ropes of the same diameter but even in the case of wet unequal diameter ropes.

Tree Wrangler wrote:

I think Tree is remembering---well, misremembering---the parts that help to confirm the conclusion he has already reached. The part of Moyers report that I can find is his reponse to the claim that the data shows the EDK is safe:

Tom Moyers wrote:
There's an enormous variability in the force it takes to start flipping the knot. I have no confidence that I've fully explored the parameters that affect the flipping, or that one test for each set of parameters creates much statistical confidence in the answer. As someone said, "it's not the average that's the concern, it's the standard deviation." What I do know is that I didn't find any combinations of factors for a well-dressed, well-preloaded, flat-overhand or flat-figure-eight knot with sufficient tails that would cause failure at less than body weight. I also know that millions of rappels have taken place on these knots without failures. I suspect that in each of the four accidents I mentioned above, the knots were too loose and the tails were too short, but it's also possible that they simply found a combination of rope sizes and conditions that doesn't hold as well as the ropes that I tested.

Note that three of the four accidents involved the definitely discredited figure-8 version, and the one EDK accident (the only one that I know of that has ever been reported) involved some strange circumstances in which the knot was undone and retied for some reason just before it failed. Moreover, it is important to note that Moyers' tests do not contain any evidence of high variability in rolling loads for the properly dressed and tensioned overhand EDK. The variability he describes may or may not be an artifact of the range of testing situations he employed, but there aren't enough trials on the cases relevant to proper practice to tell anything about variability there. In other words, variability may be a problem, as it always is with so few trials, but one cannot take the variation in the extremely different testing circumstances as evidence for unseen variability in the relevant tests.

Trying to find something in Moyers that confirms Tree's recollection, we also have:
Tom Moyers wrote:
I think to use them for a rescue lowering or belay is to invite an accident. There are a few rescue teams who use them for lowering, and they have had no accidents yet that I know of. One team that I spoke to about my testing has now changed their protocols and discontinued their use of the knot.

In the rescue situation, two strands are not bearing the load and there can be two, perhaps three people plus a stretcher hanging on the rope, which will probably be a static rope and so capable of producing much higher forces if slack accumulates and there is a drop. I can't see that this situation is one that bears on climbing practice. If we adopted the rescue perspective, we'd probably have to conclude that none of our belay devices are safe, for example.

Others have tested the EDK. No one that I have heard of has found any failure issues of concern for rappelling as it is done by climbing parties, as long as the knot is properly dressed and tensioned.

The one lesson we've learned from Moyers tests is that the rolling threshold for the EDK is far more sensitive to poor tying than the breaking threshold of the double fisherman's knot. But as long as climbers are aware of that sensitivity and are diligent about tying, I can't see any reason to view the EDK as unsafe, but I'll let Moyers have the last word here:

Tom Moyers wrote:
I have personally used the flat-overhand on some rappels where I thought pulling the ropes across an edge might cause problems. Otherwise, I use a figure-eight follow-through knot with grapevine safeties. Most of the people I know use the flat-overhand, including Chris Harmston, who co-wrote the high-strength cord paper with me. I don't believe the flat-overhand will ever fail under body weight if it is tied well.

Whoah!

Rgold, that's a lot of words.

Let me simplify your post for you:

"Tree_hippie, you're a moron."

There you go. And you're welcome.

saxfiend

Jan 13, 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #48 of 56 (8424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:
Whoah!

Looks like you've totally missed the reason that rgold's posts are among the few worth reading on rc.com. Anyone can call someone a moron (especially under the anonymity of the internet); a well-reasoned argument that doesn't resort to name-calling is refreshing and rare. I sort of doubt that rgold (or anyone else) wants you to "simplify" his posts.

JL

the_leech

Jan 13, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #49 of 56 (8402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] Rock and Ice gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saxfiend wrote:
the_leech wrote:
Whoah!

Looks like you've totally missed the reason that rgold's posts are among the few worth reading on rc.com. Anyone can call someone a moron (especially under the anonymity of the internet); a well-reasoned argument that doesn't resort to name-calling is refreshing and rare. I sort of doubt that rgold (or anyone else) wants you to "simplify" his posts.

JL

Gee, thanks for setting me straight, sexfiend.

I had no idea that rgold's posts were so valuable. I just lumped him in the same category as vivalargo, sterlingjim, jt512, curt, dingus and the other washed-up hacks who pepper this board with useless drivel.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Moron.

(This post was edited by the_leech on Jan 13, 2008, 7:20 PM)

saxfiend

Jan 13, 2008, 9:35 PM
Post #50 of 56 (8358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:
Thanks again for clarifying.
You're welcome, wouldn't want you to suffer any further embarassment.

the_leech wrote:
Moron.
Nice new sig.

JL

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook