Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

tradrenn

Feb 16, 2008, 7:25 AM
Post #26 of 72 (1094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
A single rope that is rated to 5000 lbs is insufficient for rescue work cause ,as soon as you put the knot in there, you will loose 30% which brings the value to @2800 lbs or safety factor 6:1. This is why two rope are used in rescue to increase the safety factor to at least 12:1.

How did you get 2800 lbs ?
30 % of 5000 is 1500
Shouldn't you end it up with 3500 ?

majid_sabet wrote:
In climbing, there are no such standard or at least no one builds an anchor or uses a biner with such safety factors in mind.

Yes there are. They are called 2 to 1
Let me give you an example:

Cranes are build to that standard, when a company that makes cranes wants to built one that is suppose to be rated for 40 tons they have to test it by hanging 80 tons for half an hour, static load FYI. Cranes are regulated by laws, whether climbing gear is or not I honestly don't know.

Majid: Are you expecting climbing (or other staff ) gear
to be rated to its absolute maximum strength ?

Can you imagine just for a second what would happen to my crane once I loaded with 40.25 tons ?

Same goes for climbing equipment, basically it is stronger then necessary for a reason, you never know or pulley effect is that reason.

majid_sabet wrote:
Most people feel that two cams in the crack and leaving one draw on TR does the job and there they go off the wall.

Where in the word did you get that info ?

majid_sabet wrote:
I am confident that most manufacturer know why they build their gear in such ways,

I'm confident too.

majid_sabet wrote:
but does public has any idea why these ratings are for ?.

No they don't.
You should understand that we are living in a society that is define by one statement:

"The law is here to protect MORONS from themselfs"

majid_sabet wrote:
Do we feel safer with a gear rated 5 times more than what we could generate during a fall ?

I can't answer for everyone else that climbs, but I can tell you that, YES I feel safer.

V.

dobson

Feb 16, 2008, 8:04 AM
Post #27 of 72 (1086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
kN is just a unit of force, just as the pound is. 1 kN = 225 lb (approximately).

Pounds (lb) are not a unit of force, they're a unit of weight; mass*g. Pounds force (lbf) are an imperial unit of force, independent of gravity. One kn is ~225 lbf.

jt512

Feb 16, 2008, 8:14 AM
Post #28 of 72 (1082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dobson] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dobson wrote:
In reply to:
kN is just a unit of force, just as the pound is. 1 kN = 225 lb (approximately).

Pounds (lb) are not a unit of force, they're a unit of weight; mass*g.

These threads are so predictable.

F = ma. Let a = g. Then F = mg = w. Thus weight is a force.

Jay

hugepedro

Feb 16, 2008, 9:51 AM
Post #29 of 72 (1076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
In climbing, there are no such standard or at least no one builds an anchor or uses a biner with such safety factors in mind.

I beg to differ. There absolutely is a safety standard in climbing. Gear is designed around the principle that a lead fall should never generate more than 12kn on the falling climber. No, it is not like a 15:1 standard. You, the climber, are responsible for deciding how much overkill you want and are comfortable with, and that is how it should be.

majid_sabet wrote:
Most people feel that two cams in the crack and leaving one draw on TR does the job and there they go off the wall.

Really? "Most people"???? I've never seen anyone TR off of 1 draw, or 2 pieces of pro, let alone most people.

majid_sabet wrote:
Do we feel safer with a gear rated 5 times more than what we could generate during a fall ?

You have climbing gear rated to 80kn? I don't have any on my rack. Please tell me what gear you have that is rated to 80kn.

majid_sabet

Feb 16, 2008, 10:33 AM
Post #30 of 72 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I beg to differ. There absolutely is a safety standard in climbing. Gear is designed around the principle that a lead fall should never generate more than 12kn on the falling climber. No, it is not like a 15:1 standard. You, the climber, are responsible for deciding how much overkill you want and are comfortable with, and that is how it should be.

majid_sabet wrote:

Really? "Most people"???? I've never seen anyone TR off of 1 draw, or 2 pieces of pro, let alone most people.

majid_sabet wrote:

You have climbing gear rated to 80kn? I don't have any on my rack. Please tell me what gear you have that is rated to 80kn.

Safety standards in climbing ?

You mean something that is well documented and has been approved as standard ?

Like how to jumar or what belay device you must use or you can not rap with rope under this size etc ?

corson

Feb 16, 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #31 of 72 (1082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
d1r73 wrote:
And yet we still hear of gear failures. I know I have heard of biners snapping on slacklines, harnesses failing, cams breaking, ropes snapping... etc etc I will give you that most of this was probably improper use and/or excessive wear and tear, but mfg know this shit happens and therefore build to account for a certain degree of stupidity/cheapness/laziness/misuses by the users. Also it's nice to have gear that is OBVIOUSLY way too worn to be using before it fails structurally.

Harnesses failing? Ropes "snapping?" Where else but rc.com can you get quality misinformation like this!

Jay

I think pee-wees play house did a segment on snapping ropes.............Maybe that was smokin' ropes. I forgetUnimpressed

corson

Feb 16, 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #32 of 72 (1079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

majid_sabet wrote:

majid_sabet wrote:

Safety standards in climbing ?

You mean something that is well documented and has been approved as standard ?

Like how to jumar or what belay device you must use or you can not rap with rope under this size etc ?

YA..................I need very specific well documented,peer reviewed standards.Let's get the government involved. When I go climbing I won't have to think anymore!

Give me a break!

Aren't my zero's rated to 80KNWink?

jmvc

Feb 16, 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #33 of 72 (1077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dobson wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

Yup, but mass is not, and dobson was talking about mass. You measure wheight in newtons, not lbs. Not important anyway, I'm sure we all understood what you meant, I just had to be a pedant Wink

jmvc

Feb 16, 2008, 11:28 AM
Post #34 of 72 (1075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d1r73] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

d1r73 wrote:
And yet we still hear of gear failures. I know I have heard of biners snapping on slacklines, harnesses failing, cams breaking, ropes snapping... etc etc I will give you that most of this was probably improper use and/or excessive wear and tear, but mfg know this shit happens and therefore build to account for a certain degree of stupidity/cheapness/laziness/misuses by the users. Also it's nice to have gear that is OBVIOUSLY way too worn to be using before it fails structurally.

Yeah, that happened to me, i twisted my rope through a fig8 and it snapped.. that's why I changed to an ATC..

hugepedro

Feb 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #35 of 72 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I just told you one standard, did you not read my post?

Have you never heard of the EN standards? Or the UIAA?

A standard for how to jumar? That's like asking if there is a standard for how to turn on a light switch.

A standard for what belay device you must use? Why would there be? But next time you pick up your belay device note the little "CE" stamp on it. That is a standard.

Every single piece of gear on your rack complies with a "well documented and approved" standard.

Partner j_ung

Feb 16, 2008, 2:05 PM
Post #36 of 72 (1065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
If a falling climber can't generate above 7 kn or 9 kn...

Huh?

petsfed

Feb 16, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #37 of 72 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dobson] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dobson wrote:
In reply to:

Pounds (lb) are not a unit of force, they're a unit of weight; mass*g. Pounds force (lbf) are an imperial unit of force, independent of gravity. One kn is ~225 lbf.

Jesus Fucking Christ. You're retarded.

Surprise surprise, 1lbf for presses on a scale the exact same amount as something that "weighs" 1 lb.

The imperial unit for mass is the slug. 1 slug weighs 32.2 pounds, and it takes 32.2 lbs of force to accelerate one slug of anything commensurate to gravity, eg at 32.2 ft per second per second.

Join the modern (eg post 1650s) world of physics where weight = force. Its called Galilean relativity, and you probably learned in the 5th grade.

jt512

Feb 16, 2008, 5:28 PM
Post #38 of 72 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmvc] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmvc wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dobson wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

Yup, but mass is not, and dobson was talking about mass. You measure wheight in newtons, not lbs. Not important anyway, I'm sure we all understood what you meant, I just had to be a pedant Wink

If you're going to be pedantic, you should avoid being wrong. dobson clearly stated that pounds are a "unit of weight". And the pound is most certainly a unit of force.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 16, 2008, 5:30 PM)

jt512

Feb 16, 2008, 5:57 PM
Post #39 of 72 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
No. There is no such thing as "dynamic force." There is just "force." I would think that the reason that the NFPA does not use the unit kN is because they are a U.S. organization, and hence they use the U.S. unit of force, the pound.

Jay

Thanks for the correction. When I said dynamic force, I think I should have been saying shock loading. Is shock loading measured differently than other kinds of force, i.e. a different unit?

No. Force is force. Any force can be measured in either kN or lb. It's just that kN is a metric unit, and no one in the U.S. knows what a kN is unless they've taken a physics class, and most of them still don't get it.

In reply to:
I'm not arguing I'm just asking, because the way I understand it a 225 lb or 1kN person does not weigh in at 1kN when loading the rope immediately after a fall, while they still weigh 225 lbs. Or am I misusing weight for mass in that scenario?

Neither. You're misunderstanding the physics altogether. Weight is mass times the acceleration due to gravity; w = mg. A person's mass is the same everywhere in the Universe, and gravity is, for all practical purposes, the same everywhere on the earth. So person's weight is the same everywhere on the earth. Nothing in the above has to do with whether the person is falling, stationary, or is getting caught by a dynamic climbing rope. So his weight is the same.

Here's the deal. When you want to stop a falling climber, you have to apply a stopping, or braking, force that is greater than his weight (weight is a force) in order to stop him. If you apply a force less than his weight, you'll only reduce his acceleration; if you apply a force equal to his weight, you'll stop his acceleration, but he'll continue falling at a constant speed. Thus you have to apply a force greater than his weight. If you lock off the belay device, the tension in the rope is this stopping force. Force = mass times acceleration. Since the climber is stopped over just a few feet of rope stretch, the acceleration is pretty high; and, since force = mass times acceleration, the force is pretty high. It is this force that is the impact force that you're thinking of. It's not the climber's weight that changes, it's the braking force that is required to stop the climber's fall.

Jay

kachoong

Feb 16, 2008, 6:02 PM
Post #40 of 72 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dobson wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

This is correct! We area always falling... it's just the ground that always gets in the way.

Majid.... compliments on a good topic to bounce around.

chalker7

Feb 16, 2008, 9:19 PM
Post #41 of 72 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Jay.

majid_sabet

Feb 17, 2008, 3:07 AM
Post #42 of 72 (986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
Yes, I just told you one standard, did you not read my post?

Have you never heard of the EN standards? Or the UIAA?

A standard for how to jumar? That's like asking if there is a standard for how to turn on a light switch.

A standard for what belay device you must use? Why would there be? But next time you pick up your belay device note the little "CE" stamp on it. That is a standard.

Every single piece of gear on your rack complies with a "well documented and approved" standard.

CE, EU , UIAA, etc qualifies climbing equipment and set requirements for such qualifications. Standards are sets of protocols that must be followed for certain equipment. For example, UL sets qualification for electrical equipment sold in USA. This means that a light bulb must meet certain requirements to be qualify as a light bulb . The department of urban and hosing sets standards so the particular light bulb must be installed in whatever ways in a residential housing.

When a biner is made in Europe, to market such product, the biner must meet certine requirement and UIAA is one of the agencies that qualifies such equpiment. UIAA does not tell what to use when climbing.

Climbing standard means that some agency ( not privet club or NGOs, NPOs) enforces a set of minimum requirement related to particular part in climbing.An example would be like an agencies says" To rappel, you must use whatever in such format and this is how it is done". in USA, the military and some of the fire, rescue agencies are the closest group of people who have partial standards but not on everything.

As far as I know, there are no climbing standards that specifies how to climb or what to use when climbing.John Long's book ain't standard in anchor set up. Petzl drawing and the Mountaineering 5th addition are not standards and AAC for sure does not set standards on climbing.

Is fig 8 the official standard for knot on TR ?

Is Grigri the standard for big wall belay ?

The 17" tire on a SUV is pretty standard and approved by DOT. You changed that to a 19" and you are SOL with nothing to back you up once you roll you car.

Some one help the brother and show me some standards in climbing ( not standards in climbing equipment) .A well documented piece of standard that has been approved by an agency about climbing.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Feb 17, 2008, 9:22 AM)

patto

Feb 17, 2008, 6:16 AM
Post #43 of 72 (959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what your arguements about safety standards are trying to prove.

Standards whether it is food, safety or industry operations can be about making life simpler, more compatible or involve less decision making.

Safety standard can remove decision making. It can mean that people who do not really have a clue about forces, or dangerous chemicals still safely operate in such environment.

Climbing however is not a world of standards. There are too many variables and too many decisions need to be made that by promoting standards you can get people into trouble.

Case in point is some sport climbers who find themselves in unusual situations be it rescues or other problems. I have seen some sport climbers totally clueless outside of belayin, clipping and heading down again.

majid_sabet

Feb 17, 2008, 9:29 AM
Post #44 of 72 (941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
I don't know what your arguements about safety standards are trying to prove.

Standards whether it is food, safety or industry operations can be about making life simpler, more compatible or involve less decision making.

Safety standard can remove decision making. It can mean that people who do not really have a clue about forces, or dangerous chemicals still safely operate in such environment.

Climbing however is not a world of standards. There are too many variables and too many decisions need to be made that by promoting standards you can get people into trouble.

Case in point is some sport climbers who find themselves in unusual situations be it rescues or other problems. I have seen some sport climbers totally clueless outside of belayin, clipping and heading down again.

I have no arguments other that saying that there great deal of standards on climbing equipment but not a single standard related to climbing by itself. Something that says" this is how you have to belay in gym or if you are rapping with two ropes, you must use such knots to tie two ends".

hugepedro

Feb 17, 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #45 of 72 (929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
CE, EU , UIAA, etc qualifies climbing equipment and set requirements for . . . blah blah blah yada yada yada.

#1 - Duh. Yeah. Tell me something I don't know.

#2 - The kind of standards you are yammering on about (and what you're talking about would more commonly be considered policies rather than standards, but that's another argument) would imply the need for or existence of a climbing governing body of some sort. Are you advocating for such standards or such a body?

#3 - Do you actually have a point? Or are you just going to keep on blah blah blahing about nothing of consequence? Because if you have a point it would be nice if you made it, because this is getting tedious and boring.

majid_sabet

Feb 17, 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #46 of 72 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
CE, EU , UIAA, etc qualifies climbing equipment and set requirements for . . . blah blah blah yada yada yada.

#2 - The kind of standards you are yammering on about (and what you're talking about would more commonly be considered policies rather than standards, but that's another argument) would imply the need for or existence of a climbing governing body of some sort. Are you advocating for such standards or such a body?

#3 - Do you actually have a point? Or are you just going to keep on blah blah blahing about nothing of consequence? Because if you have a point it would be nice if you made it, because this is getting tedious and boring.

I do have a point . THERE ARE NO STANDARDS IN CLIMBING. Please reply when you find some standards for me.

Partner philbox

Feb 18, 2008, 2:25 AM
Post #47 of 72 (884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I do have a point . THERE ARE NO STANDARDS IN CLIMBING. Please reply when you find some standards for me.

Nor should there ever be official mandated government standards for climbing.

There are however non official standards for climbing and they have been established in the court of public opinion. For instance, the climbing community has established that it would be wise to climb whilst attached to a climbing rope with a knot that is sufficient for the job whilst also being belayed by a competent belayer. The climbing community also has mandated that it is a good idea to keep two pieces of gear between the climber and doom. The same can be said of anchoring systems and placement of gear.

Our standards are established by way of precedent. We push the boundaries and either fall to our doom or invent new ways and devices to keep ourselves from falling to our doom.

In recreational pursuits there should never ever be a place where official bodies come in and mandate how we recreate. That would be the death of our sport/passion/pursuit. Innovation would be stultified or crippled. Best we be free to learn from our own and others mistakes. The lessons are learned by way of dissemination of that information. In OHSA circles the information gathered from death and injury by and large is kept under lock and key so to speak due to the litigous nature of that system. Please do not advocate that we go down that road.

Partner philbox

Feb 18, 2008, 2:35 AM
Post #48 of 72 (880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey jt, is there ever a need to state that there is deceleration as opposed to the word acceleration when considering the forces involved with stopping a climbers fall. Would not deceleration be a better descriptive word? I know that when a climber is initially falling then acceleration would be the best term to use but when a belayer applies a frictional force to the rope would not the climber then be decelerating.

Just trying to get my terminology correct and I would love to hear your opinion on this. I have used the term deceleration in the past and am wondering if I have been in error.

hugepedro

Feb 18, 2008, 4:25 AM
Post #49 of 72 (872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil, you make a good point, those would be de facto standards, eh?

majid_sabet wrote:

That's not a point, that just a statement, the proper response to which is, so what? Now if you can give a reasonably interesting answer to the "so what" question than you might have a point. Otherwise this thread is . . . pointless.

petsfed

Feb 18, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #50 of 72 (1359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
Hey jt, is there ever a need to state that there is deceleration as opposed to the word acceleration when considering the forces involved with stopping a climbers fall. Would not deceleration be a better descriptive word? I know that when a climber is initially falling then acceleration would be the best term to use but when a belayer applies a frictional force to the rope would not the climber then be decelerating.

The only reason I've seen terminology used like that is to explicitly state the vector direction of the acceleration in terms of the velocity. That is, in acceleration, the force vector is parallel to the velocity vector, whereas in deceleration the force vector is antiparallel to the velocity vector. In common usage, I've found that deceleration implies that when the velocity equals zero, the force also becomes zero. That is, a car is said to decelerate if, after its velocity reaches zero, it does not start going in the opposite direction.

But that's just from reading waaay too many physics textbooks.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook