RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

jonzoclimber

Mar 14, 2008, 4:54 AM
Post #1 of 7 (998 views)
Shortcut

Outdoor Wall Paint Options
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,
I've been reading about the options out there and people seem to be writing a lot of the cheaper solutions to painting/protecting their walls. I am saving a lot of money on free plywood and thought it would be nice to get some textured coating I could mold a bit to support weight as feature holds. I know they use this type of stuff at rock gyms, but I've never figured out how their stuff is strong enough to hold my weight. Anyway, any links to products or passed experience would be helpful in making my choice.
Thanks,
Jon

northfacejmb

Mar 14, 2008, 5:35 AM
Post #2 of 7 (993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonzoclimber] Outdoor Wall Paint Options [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Imo, I would skip the gym style texture and go with several coats of paint mixed with sand. There are several reasons for this.
For one thing all the gyms that implore this kind of texture that I've seen have metal frames which would be hard to do yourself unless your good with metal. Another reason not to have a rock like climbing surface is that you can't use any screw-on foot jibs or screw-on wooden features. If you do decide to texture your wall with this stuff I would suggest keeping the natural features to a minimum because wherever there is a feature you can't put a hold and this dilemma will get old fast.
I coated my wall with a sand paint mix and I'm happy with it.
Here are some links that might address your questions and concerns.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ll%20texture;#409757

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Regardless of what I said this wall is freakin amazing
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...=home%20wall;#599804

jonzoclimber

Mar 14, 2008, 2:05 PM
Post #3 of 7 (980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northfacejmb] Outdoor Wall Paint Options [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My gym is going to be a little off standard. I'm going to be building it on preexisting freestanding tree house. It's like a 8 foot tall table with 2 wooden 6x6 legs and 2 longer (it's on a hill side so 1 side is taller than 8 ft) metal rods. I believe it can hold some serious weight. I may not coat the entire thing in natural features, but I'd like to make one of the aretes a blunt pinch and idealy would just make it out of cement or something to that effect. I'd like to avoid woody features, but it may be the best option.
Oh also... I work at a canvas shop and think I can peice together a really good tarp for a canopy. I live in New England so weather is going to be an upkeep factor. Anyone have any ideas for weatherproofing the structure as a whole (not painting the wood wise). I fear that the 45 degree roof may act like a series of buckets along the supports. Maybe I should invest in another peice of wood to lose up the back end too.
I love thinking about making the wall and all the misc. things that could make it better/worse, so if anyone wants to add ANYTHING about outdoor walls, I'd love to get responses.
Thanks,
Jon

swaghole

Mar 14, 2008, 2:36 PM
Post #4 of 7 (975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HOw about this stuff. A friend used it on a porch. Good roght texture.

http://www.techstone.ca/...k_instructions_e.pdf

jonzoclimber

Mar 14, 2008, 2:41 PM
Post #5 of 7 (972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swaghole] Outdoor Wall Paint Options [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Texture sounds right. Any idea on strength there?
Has anyone ever used cement to make patches of features then just painted with a more standard process after that? I'm wondering if I could just get cement and mix in a ton more sand and water to make it more shoe friendly.

contactclimbing

Mar 14, 2008, 3:30 PM
Post #6 of 7 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forget texture. We had it on our first woodie and it sucked. I would by a GOOD, alkyd based paint for the top coat, and a GOOD, oil-based primer.

D

northfacejmb

Mar 14, 2008, 6:28 PM
Post #7 of 7 (944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If its possible, I would highly suggest building your wall indoors. Originally I was going to build a 20ft wall outside but I ended up building it in the garage. I can't tell you how glad I am that I didn't put it outside because it is much easier to climb at night and in cold weather. And what's the point of having a wall if you can't climb whenever you want?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook