No 15 / 17%
88 total votes

c4c

Jan 31, 2008, 1:01 PM
Post #26 of 61 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clemsonscooby wrote:
I turned my wife into a climber.

harry potter fan?

bizarrodrinker

Jan 31, 2008, 1:47 PM
Post #27 of 61 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
Probably not.

Climbing is my time. After dating a climber I have found that the last thing I want is to mix bullshit with climbing.

Plus unless you are all friends to begin with it just makes your climbing friends not want to climb with you.
I don't think I would go that far either.

Marrying a climber is a different dynamic, but having someone who doesn't understand climbing is VERY bad.

I would never dream of climbing with my wife all of the time. They aren't going to and shouldn't be your best climbing partner ever. At the same time it is awesome when vacation time rolls around because you know damn well you will be climbing rather than going to Dinseyland for the 5th year in a row. They are also way more likely to go along with your crazy ideas to quit your job and climb for months on end.

Yea, but again, when I go climbing, I want to leave all of the worldly bullshit and hassle where it is and deal with it when I get back.

If you have to take your wife/gf, its the same bs in a different place, PLUS it screws up your vacation/climbing time.

Not to mention it is EXTREMELY refreshing to have a conversation with a girl that doesn't revolve around climbing. Which eventually turns out to be one of the only things you have in common in the first place.

But I'm rambling here.

erin

Jan 31, 2008, 2:04 PM
Post #28 of 61 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am marrying a climber in 2 months :) when choosing a house we made sure there was plenty of room for our gear...

bigfatrock

Jan 31, 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #29 of 61 (1529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the better question is "would you marry a climber?"

Yes, as long as she doesn't climb harder than me ;) Arrogant I know, but I'm a prideful son of a gun.

I know I likely won't though but it would be nice. As long as the woman I marry understands my passion and knows I will be out on the rock a lot then I'm cool with her.

lena_chita

Jan 31, 2008, 2:40 PM
Post #30 of 61 (1513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Will you marry a climber ... ?

I AM married to one.

Adk

Jan 31, 2008, 3:00 PM
Post #31 of 61 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm married and took up climbing before we met. Then I stopped for a number of years. Got back into it.
She would enjoy it but can't due to cubital tunnel syndrome as a result of a fall she had a few years ago.
This nerve problem really stinks for the both of us.
When I climb it is a good break for us yet it is nice to have her there while she reads a book or encourages our kids to climb and to "work it out!"

sknowlton

Jan 31, 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #32 of 61 (1483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am married to a climber, too.

(...and we have a climbing kid!)

kostik

Jan 31, 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #33 of 61 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Will you marry a climber ... ?

I AM married to one.

And so AM I.

Here she is warming up on Apollo Reed, 5.13a, before moving to some real stuff:

wonderwoman

Jan 31, 2008, 3:56 PM
Post #34 of 61 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clemsonscooby wrote:
I turned my wife into a climber.

I turned my husband into a climber... Now he climbs harder than I do!

We would not have ended up dating if there weren't some possible interest in climbing. Needless to say, I think we're both glad it worked out on many different levels! Wink

granite_grrl

Jan 31, 2008, 4:54 PM
Post #35 of 61 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
Probably not.

Climbing is my time. After dating a climber I have found that the last thing I want is to mix bullshit with climbing.

Plus unless you are all friends to begin with it just makes your climbing friends not want to climb with you.

Marrying a climber is a different dynamic, but having someone who doesn't understand climbing is VERY bad.

I would never dream of climbing with my wife all of the time. They aren't going to and shouldn't be your best climbing partner ever. At the same time it is awesome when vacation time rolls around because you know damn well you will be climbing rather than going to Dinseyland for the 5th year in a row. They are also way more likely to go along with your crazy ideas to quit your job and climb for months on end.

Yea, but again, when I go climbing, I want to leave all of the worldly bullshit and hassle where it is and deal with it when I get back.

If you have to take your wife/gf, its the same bs in a different place, PLUS it screws up your vacation/climbing time.

Not to mention it is EXTREMELY refreshing to have a conversation with a girl that doesn't revolve around climbing. Which eventually turns out to be one of the only things you have in common in the first place.

But I'm rambling here.

Being with your partner doesn't mean its BS time. There can be BS time, but that's one of the reasons not to climb with them all the time.

I laugh at the idea of going on a climbing vacation and screwing it up 'cause you're with your wife. You know what'll screw it up even more? Not going on a climbing vacation in the first place 'cause your wife isn't a climber. Or only being "allowed" to climb a couple days on your trip without her.

And if the only thing you and your partner only have one thing in common (like climbing), then your marriage won't last very long in the first place.

Guess the big thing that Bizzaro doesn't understand is that once you get into such a serious relationship there will be comprimises. Doesn't matter who the hell you marry, he will never get the selfish fantasy that he's looking for.

I'm married to a climber, and it has its ups and downs, but we're figuring out how to make it work. You know what would be my ideal? Married to a super serious mountain biker or something. Someone who would understand my passion, but has his own that takes up as much time as mine. But ideals and who you fall in love with don't always match up and that's one of the exciting things in life.

But being married to another climber has its bennifits:
- huge climbing wall in the basement
- having access to twice as much rack
- working towards same goal of travel, etc
- warm body to cuddle into in tent on cold nights
- guarenteed sex while on trips
- someone you like to spend rest days with (esp if you have to spend the day in your tent Tongue)

xtremst80

Jan 31, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #36 of 61 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen (sorry kids)

Will you marry a climber who (she/he) is just like you ( a climber) or someone who is totally in to a different game but climbing ?

I thought people climb to get away from there wife/husband???

bizarrodrinker

Jan 31, 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #37 of 61 (1376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
Probably not.

But I'm rambling here.

Being with your partner doesn't mean its BS time. There can be BS time, but that's one of the reasons not to climb with them all the time.

I laugh at the idea of going on a climbing vacation and screwing it up 'cause you're with your wife. You know what'll screw it up even more? Not going on a climbing vacation in the first place 'cause your wife isn't a climber. Or only being "allowed" to climb a couple days on your trip without her.

And if the only thing you and your partner only have one thing in common (like climbing), then your marriage won't last very long in the first place.

Guess the big thing that Bizzaro doesn't understand is that once you get into such a serious relationship there will be comprimises. Doesn't matter who the hell you marry, he will never get the selfish fantasy that he's looking for.

I'm married to a climber, and it has its ups and downs, but we're figuring out how to make it work. You know what would be my ideal? Married to a super serious mountain biker or something. Someone who would understand my passion, but has his own that takes up as much time as mine. But ideals and who you fall in love with don't always match up and that's one of the exciting things in life.

But being married to another climber has its bennifits:
- huge climbing wall in the basement
- working towards same goal of travel, etc
- warm body to cuddle into in tent on cold nights
- guarenteed sex while on trips
- someone you like to spend rest days with (esp if you have to spend the day in your tent Tongue)

Bizarro could not care less cause bizarro is single and will remain that way because he enjoys not having to answer to or compromise with anyone. Which is fine with him. call it selfish call it what you will, it is not now nor will it ever be your problem.

And at least i don't rag on people on the interweb for their personal preference. But hey that works for most people here too.

This not to say that all you couples out there are wrong. I am sure it works for you and that's great.

I have just been on enough climbing trips to know that I would have had a better time if my gf (at the time) wasn't there.

wonderwoman

Jan 31, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #38 of 61 (1360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
Bizarro could not care less cause bizarro is single and will remain that way because he enjoys not having to answer to or compromise with anyone. Which is fine with him. call it selfish call it what you will, it is not now nor will it ever be your problem.

Like it or not, you'll remain single for as long as you talk about yourself in the third person. That's sure to get on any woman's nerves real fast!

I can picture it now:
'Bizarro's gonna send this mofo!'
'Bizarro's gonna go for the onsight!'

Poor, lonely Bizarro!

adelicious

Jan 31, 2008, 5:32 PM
Post #39 of 61 (1338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that my fiance and I would never have met had we not both be into climbing! In fact we would not have met had it not been for RC.com!

I am totally excited about marrying a climber. Not JUST because he is a climber - in our case we happened to get to know each other and realize we get along on a lot of other levels too and we truly understand each other and have something really special that neither of us have had with anyone before. And what could be more romantic than getting proposed to on the top of a cliff?

Marrying a climber was nothing I ever imagined or searched for, but I couldn't be happier that it worked out this way - it is definitely a bonus!

bizarrodrinker

Jan 31, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #40 of 61 (1338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Again, not that I really care so much, but you don't know (and likely don't want to know) the first thing about me other than that I have a screen name on a climbing website.

I also wouldn't say that I am lonely so much. For one I enjoy spending time alone and for two if I don't want to be alone people are one phone call away.

I would say I am more ecstatic that I don't have to deal with any whiny ass women while I am trying to hang out and have a good time doing whatever it is that I am doing at the given moment.

Partner camhead

Jan 31, 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #41 of 61 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

But being married to another climber has its benefits:...

this is true.

artsylady567

Jan 31, 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #42 of 61 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be in a couple of summers from now and he is a lot more brave to take on climbs I would usually not do. He has helped me to expand my climbing comfort zone. That's why I love him!!!

unrooted

Jan 31, 2008, 6:22 PM
Post #43 of 61 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quit fighting and borrow my shirt.

(This post was edited by unrooted on Jan 31, 2008, 6:22 PM)

itstoearly

Jan 31, 2008, 7:26 PM
Post #44 of 61 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I introduced my fiancee into climbing when we first met, and she has loved it ever since. Would have married her either way, though :)

hiyapokey

Jan 31, 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #45 of 61 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is really pissing me off. First of all who bolted that line your wife if on. I see a perfect big bro placement not six inches left of her hand. And where the F are those people getting married's helmets, not to mention no one is clipped in to a PAS. Come on you people!?

kostik

Jan 31, 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #46 of 61 (1229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hiyapokey] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hiyapokey wrote:
This thread is really pissing me off. First of all who bolted that line your wife if on. I see a perfect big bro placement not six inches left of her hand. And where the F are those people getting married's helmets, not to mention no one is clipped in to a PAS. Come on you people!?

I don't have a big bro. I'm my parents' only child. And my wife has a small sister. Thus, bolting Apollo is as natural and justified as the nudist swimming in the lake 50 ft from the route.

As far as the wedding pic goes, it reminded me of Lynn Hill's wedding photo from her book where they are hanging on the ropes and the priest is reading from the Gunks guidebook.

lena_chita

Jan 31, 2008, 7:59 PM
Post #47 of 61 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kostik wrote:
As far as the wedding pic goes, it reminded me of Lynn Hill's wedding photo from her book where they are hanging on the ropes and the priest is reading from the Gunks guidebook.

It wasn't a priest! Did you read the caption to that photo, or were you too busy looking at Lynn Hill?

kostik

Jan 31, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #48 of 61 (1210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
It wasn't a priest! Did you read the caption to that photo, or were you too busy looking at Lynn Hill?

The caption said he was a "priest". Yes, I know the meaning of " ".

wonderwoman

Jan 31, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #49 of 61 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hiyapokey] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hiyapokey wrote:
And where the F are those people getting married's helmets, not to mention no one is clipped in to a PAS. Come on you people!?

Here's my wedding helmet:

hiyapokey

Jan 31, 2008, 9:04 PM
Post #50 of 61 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Will you marry a climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fantastic! All women should wear helmets to their honey moons.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook