First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

clausti

Mar 25, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #26 of 37 (297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry, i forgot to include at least one before and after....

and, yes, i still have the doors. the bottom ones are ugly cause, well, i didnt paint the doors and then i realized that the cat would try and get into my chemicals, so i needed under sink doors. but i will fix it before we move.

wjca

Mar 25, 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #27 of 37 (286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
wjca wrote:

Good luck selling that place in a couple of years when graduate school is over and you are ready to move on.

The first place I bought was perfect for my wife and I, except the lady before us painted the base boards and door molding a deep blue/gray (think county kitchen gray) to match the horrendous carpet she had in the room. The carpet went before we even moved in, but I had to paint the base boards and molding. It took me three coats of primer and four coats of white semi gloss to get rid of that shit.

There is such a thing as too much color in the wrong places.

the baseboards are visually white- they're simply tinted a little so that it goes with the palette of the rest of the house.

and i think it will add value, actually- the house looks *much* nicer, and much less like an ex-abused-college-rental than when we moved in. some people might not like it, but the people who appreciate it will love it.

[img]http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/237/52/12705580/n12705580_34601449_640.jpg[/img]

[img]http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/237/52/12705580/n12705580_34601460_3511.jpg[/img]

aaand, this dork was playing guitar in all my pics of the office. 'scuze him, viva color!
[img]http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/237/52/12705580/n12705580_34601451_1145.jpg[/img]

I like that one.

What I meant was that when people are looking to buy a house/condo, and all the walls are painted a different color, it becomes difficult for them to imagine their stuff fitting in. Someone has already made the choice for them. A house will show better to potential buyers if it is a blank canvass for them to imagine their own color scheme (or at least a more neutral color that is more universal throughout). Some people might like it, but more will likely see it as a challange (read: pain in the ass) to have to repaint to suite their palate.

Just something to keep in mind down the road. You may have some trouble with it. One thing you could do is repaint some of the stronger colors (the Kitchen for example) before you put the place back on the market.

Just don't paint the ceilings.

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 25, 2008, 3:54 PM
Post #28 of 37 (281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
clausti wrote:
kostik wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
I'm forever fighting my husband about it

Honestly, I was not aware that you were fighting me.

oh noes! if the fight get serious, kostik might call in the BEAR CAVALRY!

when i bought my condo, the walls were all white. with brown (painted, not real woodgrain) baseboards, go figure. to top it off, it wasnt very *well* painted, and so me and camhead camped out in the basement for over a week to paint every wall and every baseboard.

the kitchen is now a warm, Mediterranean yellow, and all the trim in the house is off white tinted with that color. the cabinets were white (who does that??) with black inside them, and now they are maristachio cherry red with lavender inside and no doors. the living room is dark green and medium green. dark green on two walls, lighter on the other two the lighter wrapping up the stairs into the little "hallway" (landing) upstairs. the office is perfect-climbing-day-sky blue, the bathroom is burnt orange, and the bedroom is deep scarlet (the one my dad said was 3 shades too dark, but i love it.)

i love all the color. it makes me so much happier to look at- the white was depressing, and just came off looking dingy. if you stand on the landing upstairs, you can see green, blue, white, orange, and scarlet. it sounds potentially awful, but is in fact delicious.

viva colour!

(PS red takes like 5 coats, it took us, i think three gallons of paint to get the room to be an acceptable color. and this is WITH the tinted primer, which was pepto pink! the orange bathroom paint took one coat to look all brushstrokey cool, and two to look completely smooth. )

Good luck selling that place in a couple of years when graduate school is over and you are ready to move on.

The first place I bought was perfect for my wife and I, except the lady before us painted the base boards and door molding a deep blue/gray (think county kitchen gray) to match the horrendous carpet she had in the room. The carpet went before we even moved in, but I had to paint the base boards and molding. It took me three coats of primer and four coats of white semi gloss to get rid of that shit.

You didn't do a very good job sticking by your argument that she'd have a hard time selling the place by following up your comment with an example of how you bought a place that had a paint scheme you didn't like.

wjca

Mar 25, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #29 of 37 (269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
wjca wrote:
clausti wrote:
kostik wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
I'm forever fighting my husband about it

Honestly, I was not aware that you were fighting me.

oh noes! if the fight get serious, kostik might call in the BEAR CAVALRY!

when i bought my condo, the walls were all white. with brown (painted, not real woodgrain) baseboards, go figure. to top it off, it wasnt very *well* painted, and so me and camhead camped out in the basement for over a week to paint every wall and every baseboard.

the kitchen is now a warm, Mediterranean yellow, and all the trim in the house is off white tinted with that color. the cabinets were white (who does that??) with black inside them, and now they are maristachio cherry red with lavender inside and no doors. the living room is dark green and medium green. dark green on two walls, lighter on the other two the lighter wrapping up the stairs into the little "hallway" (landing) upstairs. the office is perfect-climbing-day-sky blue, the bathroom is burnt orange, and the bedroom is deep scarlet (the one my dad said was 3 shades too dark, but i love it.)

i love all the color. it makes me so much happier to look at- the white was depressing, and just came off looking dingy. if you stand on the landing upstairs, you can see green, blue, white, orange, and scarlet. it sounds potentially awful, but is in fact delicious.

viva colour!

(PS red takes like 5 coats, it took us, i think three gallons of paint to get the room to be an acceptable color. and this is WITH the tinted primer, which was pepto pink! the orange bathroom paint took one coat to look all brushstrokey cool, and two to look completely smooth. )

You didn't do a very good job sticking by your argument that she'd have a hard time selling the place by following up your comment with an example of how you bought a place that had a paint scheme you didn't like.

The place we bought only had one room that was done that way, thankfully. The rest of the house was a blank canvas, save some fugly wallpaper in the kitchen that came down pretty quickly. If all the moulding and baseboards in the entire place were painted that god-awful blue, I would have likely still bought the place because the pickins' were slim, but I would have made an offer of several thousand dollars less. I would have gotten it too because it was a buyer's market, the house had been on the market for more than 60 days, and they really needed to sell.

kimmyt

Mar 25, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #30 of 37 (261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know lots of people that won't buy a house because of a color paint they don't like. Doesn't make sense to me, since if I'm in a house, I pretty much want to repaint every room to make it feel more 'mine'.

I like color, but too much can be jarring. Though I do like Clausti's kitchen. <3 primary colors.

My house is painted in the muted earth tone colors, with splashes of blue and green because those colors make me happy.

tan room with mocha accent wall/red curtains, tan/beige room with orange furniture, muted lime green bathroom, grey-blue dining room, a kitchen that will be chili red/terra cotta color scheme at some point, brown bedroom, white bathroom, cream guest room and soon-to-be olive green office.

I bring most of my vivid color into my house by the use of art or furniture, which is nice cause it allows me to change the feel of a room pretty much on whim without repainting.

K.

kostik

Mar 25, 2008, 4:41 PM
Post #31 of 37 (261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:

Awesome colors. You have very good taste.

clausti

Mar 25, 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #32 of 37 (251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kostik wrote:
clausti wrote:

Awesome colors. You have very good taste.

Thank you! Smile I picked them all myself.

wanderlustmd

Mar 25, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #33 of 37 (250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
I made a bitching dinner too, a baked pasta alfredo with breaded chicken and fresh green beans. Mmmm!

You are getting too domesticated for your own good. Run!!!

Sly

(This post was edited by wanderlustmd on Mar 25, 2008, 5:10 PM)

c4c

Mar 25, 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #34 of 37 (239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hardwood floors rock!

carabiner96

Mar 25, 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #35 of 37 (237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
hardwood floors rock!

I dunno know about that, you should ask thomas.

c4c

Mar 25, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #36 of 37 (236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
c4c wrote:
hardwood floors rock!

What does he know?

carabiner96

Mar 25, 2008, 5:23 PM
Post #37 of 37 (234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Paint swatches and BEER [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
c4c wrote:
hardwood floors rock!

What does he know?

Nothing!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook