RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

hipclimber

Mar 26, 2008, 3:11 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Deep water soloing in west coast?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey,

I am doing a road trip across the west coast from Cali to BC, are there any good deep water soloing spots we can hit?

Mike805

Mar 26, 2008, 4:20 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hipclimber] Deep water soloing in west coast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've looked from Santa Barbara to Monterey with no luck. Every spot that seems somewhat climbable is usually a 100ft drop onto about 3-5ft of water with jagged rocks underneath that. There is a really cool spire near Big Sur that I've climbed that is literally in the water but again, soloing it would be crazy due to the shallow water and rocks below. There is one place called Sand Dollars which is above Big Sur that has a giant cave/arch type setup out in the water a ways, my roomate and I have talked about it maybe being doable but never swam out to check it out. It looks shallow in the middle of the arch but climbing the outer edges just may be doable. Keep in mind though that anything above Santa Barbara is going to be as cold as a witches tittie wearing a brass bra in the middle of january. I would think a wetsuit would be hard to climb in, although it would look pretty funny. PM me if you want directions.

hipclimber

Mar 28, 2008, 7:52 PM
Post #3 of 10 (948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mike805] Deep water soloing in west coast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn,

I'm going to have to wait until I can go to spain or thailand! there's got to be some beach climbing somewhere.

shimanilami

Mar 28, 2008, 8:02 PM
Post #4 of 10 (943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone told me that Malibu Canyon has some climbs that, when there's water in the creek, are above the water, and you need a boat to get to them. Any SoCal climbers out there with the beta?

sidepull

Mar 28, 2008, 8:06 PM
Post #5 of 10 (938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most DWS in the US happens in lakes.Unsure

drljefe

Mar 28, 2008, 9:52 PM
Post #6 of 10 (905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Deep water soloing in west coast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no sharks!Cool

MonkeyInTraining

Mar 28, 2008, 9:56 PM
Post #7 of 10 (901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suspect a few big boulders in tahoe around the sand harbor area might hold something. Though your just as likely to die from hypothermia as in the ocean, at least theres no sharks.

Anything deep enough to fall into near big sur is near prime feeding zone deepth for seal pups in the red triangle... OK so really, that dont mean much its a hundred to one still. But I thought this thread could use a bit of crazy fear mongering... (since DWS on the west coast is seriously lacking and there aint much to talk about).

There are big overhanging rocks on the spokane river in wash. and vancouver gorge probably has some as there are 50 foot cliff jumps. Didnt climb when I was there in 90' so I didnt really look. But from what I recall those are two spots on the west coast that might have some minor DWS action.

macblaze

Mar 28, 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #8 of 10 (871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Search DWS and Squamish on youtube... I saw a couple of vids that were supposedly out in Howe Sound...

rab2537

Mar 30, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #9 of 10 (774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea in Malibu Creek State park there is some cool little traverses but nothing big. You can try Humboldt county there's lost rocks and moonstone, houda point. there are some big rocks out in the ocean aswell but the waters is freezing and great whites all over haha.

MonkeyInTraining

Mar 30, 2008, 8:14 PM
Post #10 of 10 (762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rab2537] Deep water soloing in west coast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

another thing, the north pacific is not the friendlist body of water... if you do find something on the coast be very VERY aware of the wave action. People drown in northern california all the time due to a combination of water temp and unexpected riptides or increasing wave height.

Probably alot more practical to concentrate on some of the climbing we do have out here like this place Yosemite... its got a few routes.

err, reply is to OP not Hipclimber. sorry was to lazy to scroll up half a page Tongue

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook